• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Right. That is the dilemma.

But the reality is, billions and trillions of lives were being lost with HWRs method. Neither choice guaranteed salvation, but one gave people agency, and the other doomed realities on the whim of an individual.

At least with the "free will" option, people have an opportunity to decide for themselves- to perhaps rise up against whatever Kang might emerge. Like I said above, HWR says the others are worse, but that isn't exactly am unbiased opinion and surely that's a matter of perspective. Like is the guy who conquers realities to squelch the multiversal war worse than the guy who instead feeds scores of them to alioth, before a variant certain variant can exist? Sylvie had no reason to believe that HWR had the best solution, and had every reason to reject the notion.

I wish I was artistic so I could draw a Sylvie multiverse trolly dilemma.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm a bit late to this, but the reset charges deleting only selected items is, I believe, mostly just a way the writers to show that it's only certain items or people in the universe who matter when talking about time. There isn't an extra, off-screen method of deleting an entire timeline. That would mean a Void full of literal Earths and universes, not just random easter eggs from the MCU. It's clear the TVA doesn't go and erase entire, young, universe. They just have to erase certain key items or people and the timeline ceases to exists. Maybe it wipes away people's memories too, who knows.

Like, yeah, I guess it would've been more precise to have the reset chargers just erase the entire space around them, but the goal of making them only erase certain items is meant to show also why variants and people's decisions are so important to timelines.

It's hard to explain, but showing us the reset chargers only deleting certain key "things" (including people) in a space, highlights the importance of people's decisions in the universe to alter the course of time, which is one of the main themes of the show.

The story trusts us to know this difference and to understand what they're trying to tell us.

The story explicitly tells us, several times, that the entire branched reality is sent to the void.

sylvie said:
as soon as that created a big enough detour from the sacred timeline, the TVA showed up, erased my reality and took me prisoner

Renslayer said:
when we prune a branched reality...we move it to a place on the timeline where it won't continue growing...Basically the branched reality isn't reset it's transferred...to a void at the end of time

Boastful Loki said:
They send entire branched realities here that are devoured in an instant.

Then there was this entire exchange
Mobius and Silvie said:
M: all this time I thought we were the good guys
S: Annihilating entire realities, orphaning little girls, classic hero stuff
M: I guess when you think the ends justify the means there's not much you won't do...By the way, you did some annihilating too
S: I did what I had to do
M: yeah, so did I

The show only depicts certain items showing up in the void, because from a practical standpoint, how do you an entire universe full of matter arriving on a singular landmass? As a point of reference, It's much easier to show a few remaining scraps rather than Alioth's entire meal.

As far as it appearing that reset charges only prune the local area- think about perspective. If an entire planet is being moved to the void, along with the universe it exists in, how would that look to a camera placed on the planet? It would percieve no change at all- just like we don't percieve our solar system moving around a black hole. My guess is that the items we see getting "reset" are actually the items the TVA keeps while the rest of the reality is sent to the void. It would explain Renslayers collection of items, including the pen from her own pruning.

the concept of removing a few items, a single person and restoring the timeline to its intended path, variant and all, was propaganda that turned out to be a lie.

Last edited:

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Finished watching the series yesterday night, really enjoyed it. Loki (and the Loki variants) are all great characters. Looking forward to the season 2.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
The story explicitly tells us, several times, that the entire branched reality is sent to the void.

Then there was this entire exchange

The show only depicts certain items showing up in the void, because from a practical standpoint, how do you an entire universe full of matter arriving on a singular landmass? As a point of reference, It's much easier to show a few remaining scraps rather than Alioth's entire meal.

As far as it appearing that reset charges only prune the local area- think about perspective. If an entire planet is being moved to the void, along with the universe it exists in, how would that look to a camera placed on the planet? It would percieve no change at all- just like we don't percieve our solar system moving around a black hole. My guess is that the items we see getting "reset" are actually the items the TVA keeps while the rest of the reality is sent to the void. It would explain Renslayers collection of items, including the pen from her own pruning.

the concept of removing a few items, a single person and restoring the timeline to its intended path, variant and all, was propaganda that turned out to be a lie.

I do agree that there's dialogue in the story that says they destroy entire realities, or universes, but I just think they mean they prevent those realities from ever existing, not that they send it to the Void or destroy it.

Take in mind they erase those realities that are created after a Nexus event though. Supposedly, they didn't delete the original universe where Sylvie was born, just the universe that was created after her Nexus event (which still remains a mystery, but apparently has to do with her toys). We see this in The Void.

What I wanted to communicate with my original response, was that the show, for storytelling, visual, and maybe even budgetary reasons (although I don't think it's so much a question of budget) shows us the TVA only deleting certain items, some as big as Pyramids or spaceships, from the Sacred Timeline. The Sacred Timeline, by the way, might have or might have not been be actually just several very similar timelines woven into a rope, that are compatible with He Who Remains' goal of avoiding more variants of Kang.

Eliminating Sylvie and her toys avoided the creation of another timeline, but that doesn't mean that they pruned the entire timeline that existed before her Nexus event where Sylvie exists.

In the end, like someone else said here, time travelling stories are difficult to really get right down to the last little detail. The true nature of time is difficult for us to comprehend, much less in a story made for a tv show that wants to attract a wide audience. We have to watch these shows knowing there are limits to just how precise they can be about the rules they set up. Just like in any other sci-fi show.

