• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty cool! If anything, the fight scenes will probably be cool.
They seem to have a kung fu movie vibes but with unlimited budget and some nice looking cinematography.
Def looking forward to this one more than Black Widow

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Looks pretty cool. But also super average.
Is this character a regular human, enhanced like captain america or does he actually have supernatural abilities?
He is a regular dude who has trained himself up so hard that he can beat up super humans like Spider-Man

We're at the point where they're dipping into the back benches - Shang-Chi and Eternals are two properties that aren't really important parts of the Marvel universe and haven't had any major comic runs in 40+ years.
Shang Chi as a property has been on Marvels radar for a movie for 2 decades though. He was part of the initial properties that formed the collateral for the formation of Marvel Studios (along side Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, etc.)... They tried to get the guy who choreographed Crouching Tigers Hidden Dragon to direct it back in 2002. So even if they haven't been making comics for him (which is changing this year when he gets his first ongoing comic) this isn't necesscarily a "back of bench" property either.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
So the rings have gone from alien tech modified to fit on fingers to legendary and possibly magical rings that go on your arms like that one fighting style? So given the title and the trailer, Shang Chi was supposed to inherit them, but they've ended up with the Mandarin and he needs to get them back?

I'm pretty cool with that, as long as Shang Chi ends up with them going forward. Adding a mystical element to his fighting style would make him a big player in the MCU. In the comics, the rings all had differing abilities, so I'd be really excited if they could implement different powers/elements depending on what fighting style he's using at the time.

Nah, I'd really like for Shang Chi to not have any mystical powers. In the comics, he can go toe to toe with most people without any powerups already.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
The actual answer is that's about as far as they intended to take The Mandarin until the backlash against the Trevor twist and they backpedaled with "oh the real one is still out there..."

Yeah they even filmed a one shot about this then hid it on the thor 2 blu ray. Those marvel one shots were fun. I wish they were on D+

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Yeah they even filmed a one shot about this then hid it on the thor 2 blu ray. Those marvel one shots were fun. I wish they were on D+
Frankly I wish they took the opportunity to do One Shots and put them ahead of their theatrical releases, like a Pixar short. Maybe some are more actiony, but others can be just quiet and human.

Take a chance to explore a moment of these characters that has nothing to do with a larger movie, but lets some filmmakers do an isolated bit of exploration there.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Looks dope. I really liked the choreography. I want to see the rings in action.

One day we'll get this too. One day...

Screenshot-2020-05-17-Immortal-Iron-Fist-2006-20.png

Fraction and Brubaker run with the all the inmortal weapons, that would be the dream.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Damn yall, as someone who's Asian, really felt chills finally seeing a main Asian marvel hero. Can't fucking wait! My ass is fully vaccinated so I'll be in those theaters.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are we finally going to have a Marvel project with kickass martial arts fights? Please let this somehow lead to reintroducing Iron Fist into the MCU and them doing the Immortal Weapons tournament.

Also make Iron Fist not be a white guy.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I'd really like for Shang Chi to not have any mystical powers. In the comics, he can go toe to toe with most people without any powerups already.

I can understand that - though in the Hickman Avengers run, they gave him tech upgrades (light armor and weapons). There's a lot of martial arts in the MCU as it is, so I'm mostly wanting something visually distinct (and if he's going to be punching CGI villains down the line, might as well give him a visual flourish to match). My guess though is that rings are going to function like the time Mandarin had them fused to his own spine in the comics: as a source of Chi to enhance his physical traits so he can take hits from/do damage to super powered foes.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe my eyes are failing me but did I see CGI fist fighting? The great thing about wire fu is that it wasn't CGI.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The shot in the forest looks... bad, it feels way too much like it's on a set and not a natural forest.

Aside from that, it looks good.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Looks pretty cool. But also super average.
Is this character a regular human, enhanced like captain america or does he actually have supernatural abilities?
Usually just martial arts. He knows how to manipulate chi but that's usually just mental strength or concentration techniques. A couple of times it has been portrayed as basically magic though.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The trailer didn't do much for me, but I'm a big martial arts cinema fan so I'm hoping this turns out good.

alba

Oct 27, 2017
MI
I can't wait, feels like we've been without big MCU movies for like 5 years, bring it on!

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So... Shang-chi Will definitely end up with those 10 rings right? Like, there's a reason why dudes missing his gauntlets and the rings conveniently arent "rings" anymore.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't look very good at all. Very bland, thought it would've popped more personally. Haven't really been too excited about any of the Marvel offerings after Endgame. I really hope they don't just retread a bunch of hero origin stories again.

Cinematography by Bill "The Matrix trilogy" Pope btw.
This gives me some hope. Works with Edgar Wright and Sam Raimi too. Could deliver some real awesome stuff.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lmao it really is the 'do a flip' guy

image.png

To the person who said they were surprised to see no big important MCU connection: CHECKMATE.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
I like everything I see except the main actor. He has really zero charisma. That's kind of a bummer but hopefully the movie can still be great.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Looks okay but I still don't know what his powers are or what the ten rings are from that trailer, so that kind of means it failed on its most basic task.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I found that a bit dull. I think they'll need to emphasize that it's a Marvel film in the future with some sort of crossover in the future.