• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The way it usually works is a director/producer will give a casting director their top 5 or whatever dream picks for a few roles, and the CD will go off to negotiate deals to make it happen. They'll go back and forth between the director/producer and the actor's agent (unless the director/producer are personally friends with the actor aka Favreau/RDJ, in which case they'll have a more proactive role in proceedings). So it's doubtful Sarah Finn actually decided all these major MCU roles at all, she was likely given character descriptions and free reign for minor characters like Ant-Man's Luis and his gang, etc.
Finn was the one who convinced Gunn to hire Chris Pratt, and apparently Pratt had to be convinced to audition for the role as well.

www.projectcasting.com

Marvel Casting Director Reveals Which Movie Was The Hardest To Cast

Marvel Casting Director Reveals Which Movie Was The Hardest To Cast - Find casting calls, news and more. Read the latest about Marvel Casting Director Reveals Which Movie Was The Hardest To Cast and related on Project Casting

Sounds like she moved mountains to make that meeting happen and Gunn was immediately convinced that she was right.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Just responding to this, not looking to be in this thread until I actually watch the episode.

Yeah, that Nando video hit the nail right on the head about the phenomenon that I had increasingly started noticing just as Wandavision went along. The crazy amount of weekly engagement for these Disney+ Marvel shows is great, but so much of the discourse gets so toxic. People take shit way too seriously it reminds me a lot of Star Wars fans now.

I got excited a few month ago with the prospect of getting new MCU episodes almost every week for the rest of the year and now I'm like, nah, give us a bit of a break between shows.

Just to be clear I'm shitting on the Nando video, and I'm shitting on it because what starts off as post-mortem on the toxicity as a result of a fandom going out of control eventually inadvertently contributes to said toxicity by validating and justifying the fandom insanity as untapped engagement. When the video brings up Lost, it's not actually to warn fans about setting themselves up for disappointment, it's just him digging Lost back up to dunk on it for disappointing fans. "You don't have to follow fan theories but you have to at least be more interesting," he concludes, as if that isn't a fool's errand due to how fast and vast internet discourse goes, as if trying to out-clever the audience isn't a game of madness and diminishing returns (see once again Steven Moffat's portfolio). The fan theories I've read of No Way Home just in the last month alone, you'd be dooming the movie with expectations it could never reach.

Just tell good stories and tell them well, that's all that can ever truly be asked for. /mini-rant

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Okay this is already easily the best Marvel show so far. Minimal mystery box bullshit, minimal wheel spinning, this show feels confident and propulsive

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That was using the mind stone in the scepter though, right?

Yeah, on second thought I feel like they retconned that because the effect is so similar just without touching them with the scepter. And 2012 Loki is well aware of doing it so I guess he never needed the Mind Stone, kind of like Lonestar and the Schwartz. The real Mind Stone was the friends he made along the way?

Can't get over the soundtrack to this. Probably the best score in the entire MCU

They've been doing great at releasing the scores for the D+ shows. I'll be watching Mondo for a vinyl release for sure.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm thinking is going to happen. Lady Loki is going to stick around, but she's going to prefer to be called Enchantress. Or someone will just say "she's an enchantress" and take it as a name.

So we know Lady Loki is from a different universe and that the TVA has been hunting and killing an innumerable amount of Lokis from all across the multiverse because I guess they inevitably defy the Sacred Timeline eventually...

We also now know that the Time Keepers are controlling the narrative, if you will, of the multiverse because the Sacred Timeline they say every universe must follow effectively prevents the creation of new universes, which seems to be something even the Time Keepers can't prevent.

If they're actively preventing the creation of new universes, that actually strongly implies the Time Keepers are only allowing certain universes to exist. What if Lady Loki's universe was too deviant from the Sacred Timeline and the Time Keepers got rid of it, leaving her without a universe at all?

You could understand, then, why she doesn't want to be called Loki any more. Not only would it hurt to hear the name that you were only ever called by the people you lost, but if there can only be one Loki per universe and she doesn't have one any more... then a new name is appropriate.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Just responding to this, not looking to be in this thread until I actually watch the episode.