I think overall, Loki has been able to make coherent rules to the multiverse and how the TVA operates.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching the series.

I can't believe it goes from my least interested D+ MCU series (never really cared about Loki tbh...) to one of my favorite MCU works ever.

Also immediately google "Kang The Conqueror". Lol I already find him more interesting and cooler than Thanos. I like how he is just a normal dude and not some superpowered aliens or gods. Tony Stark on crack 🤣

Question : technically He Who Remains is not actually "prime" Kang, right ? Because he exist before TVA and the whole "Sacred Timeline" thing ?

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's him, I don't mean that hes "wrong" just in this final episode his observations quickly turn to "this is what this means for the future" in a factual style and doesn't make it clear he's just theorizing - which to me it's clear he's theorizing but I could see some folks taking what he says as fact. I don't have a huge problem with it, it was just something I noticed that I feel he might need to work on in his format. like I said, it's just me nitpicking what otherwise was an enjoyable video
he does make that sort of reach often enough that I think some people watching might take as accurate which in many cases might have just been too far, like the video he made of explaining how Thanos and Cable could be variants of each other because they're played by the same actor

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Watching this sequence after Loki season 1 is... enlightening.
It's like they had it planned out. The intro in episode 6. Crazy.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Watching this sequence after Loki season 1 is... enlightening.
It's like they had it planned out. The intro in episode 6. Crazy.

Similarly, my sister was watching Endgame and I came in near the end and in that just scene where they send Steve back he says "Gotta prune those branches" and I had the same feeling of "Wow, they really thought it out!" even though that's much closer to Loki then DS.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
These are always funny but it feels like he didn't have enough goofy stuff to poke fun at in this one.

I love Pitch Meetings not because of the "goofy stuff" but because of the larger story and structural problems he points out in these stories. For instance, the rapid development of Loki from villain to good guy because he watched a movie or how Sylvie basically takes over the show such that Loki is just tagging along her story. He points out many of the issues I had with the show in a succinct manner, whilst also picking at some goofy stuff that's just good fun.

Charliebear

Oct 29, 2017
We are explicitly told that the reset charges actually transfer entire realities to the void.

As for Sylvie, she DID erase entire realities- this is also confirmed in her conversation with Mobius as they rode through the void together.
But isn't this actually all they do is remove the things that would start to make the the change, the branch. If you remove that object/person etc then ther branch doesn't form/exist and so you just keep the singular timeline?

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
I love Pitch Meetings not because of the "goofy stuff" but because of the larger story and structural problems he points out in these stories. For instance, the rapid development of Loki from villain to good guy because he watched a movie or how Sylvie basically takes over the show such that Loki is just tagging along her story. He points out many of the issues I had with the show in a succinct manner, whilst also picking at some goofy stuff that's just good fun.
I get some of that but the audience has already been through the Loki arc from bad to good so dragging it out just makes the audience wait unnecessarily. Showing how your choices in life lead to your mistakes and death in the future can be pretty effective. Even up to the penultimate episode he's learning how his old ways affected things.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
That is not how that works...the reset charges don't just erase a single person's presence from the timeline, it erases that whole branch. That's the whole point of pruning branches! They're not snipping individuals out of existence, they're wiping out entire timelines. Everything Sylvie touches disappears because that version of Asgard has to disappear, but it doesn't mean Asgard itself is wiped out, just that reality of it. Loki stealing the tesseract was a nexus event; it wouldn't make sense to erase his 60 seconds in Mongolia, but preserve the event that created the branch in the first place.

I'm sure this is just a coincidence. The cause of the threshold being crossed at the end is that the TVA has stopped pruning branches. Don't think Wanda would have anything to do with it.
This is the same question I've had since the beginning of the show and why I don't want to think too deeply about it or even engage in discussion of it here...if the TVA resetting the timeline means erasing the alternate 2012 universe from existence, how would Steve be able to go back there to return the time stone and Loki's scepter?

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
This is the same question I've had since the beginning of the show and why I don't want to think too deeply about it or even engage in discussion of it here...if the TVA resetting the timeline means erasing the alternate 2012 universe from existence, how would Steve be able to go back there to return the time stone and Loki's scepter?

The TVA is He Who Remains and it's pretty simple per the last episode: HHR (mostly) doesn't prune variants, he prunes variants that lead to Kangs arising.

The stuff with miss minutes and TVA propaganda was just that, a benevolent creed for the TVA. Not what was really going on.

You know, for three longest time I avoided these just because the thumbnails rub me the wrong way and then I watched the Black Widow one and I just find it obnoxious. I can see the appeal, but it's just not for me.

It's bottom barrel clickbait content. Net version of Weekly World News, and it absolutely destroys your algorithm and recommendations.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
But isn't this actually all they do is remove the things that would start to make the the change, the branch. If you remove that object/person etc then ther branch doesn't form/exist and so you just keep the singular timeline?
No.

The branch already exists... branches existing isn't inherently problematic. TVA gets involved when a branch is straying too far away from its intended path. Causing the branch to cease to exist is a mass causality event. That's why the the dialog refers to it as "annihilation" of "entire realities"

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Steve returned everything moments after they were taken.... presumably before the TVA prunes the timeline.

