• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Yeah Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch are on point where they could defeat Thanos on 1v1 without stones.
From a storytelling perspective though, they were almost too powerful and were constantly sidelined so guys like Cap and Iron Man can take the center stage, so I'm not sure what you want is aligned to what you will actually get.

Shang-chi getting the rings would be cool but I've always found one of the biggest appeals of the character is that he's just a regular dude that's able to keep up with any superhero or god simply by being really good at martial arts. He's not even like Batman throwing money around to build gadgets and vehicles, Shang-chi just throws hands.
exactly, he's powerful from having sheer effort and will to become the best. No need for anything other than what he is born with.

If this movie doesn't show about only past events like Black Widow, I'm not sure how impressive it will be to beat a two man in the metro after the cosmic and big space wars from Avengers movies. I hope there are different surprises or events. Because Marvel has passed into a very different/scaled phase. And the only movies like Eternals, Doctor Strange 2, Captain Marvel 2 seem to be more satisfying now imo.
lol... the MCU isn't Dragon Ball Z, there's always room to have a smaller scale movie, like Spider Man Far From Home right after Endgame. Plus this is an origin story and you'll be getting more of them, and they arent going to be at the scale you want. Plus 90s style HK action flicks cross with Wuxia spectacle will be visually amazing and not something we've seen in the MCU before. This ain't your average kung fu show on TV.

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I want to see "do a flip" guy explaining to someone how he moved away from NY because of the relentless superhero action and rising insurance costs. Then the bus shit happens.

"C'mon maaan!"

Someone tells him to move somewhere quiet...like Broxton, Oklahoma. (or Stamford, Connecticut lol)

THIS.

I don't understand how many here didn't like the teaser because it didn't explain anything. That's the point! It looks incredible even though I have 0 idea the hell is going on.

Yep. The length of the trailer hasn't been the point of a 'teaser' in a while, it's more about giving a taste of what's to come, to whet the appetite.

There was a thread around here recently dedicated to our favourite teasers. I posted The Matrix, and you have ZERO idea wtf that movie is about, but it hyped people up.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
If this movie doesn't show about only past events like Black Widow, I'm not sure how impressive it will be to beat a two man in the metro after the cosmic and big space wars from Avengers movies. I hope there are different surprises or events. Because Marvel has passed into a very different/scaled phase. And the only movies like Eternals, Doctor Strange 2, Captain Marvel 2 seem to be more satisfying now imo.
I dunno, doesn't it depend on the story? I don't need cosmic level events in every story and fantastically choreographed martial arts are ALWAYS impressive as far as I'm concerned. I don't really see a need for constant escalation. You don't need to convince me that defeating the threat is important to the world. As long as you convince me it's important to our main character that's all the investment I need to enjoy the story.

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know what's the significance of the "Marvel Studios" style they used? Seems it's deliberately "flat" in comparison.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
fuck that. give the mother fucker powers. powers are cool. simple as that. and in this universe, its cool to have powers.
Yet the most popular characters in the universe are Cap and Iron Man, neither of whom have any "real" visible powers beyond what Shang Chi's gonna have, so unless you call dressing up in a robot suit a power (which Shang Chi can always do), I would say you are wrong.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yet the most popular characters in the universe are Cap and Iron Man, neither of whom have any "real" visible powers beyond what Shang Chi's gonna have, so unless you call dressing up in a robot suit a power (which Shang Chi can always do), I would say you are wrong.

are you on drugs? the fuck you mean iron man doesn't have "real visible powers" that shit was pretty visible.

Tony stark is a genius who created his shit.

shang chi just getting into a suit doesn't empower him as a character.

this talk still baffles me. if u want him to just be a straight up martial artist, there's thousands of martial arts films u can just go watch brah

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
are you on drugs? the fuck you mean iron man doesn't have "real visible powers" that shit was pretty visible.

Tony stark is a genius who created his shit.

shang chi just getting into a suit doesn't empower him as a character.

this talk still baffles me. if u want him to just be a straight up martial artist, there's thousands of martial arts films u can just go watch brah
Relax the attitude bro, what's with the escalation? I happen to be a huge fan of the character from the comics and I want to see that character hanging out with the big heroes and BEING JUST AS GOOD AS THEM without any of that fancy equipment shit. I am not 12 so big guns and big powers don't get me off. I rather want to see someone who is unique and compelling and a regular dude who can outpunch someone with the proportionate strength of a spider is that to me.

