• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

I stil 100% believe that this Deadline report...

deadline.com

Captain America Eyes Return To The MCU As Chris Evans Nears Deal To Reprise Role In Future Marvel Project

In a move that is sure to rock the Marvel Cinematic Universe, sources tell Deadline that Chris Evans is cleaning the dust off his Captain America attire as he expected reprise the role in the MCU in some form.

...is actually going to end up being Evans playing Torch again in some sort of Avengers: Secret Wars film.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I just finished this and it was definitely the best of all the post Endgame Content. I love where they went with Loki and Sylvie. It never felt forced or pushed and Loki's realisations and development felt so natural. Also absolutely LOVED Jonathan Majors as Immortus/Kang. Can't wait for season 2.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Binged it all yesterday and enjoyed it. Only issue I had with is was the writing and casting of He Who Remains. It was just goofy and terrible. It really brought down the ending.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a dumb question to ask.
Why did Sylvie went from ultra black hair as a child to blonde as an adult ?

Her hair is dyed blonde. Her roots are just as dark as the other Lokis' hair.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Binged it all yesterday and enjoyed it. Only issue I had with is was the writing and casting of He Who Remains. It was just goofy and terrible. It really brought down the ending.
it wasn't really the acting, it was the character. How else do you play a neurotic character other than how this was portrayed. He wasn't meant to be intimidating. He was basically meant to be goofy, because he's gone goofy.

You can see the actor's work in other things and it is stellar. Check out Lovecraft Country if you want to see him in a more serious role.

I have no doubt he'll make an excellent Kang.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
it wasn't really the acting, it was the character. How else do you play a neurotic character other than how this was portrayed. He wasn't meant to be intimidating. He was basically meant to be goofy, because he's gone goofy.

You can see the actor's work in other things and it is stellar. Check out Lovecraft Country if you want to see him in a more serious role.

When he said that the threshold had been passed he had some serious Willy Wonka vibes. In a good Gene Wilder way, not a bad Johnny Depp way.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
When he said that the threshold had been passed he had some serious Willy Wonka vibes. In a good Gene Wilder way, not a bad Johnny Depp way.
I thought it was fine and a fitting performance, but I guess I can see how if you were expecting a big bad, you'd be disappointed that all you got was some goofy guy saying weird shit.

That's not what was supposed to be frightening though. What was supposed to scare you is what he was saying. He spells it out that he's a nice guy compared to his other variants. Except, we already know he's not really a nice guy at all, just killing off people and ruining lives like nothing.

Then you get the statue of a dictator version of the guy at the end. Perhaps it would have been more fitting if he had the entire conqueror outfit on so the statue would look intimidating, but, the statue had to resemble "the goofy guy" so the audience would know who it was.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I thought it was fine and a fitting performance, but I guess I can see how if you were expecting a big bad, you'd be disappointed that all you got was some goofy guy saying weird shit.

That's not what was supposed to be frightening though. What was supposed to scare you is what he was saying. He spells it out that he's a nice guy compared to his other variants. Except, we already know he's not really a nice guy at all, just killing off people and ruining lives like nothing.

Then you get the statue of a dictator version of the guy at the end. Perhaps it would have been more fitting if he had the entire conqueror outfit on so the statue would look intimidating, but, the statue had to resemble "the goofy guy" so the audience would know who it was.
Oh, I wasn't condemning his acting, I thought it was perfect for the role.

But also, it's like half the people complaining about this have never seen a season finale cliffhanger before. There was the right amount of exposition to fill you in on what's really going on and setup what's to come.

viral

Oct 25, 2017

OT, but is the Lovecraft Country any good? I see it was cancelled after one season, does it still tell a complete story?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

But also, it's like half the people complaining about this have never seen a season finale cliffhanger before. There was the right amount of exposition to fill you in on what's really going on and setup what's to come.
No worries, I didn't think you were, I was agreeing with you, but just expanding with my own thoughts.

But yeah, agreed. Most people seemed to like the ending, but it does seem like for at least some it just didn't click.

OT, but is the Lovecraft Country any good? I see it was cancelled after one season, does it still tell a complete story?

Personally I can't recommend shows that end short, but that's really my own hangup, I can't get into shows like that.

But I will say it's a unique show for sure, not much out there quite like it. And it really makes you feel the weight of the race issues that we are experiencing today while still being weird and supernatural.

