• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Same, except I think an alt-Kang came in and retrofitted the entire TVA because it doesn't really make sense since there's only supposed to be 1 TVA.
Yeah, that's what I meant, the former TVA doesn't exist anymore (and never existed) to anyone but Loki and now we have the TCA (Time Conqueror Authority). So in their quest to give the timelines "free will" they just transferred control to another Kang.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the people complaining that Kang is someone from "the comics" (ironic because everything here is) complained when Sauron was very bascially explained in Lord of the rings movies? Wait what is this some guy from "the books"? This is the start of Kang's story. You'll learn about him from now on....

I'll admit it's been a long time since I watched any of the lord of the rings films, but I don't recall any of them ending with a massive exposition dump taking up the entire last act of the of the film because they didn't show why we would care about the series villain beforehand.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
I'll admit it's been a long time since I watched any of the lord of the rings films, but I don't recall any of them ending with a massive exposition dump taking up the entire last act of the of the film because they didn't show why we would care about the series villain beforehand.
We are only told who Sauron is through exposition dumps though. He has zero weight on the Hobbits lives beyond being a guy they were told about.

The Big Short

Oct 29, 2017
I am your average mcu watcher, I have no knowledge of the comics and don't keep up on theories and rumors or what have you. I was really happy to see Jonathan Majors and thought he crushed it, and was excited when I realized he will be in season 2. Coming here and reading he's most likely the new Thanos? Beyond hyped. Nothing about the new phase has made me all that excited, but if he's the centerpiece I'm all in!

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Three times. And if you're wrong about that you're probably wrong about everything else.

Oh yeah, there's that absolute quality level of discourse there to remind us why all forms of social media in the modern era are shit.

YOU MADE A MINOR MISTAKE THAT DOESN'T ACTUALLY AFFECT THE POINT BEING MADE AND THEREFORE EVERYTHING YOU'VE SAID ABOUT ANYTHING EVER IS WRONG. GOOD NIGHT

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
That's because there was only one Thanos. There's a practically unlimited number of Kangs that can show up with a practically unlimited variety of names, personalities and resources. Plus these versions of Kang can actually die, something Thanos obviously never could do.
And that was my point. Multiple instances of the same guy. He's going to be in everything. One Thanos influenced every aspect of phase 3. Kang will be everywhere.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished and that was a great series. I think the ending episode could have fallen flat if they didn't nail the casting of He Who Remains. Jonathan Majors absolutely killed it.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I like the TV show format for MCU content. Each feels like a self-contained comic run. I wonder when we'll see the first MCU TV crossover event.

Last edited:

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
User Warned: Hostility
Oh yeah, there's that absolute quality level of discourse there to remind us why all forms of social media in the modern era are shit.

YOU MADE A MINOR MISTAKE THAT DOESN'T ACTUALLY AFFECT THE POINT BEING MADE AND THEREFORE EVERYTHING YOU'VE SAID ABOUT ANYTHING EVER IS WRONG. GOOD NIGHT

Oh, touched a nerve. I'll refrain from pointing out the spelling error.

Anyway, does anyone else wonder if those scenes that were in the trailer but not in the show were meant to be red herrings all along, or that at some point they really were gonna show what Loki winning in New York was gonna look like, even as just a fantasy?

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
This shit rocked my world. Kang gang for enemies in each of the upcoming movies is going to be so great for building out that "character", and reading in here that Kang is a descendant of Reed Richards makes the Fantastic 4 movie as the closer for this phase make so much sense.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Feige strategy of not announcing whether a MCU D+ tv series get 2nd season or not paid off.

Red

Oct 26, 2017

Anyway, does anyone else wonder if those scenes that were in the trailer but not in the show were meant to be red herrings all along, or that at some point they really were gonna show what Loki winning in New York was gonna look like, even as just a fantasy?
Could've been a misdirect or a cut scene, similar to Hulk's appearance in Infinity War trailers.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

My guess is that they shot those scenes, and that it was Miss Minutes showing Loki a visual example of her promise to give him a timeline where he won, but they they cut it out because of pacing or something.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the people complaining that Kang is someone from "the comics" (ironic because everything here is) complained when Sauron was very bascially explained in Lord of the rings movies? Wait what is this some guy from "the books"? This is the start of Kang's story. You'll learn about him from now on....
wtf-icegif-5.gif

Sauron is presented in the very 1st scene of the movies. He is the origin for everything that happens afterwards.