I think many people still don't get the concept of Shang-Chi... the guy DOES have "superpowers"! It's just that it's not something that's explicit like getting hit with a radioactive gamma ray.., He is simply so good at martial arts that he can do things like stop bullets and be even faster than Spider-Man.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Shang-Chi has powers, right? The ability to control and feel chi seems like a power to me.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Relax the attitude bro, what's with the escalation? I happen to be a huge fan of the character from the comics and I want to see that character hanging out with the big heroes and BEING JUST AS GOOD AS THEM without any of that fancy equipment shit. I am not 12 so big guns and big powers don't get me off. I rather want to see someone who is unique and compelling and a regular dude who can outpunch someone with the proportionate strength of a spider is that to me.

that shit corny as hell. since when wanting a character to be powerful in a universe where there's so many powerful characters make someone be 12? that's some ol bullshit.

like, are you blizzard? "shang chi having powers might make him to op, its cooler if he stays nerfed and just doesn't have powers."

imagine saying "i hope luke cage isn't bullet proof, i rather he just be super strong."

"i hope iron man can only use one beam per fight, and i hope they don't give him hulkbuster suit."

like what?

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Shang-Chi has powers, right? The ability to control and feel chi seems like a power to me.
It's a "power" in that it's something learned, not something he just "gets", but yes.

This is also the big difference between him and Iron Fist, who is also a big chi manipulator. Iron Fist got his powers from killing a dragon and absorbing its supernatural abilities to focus chi. Shang-Chi got his powers all from training on his own. And yet in the comics Shang-Chi can beat Iron Fist again and again.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a "power" in that it's something learned, not something he just "gets", but yes.

This is also the big difference between him and Iron Fist, who is also a big chi manipulator. Iron Fist got his powers from killing a dragon and absorbing its supernatural abilities to focus chi. Shang-Chi got his powers all from training on his own. And yet in the comics Shang-Chi can beat Iron Fist again and again.

no one is asking for him to just magically get powers, just as long as he has some, whether learned or whatever.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

If it's just something learned, than Dr Strange also didn't have power. I'm okay if Shang Chi is simply good at controlling chi that give him seemingly superhuman feat.

Maybe they'll have some visual flourish to accompany that. In the trailer, you see a bunch of soldier in red armor and their stick weapon glows. So just something as simple as that is fine I think.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
no one is asking for him to just magically get powers, just as long as he has some, whether learned or whatever.
Then that's fine. You will get your wish. Shang-Chi's not just some Bruce Lee Jackie Chan action star, he's an actual Marvel character who can hang with the big bois, and in fact broken as a result because he does these crazy things that they just explain away as "its because hes a kung fu master"

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I mean, martial arts isn't "just martial arts" when it comes to fantasy comic book stuff. They are definitely superpowers depending on how writers want to use them. That's been the entire tradition of Asian martial arts novels/comics/tv/movies. Shang Chi doesn't need cloning powers to be cool, as it is with "just" martial arts he can dodge bullets, take on 100 people single handedly, disarm any weapon, block missiles, smash through metal, dismember robots, leap from building to building, wall jump, etc. It's like Neo in the Matrix - "I know Kung Fu" lol. No one questions if Neo has superpowers.

You'll probably see him punch the air with so much force it creates projectiles. And that'll be explained as "just martial arts."

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, martial arts isn't "just martial arts" when it comes to fantasy comic book stuff. They are definitely superpowers depending on how writers want to use them. That's been the entire tradition of Asian martial arts novels/comics/tv/movies. Shang Chi doesn't need cloning powers to be cool, as it is with "just" martial arts he can dodge bullets, take on 100 people single handedly, disarm any weapon, block missiles, smash through metal, dismember robots, leap from building to building, wall jump, etc. It's like Neo in the Matrix - "I know Kung Fu" lol. No one questions if Neo has superpowers.

You'll probably see him punch the air with so much force it creates projectiles. And that'll be explained as "just martial arts."

idk if neo is a good example. They literally explained the context of the world he was in and how he would be able to manipulate things. It wasnt just the kung fu and wasnt just explained as "kung fu is doing this"

anyways, what you're arguing wasnt even my point

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Just make them watch some 风云 for education, lol.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As the universe grows, some of ya'll are gonna have to come to terms with the fact that not every character is gonna be fighting Thanos tier villains.

