• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Just finished watching the season finale.

I like Majors' performance and the way they're presenting Kang gives him a nice contrast compared to Thanos when it comes to "long term big bad." But this episode and the direction of the mythos definitely did not handle my underlying issues with stuff like time travel and/or multiversal stories. I'm usually pretty good with suspension of disbelief but some of what we're asked to just sit back and accept here pushes too far beyond my tolerance. The notion of "infinity" is, conceptually, something I don't think they've handled well.

I'm sure the MCU will still contain a lot of entertaining movies and shows but I'm afraid that if they continue to lean further into the stuff they're establishing here in Loki then my interest is gonna diminish really quickly.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But to have the final episode be an infodump from a brand new character, I dont see how that can be enjoyable to people who have no idea who he is.

I don't know who he is outside of cultural osmosis from y'all, still enjoyed the hell out of the episode

Though I guess it did help that I watched Lovecraft Country not that long ago lol

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
The villan was such a miscast. I thought the acting was beyond cringe and off-putting. Not really excited about the continuation honestly.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The villan was such a miscast. I thought the acting was beyond cringe and off-putting. Not really excited about the continuation honestly.

Huh? That's how Immortus is supposed to be for the most part.

Kang is a different version of the character with different mannerisms, tone, traits, etc.

Using Immortus to judge Kang is a mistake, even if they are played by the same actor.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
What exactly IS Kang?

Where do his powers come from? Or is he just using crazy advanced tech?

How old is he? Where did he originate?

Basically the Gengis Khan, Hitler or Napoleon of time.. he conquers working back through time from the 31st century. As far as powers hes bascially Iron man (ie no physical powers) from a 1000 years in the future with knowledge of all events. He usually get stopped by the modern era as they have heroes then. There are multiple versions of him all with different names and motivations due to choices that version made, some good some evil.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
This is what I was wondering, lots of us knew this was hinting at Kang. But to have the final episode be an infodump from a brand new character, I dont see how that can be enjoyable to people who have no idea who he is.

Like I expected a shot of Kang mid credits after they defeated another variant Loki, not a whole episode hearing his back story.
I never heard of him before the rumors for this show. I am all in and excited as hell.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I saw someone compare Kang, unfavorably, to Moriarty from Sherlock, and I got the same vibe. Trying to be sort of wacky and insane, but it didn't work as well. However, that was just at the beginning. There were a few scenes where they were building up to the exposition and just not giving it for some reason. But after he really started going and explaining the stakes of the decision Loki and Sylvie were faced with, up until the end of the episode, it was working for me. And I'm excited to see how he plays other Variants of himself.

Basically, with that minor note about the episode sort of treading water before the exposition, and HWR being middling there, the show was otherwise fantastic. Best of the D+ shows, and best finale by far. Loved everything I saw and I'm excited to watch it again. And really excited to see what this means for the future of the MCU!

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is what I was wondering, lots of us knew this was hinting at Kang. But to have the final episode be an infodump from a brand new character, I dont see how that can be enjoyable to people who have no idea who he is.

Like I expected a shot of Kang mid credits after they defeated another variant Loki, not a whole episode hearing his back story.
I have no idea who Kang is outside of hearing the name once or twice and I loved the finale. Fun little infodump that has me curious about the future.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
If you vaguely know comic characters, Kang is (generally) Nathaniel Richards. He generally comes in two versions: Kang the Conqueror (Multiversal time warlord) and Immortus (Version of Kang trying to prevent the conquest) and he comes from the 31st century so he has advanced tech and control of time.

He's generally very old but he time travels so it's kind of irrelevant.
And Pharaoh Rama-Tut

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked they just introduced Kang. I thought for sure it was going to be another Loki, loyal to Kang, but we don't see him.

I'm glad they just went with it. Unconventional, but huge implications for Phase 4.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

I have no clue who Kang is, but I thought it was great. I've admitted though that Majors' performance is absolutely what made it. If that actor had even been acceptable rather than amazingly entertaining, it wouldn't have worked. It definitely was Matrix-y, but even longer.

Oct 25, 2017
Just needs the headgear
WX0f6fC.png

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Also love that the moment he lost his ability to see the future was the moment Sylvie reset bombed the multiverse. Gotta love nonlinearity! And people said they forgot about that cliffhanger from episode 2

Last edited:

Kreizler

Oct 28, 2017
PVD
So this has nothing to do with the show, but my partner is CONVINCED that Owen Wilson didn't have a wig for this an I am losing my mind about it. LOVED Majors as "He Who Remains" (from the credits).

