• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
lmao it really is the 'do a flip' guy

image.png

To the person who said they were surprised to see no big important MCU connection: CHECKMATE.

svqz40k3w4u61.png

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
He's a king fu expert, he doesn't have any powers, and since when does the McGuffin get any coverage in teasers...?

its Phase 4 and a new origin movie... why do they need crossovers?? If this is what you feel about this wait until the Eternals trailer comes out.

To help ensure the film's success? People don't know who Shang-Chi is. He's not clearly a super hero, unlike someone like Thor. People might see this and think it's just a not particularly interesting kung fu film.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
To help ensure the film's success? People don't know who Shang-Chi is. He's not clearly a super hero, unlike someone like Thor. People might see this and think it's just a not particularly interesting kung fu film.
Yeah, people aren't really sure what 'Marvel Studios' means...

Unlike Doctor Strange's teaser which totally shows off all his superhero qualities like... being flung backwards

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Akwafina's voice twice as loud as everything else in the trailer?

Anyway, looks good, can't wait to watch.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

this is how you know it's going to make a billion dollars

Yes, because having "Marvel Studios" appear is enough to guarantee its success.

worked for guardians of the galaxy, black panther, captain marvel, dr strange

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Literally says "MARVEL STUDIOS" in big letters 12 seconds into the trailer. I mean this is literally how they introduce all of their new franchises... Like did Doctor Strange's trailer have any crossovers? GOG? The original Thor?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Speaking personally, I am still on a roll of just loving everything MCU does. Looking forward to this a lot.

It helps that I'm part-Korean, though I understand that I don't have claim to the same level of excitement as full-Asians and Asian-Americans with this. I also admit that my entire exposure to the Shang-Chi character is strictly limited to Jonathan Hickman's Avengers run, where he was cool but wasn't very present.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Captain Marvel made a billion+

Groot is a household name

Wanda and Vision had a sitcom/drama that dominated conversation week-to-week

Pretty sure they know what they're doing...

Anti-Asian racism extremely high. Disney has failed with films that tried to appeal to the Chinese market. This looks like another one of those to me

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I always already psyched but holy shit am I fucking psyched. There's some legit Wuxia-ass shit in this thing and I fucking love it.

I'm particularly loving the change on the Mandarin's rings assuming that's what those are supposed to be, there's so much shit that makes it make so much fucking sense it's blowing my goddamn mind.

Captain Marvel made a billion+

Groot is a household name

Wanda and Vision had a sitcom/drama that dominated conversation week-to-week

Pretty sure they know what they're doing...

They're releasing an Eternals movie two months after this.

This is the fucking timeline we're in someone hold me.

Oct 25, 2017
Not too familiar with the character, didn't know what to expect before watching this. But the important part is that I came out interested! Looks fun. I'll see it.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Action in the trailer looked better than 85% of the fight scenes in the MCU. For someone that doesn't know much, trailer looked interesting but need to see a bit more.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
...the fuck does any of this mean? Half the trailer is him literally doing his thing, which is combat. The Ten Rings have nothing to do with it, nor his skills.

I'm reading the wiki for the character now and he definitely gets powers and magic doodads (and before that, focuses "chi" for superhuman feats), he isn't just a normal guy, so no idea why you're being so aggro.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what is so hard to understand about someone having an opinion about a teaser trailer. Wether the opinion is super positive or somewhat muted it's still based on almost zero material. So like the people saying everything they see looks awesome, I think all looks great except the main guy. I love the palette, love the directing style we get to glimpse, I love the more fantastic elements, I like Awkafina so I'm exited she's in it. I just don't like the look of the main character and I think he looks bland, in the same way I think plenty actors look bland.
Maybe I'm wrong and he will end up being great, but like evryone in this thread I based my opinion on the small snippet we all just saw

This is like calling a black lead "too street"

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
So like, Warrior, the new Kung Fu series and now this are all set in San Francisco lol

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Excited to see this. Looking like it stands on its own a lot compared to all of the other MCU movies that love shoving characters from other movies down your throat. Ill go see this movie twice in a theater if I can watch it without someone mentioning Tony Stark.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
The fights look solid, so I'm in for that. Since it's an origin movie, I'm not expecting ground-breaking, and that's totally OK. Ant-Man I expected little from and really enjoyed it, and this has more going for it to me already (the fight scenes).

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017

The identity of this character, Death Dealer, will likely be a major reveal. Wonder who they are going to be.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Anti-Asian racism extremely high. Disney has failed with films that tried to appeal to the Chinese market. This looks like another one of those to me
Are folks really comparing a live action, songless, remake of Mulan that nobody wanted from day one to a MCU movie? Some people think Mulan failed because it "tried to appeal to the Chinese market" and not because it was a bland movie? Anti-Black racism has always been high and Black Panther was a huge success because at the end of the day people are able to separate the people from the product they are consuming. Just look at who plays professional sports vs who watches it. If Shang Chi reviews well/has dope action everyone will see it.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Bummer. At least we live in an era where it will be on digital video in 3 months anyways. Surely, Disney knows that there are people like me who won't be going back right away for caution reasons?

If you don't mind, I would suggest not writing off being in public with others for the rest of the year yet. Listen to the experts on this, who were saying last year that by this fall, we should be able to go to concerts again.

If you're vaccinated by September, you shouldn't fear being in public. Be cautious in that you should watch the numbers but keep in mind that COVID is never going away. It will still exist in 2022 as well and we will never hit a point where 100% of the population is vaccinated.

But trust the science. If pace keeps up (25% of the population in America is now vaccinated) and you yourself are vaccinated in September and you really want to see a film in the theater, odds are high that it's going to be okay for you to go.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
They should have made Iron Fist an Asian and went with him.

He is so much cooler than Shang, plus he had quite a few good stories these last few years

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Are folks really comparing a live action, songless, remake of Mulan that nobody wanted from day one to a MCU movie? Some people think Mulan failed because it "tried to appeal to the Chinese market" and not because it was a bland movie?

I don't think Mulan failed because it was trying to appeal to the Chinese market. I think it failed precisely because it was a bland movie. That's what this looks like to me so far.