Or he didn't get back to the 2012 branch because there was no branch to go back to... which harms no one.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it while it was premiering. I like all of his videos and the only one I didn't like was actually another MCU property, which was Civil War. For this one though, I feel like it was a missed opportunity for him to make a joke about why the TVA didn't go after 2014 Thanos or anyone from the 1970 branch who would undoubtedly become variants if Tony and Steve weren't supposed to be there
The TVA is He Who Remains and it's pretty simple per the last episode: HHR (mostly) doesn't prune variants, he prunes variants that lead to Kangs arising.

The stuff with miss minutes and TVA propaganda was just that, and creed for the TVA. Not what was really going on.
yeah, it's very easy for me to take everything I felt was wrong about the show and attribute it to it being all things that HHR wanted to happen.

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is probably going to be hard to understand, but them pruning a timeline doesn't destroy anything that came before the point it was pruned. So Cap would be able to go back to the moments they took the stones and return them, because the timeline hadn't been pruned at that point. It's only pruned after Loki warps out and lands in the Gobi desert, which is after they've already grabbed the other stones. Imagine that literally the instant Hulk steps off that roof with the Time stone, Cap appears and hands it right back to the Ancient One, so it effectively was never missing. That's the only way they are able to prevent a branch from being created.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is probably going to be hard to understand, but them pruning a timeline doesn't destroy anything that came before the point it was pruned. So Cap would be able to go back to the moments they took the stones and return them, because the timeline hadn't been pruned at that point. It's only pruned after Loki warps out and lands in the Gobi desert, which is after they've already grabbed the other stones. Imagine that literally the instant Hulk steps off that roof with the Time stone, Cap appears and hands it right back to the Ancient One, so it effectively was never missing. That's the only way they are able to prevent a branch from being created.
That's not hard to understand at all. And I don't think it's supposed to be; the showrunners would want the audience to be following along.

What you're saying is not unlike how the time stone works and it is also a repeat of a discussion I had early in this thread, but also one I found problematic for a few reasons. First is, Steve has two places to go in the 2012 timeline. He has to first give the time stone back to the Ancient One like you said, and he then has to put Loki's scepter down next to his unconscious 2012 counterpart. That is after all, the last place is scepter is supposed to be. We don't know how whether it's just minutes or hours that pass between Bruce's mission, Scott's/Tony's mission, and Steve's mission. That's too much of an assumption going on that the timing was perfect. That is why I think it would be important to see how the TVA would have affected Steve's mission of returning them.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
yeah, it's very easy for me to take everything I felt was wrong about the show and attribute it to it being all things that HHR wanted to happen.

It's probably my only disappointment with the exposition dump at the end. HHR basically
orchestrated everything, although his flippant "because you have to travel the path to get here" was amusing.

Free will doesn't really exist in HHRs deterministic, sculpted multiverses. Mostly. He's not a trusted narrator, so there might be exceptions he doesn't let on in his exposition dump, but ultimately Sylvie was pruned to put her on the path. 2012 Loki as well. Hell, even Old Loki, so he could help in a scruff.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
"presumably" but this something that's vital to the story being told. So it's something that should have been delineated, in my opinion

I don't think so.

Endgame told you that the stones were returned moments after they were taken.

This show isn't Endgame. So it isn't vital to THIS story at all. It's not even really important in overall mcu lore, because the branch was either erased with the stones Or Steve Rogers lived with an alternate Peggy, with a timestone, septor, and tesseract in his back pocket- which is a story that may or may not ever be elaborated on.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
They don't actually delete the entire timeline. The charge thing only works for a fixed radius. So Loki teleports to the desert, then the TVA shows up in the desert, drags him away, and reverts everything in that radius to how it "should" be. But New York is still experiencing the effects of the Avengers' time heist, since that's well out of range and the TVA is okay with those shenanigans.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so.

Endgame told you that the stones were returned moments after they were taken.

This show isn't Endgame. So it isn't vital to THIS story at all. It's not even really important in overall mcu lore, because the branch was either erased with the stones. Or Steve Rogers lived with an alternate Peggy, with a timestone, septor, and tesseract in his back pocket- which is a story that may or may not ever be elaborated on.
I do.

Endgame told me that Steve returned the stones, but at that point I didn't know there was more rules about time traveling in this franchise yet to be established - some that are in effect because of the events there.

This show isn't Endgame. And Loki isn't that movie. But both of these stories are a part of the MCU which is the ongoing story. Everything that I'm wondering about won't be answered and it's easy to just not think about it if it is all attributed to Kang. But there is no way Loki's events are irrelevant to Endgame's, since both of these stories involve the 2012 branched timeline.
They don't actually delete the entire timeline. The charge thing only works for a fixed radius. So Loki teleports to the desert, then the TVA shows up in the desert, drags him away, and reverts everything in that radius to how it "should" be. But New York is still experiencing the effects of the Avengers' time heist, since that's well out of range and the TVA is okay with those shenanigans.
Okay, so the 2012 branch exists. It seems like not everyone in this thread is on the same page, but if what you're saying is true, that means 2012 Loki and the tesseract from this timeline are still missing. What does the TVA do about that? Do they clone Loki and the tesseract and put them back in place? And how do they prevent the Avengers from failing to obtain the tesseract?

Nov 30, 2017

the reason is because that timeline wouldn't allow more Kangs to exist. He erases timelines that allow more of him to exist that is all.

there are multiverses in the sacred timeline. The thing that people don't understand is the timeline is just a sequence of events that need to occur for only him to exist. There can still be multiverses in the sacred timeline.

if you watch the cartoon in episode 1 when Ms Minutes explains the war, the multiverses don't merge into one. They ravel around each other and head in the same direction.