Kang is reveal for a mystery that spanned a whole season. If people don't know who Kang is from the comics how is this answer to that mistery more exciting than the time keepers just being real? Try to look at this from a series only viewer perspective. It's pretty much a random dude that shows up at the last ep and explains a bunch of stuff about himself and multiverses.

This ain't it.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that was my point. Multiple instances of the same guy. He's going to be in everything. One Thanos influenced every aspect of phase 3. Kang will be everywhere.

The beauty is that he won't be the same guy. Look at how different all the Lokis were. Some were young, some were old, some were sneaky, some were straightforward, some used magic, others barely knew any, one was even a crocodile.

Now apply that to Kang and, well, the possibilities are endless. He isn't necessarily always going to be the bad guy, either. There could be universes where he's totally harmless or an ally.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. For the most part, He Who Remains has seen every single outcome, what we see here is the one outcome he was hoping for - a true successor. He knew that Loki and Sylvie were going to make into his citadel, however, he didn't know which one would take his spot because they waited until after the point of no return during the branching of the multiverse (as seen in episode 2 where Sylvie bombs the sacred timeline) to make a decision.
I'm having such a hard time getting my head around it all. How does the bombing of the nexus events make it so he couldn't see beyond what they would do at the end of time? Sorry for asking about all this my head is :poof: [edit] Oh wait, I think I get it. So if they had made a choice to kill or not kill Kang before bombing the nexus events he would have been able to see that.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I'm having such a hard time getting my head around it all. How does the bombing of the nexus events make it so he couldn't see beyond what they would do at the end of time? Sorry for asking about all this my head is :poof:
There is nothing to indicate this is the case. That's just a theory posed by spad3 with no supporting evidence. Episode 3 of the show explains the TVA dealt with Sylvie's bombs with little fanfare. Her plan was to distract them enough that she'd be able to infiltrate the complex and reach the timekeepers' chambers (which she did, but the plan went sideways at the end due to Loki).

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having such a hard time getting my head around it all. How does the bombing of the nexus events make it so he couldn't see beyond what they would do at the end of time? Sorry for asking about all this my head is :poof:

Sylvie's bombings were just things she did to distract the TVA, sending all their agents on missions so that she could make it to the elevator and get to the timekeepers.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
wtf-icegif-5.gif

Sauron is presented in the very 1st scene of the movies. He is the origin for everything that happens afterwards.

Kang is reveal for a mystery that spanned a whole season. If people don't know who Kang is from the comics how is this answer to that mistery more exciting than the time keepers just being real? Try to look at this from a series only viewer perspective. It's pretty much a random dude that shows up at the last ep and explains a bunch of stuff about himself and multiverses.

This ain't it.
Plenty of series only viewers enjoyed this reveal. But I agree, it's not like Sauron in LotR at all. This is a Wizard of Oz nod in almost every way.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
The beauty is that he won't be the same guy. Look at how different all the Lokis were. Some were young, some were old, some were sneaky, some were straightforward, some used magic, others barely knew any, one was even a crocodile.

Now apply that to Kang and, well, the possibilities are endless. He isn't necessarily always going to be the bad guy, either. There could be universes where he's totally harmless or an ally.
True, although I'm hesitant to believe the general moviegoer won't get confused by it all. I'm guessing Feige keeps him the same actor all the way through.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

This has me super excited for phase 4. It's always gonna be shit is that person Kang?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
As a setup for the future MCU movies and series it was very good. As a season finale it was quite mediocre in terms of pace and climax. Episode 5 was more of a finale than this was.