Just to be clear I'm shitting on the Nando video, and I'm shitting on it because what starts off as post-mortem on the toxicity as a result of a fandom going out of control eventually inadvertently contributes to said toxicity by validating and justifying the fandom insanity as untapped engagement. When the video brings up Lost, it's not actually to warn fans about going too deep, it's just him digging Lost back up to shit on it for disappointing fans. "You don't have to follow fan theories but you have to at least be more interesting," he concludes, as if that isn't a fool's errand due to how fast and vast internet discourse goes, as if trying to out-clever the audience isn't a game of madness and diminishing returns (see once again Steven Moffat's portfolio). The fan theories I've read of No Way Home just in the last month alone, you'd be dooming the movie with expectations it could never reach.

Just tell good stories and tell them well, that's all that can ever truly be asked for. /mini-rant
Yeah that line about having to be better than the fan theories is a terrible metric/way to think of it since 90% of fan theories seems to be half-assed asspull fan fiction that of course the fan think sounds way better in their head than what we got when it ends up not being true or they end up disappointed.

I didn't get that as the main conclusion of the video and therefore didn't think the video was terrible as you seem to, it just seems like a poor way to sum up his thinking because he still says it doesn't have to be what the fans expect and he also suggests for fans to temper expectations so they don't work themselves into being disappointed no matter the outcome. Many of his other points were on the money about the theories as well as the upsides and downsides of fan theories, especially with how things played out with Wandavision.

Nando v Movies is certainly guilty of adding fuel to the fire of YouTubers helping to get people's expectations up over fan speculation that they seem confident will happen (even if it's just for views), but I don't feel like this video pointing out the fan theory phenomena is adding to the problem.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also the Time Keepers are totally dead, right? If they ever existed

That would imply Ravonna Renslayer is a bad guy, since she's be lying to the rest of the TVA about the Time Keepers. Next you'll say that she's working with Kang the Conquerer to lead the multiverse towards a future where Kang rules it all. 👀

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine the worse version of this show where the climax of this episode happens in episode 5 instead?

Because I can. God it's refreshing to watch a show that isn't afraid of itself

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
EI00ato.png

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I love the idea of a time traveler hiding in a apocalypses. When else can you change things and leave no clues?

And now someone bombed the Sacred Timeline, so that's fun. Maybe the TVA should have taken the threat of a lost reset bomb, which I might add they have been very careful of not calling a time bomb, a bit more seriously.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
So we know Lady Loki is from a different universe and that the TVA has been hunting and killing an innumerable amount of Lokis from all across the multiverse because I guess they inevitably defy the Sacred Timeline eventually...

We also now know that the Time Keepers are controlling the narrative, if you will, of the multiverse because the Sacred Timeline they say every universe must follow effectively prevents the creation of new universes, which seems to be something even the Time Keepers can't prevent.

If they're actively preventing the creation of new universes, that actually strongly implies the Time Keepers are only allowing certain universes to exist. What if Lady Loki's universe was too deviant from the Sacred Timeline and the Time Keepers got rid of it, leaving her without a universe at all?

You could understand, then, why she doesn't want to be called Loki any more. Not only would it hurt to hear the name that you were only ever called by the people you lost, but if there can only be one Loki per universe and she doesn't have one any more... then a new name is appropriate.
Oooh. I like this theory.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I love the idea of a time traveler hiding in a apocalypses. When else can you change things and leave no clues?

And now someone bombed the Sacred Timeline, so that's fun. Maybe the TVA should have taken the threat of a lost reset bomb, which I might add they have been very careful of not calling a time bomb, a bit more seriously.
So that's what happened. I thought Lady Loki went after the TVA.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
When they were looking at apocalypses I was hoping there'd be at least a few that weren't nature lol. Like a timeline where Ultron won or the Dark Elves won.

All these Marvel shows are just crazy good. I finish an episode and hate that I gotta wait a week for the next one.

Oh and listening to podcasts after the 1st episode, everyone talks about how time is different in the TVA and day the only other time that's been said was in the quantum realm. I know everyone is trying to link Kang to the series and it may happen but didn't the Grandmaster day the exact same thing about Sakaar in Ragnarok?

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When they were looking at apocalypses I was hoping there'd be at least a few that weren't nature lol. Like a timeline where Ultron won or the Dark Elves won.

That sort of thing wouldn't be catalogued. If there was a universe where Ultron won, the TVA would erase it because otherwise it would create a nexus event that would give birth to a new universe and they don't want that happening.

We can't get stuff like that until the TVA is either destroyed or put under new management.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that line about having to be better than the fan theories is a terrible metric/way to think of it since 90% of fan theories seems to be half-assed asspull fan fiction that of course the fan think sounds way better in their head than what we got when it ends up not being true or they end up disappointed.

I didn't get that as the main conclusion of the video and therefore didn't think the video was terrible as you seem to, it just seems like a poor way to sum up his thinking because he still says it doesn't have to be what the fans expect and he also suggests for fans to temper expectations so they don't work themselves into being disappointed no matter the outcome. Many of his other points were on the money about the theories as well as the upsides and downsides of fan theories, especially with how things played out with Wandavision.

Nando v Movies is certainly guilty of adding fuel to the fire of YouTubers helping to get people's expectations up over fan speculation that they seem confident will happen (even if it's just for views), but I don't feel like this video pointing out the fan theory phenomena is adding to the problem.

Rewatching and I did actually miss his ultimate conclusion - "be hopeful and engage, just don't get your hopes up for specific things" - but it's sandwiched between the awful take, a ribbing "never expect anything ever", him going "Trust the plan!", and the ad sponsor segment. So forgive me if I missed it the first time because it comes off like him scrambling to have a point, especially when the meat of his video is him ultimately justifying every fan theory he brings up and only explicitly letting Marvel off the hook for Ralph Bohner, and chiefly because they had their own justifications against the backlash. The video being about fan disappointment informs the rest - his video isn't about fans being so far off course they've lost sight of the fun, it's about fans being slightly off center and for reasonable reasons and just needing to keep faith that their engagement will be rewarded in some way.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
You just never know how you are going to feel about a new show after a strong opener: can they keep up the pace or will things drag? Episode 2 was every bit as engrossing as the first and I'm begging for next Weds to get here asap.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
If this show can keep up this level of quality all the way through....might just become my favorite MCU thing. I really hope more of the music gets released soon so I can listen non-stop!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Retail shoppers would 100% go shopping for azaleas during a hurricane because they're half off. Clearly Loki and the TVA never worked retail, because that's not suspicious at all.

Loved the futuristic store, though it'll age weird since most of the products and brands are modern.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
This was a great episode.

I would really like it, though, if they'd go less heavy handed with the "reveal" moments. Hooded character, camera moves in, they take off their hood for no reason other than to reveal their face to the camera, and then spout a single line of dramatic dialogue. I hate it. That moment felt cheap, clunky, and like the crappy aspects of television.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode, a big improvement over the first. Still a bit exposition heavy at times but we are dealing with a lot of wacky concepts. The show is quite unpredictable to say the least and I am really curious to see where they are going with it.

If we're theory crafting, I don't think the time keepers are real. I just can't imagine a scene where Loki is having a conversation with them.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think the big hint from episode 2 is that

(theory craft in spoiler tag)

alter-Loki's realization is that the existence of TVA beckons Ragnarok on a much larger scale than just the destruction of Asgard. i.e., the TVA's restrictive grasp on time and reality is stifling of nature itself and Loki is determined to cause "Ragnarok" across all of reality by the TVA's destruction -- to allow the multiverse to expand of its own chaotic nature and chaotic will. The end of time and the beginning of time, Ragnarok. Plays into Loki's suggestion that no one evil is truly evil; no one good is truly good. And is just Loki-ass philosophy in general.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Owen Wilson and Tom Hiddleston are so good together. So far this show seems way more confident in what it wants to do compared to the other two shows. I wonder how much COVID affected this one since they're mostly shooting indoor stuff.