When you look at time from his perspective all of time exists upto his point in time which is beyond the end of time so he always lives in the future past all of time until he allows all of time to catch up to his point.

Which is when the two Loki's find him. Since at this point he was done with his life.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The problem is when people actually believe, for some reason, that the TVA erases entire universes if even one person does something slightly contrary to the Sacred Timeline. When you apply that to Endgame, which takes place at different points in time within a singular universe, you're left wondering why the TVA didn't erase the mainline MCU.

They obviously didn't do that because Doctor Strange saw fourteen million futures and that was just fourteen million ways his own actions could affect the future - and obviously any Doctor Strange that chose to follow a different path to the one taken in Endgame would have been a Variant. You multiply that by every living being in the universe and then multiply that by however many universes exist within the multiverse (at least ten thousand maybe more) and you're basically suggesting the TVA erases trillions of universes every minute or something daft like that.

As far as we're aware, the TVA only erases specific people and objects that are out of place in their timeline, but only if it contradicts the Sacred Timeline. Kang is very specific in what actions everyone in a given universe is allowed to take and any actions that contradict his design risk creating a nexus event that will give birth to a new universe that no longer follows the Sacred Timeline and could eventually give birth to its own Kang.

So basically the TVA didn't intervene with any time travel done in Endgame because it was all part of Kang's design. I assume he wanted Steve to return to 2023 and hand the mantle of Captain America to Sam Wilson, so there was no need to erase anything - especially if Steve was doing the TVA's job and cleaning up after the Avengers in the process.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so the 2012 branch exists. It seems like not everyone in this thread is on the same page, but if what you're saying is true, that means 2012 Loki and the tesseract from this timeline are still missing. What does the TVA do about that? Do they clone Loki and the tesseract and put them back in place? And how do they prevent the Avengers from failing to obtain the tesseract?
I don't believe they return Loki or the Tesseract in any way. No Loki shouldn't be a problem: as people have been saying, the TVA isn't concerned with making sure things proceed exactly according to a specific plan, so much as they want to make sure a specific event doesn't happen (Kangs being born). So if a timeline starts heading towards Kang, they intervene and prune away whatever's causing that, but if the timeline won't go in that direction, no need to ensure that there's a Loki in that timeline.

As for the Tesseract, so we know the TVA has a bunch of Infinity Stones lying around. Presumably this means they don't return them. Which, from what The Ancient One has told us, is bad and leads to the death of branched timelines. Although how that works was never clear to me. Regardless, the Avengers go back and return the Stones because they're heroes and care about other timelines and doing the right thing, but the TVA apparently doesn't because they don't really care about keeping timelines healthy and alive. They're cops: their goal isn't to protect the innocent, but to punish the guilty (the variants that might cause a Kang). If over the course of doing their duty a few timelines happen to crumble to stardust because they're missing an Infinity Stone, well, omelets and eggs.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I do.

Endgame told me that Steve returned the stones, but at that point I didn't know there was more rules about time traveling in this franchise yet to be established - some that are in effect because of the events there.

This show isn't Endgame. And Loki isn't that movie. But both of these stories are a part of the MCU which is the ongoing story. Everything that I'm wondering about won't be answered and it's easy to just not think about it if it is all attributed to Kang. But there is no way Loki's events are irrelevant to Endgame's, since both of these stories involve the 2012 branched timeline.

if endgame told you that Steve returned the stones, then Steve returned the stones— moments after they were taken...like endgame said. You can either except endgames explanation or you can make up reasons not to, but this show isn't in anyway conflicting with what endgame said, so there's no need for further explanation.

but whether or not Steve returned the stones immaterial to Loki/ Sylvie's arc in this tv show. It has no bearing on any of these character arcs or this show's plot. It's just lore.

Last edited:

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
the reason is because that timeline wouldn't allow more Kangs to exist. He erases timelines that allow more of him to exist that is all.

there are multiverses in the sacred timeline. The thing that people don't understand is the timeline is just a sequence of events that need to occur for only him to exist. There can still be multiverses in the sacred timeline.

if you watch the cartoon in episode 1 when Ms Minutes explains the war, the multiverses don't merge into one. They ravel around each other and head in the same direction.

When you look at time from his perspective all of time exists upto his point in time which is beyond the end of time so he always lives in the future past all of time until he allows all of time to catch up to his point.

Which is when the two Loki's find him. Since at this point he was done with his life.
Right, there are multiverses which is why there were several characters named Loki who look different from each other. But I guess even those Loki characters have different variations if they went off of a path that they were supposed to. However, whatever Miss Minutes was explaining about the sacred timeline is never something I fully bought. We don't see a realtime example of any character becoming a variant except Sylvie and Loki. But Loki had the opportunity to become a variant because of time travelers changing the events of his timeline. We don't really see what triggered Sylvie to act differently than she is supposed to or a version of child Sylvie doesn't what was meant to happen.
The problem is when people actually believe, for some reason, that the TVA erases entire universes if even one person does something slightly contrary to the Sacred Timeline. When you apply that to Endgame, which takes place at different points in time within a singular universe, you're left wondering why the TVA didn't erase the mainline MCU.