Shang Chi is plenty powerful for the types of threats he's going to be coming into contact with, and those threats aren't shit that will be on the radar of The Avengers.

Oct 25, 2017
god that BMW getting run over by the bus...thats the saddest thing ever put to film since they destroyed the half pipe in freddy got fingered

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
As the universe grows, some of ya'll are gonna have to come to terms with the fact that not every character is gonna be fighting Thanos tier villains.

Shang Chi is plenty powerful for the types of threats he's going to be coming into contact with, and those threats aren't shit that will be on the radar of The Avengers.
The clip had dragons and giant dogs.

No way will Shang-Chi be just a very talented martial artist in the MCU.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

considering he will probably teaming up with the avengers, that last sentence doesnt make sense

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Tony Stark had a whole movie about a fake Manderin tho, lol.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the writer. Most of the time he's just a martial artist who punches above what one would think are the limits of a normal human. Other writers outright give him clear super powers though. This movie seems to be going on a fantasy route, so I wouldn't be that surprised if we end up more on the super side by the end of the movie.
Bc02hsn.jpg

hmnVVdT.jpg

KtDSGp8.jpg

GV5liTb.jpg

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Every MCU thread has that one annoying as fuck topic that people can't let go. I see we've already identified Shang-Chi's: "he's got no powers, what's the point of his existence then?"

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Every MCU thread has that one annoying as fuck topic that people can't let go. I see we've already identified Shang-Chi's: "he's got no powers, what's the point of his existence then?"
Which is really odd when 2 of the original avengers (Widow and Hawkeye) have no powers.

Peter and rocket raccoon have no powers.

Falcon has no powers.

I'm sure I'm missing people.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017

Here I thought it was nice that the trailer is getting a lot of support.

This (pitifully) would make more sense

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
considering he will probably teaming up with the avengers, that last sentence doesnt make sense

Falcon and the Winter Soldier has Sam and Bucky going up against non-Thanos level threats in their own series, but when it's time for a major team up it's on Marvel to give them something cool to do. Endgame had Hawkeye running through some tunnels with the Infinity Gauntlet and I thought that part was pretty tense.

Hawkeye's 'superpower' is 'can shoot a bow and arrow real good' and he's been part of the MCU for ages now. And they somehow sort of make it feel like he adds something. Shang Chi being a bad ass 'Kung Fu master' seems at least as good to me as Hawkeye's entire thing. Haven't read any of his comics, but reading this thread I get the idea Marvel can use his Chi manipulation in some real flexible ways.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the cloning stuff, I saw this clip from the mobile game Future Fight where he uses the power, and the way that game portrays the power is less like creating physical copies of himself, and more like creating multiple astral projections that are used like Shadow Clone Jutsu.

It's interesting because there is now a precedent with Wanda for someone being able to use an astral projection while their body is still conscious. Also, I could see with this sort of interpretation of the power, it wouldn't be as much a "spell" but a way of tapping into one's own chi or life force and would be another interesting layer of the Astral Plane that goes along with how we've seen it in Doctor Strange and Black Panther. Wakanda doesn't use magic to enter the Astral Plane either explicitly, it's done through ceremony and drinking the Heart-shaped herb.

iu

Even when the Ancient One pushes Strange's astral form from his body, it's almost done in echos rather than just his soul cleanly leaving his body and we've seen how someone's astral form can interact with the material world.

Maybe we see Shang Chi able to astral project through meditation at first and then at some point it's like every astral form duplication is like separate parts of his soul/consciousness viewing things from different perspectives and moments simultaneously, which he uses in combat.

Oct 27, 2017
they obviously don't have to have Shang-Chi shoot energy beams like a cultivation manga or anything, but there's plenty of ways to "power up" the character without having to fall back on MCU tropes.

i hope they go full wuxia with movement techniques, energy resistance, pressure points/meridians etc. there's loads of literature and media from across the centuries that they could draw inspiration from

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look at previous posts in this thread. I believe they know what they're doing, whatever route they take, but it's clear not everyone is that confident.
It's weird, people are treating movie characters like they're a gacha roster or some shit. He can just be a dude that kicks a lot of ass.