• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Sorry if this has been answered already but how are the Avengers not guilty here. The TVA said they were supposed to do the endgame stuff but then that means Loki was supposed to grab the tesseract and leave...otherwise they wouldn't have had to go back even further to get the stone.
Avengers are supposed to grab the tesseract from 2012 timeline and leave, later returning the tesseract to 2012 timeline again after they're finished. Loki escape is the one messing things up according to TVA

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty good so far. Not much to say because there's so much left to reveal.

As for the stones and the rest, I'm just going on the assumption that the TVA exists entirely outside of normal spacetime.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
This entire thing reminds me of a short story by sci-fi author Greg Egan, about exactly this concept actually. Its about a "parallel universe enforcement agent" who's job is to track down people who are jumping through alternate realities and kill them because doing so causes ripple effects that damage the world around them. He believes that his agency has basically a 100% success record, until one mission where he catches up with his target and discovers that no, actually they fail as often as they succeed and the act of catching the target is just as subject to the splitting of timelines as anything else

The TVA might not be doing nearly as good a job as they think they are at keeping the multiverse in check

I love Greg Egan but haven't read this one. What's it called?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While i very much enjoyed this it is getting insanely ridiculous how they are inventing just new layers of ultimate power to the point of irrelevance. Nothing will ultimately matter just like Loki realizing they use infinity stones as paper weights.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
This was amazing. I would have definitely binged if they dropped them all at once lol. And I rarely binge shows.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
So what are the TVA agents supposed to be? Casey apparently never leaves his job so he never eats or sleep? They don't seem to have super powers since a fire was able to kill them.
Hopefully their origins are explained in the series and also than thing about robots too.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting the exact same vibes with this as I did with WandaVision. The first few episodes of WandaVision had me feeling indifferent, but still curious as to where it was all going. Eventually I ended up getting hooked and loved it. Hoping the same happens with Loki but right now I wasn't super into that first episode.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Ok new theory, evil Loki somehow found out about their death at the hands of Thanos and is doing whatever they can do prevent it..which also involves somehow making 2012 loki escapewith the Tesseract.

The 2012 loki having to face "evil loki" is essential him fighting against his old ways..a bit on the nose here but essentially his character growth.

Last edited:

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I really wasn't as confused by questions like "why didn't they go after steve, then?" as lots of people in this topic seem to be.

The TVA exists outside of time. They know what has happened and what is going to happen. They aren't surprised by Thanos, or the Avengers, or Steve Rodgers any more than you're surprised that when you open a door in your house your bathroom is on the other side.

They have the complete picture of the completely timeline. And in their complete picture, the avengers were supposed to do what they did. Loki was not supposed to do what he did. They aren't there to stop bad things like Thanos from happening. They are there to keep all events happening in the way they have foreseen. Things happening "correctly". So for anything they DIDNT correct, like Steve Rodgers, that obviously means that event wasn't a variant. That's it.

Now... are they being honest? Are they as infallible as they claim? Do they have a secret motivation for wanting to preserve a single timeline? Is all as it seems?

These are all questions the show may delve into. But the text of episode 1, as the TVA is presented to us now, is very clear cut in my opinion.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Another nitpick, DB Cooper jumped at night :p

I adored this, digging them exploring Loki's psyche and stuff. The absolute look of being crushed when he realized that the infinity stones were paperweights here wow.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Whens kid loki

I adored this, digging them exploring Loki's psyche and stuff. The absolute look of being crushed when he realized that the infinity stones were paperweights here wow.
That was a good scene, but I would also argue it looked like...revelation? I dunno maybe I'm reading to far into it, but it felt like he got an idea in that moment.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017

They could easily argue that in the MCU's reality, it happened in the day time.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like Loki is going to lead to the entire destruction of the TVA or completely upend the way it operates by the end of this season, to allow some of the stuff we know is coming in future movies.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Started off really good and since Wanda is gonna cause things to go crazy maybe we'll get a Loki cameo in dr strange 2?

Steve probably knew not to mess with time when he decided to live with Peggy after what Stark said "you mess with time it tends to mess back" so Steve was
s h o o k

Last edited:

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
This, more than the previous Marvel shows feels like it could sustain multiple seasons of content. I hope it does.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Now after seeing a few reviews from viewers on YT; MANY of them are super super bothered by the fact that not all time travel is prohibited; I.E. "Why didn't the TVA arrest the Avengers in Endgame" stuff.

