• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
mmmm I dig that red/black color scheme and transition.

Was this video not made well, or does the movie have that many tiny jumpcuts? Because I found that it detracted a bit from the fight.

It's a scene from Warrior on HBO. I didn't find the way the scene was cut distracting at all, personally.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
She plays the same lovable idiot sidekick a lot. Just thinking, Oceans, CRA, etc. I thought she was only okay in Farewell tbh. She was one of the weaker actresses to me. I think she's getting a bit pigeonholed in her roles (that I've seen her in, at least).

I thought this took place in SF mostly, though I guess I'm okay if it moves to modern day HK.

Michelle Yeoh being in this is going to be really interesting. I just sort of wished they cast someone with better kungfu skills for the role.

SPEAKING OF

Off topic but my god Joe Taslim is fucking amazing. I didn't even know who he was before Warrior, but goddamn once I saw him fight I was like.... this guy is the real deal. He would have been a perfect Shang Chi imho.

edit:

I mean, look at how smooth Taslim is. His moves are fluid af, such talent.

Hoping we see people like Joe Taslim, Andrew Koji and Iko Uwais pop up in this franchise if it gets sequels eventually.

And yeah Warrior is an incredible show and Taslim's movements are so fluid, glad he's Sub Zero.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I'm 95% certain they will give him the cloning ability in this movie. and over the course of the mcu he will continually improve it.

i can honestly see them hold the cloning ability tucked away from all the trailers (since they don't need it to sell the movie) and it be a big reveal in the movie.
I think people are overblowing the whole cloning thing tbh.. he had that power for a small bit in the comics but in the latest limited series he doesn't even do it anymore. It's really not an important part of his character.

I get that people want him to be a powerhouse but keep in mind one of the most popular superheroes in the world is just a rich dude who dresses like a bat. It's not power that makes a character interesting.

No. It has been said that in close combat he is most likely strongest human. I think he is going to be Captain America tier.

Can block gun shots with his wristbands or dodge bullets.
He can catch bullets too - did it in the latest run.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are overblowing the whole cloning thing tbh.. he had that power for a small bit in the comics but in the latest limited series he doesn't even do it anymore. It's really not an important part of his character.

while it may not be important to his character, it does make him more powerful in a world where power levels are way beyond just close combat.

so I get why others would want that. and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting that. to argue against it is more wierd.

I get that people want him to be a powerhouse but keep in mind one of the most popular superheroes in the world is just a rich dude who dresses like a bat. It's not power that makes a character interesting.

this is lacking context tho. that dude is able to afford ways to not require crazy power....and can afford ways to give him crazy power ie batman v superman.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
She plays the same lovable idiot sidekick a lot. Just thinking, Oceans, CRA, etc. I thought she was only okay in Farewell tbh. She was one of the weaker actresses to me. I think she's getting a bit pigeonholed in her roles (that I've seen her in, at least).

I thought this took place in SF mostly, though I guess I'm okay if it moves to modern day HK.

Michelle Yeoh being in this is going to be really interesting. I just sort of wished they cast someone with better kungfu skills for the role.

SPEAKING OF

Off topic but my god Joe Taslim is fucking amazing. I didn't even know who he was before Warrior, but goddamn once I saw him fight I was like.... this guy is the real deal. He would have been a perfect Shang Chi imho.

edit:

I have to say that I am more excited that Warrior got renewed for probably more than one season than for Shang Chi. The character and the teaser still feels a bit of orientalism to me. Of course it's about his foreign dad and ancestry in China and he spends most of the movie fighting other evil Asians. The new Kung Fu series have similar problems as well.

Warrior does it right and is more timely.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't hone on it too hard but its a trope marvel films seem to enoy. A fun twist would be a Marvel film where the son turns out to be evil with a aging father having to use the last bit of his powers to take him down. Would be something different vs the "sin of the father trope" atleast imo
All the people directing these movies hate their fathers because they said they could never make kino

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say that I am more excited that Warrior got renewed for probably more than one season than for Shang Chi. The character and the teaser still feels a bit of orientalism to me. Of course it's about his foreign dad and ancestry in China and he spends most of the movie fighting other evil Asians. The new Kung Fu series have similar problems as well.

yea....Florian Muneanu screams "evil asian"

I disagree with your assessment. it looks like a westernized asian struggling with his asian ancestry. pretty dope

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
this is lacking context tho. that dude is able to afford ways to not require crazy power....and can afford ways to give him crazy power ie batman v superman.
I'm sure if the story dictates it Shang Chi can equip himself with some high tech equipment made by the Wakadans that can let him take on those more powerful guys too. Giving himself superpowers fundamentally changes his character. Might as well make him an Asian Iron Fist instead.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Liked the trailer, but Marvel really needs to try something different besides making more movies set in San Francisco or New York City or just USA in general. There is a whole world out there, and given how many changes they are making to Shang-Chi as is, it wouldn't have hurt to set it elsewhere in the world. If they wanted to do West Coast NA, why not something different like Vancouver?