They obviously didn't do that because Doctor Strange saw fourteen million futures and that was just fourteen million ways his own actions could affect the future - and obviously any Doctor Strange that chose to follow a different path to the one taken in Endgame would have been a Variant. You multiply that by every living being in the universe and then multiply that by however many universes exist within the multiverse (at least ten thousand maybe more) and you're basically suggesting the TVA erases trillions of universes every minute or something daft like that.

As far as we're aware, the TVA only erases specific people and objects that are out of place in their timeline, but only if it contradicts the Sacred Timeline. Kang is very specific in what actions everyone in a given universe is allowed to take and any actions that contradict his design risk creating a nexus event that will give birth to a new universe that no longer follows the Sacred Timeline and could eventually give birth to its own Kang.

So basically the TVA didn't intervene with any time travel done in Endgame because it was all part of Kang's design. I assume he wanted Steve to return to 2023 and hand the mantle of Captain America to Sam Wilson, so there was no need to erase anything - especially if Steve was doing the TVA's job and cleaning up after the Avengers in the process.
I wonder if this means that when Strange saw his 14 million variations, that he also saw the TVA show up in each of them to tell him that the Avengers violated the sacred timeline by not going on the one path they were supposed to. Man...the more I think about this the more I feel like the introduction of the TVA in the MCU has made things more worse than better.
I don't believe they return Loki or the Tesseract in any way. No Loki shouldn't be a problem: as people have been saying, the TVA isn't concerned with making sure things proceed exactly according to a specific plan, so much as they want to make sure a specific event doesn't happen (Kangs being born). So if a timeline starts heading towards Kang, they intervene and prune away whatever's causing that, but if the timeline won't go in that direction, no need to ensure that there's a Loki in that timeline.

As for the Tesseract, so we know the TVA has a bunch of Infinity Stones lying around. Presumably this means they don't return them. Which, from what The Ancient One has told us, is bad and leads to the death of branched timelines. Although how that works was never clear to me. Regardless, the Avengers go back and return the Stones because they're heroes and care about other timelines and doing the right thing, but the TVA apparently doesn't because they don't really care about keeping timelines healthy and alive. They're cops: their goal isn't to protect the innocent, but to punish the guilty (the variants that might cause a Kang). If over the course of doing their duty a few timelines happen to crumble to stardust because they're missing an Infinity Stone, well, omelets and eggs.
Hmm but if they don't return Loki or the tesseract to the 2012 timeline, then the events of the timeline would deviate greatly from the sacred timeline anyway. The ending of Avengers would be different, Thor 2 would be different, virtually everything in the future of that universe would be different in some way.

but yeah, throughout this thread I've gotten different responses some people saying timelines are completely erased and some saying that only the event leading up to a potential nexus is what is erased, but the timeline remains intact. But if that's true, then the 2012 timeline would be on a different course as well without the tesseract as well as without Loki. The TVA=cops analogy you made makes sense, but not really in the first episode. The show starts off with Loki hot off the heels of being a villain and we didn't know Kang was behind it all from the get go. Some of it still feels unanswered, but for the sake of storytelling it's enough to paint it all with a brush that it's everything Kang wanted.
if endgame told you that Steve returned the stones than Steve returned the stones— moments after they were taken like endgame said. You can either except endgames explanation or you can make up reasons not to, but this show isn't in anyway conflicting with what endgame said, so there's no need for further explanation.

but whether or not Steve returned the stones immaterial to Loki's arc in this tv show. It has no bearing on any of these character arcs or this shows plot. It's just lore.
I'm not making up reasons not to, Loki and the discussions about Loki are. It's not like the MCU is perfect with storytelling. Things get confusing and sometimes things tend to contradict themselves. Hell, there are two different answers from the makers of Endgame explaining Steve Rogers' return at the very end.

Steve's mission of returning the stones is immaterial to Loki's arc, but not to the rules and settings that the show established. It added rules about time travel, and specifically a place where Steve has to time travel to. It's absolutely relevant in my opinion.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this means that when Strange saw his 14 million variations, that he also saw the TVA show up in each of them to tell him that the Avengers violated the sacred timeline by not going on the one path they were supposed to. Man...the more I think about this the more I feel like the introduction of the TVA in the MCU has made things more worse than better.

The Ancient One did explain why Banner couldn't just take the Time Gem in a similar way to how the TVA explained nexus events, so it's entirely possible that the Sorcerer Supreme knows all about the Sacred Timeline and whatnot. So yeah, I can actually see Strange later explaining that he knows who the TVA is and actually agrees with their mission. Preventing a war breaking out across the multiverse is totally something he'd be supportive of.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not making up reasons not to, Loki and the discussions about Loki are. It's not like the MCU is perfect with storytelling. Things get confusing and sometimes things tend to contradict themselves. Hell, there are two different answers from the makers of Endgame explaining Steve Rogers' return at the very end.

Steve's mission of returning the stones is immaterial to Loki's arc, but not to the rules and settings that the show established. It added rules about time travel, and specifically a place where Steve has to time travel to. It's absolutely relevant in my opinion.

You absolutely are making up reasons not to.

Endgame said the Steve returned the stones moments after they were taken. There's literally nothing about the Loki show that suggests otherwise. There's no rule added in Loki that conflicts with the explanation given in Endgame.

Any assumption that the timeline gets pruned before Steve could bring the stones back is based purely on head-cannon. The actual cannon is that Steve returned the stones.