It's a shame it ended early, it was good. But I can't remember the exact ending enough to say whether there was a complete story enough to enjoy it for one season, because I do know they left some things unanswered.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Fun show and I liked a lot of things about it, but the fact that Loki completely loses his edge and becomes an "aw shucks best buds heart-on-his-sleeve fool for love" kind of kills a lot of the character's appeal. Bit of a generic hero now that doesn't really scan as "Loki" any longer.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

It told the complete story. A season 2 wouldn't have had any source material to build off of.

Lovecraft country was great. Many people didn't appreciate or understand that it was a serial anthology, so the abrupt changes in writing style threw a lot of people off. But it was excellent from start to finish.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, it was good, I recommend it, it got cancelled, but at the same time it wasn't in a place story-wise where a S2 was expected anyhow, it wrapped up its story

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I mean here is the trailer, and even here you can tell his acting is quite different.
www.youtube.com

LOVECRAFT COUNTRY Trailer (2020)

Official Lovecraft Country Series Trailer 2020 | Subscribe ➤ http://abo.yt/ki | Jonathan Majors Series Trailer | Release: 16 Aug 2020 on HBO | More https://K...

Lovecraft Country told some pretty scary "ghost stories" that I still think about, and that
Emmett Till
appearance still gives me the willies.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure how I feel about the quality of the show in general, but the performances were very good and it's a curious thing at the very least. You wouldn't see a lot of networks tackling a show like that I don't think, HBO has kind of done it twice between it and watchmen. I'm not really sure getting canceled makes a difference though, it adapted the book, and that story was done. It's probably best to leave it lie anyway. So I'd say it's worth checking out if you're interested, but the book is actually far better.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the show from start to finish. I'm excited for the possibilities of a season 2, but I'm also super excited for the possibilities this opens up for the MCU. It feels like the impact of this show feed directly into the next Ant-Man, Spiderman and Dr. Strange movies - and that's just for starters.

You can see the story threads for upcoming projects revealing themselves and I'm into everything they've shown so far.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
That was a great finale. Loki was overall fantastic. A few of the character development bits in episode 4 and 5 felt a bit like stalling for time to me but, overall, wonderful television.

Not getting into the time stuff, because that gives me a headache. But, I am wondering if Kang is being set up as being the next MCU big bad, or is he pretty much going to be relegated to the show, since there is going to be a season 2?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Has it? I recall reading that they were still in the middle of writing it when the finale aired.

Sorry - to clarify - I agree that Ant-Man will probably release before Loki Season 2

That was a great finale. Loki was overall fantastic. A few of the character development bits in episode 4 and 5 felt a bit like stalling for time to me but, overall, wonderful television.

Not getting into the time stuff, because that gives me a headache. But, I am wondering if Kang is being set up as being the next MCU big bad, or is he pretty much going to be relegated to the show, since there is going to be a season 2?

He's already confirmed to appear in Ant-Man 3 and the Young Avengers stuff they seem to be setting up involves Kang in a big way.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017

Probably both, honestly. I am expecting to see a few variants throughout the show's life, and we know Kang the Conqueror is in the new ant-man.

Honestly I'm expecting to see him a bit all over the place, if we are lucky enough.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Kang has been announced as the antagonist in Ant-Man 3 Qauntumania.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I've got a dumb question to ask.
Why did Sylvie went from ultra black hair as a child to blonde as an adult ?
I assumed she was dyeing it because she hated being called a Loki

Damn that was a hell of a finale.

I can't believe they actually exploded into the multiverse in a damn TV show lol.
Anything is possible from now on. Very exciting times to be a marvel fan :D
Also LOVED that they just went for it and brought in Kang, multiversal wars etc etc.

Really looking forward to whichever one comes out next and seeing what happens

Last edited:

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Sorry - to clarify - I agree that Ant-Man will probably release before Loki Season 2

He's already confirmed to appear in Ant-Man 3 and the Young Avengers stuff they seem to be setting up involves Kang in a big way.
Probably both, honestly. I am expecting to see a few variants throughout the show's life, and we know Kang the Conqueror is in the new ant-man.

Honestly I'm expecting to see him a bit all over the place, if we are lucky enough.
Kang has been announced as the antagonist in Ant-Man 3 Qauntumania.

