• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this has already been answered but if there is only one timeline why are there so many different versions of Loki?

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Space and time are two different concepts. So multiverse could exist while timelines branching is it's own thing.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Caught up with the second ep now, this is amazing. The chemistry between Loki and Mobius is enough to carry this, but everything else going on is really solid so far.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing how Loki wants to take over the TVA, I would not be surprised if the Time Keepers are not actually three Lokis or 1 pretending to be three. Seems like one creating a timeline police force would be hell of a chaotic thing to do to the timeline.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
The reason I don't get a conspicuously sinister vibe from them is because the people in charge don't seem sinister. Ravonna doesn't seem like an evil person and she is an authority figure, neither does Mobius. I get that these three aliens have a bias towards one timeline that they consider sacred, but that doesn't seem to be sinister in whatever their intention was. At least, not so far. Whatever I find about them that I dislike is only personal opinion, not something the show implies about that is immoral.

As for kidnapping people for becoming variants, this part of the show also loses me because it seems like in order for any individual to have the opportunity to become a variant, they have to be within the vicinity of another party that is time traveling whose attempting to change their future. Otherwise there isn't any variables that could change the course of a would-be variant's path.
I mean... they don't have to seem sinister to be villains. Almost no one actually believes themselves to be a villain, so the actual metric is about the effect actions have, not what their personality seems like. And the effects of everything the TVA does ranges from outright fucked to questionable (and unverified). Lots of government organizations, religious organizations, etc. have people that believe they're helping people at the top while actually they're doing awful things. It really seems like you're putting way too much stock in presentation and not content.

I agree about Mobius, but not about Ravonna. Ravonna is sus as hell. The way she talks about the Time Keepers doesn't seem like trustworthy information. She also ran Loki's joke of a "trial".

Their own propaganda video suggests that people becomes variants without time travel happening. I'm not too worried about the mechanics of exactly how that all works, personally; we're only 33% of the way into the show, and our source of information is obviously untrustworthy. (And none of that would justify the kidnapping and sham trials and executions).

Dec 11, 2017
Pointless Whining:
That 2050 not-Walmart was the cheapest I've ever seen a MCU anything look. Like, a superstore in 2050 can look like junk (Idiocracy) but they made no attempt to set dress it as being 30 years in the future. Obviously all the merchandise was just 2020 products with 2020 labels, but even the big signs on the ceiling had stuff like a wired video game controller. They clearly took a set/location from some other production and changed nothing. This show has such cool, creative sets and yet they didn't try anything with this one. It was some cheap Netflix-esce shit.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pointless Whining:
That 2050 not-Walmart was the cheapest I've ever seen a MCU anything look. Like, a superstore in 2050 can look like junk (Idiocracy) but they made no attempt to set dress it as being 30 years in the future. Obviously all the merchandise was just 2020 products with 2020 labels, but even the big signs on the ceiling had stuff like a wired video game controller. They clearly took a set/location from some other production and changed nothing. This show has such cool, creative sets and yet they didn't try anything with this one. It was some cheap Netflix-esce shit.
You're saying that Roxxon wouldn't cut corners and leave their stores stocked with 30 year old products?

It sucks that it took you out of the show. I didn't really notice, it's a store that's being used as a shelter, wacky future products would detract from what the scene was supposed to be about and I was focused on other stuff. That huge arm and hammer sign was a bit weird though.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
I wonder if the TVA is hidden within the Quantum Realm. Mobius' saying that time works differently reminds me of Ant Man saying that time worked differently in the quantum realm in Endgame

Then throw Kang being the villain in the next Ant Man film and the theory he could the Renslayer's agent on the side

TGR Sean

Nov 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
I wonder if the TVA is hidden within the Quantum Realm. Mobius' saying that time works differently reminds me of Ant Man saying that time worked differently in the quantum realm in Endgame

Then throw Kang being the villain in the next Ant Man film and the theory he could the Renslayer's agent on the side

Oooh I really like that theory. To add to it, Mobius was talking about life being chaos and Ant Man was telling Cap and Nat that if they could control the chaos they could navigate the Quantum Realm and move through time. So the TVA being there makes sense if that's how they're getting around to different timelines.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Seeing how Loki wants to take over the TVA, I would not be surprised if the Time Keepers are not actually three Lokis or 1 pretending to be three. Seems like one creating a timeline police force would be hell of a chaotic thing to do to the timeline.
I'm expecting all the Time Keepers to already be dead and this beureaucratic ruse is either meant to keep people in-line, or a panicked attempt by upper management to figure out what the fuck they're supposed to do until someone can think of a better plan.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting all the Time Keepers to already be dead and this beureaucratic ruse is either meant to keep people in-line, or a panicked attempt by upper management to figure out what the fuck they're supposed to do until someone can think of a better plan.
Yeah i think they're dead, or if not they will die immediately like Akuma killing Bison.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I quite like the idea that Kang is one of the three Time Keepers and he killed the other two so that he could rewrite the future according to his own will and Ravonna is working for him and ensuring the TVA never finds out.