Last edited:

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
The Ancient One did explain why Banner couldn't just take the Time Gem in a similar way to how the TVA explained nexus events, so it's entirely possible that the Sorcerer Supreme knows all about the Sacred Timeline and whatnot. So yeah, I can actually see Strange later explaining that he knows who the TVA is and actually agrees with their mission. Preventing a war breaking out across the multiverse is totally something he'd be supportive of.
Yeah, for the mission in Infinity War and Endgame the TVA weren't relevant to bring up to Tony. That would all just be a distraction. They needed to stay focused on bringing back the 50%. But I suppose it's possible that Strange didn't know about the TVA before he checked his 14 million possibilities, because the Ancient One would have known too and she didn't say anything to Bruce about it.
You absolutely are making up reasons not to.

Endgame said the Steve returned the stones moments after they were taken. There's literally nothing about the Loki show that suggests otherwise. There's no rule added in Loki that conflicts with the explanation given in Endgame.

Any assumption that the timeline gets pruned before Steve could bring the stones back is based purely on head-cannon. The actual cannon is that Steve returned the stones.
Before Loki the tv show, this franchise established Steve going back in time for the third time to return the stones. That's it. Then all all of a sudden with Loki the tv show, the alternate timelines the Avengers created are relevant again because of the TVA. So no, I am not making up reasons about anything.

The show didn't do a good job of addressing it, and the show gave me a reason to believe that there is a conflict for Steve returning the stones because of the whole concept of timeline pruning. Although it seems like people are mixed about the full nature of pruning. I think the fact that the show just doesn't address is bad storytelling.

Last edited:

jalkerway

Oct 27, 2017
The show didn't do a good job of addressing it,
The show also says that everything the Avengers did was supposed to happen. I interpret that as enough explanation for HHR to just be like "Steve is putting the stones all back, and nothing that happens because of that is anything of concern to me as long as it is done".

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Think I preferred Wandavision to this purely because of the uniqueness of it but this was a good show. I was really impressed by Owen Wilson's performance.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Funny tidbit.

DC's Stargirl star Luke Wilson's wish came true when he and his brother, Owen Wilson, who plays Mobius on Marvel's Loki series, lived together while working in Atlanta on their respective superhero shows.
"I don't know if you've ever lived with anybody in the Marvel universe but… odd people! Very, very odd people."

tvline.com

DC’s Stargirl‘s Luke Wilson Learned Marvel Stars Are ‘Odd People!’ While Living With His Brother Owen Wilson

Luke Wilson talks about living with brother Owen Wilson as they filmed DC's "Stargirl" and Marvel's "Loki" TV series.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for the mission in Infinity War and Endgame the TVA weren't relevant to bring up to Tony. That would all just be a distraction. They needed to stay focused on bringing back the 50%. But I suppose it's possible that Strange didn't know about the TVA before he checked his 14 million possibilities, because the Ancient One would have known too and she didn't say anything to Bruce about it.

Before Loki the tv show, this franchise established Steve going back in time for the third time to return the stones. That's it. Then all all of a sudden with Loki the tv show, the alternate timelines the Avengers created are relevant again because of the TVA. So no, I am not making up reasons about anything.

The show didn't do a good job of addressing it, and the show gave me a reason to believe that there is a conflict for Steve returning the stones because of the whole concept of timeline pruning. Although it seems like people are mixed about the full nature of pruning. I think the fact that the show just doesn't address is bad storytelling.

the show has no reason to address Steve returning the stones because the show isn't about Steve or the stones.

the property that IS about Steve and the stone's told you what Steve did… he returned the Stones moments after they were taken.

It would be bad story telling to bring up Steve and the stones he borrowed in a show that has nothing to do with Steve or any of the stones he borrowed - just to rehash lore that has already been explained in a Steve + Stone centric story.

the concept of timeline pruning in no way conflicts with what you were told Steve did…. At all… unless you bring your own head-cannon into the fold and ,for whatever reason, assume that Steve didn't do what Endgame said he did.

"What if Steve didn't get back to the 2012 branch before the TVA pruned it" is an interesting question- but it's completely immaterial given the official cannon.

Last edited:

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
The show also says that everything the Avengers did was supposed to happen. I interpret that as enough explanation for HHR to just be like "Steve is putting the stones all back, and nothing that happens because of that is anything of concern to me as long as it is done".
The show said everything the Avengers did was supposed to happen. The show didn't say everything that 2014 Thanos did was supposed to happen. And since the Avengers weren't supposed fail to obtain the tesseract in their 2012 heist, this means them traveling to 1970 wasn't supposed to happen. Ravonna's line is in episode 1, and we don't learn or receive a hint about HHR until about episode 3. As far as I can tell, the other branched universes created in Endgame are still not given an explanation for the actions of other characters who should be deemed variants by their own logic of it.

Loki was there only defending his own actions. He doesn't know about the full plan of the Avengers' time heist, or about Steve's mission to return the stones. So if that courtroom scene was meant to be an explanation to the audience about all the rest of the time travel shenanigans in Endgame then it didn't really do that, at least not for me.

the show has no reason to address Steve returning the stones because the show isn't about Steve or the stones.

the property that IS about Steve and the stone's told you what Steve did… he returned the Stones moments after they were taken.

It would be bad story telling to bring up Steve and the stones he borrowed in a show that has nothing to do with Steve or any of the stones he borrowed - just to rehash lore that has already been explained in a Steve + Stone centric story.

the concept of timeline pruning in no way conflicts with what you were told Steve did…. At all… unless you bring your own head-cannon into the fold and ,for whatever reason, assume that Steve didn't do what Endgame said he did.