Sweet.

I don't know much about Kang as a character/force as I don't read the comics. But the idea that this creepy goofball operates at a level of power/technology that renders the infinity stones (and thus Thanos) as meaningless was pretty terrifying to me.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Comic buffs - shouldn't the living tribunal have gotten involved with Kang's multiverse fuckery?
The simplest explanation is that there's no established hierarchy of cosmic entities in the MCU right now, and our guy Immortus/Kang here was effectively the most powerful authority we've ever seen on screen.

Another thing I'd consider is that the LT is by essence a multiversal entity, so I don't know what happens when an universe is cut off from every other universe or somehow makes them all to disappear. Hell, rekindling the universe might make some of these entities have a footing in the MCU they didn't have before.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see how they handle Kang. Will he be the looming threat that binds all of the Marvel properties or will his variants be treated like occasional villains of the week?

It's super weird to me that Kang the Conquer is the principle villain of one of the least popular MCU properties if he's also going to take on the Thanos role.

I think it's pretty obvious that the multiversal war is going to happen, but that could be several phases away and really wouldn't require many appearances from Kang prior to us reaching that point.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I'm curious to see how they handle Kang. Will he be the looming threat that binds all of the Marvel properties or will his variants be treated like occasional villains of the week?

It's super weird to me that Kang the Conquer is the principle villain of one of the least popular MCU properties if he's also going to take on the Thanos role.

I think it's pretty obvious that the multiversal war is going to happen, but that could be several phases away and really wouldn't require many appearances from Kang prior to us reaching that point.

Kang is probably making his first proper appearance in Ant-Man because he's gonna be hunting down his younger self, who will meet Cassie and they'll start forming the Young Avengers. There's also the ties to Fantastic Four and we will start seeing that set up soon, Kang is a good reason to involve them.

I'm sure we'll see additional variants of him throughout other properties though like you suggest. How cool would it be if Mr. Gyphon appears in Armor Wars, Victor Timely somewhere else, mentions of the Pharaoh Rama-Tut in Moon Knight or Eternals or something.

I think a new Avengers team will also assemble in response, but I have a feeling this is heading towards Doom saving everyone's ass and locking Kang and his variants out of the present day.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand

To me it makes sense to be the main thrust of this phase. I think by the end of it we have Dr Doom bringing all the timelines together after Kang's defeat, and then we get some MCU version of the DR Doom God storyline for the next phase

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I had to stop watching them after they spoiled episode 2 of Loki. They played it off like they had a theory, but in reality, all the reviewers got special early access to ep 2 and knew what was coming (female loki).
Dunno about that. They had been speculating about Lady Loki since the first trailer dropped in December.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the last episode and wanted to say I thought Jonathan Majors was fucking great and can't wait to see more of him

He got so much more to chew on as an actor than he did in Lovecraft Country

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I expect different versions of Kang will show up all over the place as either ally or enemy, but preventing the multiversal war between them will become the driving force of this particular Saga and it'll probably be Loki and Sylvie that lead the efforts after turning the TVA against the Kang that seemingly took it over from the last Kang.

I also expect that the Fantastic Four will be integral to this somehow - no doubt because, now that Tony Stark is gone, only someone like Reed Richards or Doom would be smart enough to create technology better than the stuff Kang will use.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019

This.
Also another complaint was that the season finale ended in an anti-climactic way. But not every story has the climax at the very end. Climax happened when they had enchanted Alioth. 6th episode was the reward/pay off and setup. Loki was fantastic.

Jonathan Majors was amazing. All the actors was great. Great casting. Forever amused how they made a hot silver fox out of Owen Wilson. B20's actress was a joy to watch. Judge Renslayer was a really great villain.
On a special note I love how Sophia Di Martino's acting towards Miss Minutes! That look of wishing for a happy normal life! However she had a hard time to trust MM which He Who Remains say it out loud to Sylvie! "Are you even capable of trusting?"

Come to think of it, this "Nicer Kang" was wretched to the core considering how he bends lokis free will so he can just have a gamble/show for his amusement and "retirement" plans.

Lore questions. Does "paving the way" means pruning even more of Sylvie variants until she is succesful? I especially mean those sylvies who couldn't escape?

Also will the threshold expand in the next cycle? It would be great if we can revisit He Who Remains for the next cycle.

Last edited: