• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The timeline and the existence of multiverses are 2 totally separate things. There is one sacred timeline. However that doesn't mean multiverses can't exist. Those things aren't symbiotic.

Pruning is the elimination of skewed timelines, not necessarily eliminating variants. Cap pruned all the timelines except his retirement one by placing the stones back where they found them.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Always watch the New Rockstars breakdowns

Might watch later but just wanted to say I hate those thumbnails lol. The red circle and pointing arrow, saw a few thumbnails with Thanos, Stan Lee. No doubt before the series is over there'll be some with Wolverine too.

Was a great 1st episode, like the other 2 series the episode went super fast and now the wait for the next episode will suck.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I watched the episode again and I feel the need to praise the look and soundtrack once again. TVA's retro-futurist aesthetic looks phenomenal and the show's main theme is just perfect, it completely nails the tone, the main element (time) and the character.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I also have to wonder... if the TVA is all of time, why do they choose Earth 1960/70's look and feel? I get irked that everyone is a human (barring one whole Skrull in the background) and that they're not in some actual timeless design/fashion world.
Because it was originally inspired by the Marvel editorial office's heyday/early days and Mobius was in fact a homage to a highly respected marvel editor who made the fact books and had an encyclopedic knowledge of marvel characters and events(May he Rest In Peace). All the middle managers were clones of the same guy too. The TVA were more specifically an empire patrolling realities in an attempt for power and temporal stability, their main nemesis being Immortus(one of the faces of Kang).

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
But if he eats human food, but has never seen fish in any capacity, that's very odd.

And he presumably talks to TVA agents that do go to Earth.

The fish joke was bad.
mzT3x5z.gif

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But if he eats human food, but has never seen fish in any capacity, that's very odd.

And he presumably talks to TVA agents that do go to Earth.

The fish joke was bad.

I don't think he eats human food is the point. I think Owen Wilson doesn't even need to eat food but does it for fun since he goes to Earth so often. Casey on the other hand never goes to Earth.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
I just assumed they were all robots, and that's what the robot detector was about.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I don't really understand how Loki can be a variant if he escaped due to something that's part of the sacred timeline. surely he was "destined" to escape?

can the TVA see their own future too? why do they need to "hunt down" variants if they can just know everything that ever happens and will happen?

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I don't really understand how Loki can be a variant if he escaped due to something that's part of the sacred timeline. surely he was "destined" to escape?

can the TVA see their own future too? why do they need to "hunt down" variants if they can just know everything that ever happens and will happen?
The way I see it, they essentially have the play by play/visuals of what SHOULD happen according to their timeline, and anything that happens that's different from their records is considered a deviation.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
This would be true for any other normal TV show but these MCU D+ shows have like crazy movie budgets behind them

"Hey Kevin, can we drop an extra $15k per episode to CGI out some of the faces so internet nerds don't get into a big hissy fit about what the drones are eating and therefore whether they'd know what a fish is, undermining a brief joke we have in the first episode?"

"You're fired."

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
2xarztjveg471.jpg

615 and 616? Mean anything? Reddit says its about the universes having numerical designations or something? I dont read the comics so that shits french to me.

edit: Why do people add big ass red circles when they arent needed..

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
2xarztjveg471.jpg

615 and 616? Mean anything? Reddit says its about the universes having numerical designations or something? I dont read the comics so that shits french to me.

616 is the designation for the primary Marvel Comicsverse.

Other universes have different numbers. I think MCU has a number too.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2xarztjveg471.jpg

In the comics, different universes within the multiverse are numbered. The prime comics universe is Earth-616. The MCU is Earth-19999 according to some art book or something. Hopefully that gets retconned into a better number.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
What's getting me excited is that supposedly the second episode is even better, at least going off of the reviews online

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
My main question (which I suppose they'll have to address at some point) is why are the Time Keepers so cool with Thanos using the stones to destroy the stones? There would be a reason for them to want that in the sacred timeline...

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I also have to wonder... if the TVA is all of time, why do they choose Earth 1960/70's look and feel? I get irked that everyone is a human (barring one whole Skrull in the background) and that they're not in some actual timeless design/fashion world.

Honestly I would say a lot of the script writers and production staff grew up or watched shows in that era.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The film Brazil probably. Basically set the standard for what divine bureacracy looks like since it came out. You see it all the time in shows even today like Legends of Tomorrow, The Good Place, etc.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My main question (which I suppose they'll have to address at some point) is why are the Time Keepers so cool with Thanos using the stones to destroy the stones? There would be a reason for them to want that in the sacred timeline...
Why? From the looks of it, infinity stones are responsible for many of the variances they see.

Oct 28, 2017
California
So the common thing the MCU always has to deal with is "where was X when Y happened", and in this case in order to hand wave that away, is making the TVA ok with Avengers and their time travel? "It was supposed to happen". Ok.

I hate time travel, but the MCU has so many good characters and stories that it cancels out my dislike for time travel.

Episode 1 was pretty good. Way better that Falcon and Winter Soldier but not as good as WandaVision's first episode.

Oct 25, 2017
That episode was so fun! Hiddleston and Wilson were soooo good together. Also liking the idea of one of our comic book villains come to life, but real life is an advanced sci-fi world run by a mundane bureaucratic system. Feeling the inspiration for these scenes has also been really fun with some historic looking photography/sets like the plane scene, the final scene reminding me of Days of Heaven, and of course the retro look of the TVA place. I loved the shot as Loki said "I thought there was no magic here" which reminded me of more early 20th century sci-fi (like Metropolis) more than anything.

Was really feeling these humanist touches to it against the backdrop of their satirical take on the TVA, with Mobius looking like the most trustworthy character to guide us through it all. Overall I'm super impressed with how it managed to grab me.

Apr 19, 2018
Just to confirm..... Mobius is fully aware that Loki had watched the rest of his file toward the end of the episode and that Loki knows of his ultimate fate, correct?

I'm making sense of Loki's question when Mobius walks back into the room, where he says, "I can't go back, can I? Back to my timeline?" This is both he and Mobius acknowledging that going back would mean certain death for Loki?

Seems like the obvious read into their exchange, but just wanted to make sure.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Why would keepers of time have any reason to concern themselves with the destruction of infinity stones? That's not their department like at all

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

From what we've been given so far, they're not 'cool' or 'not cool' with anything anyone does. They have a literal script that all of time in the sacred timeline is supposed to follow. The TVA exist to make sure that script is followed by every single being. If that script says Thanos destroys the stones, then so be it.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Why? From the looks of it, infinity stones are responsible for many of the variances they see.
Why would keepers of time have any reason to concern themselves with the destruction of infinity stones? That's not their department like at all
From what we've been given so far, they're not 'cool' or 'not cool' with anything anyone does. They have a literal script that all of time in the sacred timeline is supposed to follow. The TVA exist to make sure that script is followed by every single being. If that script says Thanos destroys the stones, then so be it.

On top of all these I'd like to add that they literally do not give a shit about the Stones. Motherfuckin' Casey from accounting has like 20 of them in a bin in his fucking desk like a bunch of pet rocks.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Right, so I see that coming up whenever the writers get to fleshing out the Time Keepers. Part of their plan is to prune branches that could lead to multiverse madness, part of that is the stones will get destroyed in their sacred timeline.

I didn't mean "question" as "problem", meant it like "curiosity". There's world building there.

Given how many they confiscated, they must see meddling with them to potentially lead to multiverse wars. If Loki grabbing the tesseract would mean Thanos doesn't destroy them, and that's why they're on his ass, there's potential for lore there. The Avengers and Steve can dick around so long as Steve returns the stones, Loki grabbing it is seen as a problem for obvious reasons.

If the Time Keepers get screen time in either the show or Doctor Strange 2 (like Dormamu), it being a part of their plan will probably come up.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
On top of all these I'd like to add that they literally do not give a shit about the Stones. Motherfuckin' Casey from accounting has like 20 of them in a bin in his fucking desk like a bunch of pet rocks.

This, 100%. Even in the comics the Infinity Stones are not the most powerful things in the universe anymore.
It's a deliberate move to setup the next phase in the MCU.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I've been thinking. Loki totally pocketed the time stone right? I didn't see him put it back and he can totally use it outside of the TVA. Maybe he did put it back and they didn't show it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I've been thinking. Loki totally pocketed the time stone right? I didn't see him put it back and he can totally use it outside of the TVA. Maybe he did put it back and they didn't show it.
Perhaps. But you can here a clinking noise and see his hand emerge open and empty. More than likely he dropped it back in the drawer.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Watched it again. I know I said it before, but man. The art direction and music in just this first episode are outstanding.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The TVA isn't there to stop time travel or even meddling with time, it's to prevent a multiverse from forming.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Their rules are still loopy. Loki getting the space stone and teleporting away wouldn't create a new multiverse as it stands. It just created a time branch. How could it create a totally new universe?

Raimi's Spider-Man movies are in a different multiverse. Loki wasn't getting to those (or any other) just by having the cube.

Maybe they'll go into more detail on how branches can cause really bad things to happen? They only gave a cute animated graph to show that SOMETHING happens, but not really what or how.

There are other multiverses out there, but no one (that we know) is aware of them yet. When the 3 Time masters "merged" the multiverse during the "war" it didn't seem like they made just one singular one, but that they put them parallel with each other without any drastic differences.

Going back to the problem with Marvel time travel in general, if the TVA knows all things for all time, then how is anything a Nexus or Deviant? They'd know that already so that fuck up to us would be how it's supposed to be to them. My own personal theory on time travel to have it make sense is that in any one time line there is a correct normal path (or Prime) timeline. This is what the TVA sees and knows about. So to their knowledge, Loki never grabbed the cube and got away, hence why they detect him and say he's a Deviant. I just wish they made these things more clear to the viewer so we understand all their rules.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Confused: If there's only one timeline and they're hunting a Loki, but they have this Loki, does that mean Hunted Loki is a remainder of another 'reset' timeline?

and if so, doesn't that mean Hunted Loki had to have been created later in life than this Loki was since this Loki has no knowledge of it?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
So the Ancient One totally knew about the sacred timeline and shit right? And that's how she was able to explain the (nonsense) rules of time travel to banner?

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Man that was a great first ep. loved the whole aesthetic and overall premise. Felt like the comedy landed Better than the other Disney+ marvel shows so far too.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Theyre trying to make the TVA and their tech look both old and new. If everything looked alien it wouldnt look old or new to us, it would just look… alien lol

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Prediction: Loki prevents his own death. The loki who isn't killed by thanos is the loki theyre hunting.