They explained this just fine in the episode in my view, but if this many people feel unsatisfied or if they missed it, that's kind of a missed opportunity IMO. I don't really understand why so many have that takeaway. I understand feeling that its arbitrary to a degree, I think that's intentional because the TVA I expect won't be as righteous as they claim to be in the end though.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
In my second watch I noticed that when Miss Minutes is explaining the timelines she refers to "Multiverse" and "Madness".

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God, this show is so absolutely my shit. I can't believe MCU is actually going fully off the deep end with the timeline rules shenanigans. Fucking love it.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
They explained this just fine in the episode in my view, but if this many people feel unsatisfied or if they missed it, that's kind of a missed opportunity IMO. I don't really understand why so many have that takeaway. I understand feeling that its arbitrary to a degree, I think that's intentional because the TVA I expect won't be as righteous as they claim to be in the end though.
Yeah I think of it as the TVA being cops. That they don't really have as airtight reasons that they claim to. We'll see

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
that's the one with the flying meatballs, right

One of my guilty pleasure movies. I just love time travel. A LOT considering I love that movie. Chained Chomps on Meth eating up past.
Chain_Chomp.png

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing that the two Loki's we know about are actually the same Loki just at different times. And at some point during the series, we're going to see how Loki becomes the Loki that's causing them problems and see a bunch of scenes we've already seen from a new perspective. And that the TVA actually created their own problem by nabbing him in the first place.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that the two Loki's we know about are actually the same Loki just at different times. And at some point during the series, we're going to see how Loki becomes the Loki that's causing them problems and see a bunch of scenes we've already seen from a new perspective. And that the TVA actually created their own problem by nabbing him in the first place.
Assuming that's actually Loki. They never showed his face, Mobius could be lying.

In any case, I love how TVA just nonchalantly introduces powers and entities that make the infinity stones look like candy. Rolling out the red carpet for villains like Galactus.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
man when they'd shown the DB Cooper stuff in the promotional material I thought that was going to be one of the missions he went on and have some relevance to the plot and not just some unrelated flashback. kindof a bummer

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I really wasn't as confused by questions like "why didn't they go after steve, then?" as lots of people in this topic seem to be.

The TVA exists outside of time. They know what has happened and what is going to happen. They aren't surprised by Thanos, or the Avengers, or Steve Rodgers any more than you're surprised that when you open a door in your house your bathroom is on the other side.

They have the complete picture of the completely timeline. And in their complete picture, the avengers were supposed to do what they did. Loki was not supposed to do what he did. They aren't there to stop bad things like Thanos from happening. They are there to keep all events happening in the way they have foreseen. Things happening "correctly". So for anything they DIDNT correct, like Steve Rodgers, that obviously means that event wasn't a variant. That's it.

Now... are they being honest? Are they as infallible as they claim? Do they have a secret motivation for wanting to preserve a single timeline? Is all as it seems?

These are all questions the show may delve into. But the text of episode 1, as the TVA is presented to us now, is very clear cut in my opinion.

One scene that I don't think is getting much attention is the final one but before Variant Loki burns the Minutemen down. They report to what one quickly guesses is a time traveler setting themselves up for the future, and his immediate response is "eh, prune it before we have to write up paperwork."

The TVA is bullshit. They're bureaucratic beyond absurdity and their standards are both super-strict and yet flexible enough to be arbitrary bordering on hypocritical - it honestly wouldn't even surprise me if Endgame Steve was "part of the plan" somehow. And I'm pretty sure that bullshit is intentional, and not in a "roll with it so we don't have to explain it" kind of way. They are not a noble organization, and even if they aren't straight-up evil it's still unnerving seeing the TVA so above and beyond what the MCU has shown so far with seemingly no one else above them. Like, the entire Infinity Saga revolved around the awesome universal might of the Infinity Stones and yet the TVA offices pass them around like cubicle swag, and one of them's got like 15 in his fucking desk.