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
They're probably going to keep the blue skin and helmet for when Kang shows up right? Cause I sure hope so.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
dunno if this was posted, but the writer from Ant-Man 3 tweeted this...

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017

Basically the Gengis Khan, Hitler or Napoleon of time.. he conquers working back through time from the 31st century. As far as powers hes bascially Iron man (ie no physical powers) from a 1000 years in the future with knowledge of all events. He usually get stopped by the modern era as they have heroes then. There are multiple versions of him all with different names and motivations due to choices that version made, some good some evil.

Why are there not heroes in other eras

MuteMap

Apr 22, 2021
I thought Majors was incredibly annoying, doing the same exact overacting I blamed on direction and script from Lovecraft Country but I guess it's just him. Yeesh.

Was very underwhelmed by this episode, the pacing was glacial and the branching timelines threaten to be confusing and cumbersome. Endgame took extra precautions to ensure the audience that all the fuckery had straightforward solutions, but now it's a complete mess.

The kicker was no post credits scene beyond a "season 2" announcement. Bleh.

Ok, this is the first time I've seen someone say Endgame had straight forward solutions when the movie's time travel rules completely contradicted itself.

The final episode of Loki is just repeating the explanation given in the first episode. Branching timelines lead to multiversal wars, the TVA stops that, if you kill the leader of the TVA, the multiverse war starts back up again.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
They're probably going to keep the blue skin and helmet for when Kang shows up right? Cause I sure hope so.

As a battle helmet that he'll remove for every big dialogue scene like every other character in the MCU lol

She couldn't touch him unless he allowed her to. He would blink away.

He visibly puts the Tempad on the table after the threshold passes. He's genuinely excited about not knowing what she'll do.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Well that was a great final episode. I honestly thought we were going to see God King Loki but I am glad we got Kang. That was a shock. Also Jonathan Majors did a really good job with that role. I am guessing his Variants will be much more dangerous? You can see he was sort of holding back how crazy he could get. Although that could be due to his old age.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
So when it comes to Sylvie and loki seeing each other again... do y'all think it's right away or is she stuck there for a long while.

I kinda feel they won't meet again until the end of season 2 and she may be a very different person by then.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
She couldn't touch him unless he allowed her to. He would blink away.
I mean...by the time she stabbed him, that no longer held true anymore. And as previously established, Sylvie can enchant humans to delve into the memories of their past. I hadn't thought of it at the time but it's absolutely right that she could have just seen for herself if he was telling the truth or not.

The main takeaway I get from this heading into season two is that He Who made it clear that it needed to be those two specific versions of Loki that would be capable of taking over his work. In this finale we ultimately didn't get to see much of why that would be, but it'll definitely become a focal point for how things shake out at the end of time further down the road.

...God that still sounds stupid as fuck to say.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Why are there not heroes in other eras
I believe its the density of them really. Most heroes in Marvel canon are from the 1940s onward, basically the history of the company. There of course was Thor, Odin, Hercules, Eternals etc before that. But there was an explosion of heroes and villians in the 20th century, and they defeat him a lot.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
So when it comes to Sylvie and loki seeing each other again... do y'all think it's right away or is she stuck there for a long while.

I kinda feel they won't meet again until the end of season 2 and she may be a very different person by then.

What is she even going to be doing in that time? The ending implies that Loki was erased from *every* known timeline as he's a stranger to the TVA.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I absolutely adored that finale. It was wonderful. Loki might be my favorite non-animated ongoing show in general now.

I do wonder if there's a reason for not simply pruning universes that result in an Evil Kang? Maybe it'd be too complicated but presumably you could at least open things up after he dies, or just have the TVA prune him on the standard timeline (though I guess that would prevent him from making the TVA in the first place?).

Like, that seems like a less morally dubious solution. While it's far sighted, I do like that Sylvie didn't really destroy the world since 'presumably' the next big arc will be them stopping Kang once and for all, so her killing him will overall be a net positive. Eventually.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...by the time she stabbed him, that no longer held true anymore. And as previously established, Sylvie can enchant humans to delve into the memories of their past. I hadn't thought of it at the time but it's absolutely right that she could have just seen for herself if he was telling the truth or not.

The main takeaway I get from this heading into season two is that He Who made it clear that it needed to be those two specific versions of Loki that would be capable of taking over his work. In this finale we ultimately didn't get to see much of why that would be, but it'll definitely become a focal point for how things shake out at the end of time further down the road.

...God that still sounds stupid as fuck to say.
It's simple. She didn't care.

Her life was ruined by him, so she wanted to kill him then and there. It didn't matter whether he was telling the truth or not.