Hoping to see Shanghai, or other Asian cities in the movie as well. Really looking forward to this and absolutely love Simu Liu.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

I want him to be powerhouse, because currently MCU is full of these stupidly powerful characters and we are getting more of them. We are also getting villains who are literally god killers etc.

And hey. Cloning is so freaking cool and special ability!

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
@everyone saying "it's just a teaser". Gimme a break. At over 2 minutes long this is a full on trailer. They can call it whatever they like, but real teasers are less than a minute and barely show anything.

That said, I have no problem with the trailer not outlining the plot or telling us more specifically about Shang-Chi. There was enough here to get people interested IMO. And there will be other trailers before release anyways.
Marvel pretty consistently waits for their second trailer, or rather the "official trailer" to give us the story trailer that presents the plot.

The teaser may be the length of a full trailer, but the reason they seem to not have it be nothing more than a literal tease (which few studios seem to care to do anymore) is because it's mostly used to set a tone. It's less about being a tease for a bigger trailer, and more about giving people a taste of the movie's premise and themes before they do the hand-holding to walk people through what the plot and themes of the movie are going to be about.

Last edited:

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure if the story dictates it Shang Chi can equip himself with some high tech equipment made by the Wakadans that can let him take on those more powerful guys too. Giving himself superpowers fundamentally changes his character. Might as well make him an Asian Iron Fist instead.

why would he use equipment and high tech power? that changes his character in the idea that he is a close combat character that relies on martial arts, not tech. i don't see how cloning himself effects any of that and wouldn't contradict his character at all? not wanting him to have powers is super corny and questionable when you have characters in a universe with powers. ain't nothing wrong with making him being an asian ironfist as well. Give him all the powers u can imo. shit, is it wrong for the one leading asian hero in the mcu to have some damn powers ? lmfao stop it

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
The whole overbearing Asian father who wants his son to do what his dad wants despite making a life for himself in America is literally my life right now.

Seeing how Marvel's Black Panther movie was able to look at some serious social issues in the world of Black people in America, I became hopeful that Marvel's Shang-Chi movie could do the same for the Asian diaspora throughout the western world.

Given that the MCU Shang-Chi is the son of The Mandarin, the REAL Mandarin, I instantly became hopeful that this movie could include themes of the conflict between Asian parents and their westernized children, and how Asian parents THINK they know what's best for their children and therefore are entitled to control virtually all aspects of their children lives - even well into their adulthood. BUT, in reality, Asian parents are too unfamiliar with the western world, their knowledge is of the past and is often insufficient for the future or even the present, so they are actually inadvertently setting their children up for failure in successfully navigating life in the West.

I was hopeful that in the inevitable face off between The Mandarin and Shang-Chi, between father and son, they would air out this conflict, address the divide between good intentions and a world in which the actions derived from those good intentions lead to failure or worse...

"I gave you 10 years to live your life. And where did that get you?"

"You walked in my shadow"

"Son, it's time for you to take your place by my side" / "That's not going to happen"

"You can't outrun who you really are"

HOLY SHIT! NO WAY! AM I GOING TO GET WHAT I DREAMED OF?!

DAY MOTHERFUCKING ONE!!!

I will be fully vaccinated by September - I am definitely watching this in theaters!

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I know some people here referenced Crouching Tiger for some scenes. I actually got a much more Hero-vibe from the trailer (at least as far as the fight scenes are concerned).

Maybe it's the colors?

Or maybe because Tony Leung is in it, too.

Haha I'm happy for everything. Warrior is sometimes a bit hard for me to watch (the racism and gore make me a bit uncomfortable).

I imagine Shang Chi will be much easier to watch, even though I think the fight choreography will be vastly inferior to a show like Warrior.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Whatever his powerset ends up being, I just hope he's very important/prominent in the grand scheme of things. Wanda for example is easily one of the most powerful Avengers, but she was underutilized until WandaVision came out, and as such is only now starting to get on the right track in terms of doing her character full justice. In comparison, Cap was just peak human, but of course he was a pillar of the MCU and got lots of screentime and highlights despite the threats above his pay grade.

