• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't get over that this Iman Vellani's first acting job
Acting?
They just turned the cameras on and told her to be herself....this was the result.

No but seriously, she's very likable and has great screen presence, it IS amazing she's not a seasoned actor already.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I still can't get over that this Iman Vellani's first acting job

I really really hope she has a good safety net (family, friends *and* the studio) that can protect her if the toxic dregs of humanity (aka "the fandom") start to tear into her. I just don't want a repeat of the Kelly Marie Tran situation 😞

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm rewatching the first 2 episodes. Something I missed the first time is that at the beginning of the first episode, the video on the Battle for Earth, in the comments section is Bruno and Nakia. Bruno says "No idea who made this amazing page, but WOW, chills." That's adorable.

I may have missed something, but was Kamala wearing her costume under her clothes or something? She had some Clark Kent quick-change going on there.

Didn't you see how fast her mom made that food to go for Bruno? They're all secretly speedsters.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Damn so it was it's lowest debut of the MCU shows. Now yeah I get the concept of being able to watch two shows at once that comes out on the same day but I still think having this come out at the same time as Obi-Wan instead of on Friday or having Obi-Wan on Friday(since it debut on Friday) kinda attributed to the lower debut.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Damn so it was it's lowest debut of the MCU shows. Now yeah I get the concept of being able to watch two shows at once that comes out on the same day but I still think having this come out at the same time as Obi-Wan instead of on Friday or having Obi-Wan on Friday(since it debut on Friday) kinda attributed to the lower debut.
Yeah, having Marvel & Star Wars compete with each other probably wasn't the best idea.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Also it has no recognisable stars compared to every single other MCU or Disney show. That's pretty good considering that detail.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
n4q350bcyy591.jpg

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
not as striking as the first episode but this is definitely the best an MCU show has started since WV. hope they keep it up.

a bit of a shame they've started it in the middle of Obi Wan's run which is potentially limiting its reach though (especially since this is a much better show so far)

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught the second episode. Not quite as frantic as the first episode but once it found its groove it was just as good. Bruno attempting to force himself into the conversation between Kamala and Kamran from the backseat hit a little too close to home to some memories of mine in high school, poor guy. Nakia getting more screen time this episode and savagely guilting Kamala's dad was great. I also really liked the goofy callback to Black Widow's death with the It's Always Sunny level of tiny drop.

Kamala's family is just really fun to watch, they have a really entertaining dynamic. I do kinda wish we got some of Aamir being a jobless bum but moving on to his engagement is fine.

Damage Control using the Mysterio drones from Far From Home was a really unexpected but very cool callback. Can't believe that shot of them confiscating them in No Way Home was actually building up to something. Agent Cleary pretending to be a big fan of Zoe's Instagram account was really mean of him, way to bully a high school kid... but that's kind of his M.O., lol. The agents apparently not catching that she was picked up by an expensive car was kinda silly though.

Concerning Kamran's mother who appears at the end--I think the intention of the episode is to make you think she is potentially Kamala's great grandmother... but she definitely isn't.

Kamran's mom is named "Najma" in the credits, if you care.

I'm going to list my (probably wrong) theory as to her:

I think she is the MCU's version of Lineage, the character Kamran was working for in the comics. Lineage was specifically an Inhuman who stole the memories of his relatives, and I think Najma is a take on this. I think she is related to the whole lineage of Kamala's great grandmother (the stand ins for Inhumans here) and she has powers of her own. I think she has parasitic powers, stealing the powers of other people in her lineage. She appears to Kamala in her visions because they're related and her grand scheme here is to steal Kamala's powers.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
FVTjJdNaMAERQoN

I love that they got Kamala's dumb hat in this. It's really hard to describe how close this show comes to just straight up nailing the original comics, even with the radical power change.

Also, Nakia teasing Bruno was really cute:
FVetW2eUsAQpCDJ

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite visual bit was the bokeh (like, the blurred light sources) turning into hearts in the fadeout after Kamran drops them off. Just really stylish but not overbearing with it.

4DSPXX9.png

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

I'm not really surprised, it's also the most low key and low stakes show (we don't even know the villain in the show, let alone the ads). Hopefully it does well as it goes on, especially if Obi is a factor and people catch up when it finishes this week.

That's not the only reason to let him fall, he was also the shoe thief.

I hadn't even caught that!

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Yeah Kingo Senior (above) is way more attractive than Kingo Junior (below).

Must be a generational thing.
Completely forgot this was that character's name. I was like, why are they bringing up Kingo after Shah Rukh Khan, is that his nickname? Who is Kingo?! Eternals was so forgettable, and the only thing memorable is the unnecessary amount of effort Kumail put into his body to not even get to show it.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Poor Brian.