"What if Steve didn't get back to the 2012 branch before the TVA pruned it" is an interesting question- but it's completely immaterial given the official cannon.
I disagree. This show is about time travel, and it starts off with the same place characters in franchised traveled to through time in a previous installment. Loki is directly tied to Endgame and deals with multiple timelines/universes. One particular timeline that our protagonist Loki is from is one of the same timelines that the Avengers in Endgame traveled to. And Loki's part in that timeline in Endgame is not the end of it since at the end of the movie, Steve has more to do with that timeline.

This thread still seems divided on what pruning a timeline means. Sometimes it seems to mean only erasing an event of a timeline that would lead to a nexus, and sometimes it seems to mean destroying the alternate universe completely. Both ideas are problematic to me but the latter comes into conflict with something established in Endgame: Steve's mission to return the stones.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The show said everything the Avengers did was supposed to happen. The show didn't say everything that 2014 Thanos did was supposed to happen. And since the Avengers weren't supposed fail to obtain the tesseract in their 2012 heist, this means them traveling to 1970 wasn't supposed to happen. Ravonna's line is in episode 1, and we don't learn or receive a hint about HHR until about episode 3. As far as I can tell, the other branched universes created in Endgame are still not given an explanation for the actions of other characters who should be deemed variants by their own logic of it.

Loki was there only defending his own actions. He doesn't know about the full plan of the Avengers' time heist, or about Steve's mission to return the stones. So if that courtroom scene was meant to be an explanation to the audience about all the rest of the time travel shenanigans in Endgame then it didn't really do that, at least not for me.

I disagree. This show is about time travel, and it starts off with the same place characters in franchised traveled to through time in a previous installment. Loki is directly tied to Endgame and deals with multiple timelines/universes. One particular timeline that our protagonist Loki is from is one of the same timelines that the Avengers in Endgame traveled to. And Loki's part in that timeline in Endgame is not the end of it since at the end of the movie, Steve has more to do with that timeline.

This thread still seems divided on what pruning a timeline means. Sometimes it seems to mean only erasing an event of a timeline that would lead to a nexus, and sometimes it seems to mean destroying the alternate universe completely. Both ideas are problematic to me but the latter comes into conflict with something established in Endgame: Steve's mission to return the stones.

The show featuring time travel doesn't mean it needs to rehash lore established in Endgame. Endgame tells us that the stones were returned moments after they were taken. That's literally all that matters. "Loki" didn't present anything to counter this, so there's no reason to assume it isn't true. regardless of how pruning actually works, the cannon tells us that Steve returned the stones to their proper timeline.

This show doesn't come into conflict with Steve returning the stones, unless you convince yourself (with no reason to support the assumption) that Steve didn't actually return the stones.

including any mention of Steve in this show would be pointless. He's not a character in this story. And his success/failure returning the stones had no bearing on anyone's journey in this story. Even if there was some retcon to suggest Steve didn't return the 2012 stones… Regardless of how pruning truly works, the MCU is was forcefully and permanently dissociated from the timeline where Loki escaped, so the point is moot.

so again worst case scenario: what Endgame said of Steve's journey is somehow not cannon, and old man Steve really has two infinity stones in his back pocket… which has no bearing on anything in "Loki" whatsoever- so naturally it wouldn't be mentioned in Loki.

Last edited:

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
The show featuring time travel doesn't mean it needs to rehash lore established in Endgame. Endgame tells us that the stones were returned moments after they were taken. That's literally all that matters. "Loki" didn't present anything to counter this, so there's no reason to assume it isn't true. regardless of how pruning actually works, the cannon tells us that Steve returned the stones to their proper timeline.

This show doesn't come into conflict with Steve returning the stones, unless you convince yourself (with no reason to support the assumption) that Steve didn't actually return the stones.
It's also super easy to just say that returning them was always part of the plan and they just pruned them AFTER he returned in order for him to continue on to be with Carter and eventually turn over the shield to Sam.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017

including any mention of Steve in this show would be pointless. He's not a character in this story. And his success/failure returning the stones had no bearing on anyone's journey in this story. Even if there was some retcon to suggest Steve didn't return the stones… Regardless of how pruning truly works, Loki in this show is was forcefully and permanently dissociated from that timeline. The point is moot.
Dude, I disagree. If you accept Loki with its narrative and storytelling then that's fine. I don't. What Loki introduced with time travel was in conflict with some of the things established in Endgame, and Loki did not resolve these things except with someone like me saying that everything is what He Who Remains wanted to happen.

Steve may not be relevant to the plot of the show, but he is relevant in the topic of time travel in the MCU particularly to the 2012 branch. That's where Loki kicks off. If the show means to say that pruning a branched timeline means erasing it then it does come into conflict with Steve returning the stones. I didn't think it meant that, and I didn't hear such a sentiment until I started having conversations in this thread.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, I disagree. If you accept Loki with its narrative and storytelling then that's fine. I don't. What Loki introduced with time travel was in conflict with some of the things established in Endgame, and Loki did not resolve these things except with someone like me saying that everything is what He Who Remains wanted to happen.