That way, the TVA aren't actually bad guys and Loki can take over the organisation while his other self, Lady Loki, no longer needs to run and can create a new life for herself as Enchantress in any universe she chooses (and obviously she'd choose Loki's because who wouldn't want Enchantress running around in Thor 5 messing with Thor's head?).

We get more seasons of Loki, Lady Loki lives on as Enchantress in the main MCU and the multiverse is opened up to all sorts of chaotic madness. Everyone wins.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Every time I hear Enchantress, I keep thinking of the gyrating Suicide Squad version. Damn you DC!

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Every time I hear Enchantress, I keep thinking of the gyrating Suicide Squad version. Damn you DC!

You are now imagining Sophia Di Martino doing it.

>:D

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I like this show a lot but I'm pretty confused ngl.

So why are there several variants of Loki? What does the reset bomb actually do? Delete everything in the radius indiscriminately? It looked like the girl Loki teleported the bombs somewhere, but where? To the TVA? Is the TVA going to be erased next episode? What was the girl who was abducted saying?
Reset bombs erase branching timelines from the main one.

Lady Loki teleported them to different places in different points in time, thus creating branching timelines. Somehow!

The abducted girl was saying she revealed the location of the time keepers to Lady Loki.

I like the "everyone at the TVA is a robot" theory. Also in the comics the time keepers are seemingly created in the future and thus have the TVA preserve the timeline in which they get created. I can see something like that happening where the time keepers don't exist yet. Something happens where the timeline is screwed and they will never exist, meaning the future multiversal war doesn't have a definitive conclusion which will lead into the next main Marvel arc.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Ravonna is Kang's rival/girlfriend in the comics

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling the time keepers are long gone, and the TVA are the equivalent of the androids in Nier: Automata.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
God this show is so so so so so soooo good. One of the best things the MCU has ever done. The sets, the acting, the music, owen fucking wilson.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Loki gonna be pissed.
ctakchZ.jpg

The MCU version is vastly different than the actual origin of the God, so it should be easy to avoid being taken down. Just base it on the original Loki and avoid any reference to the MCU Loki. Like starting with not having dark hair and wearing green leather. But I'm going to assume people are making merchandise directly based on the MCU version.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I mean... they don't have to seem sinister to be villains. Almost no one actually believes themselves to be a villain, so the actual metric is about the effect actions have, not what their personality seems like. And the effects of everything the TVA does ranges from outright fucked to questionable (and unverified). Lots of government organizations, religious organizations, etc. have people that believe they're helping people at the top while actually they're doing awful things. It really seems like you're putting way too much stock in presentation and not content.

I agree about Mobius, but not about Ravonna. Ravonna is sus as hell. The way she talks about the Time Keepers doesn't seem like trustworthy information. She also ran Loki's joke of a "trial".

Their own propaganda video suggests that people becomes variants without time travel happening. I'm not too worried about the mechanics of exactly how that all works, personally; we're only 33% of the way into the show, and our source of information is obviously untrustworthy. (And none of that would justify the kidnapping and sham trials and executions).
Well yeah, I think it's very possible that the TVA could be another villain organization, but not really because of anything we've seen them do. The interaction between Ravonna and Mobius didn't get me thinking she's suspicious either. I agreed with what she was saying to Mobius when he was asking permission to take Loki on the 2050 mission. And I got that the variants themselves aren't time travelers. 2012 Loki is the variant, but he had the opportunity to become a variant because of the actions of time travelers. That's what I mean is that time travel is involved in becoming a variant.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pointless Whining:

I didn't mind it so much. It was refreshingly... normal. Loki having scenes set in 2050 where we're fundamentally no different to how we are now is far more reasonable and believable than Blade Runner being set in 2019 with flying cars and androids that are indistinguishable from humans.