Anyway, I was randomly thinking that the goofy scene where they almost reenacted Black Widow's death:
latest

And I was thinking it might kind of be symbolic of Bruno's character arc. Kamala tells Bruno he has to let her go, and the guidance counselor is telling him he's gotta go to Caltech. The guidance counselor tells him he's the main character in a movie being told to do something important for himself. But Bruno doesn't see himself as the lead character, he considers himself to be the sidekick in Kamala's story. And in order for him to do what is right for himself he might need to let Kamala go.

So I'm thinking it might actually be something they call back to.

Or I'm just overthinking things.

Also, Kamala's cosplay costume seems to be this show's take on her shapeshifting into Carol from her origin.

Not quite the same thing obviously but this is going to be the thing she ditches in order to be herself instead of someone pretending to be Captain Marvel. Still wondering how her final suit comes to be, especially if *this* is the best costume Kamala and Bruno can come up with. I'm thinking it is going to have something to do with her great grandmother.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Poor Brian.

Anyway, I was randomly thinking that the goofy scene where they almost reenacted Black Widow's death:
latest

And I was thinking it might kind of be symbolic of Bruno's character arc. Kamala tells Bruno he has to let her go, and the guidance counselor is telling him he's gotta go to Caltech. The guidance counselor tells him he's the main character in a movie being told to do something important for himself. But Bruno doesn't see himself as the lead character, he considers himself to be the sidekick in Kamala's story. And in order for him to do what is right for himself he might need to let Kamala go.

So I'm thinking it might actually be something they call back to.

Or I'm just overthinking things.

Also, Kamala's cosplay costume seems to be this show's take on her shapeshifting into Carol from her origin.

Not quite the same thing obviously but this is going to be the thing she ditches in order to be herself instead of someone pretending to be Captain Marvel. Still wondering how her final suit comes to be, especially if *this* is the best costume Kamala and Bruno can come up with. I'm thinking it is going to have something to do with her great grandmother.

Amazing colorful clothes and outfits are a south Asian specialty after all

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Just caught up with episode 2. Overall a better episode as they went for less humour with Kamala's family.

My problem is still that this is just like MCU Spider-Man, even down to the lame way each character gif their powers (Tony Stark giving Peter all his gear), and I hated the MCU Spider-Man films.
This is much better than and I prefer Iman over Tom. It's just a shame it feels like retreading the same ground.

My other issue is MCU TV show fatigue. I just don't think I'll care about most of these characters until they're in some sort of team up movie. I wish this phase wasn't so long between Endgame and a group movie.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The racist and anti woke crowd is having a field day over the low opening...

And the very mature super hero comic book fans dismissing it for being "Childish" too

It's so frustrating, this is absolutely Marvel´s best show.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My other issue is MCU TV show fatigue. I just don't think I'll care about most of these characters until they're in some sort of team up movie. I wish this phase wasn't so long between Endgame and a group movie.

Why would you care about them being in a teamup movie if you don't know who they are though? If we had another Avengers movie and Kamala and Kate Bishop just showed up out of nowhere, why would people outside of comic book fans who already know them care? They aren't Spiderman or the X-men.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

And the very mature super hero comic book fans dismissing it for being "Childish" too

That thread already being over 11 pages was so damn predictable lol

Why would you care about them being in a teamup movie if you don't know who they are though? If we had another Avengers movie and Kamala and Kate Bishop just showed up out of nowhere, why would people outside of comic book fans who already know them care? They aren't Spiderman or the X-men.

Yea that makes no sense lol

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Why would people care about them being in a teamup movie if you don't know who they are though? If we had another Avengers movie and Kamala and Kate Bishop just showed up out of nowhere, why would people outside of comic book fans who already know them care? They aren't Spiderman or the X-men.

That's not what I'm asking for. What I'd like is some sort of pay off for Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Loki and to have a better understanding of what this phase is building towards.
Instead they just keep giving us these average TV shows and movies that aren't going anywhere (expect the recent Dr Strange) and I'm at saturation point.

The whole appeal of the MCU for me was the connected universe, and I just feel like nothing has tied together in ages. So right now I'm not particularly interested in adding a new character to the mix. I understand Covid has no doubt had an impact on plans, but I hope next phase we have less origin TV shows and filler movies like Black Widow.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't talking here tbh, yeah there's a bunch of very adult badasses in that thread but the absolute celebi against "woke Marvel" and the "M-She-U" outside of ERA is nauseating

I meant more that I knew the headline was gonna generate a lot of pages since it leaned "negative"

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Really liking this so far. If the quality remains consistent then this will probably be up there with Loki for me in terms of these MCU shows.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Not only is it the best show but it has the best potential for multiple series by far. Very frustrating indeed.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017

You see the "childish" thing on Era too.
And then they will go rewatch Stranger things.
🤷🏽‍♂️

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
She isn't Iman Vellani. In fact she is Kamala Khan disguised as Iman Vellani in the real world.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Don't worry, as soon as people watch her in The Marvels they will go back and watch the series, I'm sure of it.