So whatever powerset he does end up having, I'm mainly hoping they do right by him in terms of his importance relative to the other superheroes, given that he's our first Asian superhero lead in the MCU. Of course, he's off to a good start at least since he's getting his own movie.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
why would he use equipment and high tech power? that changes his character in the idea that he is a close combat character that relies on martial arts, not tech. i don't see how cloning himself effects any of that and wouldn't contradict his character at all? not wanting him to have powers is super corny and questionable when you have characters in a universe with powers. ain't nothing wrong with making him being an asian ironfist as well. Give him all the powers u can imo. shit, is it wrong for the one leading asian hero in the mcu to have some damn powers ? lmfao stop it

EXACTLY!

I dont want him to shoot laser beams. Cloning would just mean that instead of one Shang fighting hand to hand someone, there could be two or three of them.

It would still Be all about martial arts

Bl1nX28

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Seeing how Marvel's Black Panther movie was able to look at some serious social issues in the world of Black people in America, I became hopeful that Marvel's Shang-Chi movie could do the same for the Asian diaspora throughout the western world.

Given that the MCU Shang-Chi is the son of The Mandarin, the REAL Mandarin, I instantly became hopeful that this movie could include themes of the conflict between Asian parents and their westernized children, and how Asian parents THINK they know what's best for their children and therefore are entitled to control virtually all aspects of their children lives - even well into their adulthood. BUT, in reality, Asian parents are too unfamiliar with the western world, their knowledge is of the past and is often insufficient for the future or even the present, so they are actually inadvertently setting their children up for failure in successfully navigating life in the West.

I was hopeful that in the inevitable face off between The Mandarin and Shang-Chi, between father and son, they would air out this conflict, address the divide between good intentions and a world in which the actions derived from those good intentions lead to failure or worse...

"I gave you 10 years to live your life. And where did that get you?"

"You walked in my shadow"

"Son, it's time for you to take your place by my side" / "That's not going to happen"

"You can't outrun who you really are"

HOLY SHIT! NO WAY! AM I GOING TO GET WHAT I DREAMED OF?!

DAY MOTHERFUCKING ONE!!!

I will be fully vaccinated by September - I am definitely watching this in theaters!
Yeah I liked BP up until the the final battle but it made up for it with it's ending. I just wish it didn't have to end like most marvel movies with cgi spectacles. I would rather have a final battle of philosophies and ideas. But I get it's a superhero film and villains have to die by default.

I would have like the dialogue between T'chlla and Erik to be much longer as both in their own minds were right in some ways and wrong in others. However I will concede that would have made for a boring finale.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the "I dont want him to be powerful" rhetoric is super weird to me still.. you ain't hear anyone say that about them white boys.

thankfully it seems to be a very quiet rhetoric in here.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area

i will never forgive them for casting a british japanese guy to play a chinese character that barely gave a shit to practice his cantonese for that first episode of Warrior. inexcusable

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Very dope trailer. It was a surprise for me in a couple ways because: I didn't know this was going to be a full theatrical pic, I did not know it was coming out this year, and Tony Leung is in this shit?

I'm onboard. And I'm loving the Wuxia. Hopefully they allow the stunt people to actually show off their fighting talents without too many cuts. Like I digged the knife play in The Winter Soldier, but they need to go beyond that and more here and let us see all that goes into even the "simple" stuff.

And the typical MCU pathos in the teaser made me yawn a bit, but overall the teaser did more than enough to at least get my watch when it comes out for home viewing.

Last edited:

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Definitely excited for it especially with how good the mcu has been so far since endgame.
Do we know who donnie yen is playing?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
This looks...fine?

The action, aside from that CGI horde mode scene looks promising at least.

I know this really doesn't impact their profit line at all, but damn these films just look so visually dull. I was shocked to see Bill Pope's name on this, because this looks as if it was directed by an AI like Captain Marvel and Black Widow.

It's only a teaser though.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hype.

Was talking to some of my friends about the trailer and the casual dismissal of Simu and wanting a more 'handsome' actor to portray Shang Chi. LOL I can't even, kpop rotting brains out here.

The action looks promising and that supporting cast. Kunai work too whew. Not worried at all about Shang's power level down the line tbh. He's casually swinging that huge ass sword no normal human could in a blink and you'll miss it fight with his father (1:23).

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
This looks...fine?

I know this really doesn't impact their profit line at all, but damn these films just look so visually dull. I was shocked to see Bill Pope's name on this, because this looks as if it was directed by an AI like Captain Marvel and Black Widow.

Yeah a lot of these movies looking dull. It is what it is though, don't really expect anything different on that point from marvel anymore so I stopped whining about it. But it's just good to see this type of choreography and having the camera stay on frame with it too.

Bl1nX28

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
This looks...fine?