Steve may not be relevant to the plot of the show, but he is relevant in the topic of time travel in the MCU particularly to the 2012 branch. That's where Loki kicks off. If the show means to say that pruning a branched timeline means erasing it then it does come into conflict with Steve returning the stones. I didn't think it meant that, and I didn't hear such a sentiment until I started having conversations in this thread.

I'm not saying it's a masterpiece of story telling. But you are imagining some conflict with Engame lore that doesn't exist. And your suggesting that good storytelling would mean including lore and characters that have no bearing on the story at hand.

If Pruning a branched timeline means erasing it , there is no conflict with Steve returning the stones.
If you accept that Steve returned the stones (which is cannon), and you accept that pruning erases the timeline, then you accept that the TVA ultimately erasing the timeline didn't impact Steve's ability to return the stones. he returned them "moments after they were taken" - before the timeline ceased to exist.

in order to perceive a conflict, you have to create a scenario IN YOUR HEAD, that suggests that the timeline was erased before Steve got a chance to return the stones. But there's literally nothing in Loki that suggests this is the case.

Last edited:

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying it's a masterpiece of story telling. But you are imagining some conflict with Engame lore that doesn't exist. And your suggesting that good storytelling would mean including lore and characters that ha bearing on the story at hand.

If Pruning a branched timeline means erasing it , there is no conflict with Steve returning the stones.
If you accept that Steve returned the stones (which is cannon), and you accept that pruning erases the timeline, then you accept that erasing the timeline didn't impact Steve's ability to return the stones. he returned them "moments after they were taken" - before the timeline was erased.

in order for there to be a conflict, have to create a scenario IN YOUR HEAD, that suggests that the timeline was erased before Steve got a chance to return the stones. But there's literally nothing in Loki that suggests this is the case.
I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I guess one thing I would suggest is having a character on the show that was aware of the same things that the audience up to date is as well that would address the rest of the things time traveling involved in Endgame that didn't bleed into Loki. But you've been of the sentiment that Endgame's time travel plot has nothing to do with Loki's so I would think you would find that unnecessary.

Still, I disagree with the rest of your post and I think we should agree to disagree because I really just cannot agree. If pruning a branched timeline means erasing it, then there 100% is a conflict with Steve returning the stones because that means it is impossible for him to return the stones if the timelines where those stones came from are erased. For all I know, the TVA's erasure of the timelines if that's even what pruning the timeline means could be simultaneous to Steve's returning of them the "moment after they were taken," but I'll never see a conclusion to that because the show just didn't address it.

I didn't see Steve's mission actually pan out, nor did I see the effects of an entire universe erased with a time resetter. But from the beginning I never thought that's what the TVA does; I just didn't think about it too much at all. And by the end it is easy to let it all go by subscribing to the idea that it is what Kang wanted.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Again, they're not pruning deviations from the Avengers timeline. They're pruning deviations in the multiverse that lead to other Kangs rising.

Taking the stones themselves always creates a branch no matter what (opinion). Returning the stones might cause that branch to recollapse into the Endgame timeline. We don't really know the specifics, but ultimately it's not important if the natural variations caused by the events of endgame didn't lead to Kang producing universes.

As for 2012 Loki, his universe was pruned because HHR wanted an audience with him. Otherwise that branch would probably have remained fine. It was NOT pruned because of the explanations of Mobius or Miss Minutes. He Who Remains pulled the strings to have the TVA prune it and set him on a path to the Citadel.

Infinite infinities and random chance make the idea of branching timelines hard to reconcile, but the best explanation is that there's tons of multi-verse strings that make up a "sacred timeline" rope.

It's only sacred because those tightly packed strings don't lead to Kangs variants.

Everything that happened in Endgame can be found and explained along any of those branches within the rope; and we can assume they didn't lead to variant Kangs so were allowed. Steve, shutting around stones, splits; doesn't matter if it doesn't effect HHR's master plan of keeping the multiverse as a woven rope vs the natural web.

Last edited:

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
The Avengers were able to do what they did (retrieve and return the stones) because the TVA/Time Keepers allowed them to do so. It's as simple as that. Mobius even said the Avengers were supposed to win.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
So in my feeble brain everything that happens in the MCU films, up to and including Cap returning the stones and Mjolnir, are required for HWR to come to power. He's from "616", so he needed everything to happen the way they did so he could continue.

In fact, I'd say the MCU right up until after Endgame is required for ALL Kangs, so NONE of the Kangs, HWR included, can't undo that because they would undo themselves. But in the Time War or whatever I imagine all the variant Kangs were from post-Endgame offshoots. The strange nexus events that the TVA clean up in times BEFORE MCU film timelines could all be Kang machinations from the big Time War that HWR needs to cack so they don't steer a timeline or six into generating another Kang.

Kind of like how SkyNET sent multiple Terminators back to different points in time simultaneously, I picture the rival Kangs just shotgunning shit throughout time and space, and after the dust settled, some of it needs to get collapsed by HWR to prevent another Kang, and the rest he could care less about so we get all these Kang-less multiverses.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot, and that some/all of my observations have been raised and debunked, but I needed to vomit out my thoughts so they would no longer trouble me lol

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I get some of that but the audience has already been through the Loki arc from bad to good so dragging it out just makes the audience wait unnecessarily. Showing how your choices in life lead to your mistakes and death in the future can be pretty effective. Even up to the penultimate episode he's learning how his old ways affected things.

Nah, after all the show is called LOKI. If you're unwilling to spend the time to actually examine his character then maybe don't make a show about him.