• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's going forward because Thanos is the most famous Eternal and we just got done with him so it's time to learn about the rest of them, and Eternals plants story seeds for both X-Men and F4. It's going forward because Marvel Cosmic is expanding and because they can do Eternals and make it into a billion dollar franchise, while giving X-Men and F4 time to bake. It's not one replacing the other, one comes before the other chronologically in the history of the Marvel Universe.
Sounds like it is.....all connected

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
I read the news a couple time since yesterday and I dont quite grasp yet how that movie is possible.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I feel really dumb asking this but are we even going to see these actors in the movies or will they all be CGI characters who look like that big monster dude in the guardians infinity stone exposition dump?

Or are they people beneath that armour/ costume?

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So I feel really dumb asking this but are we even going to see these actors in the movies or will they all be CGI characters who look like that big monster dude in the guardians infinity stone exposition dump?

Or are they people beneath that armour/ costume?
The big monster guys are Celestials, the creators of the Eternals. The Eternals look human.
eternals.jpg

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think he has a master's degree in drama from Yale. He's like the total opposite of his ATL character. Dude has some serious skills.
Yeah, the work he does with Paperboy is amazing, and it bummed me out of all the four he was getting less roles.

Not that the others don't deserve it Tho.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Also notable is they only announced Eternals so far. Unless one of the cast is the villain somehow, they have Deviant cast members to announce yet.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
These kind of sound like the Inhumans, in a way that make me scratch my head even further about why Marvel keeps trying to make people care about the Inhumans when they had these around all along

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
These kind of sound like the Inhumans, in a way that make me scratch my head even further about why Marvel keeps trying to make people care about the Inhumans when they had these around all along

"We can't use mutants yet, but we want to do stories that involve characters with powers like mutants, who can we use" seems to be the uniting factor between Marvel's attempts to force the Inhumans and the Eternals into the forefront.

DC's doing the same damn thing with the New Gods, though, so I guess unrelatable godlike space-people are too hard to resist for both groups.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Also notable is they only announced Eternals so far. Unless one of the cast is the villain somehow, they have Deviant cast members to announce yet.

Yeah I am not super familiar with them but it doesn't seem like we are getting any of the Titanian Eternals in this movie yet? It's all Earth-based?

Wonder if a Thanos flashback scene is out of the cards

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"We can't use mutants yet, but we want to do stories that involve characters with powers like mutants, who can we use" seems to be the uniting factor between Marvel's attempts to force the Inhumans and the Eternals into the forefront.

DC's doing the same damn thing with the New Gods, though, so I guess unrelatable godlike space-people are too hard to resist for both groups.

Do you see Marvel adopting the notion of classic medieval aestheticery in their ancient civilizations? Or will they abandon it because it may not work in the MCU, have been done already in tons of films in the past, whether good or bad?

And do the comics have an entrenched history with Greek Mythology, or have they ceded that to DC?

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Do you see Marvel adopting the notion of classic medieval aestheticery in their ancient civilizations? Or will they abandon it because it may not work in the MCU, have been done already in tons of films in the past, whether good or bad?

And do the comics have an entrenched history with Greek Mythology, or have they ceded that to DC?
Greek Myth is entrenched in the comics. Both Hercules and Ares are Marvel characters.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Greek Myth is entrenched in the comics. Both Hercules and Ares are Marvel characters.

But is it on the level of DC's presence in Greek Mythology? Also, I'm somewhat familiar with how Marvel and DC portrayed Asgard and Themyscira respectively. They were more in line with how Hollywood depicted their fantasy films in the 1970's. I found Asgard's portrayal in Thor 2011 to be somewhat jarring. If the film had been made in 2000, the studios would be struggling to figure out how Asgard's design would look like because they would have completely ruled out Thor 2011's amalgamated futuristic designs.

If the Eternals is Marvel's unique take on Greek mythology, will they have tech similar to Asgard, or could we see a throwback to the classic fantasy aesthetics?

Last edited:

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
But is it on the level of DC's presence in Greek Mythology? Also, I'm somewhat familiar with how Marvel and DC portrayed Asgard and Themyscira respectively. They were more in line with how Hollywood depicted their fantasy films in the 1970's. I found Asgard's portrayal in Thor 2011 to be somewhat jarring. If the film had been made in 2000, the studios would be struggling to figure out how Asgard's design would look like because they would have completely ruled out Thor 2011's amalgamated futuristic designs.

If the Eternals is Marvel's unique take on Greek mythology, will they have tech similar to Asgard, or could we see a throwback to the classic fantasy aesthetics?
Eternals aren't the Greek gods. I think they just inspired some religions in the world. They're like Kirby's New God's in DC. The Greek gods in marvel are separate.

Um, the Eternals are based on Greek myth too. Ikaris/Ikarus, Makkari/Mecury, Thena/Athena
True, but they don't run around as the actual Greek gods like Ares and Hercules.

Though who knows, maybe that's the way they run with it, though I doubt it.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Eternals aren't the Greek gods. I think they just inspired some religions in the world. They're like Kirby's New God's in DC. The Greek gods in marvel are separate.

True, but they don't run around as the actual Greek gods like Ares and Hercules.

Though who knows, maybe that's the way they run with it, though I doubt it.

Do you see Marvel ever tackling Greek mythology ever?

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's going forward because Thanos is the most famous Eternal and we just got done with him so it's time to learn about the rest of them, and Eternals plants story seeds for both X-Men and F4. It's going forward because Marvel Cosmic is expanding and because they can do Eternals and make it into a billion dollar franchise, while giving X-Men and F4 time to bake. It's not one replacing the other, one comes before the other chronologically in the history of the Marvel Universe.