I agree. I wasn't really pumped about it. After 18 origins stories that follow the same beats rarely deviating from them, it just feels like most Marvel films are stagnant storytelling wise. I also dislike the fact they have to shoehorn in a shared universe which imo limits the creative freedom of directors and writers.

It's like Disney places limits on creativity when it comes to thier films.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely no idea what Shang Chi is about, had never even heard the name before the movie was announced.
Just watched the trailer and I'm completely onboard, looks great.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

He can catch bullets too - did it in the latest run.
I think the focus on his powerset underscores not only the long and glaring lack of a mainsteam Asian superhero (emphasis on "super"), but the fact that every white superhero has not just fighting and martial arts training as their basic default ability as a hero, but there are multiple white protagonists over decades of films (not just in Marvel/superhero movies) that are trained in Asian martial arts, especially since you bring up Batman. It makes even an Asian protagonist that is supposed to be a master martial artist seem less special. Cloning techniques would certainly make him unique in the MCU.

It's bad enough that there is the stereotype that has often painted Asian characters in fiction as only being significant for their martial arts skills, but it's also something that has been whitewashed in film of it's history (often literally) to also strip any Asianess and culture from fighting techniques that are pretty explicitly derived from Asian cultures. I'd say even Marvel Studios has been guilty of this as well to some degree despite their attempt to sidestep potential problematic aspects of stereotyping Asian characters as martial artists or whatnot by casting diverse people to be parts of groups typically associated with ethnic groups, but there is also a degree of erasure there when you take cultural touchstones and sidestep it rather than attempting to tackle some of the baggage that comes with it (if you care about acknowledging and addressing the potential nature connected to some of that imagery and associations with the real world). That's why a hero who is supposed to be an amazing fighter can seem underwhelming when we have characters who already are supposed to be among the best fighters like Captain America, but he also has a special shield and the super soldier serum on top of that.

There already looks to be a lot of magical and fantastical stuff going on in the trailer, so I'm not worried. I think they'll probably do something like have Shang Chi's ability to focus his chi to be able to do some cool stuff. Maybe that may lead to other cool abilities as well, and I think that is all people want; a unique character with something unique and cool about him.

JCmasta

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
Honestly, if you took the "MARVEL STUDIOS" tag off this and BLACK WIDOW, they'd just be random action flicks that look like nothing we haven't seen before a million times.

Should be a fun popcorn movie, at least!

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a lot of these movies looking dull. It is what it is though, don't really expect anything different on that point from marvel anymore so I stopped whining about it. But it's just good to see this type of choreography and having the camera stay on frame with it too.
Chloe Zhao is the last hope for visual flair in this franchise. I'm holding out for Eternals lol.

I suppose Avengers taught them they could cheap out on that aspect and still hit a billion dollars.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Trailer looked fun. I'm excited for it.

I am a little more interested in how he and his cast integrate into the rest of the MCU than I am of the film itself. There looks like a wealth of cool things that could get brought into the fold through his film(s) in the same way Black Panther and Doctor Strange kinda restructured the toy box everyone gets to play in.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
more the HK-style choreography. Post-bourne I feel like all action movies (the cap films included if we're talking Marvel) have opted for that style of krav-maga/tactical hand to hand shit. to see these flourishes coming back though got me hyped.

hope Gareth Evans starts making more films again too.
He has an action movie with Tom Hardy and Forest Whitaker coming to Netflix, plus an exclusive deal for more projects, but I think he's done with Indonesian martial arts

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

SPEAKING OF

edit:

The crazy thing is that he only had professional Judo training before The Raid. He learned how to do screen fighting and choreography and other styles (ie Silat) for/during The Raid. That was his debut too

pxleyes

Oct 25, 2017
5kwazz1yo4u61.jpg
MCU threads (clothing threads) for sure. Amazing how consistent they keep all their uniforms.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, if you took the "MARVEL STUDIOS" tag off this and BLACK WIDOW, they'd just be random action flicks that look like nothing we haven't seen before a million times.

Should be a fun popcorn movie, at least!
Reading the comments, I almost feel like it's the opposite.

People poo poo this or dismiss it because it says "Marvel Studios" where if this was it's own thing, people wouldn't hyperfocus on the ways it looks like other actions films and instead judge it more on it's own merits.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I think the focus on his powerset underscores not only the long and glaring lack of a mainsteam Asian superhero (emphasis on "super"), but the fact that every white superhero has not just fighting and martial arts training as their basic default ability as a hero, but there are multiple white protagonists over decades of films (not just in Marvel/superhero movies) that are trained in Asian martial arts, especially since you bring up Batman. It makes even an Asian protagonist that is supposed to be a master martial artist seem less special. Cloning techniques would certainly make him unique in the MCU.
I get it. I just think that there is an appeal to a guy who worked so hard to get good at martial arts he can go toe-to-toe with powered superheroes with his bare hands and even come out on top (like he did multiple times with Spider-Man). There's an element of being an underdog with no preexisting advantage and still coming out on top that is inherently Asian-American that I personally connect with.