Just jumping on it now, but I'm totally down with the theory that the TVA is going to end up severely weakened or even destroyed as a result of some amount of Loki burning-to-the-ground, which in turn opens up the MCU multiverse, something that What If, NWH, and MoM will all pick up on.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So what are the TVA agents supposed to be? Casey apparently never leaves his job so he never eats or sleep? They don't seem to have super powers since a fire was able to kill them.
Hopefully their origins are explained in the series and also than thing about robots too.
Modified human clones who live in a space outside of time that doesn't obey the normal flow so they're ageless. In the comics the Casey equivelents don't even get faces and all the middle managers are clones of the same person

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
One scene that I don't think is getting much attention is the final one but before Variant Loki burns the Minutemen down. They report to what one quickly guesses is a time traveler setting themselves up for the future, and his immediate response is "eh, prune it before we have to write up paperwork."

The TVA is bullshit. They're bureaucratic beyond absurdity and their standards are both super-strict and yet flexible enough to be arbitrary bordering on hypocritical - it honestly wouldn't even surprise me if Endgame Steve was "part of the plan" somehow. And I'm pretty sure that bullshit is intentional, and not in a "roll with it so we don't have to explain it" kind of way. They are not a noble organization, and even if they aren't straight-up evil it's still unnerving seeing the TVA so above and beyond what the MCU has shown so far with seemingly no one else above them. Like, the entire Infinity Saga revolved around the awesome universal might of the Infinity Stones and yet the TVA offices pass them around like cubicle swag, and one of them's got like 15 in his fucking desk.

Just jumping on it now, but I'm totally down with the theory that the TVA is going to end up severely weakened or even destroyed as a result of some amount of Loki burning-to-the-ground, which in turn opens up the MCU multiverse, something that What If, NWH, and MoM will all pick up on.
You are a smart cookie and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Assuming that's actually Loki. They never showed his face, Mobius could be lying.

www.bbc.com

Marvel's Loki is the show that fans have been waiting for

Centred on Tom Hiddleston's devilishly charismatic villain, the franchise's latest foray into TV skilfully bridges the gap between the inventive and the familiar, writes Stephen Kelly.
this bbc review ends with
"The ending of episode two is fairly shocking, and will likely result in some of the most perverse fan fiction the internet has ever seen."
which means
1) the writer is a noob at how much perverse fan fiction is out there and probably never searched for Supernatural fanfiction
2) it basically confirms the big bad is Lady Loki

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah you can definitely see it. The end with them avoiding paperwork, the lack of "nobility" by straight up killing people for not having a ticket. The super obvious propaganda playing on the TV. I also get the feeling the reset devices are.. Uhh.. maybe not super moral, in the cartoon the animation showed the deviated timeline just abruptly being brought to an end. Not merging back or diverting, just being cut off.

I really wonder what happens to the people, or whatever after they are left behind. The agents certainly seem to never want to be around when those things go off. They always leave first. I dunno man.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017

Oh yeah, for sure. I'm just saying "we prevent what isn't supposed to happen and we allow what is supposed to happen" is be definition a completely airtight explanation in every single way. Because you can claim that anything you didn't prevent... was just supposed to happen. Like Endgame's time travel and Steve peacing-out back in time. If the TVA doesn't fix it they can just say "yes this is part of the correct timeline" :P

Again, it sure seems like they're full of shit. But I'm just arguing that there's no plothole or double-standard for why Loki was picked up but not Tony Stark.

An aside - Someone a couple pages back was talking about how Loki taking the tesseract had an immediate ripple, causing the avengers to travel back further to the military base. And asking why the TVA didn't prevent that, which was caused by the Loki variant, but they did stop the Loki variant itself. I believe this is also answered in the text of Episode 1. We see they have devices to monitor the "divergence" in the timeline. And that they aren't concerned when it's small - they only care when it's a big divergence, and approaches or crosses the "Red line."

Loki taking the tesseract is a huge divergence. The Avengers borrowing (then returning) the tesseract is not. That timeline ripple righted itself.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
But the Avengers got all of the stones from the past in different universes, and Tony's snap worked in the main timeline. It just seems like whatever dimension the TVA is located in is the only place they are just stones. At least that's all I could gather from one episode.
It was the same universe just different time periods

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Mobius said something about Loki being born to be an obstacle for others to overcome and become better versions of themselves in the process. Maybe the other Loki is trying to make a better version of himself.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dr. Strange is probably a TVA agent of some kind, so I've got to imagine having him on the roster of the Avengers keeps most things in check (I mean, he was the one who saw the 'only outcome', so my guess is there were probably others that he didn't mention as they'd deviate too far away).

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
This really has a great control like look to it. Old ass looking tech that is secretly neo-tech and more powerful than anything in the universe. I love it!