Ehhhhhh you're mixing your own comic knowledge and assumptions into what you're hoping it is. They haven't really made the Thanos and Eternals/Deviants connections yet in the MCU. Don't forget what works in comics don't always translate well to movies. Audiences so far have shown tolerance for comic shenanigans with the MCU but there is a limit.

I'm not saying they won't try to make that connection, it certainly makes sense and it's a great springboard for them. I'm talking about the reasoning for trying to introduce these groups in the first place. They don't need anything to "introduce" the X-men. It's a convenient track but the Eternals was announced well before the Fox acquisition so it wasn't the point to begin with.

And I heard the "they will turn them into a billion dollar franchise" stuff before with Inhumans. And the Inhumans had the benefit of being a little more well known property with a slightly more digestible story. I like both properties, don't get me wrong on that. I'm just saying let's be real about what their intentions were with both Inhumans and Eternals in the MCU. And what I'm trying to say is regardless the quality of the Eternals movie it's going to get dropped like a hot potato like Inhumans was. Marvel has there golden goose back now.

And people joke about how many movies they put out but they realistically have a finite amount of resources to churn out movies and they now have a metric shit-ton of characters and stories added to their pool now. The honchos at Marvel Studios are not going to be saying "Let's greenlight Eternals 2 over Wolverine, X-Force, x-Men 2 and 3, Doctor Doom, Icemans Summers vacation or H.E.R.B.I.E.s Magical Negative Zone Adventure. And that's like a fraction of what they have available to do now. That's not including already proven continuing properties for them.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhhhh you're mixing your own comic knowledge and assumptions into what you're hoping it is. They haven't really made the Thanos and Eternals/Deviants connections yet in the MCU. Don't forget what works in comics don't always translate well to movies. Audiences so far have shown tolerance for comic shenanigans with the MCU but there is a limit.

I'm not saying they won't try to make that connection, it certainly makes sense and it's a great springboard for them. I'm talking about the reasoning for trying to introduce these groups in the first place. They don't need anything to "introduce" the X-men. It's a convenient track but the Eternals was announced well before the Fox acquisition so it wasn't the point to begin with.

And I heard the "they will turn them into a billion dollar franchise" stuff before with Inhumans. And the Inhumans had the benefit of being a little more well known property with a slightly more digestible story. I like both properties, don't get me wrong on that. I'm just saying let's be real about what their intentions were with both Inhumans and Eternals in the MCU. And what I'm trying to say is regardless the quality of the Eternals movie it's going to get dropped like a hot potato like Inhumans was. Marvel has there golden goose back now.

And people joke about how many movies they put out but they realistically have a finite amount of resources to churn out movies and they now have a metric shit-ton of characters and stories added to their pool now. The honchos at Marvel Studios are not going to be saying "Let's greenlight Eternals 2 over Wolverine, X-Force, x-Men 2 and 3, Doctor Doom, Icemans Summers vacation or H.E.R.B.I.E.s Magical Negative Zone Adventure. And that's like a fraction of what they have available to do now. That's not including already proven continuing properties for them.
This completely ignores the actual circumstances of the Inhumans coming and going and seems to equate Eternals and Inhumans, and somehow equate Eternals and X-Men too. Furthermore, you act like Marvel can only do one film at a time with the "We have to do X-Men 2, not Eternals 2" thing, and more ridiculously, that Disney don't want an additional blockbuster franchise from Marvel? Why would you have just X-Men when you can have X-Men and Eternals as two blockbuster MCU series?
Marvel aren't going to drop everything just because they have X-Men and Fantastic Four back. They've shown time and time again they can make their lesser known heroes into household names, and in many ways, it's smarter to do that. X-Men have had a 20 year film franchise, hurrying back into that is foolish. They need a break and they need to be very carefully developed in the MCU.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't say it was. But they've been trying to push something to fill the X-Men hole for awhile now. First Inhumans. Then they were going to try Eternals here, I'm betting the only reason it's going forward is because deals were already made and pre-production had already started before the Fox acquisition completed. I will also bet it gets fairly quietly released with little marketing and no tie ins. Maybe Subway.

You don't hire Angelina Jolie, pay her a huge sum of money, just to quietly release her film with no marketing.

Oct 2, 2018
SOOOOoo

I read the comic last night. And btw... the way it sorta of went. Its fucking boring and then it doesnt even conclude properly.

I honestly can't see this being an interesting adaptation.

and why is
Lauren Ridloff as Makkari
a woman?

+

and why isnt Jolie Sersi? Why is she Thena?

Last edited:

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
SOOOOoo

I read the comic last night. And btw... the way it sorta of went. Its fucking boring and then it doesnt even conclude properly.

I honestly can't see this being an interesting adaptation.

and why is a woman?

+

and why isnt Jolie Sersi? Why is she Thena?

I saw on Reddit that they haven't cast Sersi or didn't want to announce it yet? Because Sersi is now a man. Not sure how reliable the rumour is though.

Oct 2, 2018
I saw on Reddit that they haven't cast Sersi or didn't want to announce it yet? Because Sersi is now a man. Not sure how reliable the rumour is though.

its weird they flipped the genders heaps in the casting

Sprite.
Sersi (if true)
Makkari
Ajak

are all gender swapped.

of course, the comic featured:

TONY STARK/ironman

so I think the plot will be quite different possibly.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
its weird they flipped the genders heaps in the casting

Sprite.
Sersi (if true)
Makkari
Ajak

are all gender swapped.

of course, the comic featured:

TONY STARK/ironman

so I think the plot will be quite different possibly.
Yes If Guardians of the Galaxy is anything to go by it will be quite different. I'm not ruling out them casting first and adjusting the characters to fit the actors as well.