Recent quote from Simu Liu BTW about Shang Chi beating Iron Man or Hulk in a fight
screenrant.com

Simu Liu Is Confident Shang-Chi Could Beat Iron Man Or Hulk In A Fight

He decides who would win in a pretend MCU fight.
We know it's unlikely, but imagine they show that and a powerless dude like Shang Chi can come out on top through pure skill, concentration and wit... that makes the character, not some dumb superpower that makes him just another hero from Marvel.

Last edited:

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Very excited for this although I thought the trailer was a bit underwhelming. I appreciate not wanting to give too much away when the film is four months out but at the same time I was hoping for one really wow martial arts moment and hoped they had enough of them in the film to give one away in the ad. Still, very hyped.

IAs a side note, it is great to see Tony Leung in a Marvel movie. I know he probably doesnt give a fuck about being in Hollywood movies and it is 30 years too late at any rate but still, nice to see Little Tony getting that cash!

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Chances of him wielding the Ten Rings at the end of the movie?

I do hope it doesn't take a long time before we get a team-up movie... it doesn't even have to Avengers-size... it can be Civil War style with just a couple of them.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
for one, i don't believe he will be your only asian hero....

I have a strong feeling that Korean hulk and Silk will be joining the foray eventually...among others.

secondly, he will probably have the cloning ability (think naruto but not to that degree).

so that will put him up a level.

and from my understanding, no one in the mcu has ever beaten him 1v1. (am I right about that? could have sworn I read that somewhere).

I hear you, I know about silk and Luna Snow and the White Fox, but they have not yet made that transition. My hope is since this takes place partly in California, it's a set up for agents of atlas. Just a little worried about Shang chi

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Plus a big appeal of all those is another corner of the MCU being revealed. That it's a kung-fu marital-arts mythos side of the MCU is a draw all on its own, just like "here's the sorcery side of the MCU", "here's the weird cosmic side of the MCU", and soon "here's the vampire/monster side of the MCU"
This feels like an underappreciated aspect of this movie. It's not hard to imagine a new corner of the MCU, along with dozens of story options to draw from, being unlocked through the introduction of Shang-Chi, the real Mandarin, and the ten rings. I'm also liking the prediction by another poster that the rings are arm-sized as a way to better tie them back to their alien creators.

And still, as a longtime fan of the comics (with obviously my personal preferences; never liked 4F and some of the most popular mutants), I think there is going to be less and less interesting characters left.
My dude...It's a little disingenuous to say Marvel is running out of "good characters" based partly on your personal preference of not liking F4 and most popular mutants. Those two groups alone can easily give the MCU at least a decade of good characters, storylines, crossovers, and villains.

But let's step back from that for a moment. What defines "good characters" in the world of Marvel comics when you look at them through the lens of the general, movie-going public (because comic fans alone don't drive billion-dollar box office grosses)? I'd argue there aren't many characters that are truly popular or well known with the general public outside of Spider-Man, F4, X-Men, and a couple of the Avengers (Captain America and Hulk). And we've already seen that "good" and "popular" characters alone don't automatically result in "good" or "successful" movies...

The MCU is going to create good characters.

Ten years ago do you think the general public would ever have an interest in watching a serialized TV show starring the Scarlet Witch and Vision or the Falcon and the Winter Soldier? Or a movie about Black Widow? We even have an entire series starring LOKI that looks freaking nuts and could generate a ton of positive word of mouth if it meets its potential. Loki could have easily been a joke of a character in the MCU, but Marvel nailed the casting and his characterization. Generally speaking, I'm a fan of Marvel and I would have laughed in your face if you told me 15 years ago that: 1) Loki was getting his own TV show, and 2) that I would actually be very excited to watch it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Shang Chi can't clone himself. The only reason why he did that one time was because he went into an alien plant pod created by alien architects that artificially grow lifeforms to seed life on barren or destitute planets. He cloned himself because the plant pod spit out what were essentially humans anyway and used it to replicate himself for one specific task.

Shang Chi isn't going to have alien plant pods in the movie and the dude doesn't know how to perform Shadow Clone Jutsu, so he's not going to clone himself.

He'll use Pym Particles to fight a giant dragon that uses Madripoor as a hat in a movie before he does the Shadow Clone Jutsu.