Oct 25, 2017
Pointless Whining:
Counterpoint, it's Alabama so it be closer to 2025 in tech

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I quite like the idea that Kang is one of the three Time Keepers and he killed the other two so that he could rewrite the future according to his own will and Ravonna is working for him and ensuring the TVA never finds out.

That way, the TVA aren't actually bad guys and Loki can take over the organisation while his other self, Lady Loki, no longer needs to run and can create a new life for herself as Enchantress in any universe she chooses (and obviously she'd choose Loki's because who wouldn't want Enchantress running around in Thor 5 messing with Thor's head?).

We get more seasons of Loki, Lady Loki lives on as Enchantress in the main MCU and the multiverse is opened up to all sorts of chaotic madness. Everyone wins.

Going back to this for reals this time, what's the over/under on MCU Lady Loki actually using the moniker Enchantress at all. I honestly doubt it'll be a thing myself, right now it comes off more like the name "Sylvie" is an Easter egg than anything of weight.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going back to this for reals this time, what's the over/under on MCU Lady Loki actually using the moniker Enchantress at all. I honestly doubt it'll be a thing myself, right now it comes off more like the name "Sylvie" is an Easter egg than anything of weight.

It was something we discussed here shortly after the second episode aired. The general consensus was that she's blonde and uses a completely unique type of magic than Loki, one that allows her to possess or entrance others, which is more in line with what Enchantress would do and she clearly doesn't like to be called Loki. Why that is, we can probably guess.

So if she were to give herself a new name, a fresh start if you will, then Enchantress would probably be it.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm finding the show sort of "meh" at the moment. I think Hiddleston is doing wonderfully as Loki, but I feel so uninvolved and--admittedly--lost with the story. It feels like you have to be well-versed in the MCU lore to this point to understand the impact Lady Loki (does she have an actual name?) has on creating all these timelines and why Loki now wants control of the TVA.

Then you have the whole overarching narrative that is (or isn't) influenced by Loki's meddling.

I don't know, it just seems like a show that is carrying a lot of weight while also laying the groundwork for the new phase.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
It feels like you have to be well-versed in the MCU lore to this point to understand the impact Lady Loki (does she have an actual name?) has on creating all these timelines and why Loki now wants control of the TVA.
From my perspective at least, we still don't "understand" the impact. We don't even know exactly what all has happened. I personally think that's the appeal of shows like Loki and WandaVision...the mystery of what's to come. Sometimes, the point of a story is to NOT know, in the moment, what exactly is going on.

As for why Loki wants to control the TVA, that's not explicitly clear either other than the fact that it's simply in his nature to try and grasp at power wherever and however he can get it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Loki with blonde hair just looks wrong.

But..

If she's the Enchantress, makes sense I guess.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Great show so far I'm loving it.

But can we talk about how fantastic this soundtrack is, his theme is great and the high stakes track playing when they arrived in Alabama was so good. Just really great scifi/mystical tunes

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm finding the show sort of "meh" at the moment. I think Hiddleston is doing wonderfully as Loki, but I feel so uninvolved and--admittedly--lost with the story. It feels like you have to be well-versed in the MCU lore to this point to understand the impact Lady Loki (does she have an actual name?) has on creating all these timelines and why Loki now wants control of the TVA.

Then you have the whole overarching narrative that is (or isn't) influenced by Loki's meddling.

I don't know, it just seems like a show that is carrying a lot of weight while also laying the groundwork for the new phase.
You are confusing yourself more by assuming that everything you don't understand is just references that you don't know.

There is connected lore to Loki's story in the MCU, but if you've seen The Avengers, Infinity War, and Endgame, you should know enough. Even the Thor trilogy is basically covered in the show what you need to know without watching those movies.

It's a pretty straight forward mystery/detective premise with the show presenting the multiverse by both explaining all of how it works, and at the same time, being intentionally vague about the "why" of why it works the way it does or what Loki and his variants have to do with any of it besides doing something that doesn't fit with the sacred timeline. They latter I'm pretty sure we will get answers to.

If I had to guess from the themes the show laid out in the first episode, Loki represents chaos and the TVA represents order, or free will versus determinism. Loki is asking the question of whether any of them have free will and why the TVA gets to decide what is meant to happen in the sacred timeline. Lady Loki may be asking herself the same questions, and since it seems like they are both angling to maybe take over the TVA to have that power to themselves, or prevent the TVA from having that control, they have their own missions about unraveling and undoing the grip that the TVA has over deciding how time is supposed to play itself out.