But I liked the episode.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fun watch but two things

- Marvel spoiling this show with their movie titles really sucks. It really takes the air out of the finale when they have been hyping a multiverse for months now
- Marvel tends to average out their main characters into the same person. That … wasnt Loki, at all, he was basically Tony Stark or Ant Man running around from place to place with his mouth open being overwhelmed by everything. We were sold that this is the Loki show but right away all they do is tell us Loki sucks and he fails and they beat him down till he becomes a very average (likable) dude with not much else to him.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how people would have reacted to the Wizard of Oz reveal if that came out today as a TV show
To be fair… there are plenty of people who likely ain't seen or read WoZ. It's a million years old. But I agree, the parallels were clear from the halfway point and only drew closer as the series went on.

Majors' characterization is such a good bow on the man-behind-the-curtain parallel that I figured more people would have caught on by the end. But I guess not.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who barely knew Thanos and never even knew who Black Panther was....I agree with you.

Hell, I constantly got Thanos and Darkseid mixed up before the MCU started.

Yes, I barely read any comics and the ones I did were just a couple.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
wtf-icegif-5.gif

This ain't it.
That "random dude" is going to the next Thanos.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fun watch but two things

- Marvel spoiling this show with their movie titles really sucks. It really takes the air out of the finale when they have been hyping a multiverse for months now
- Marvel tends to average out their main characters into the same person. That … wasnt Loki, at all, he was basically Tony Stark or Ant Man running around from place to place with his mouth open being overwhelmed by everything. We were sold that this is the Loki show but right away all they do is tell us Loki sucks and he fails and they beat him down till he becomes a very average (likable) dude with not much else to him.

In your opinion, what are the traits of Loki that were missing?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so, I get that killing He Who Remains opens up branches for the multiverse, but what exactly makes it happen? By him not existing is that enough for other timelines to emerge? Isn't it that the TVA has been turned upside down and no longer prunes the reason timelines will grow and appear now?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Time to add Sylvie next to Starlord in the "holy shit, you ruined everything for everyone" list.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Oh no the Loki Alive truthers are back.

Okay hi Kang Gang. Is this dude always a descendant of Reed Richards or is that only certain versions? He mentions being a scientist in the 31st century, which seems a tad conspicuous to me… kind of a big deal if that's the case

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so, I get that killing He Who Remains opens up branches for the multiverse, but what exactly makes it happen? By him not existing is that enough for other timelines to emerge? Isn't it that the TVA has been turned upside down and no longer prunes the reason timelines will grow and appear now?
Without a critical-path TVA around to prune branches, alternative TVAs can rise up with different goals.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
He Who Remains was the one who brought the multiverse together into a single timeline and kept it together. The TVA is/was meant to prune any branches that managed to wiggle their way free. When HWR died, the string unravlved itself. Also, an alternate Kang filled the void and decided to keep the timelines branching... At least from what Mobius said

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
wtf-icegif-5.gif

This ain't it.
Im saying the Hobbits didnt give a fuck about him and could have just lived out their lives... Gandalf, Aragron and Elrond all told them why he was bad. This is what He Who Remains did for Kang.

But yes as Heynongman! pointed out Wizard of Oz would have been a better example.
But if you're going to get annoyed that this references comic books and you'll have to continue watching to learn about it, why are you even here? This is the bread and butter of what we are watching. Comics based movies and tv shows that are all tied together and lead into each other. Our first reveal of Thanos paid off what 7-8 years later?? Come back once its all done and complain... This exposition complaining all comes across as salt at being wrong about the outcome.

Last edited:

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That "random dude" is going to the next Thanos.

Sure, because you know who Kang is and what he is capable of. I'm saying this because I was watching with 2 MCU only viewers, and they were left kind of underwhelmed by that. They didn't leave the episode going "WOW CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM FIGHT THE AVENGERS", for all they know he can only be part of season 2 of Loki.

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair… there are plenty of people who likely ain't seen or read WoZ. It's a million years old. But I agree, the parallels were clear from the halfway point and only drew closer as the series went on.

Majors' characterization is such a good bow on the man-behind-the-curtain parallel that I figured more people would have caught on by the end. But I guess not.

It's wild because the Time-Keepers and the TVA were established pretty much right from the start, and as this episode shows, Kang IS the TVA and the Time-Keepers. Their goals are his goals. His actions have driven the opposing side to Loki/Slyvie. Just because he physically wasn't present didn't mean he wasn't directly involved in the narrative?

"The fuck??? So it's just some guy who floated there in a balloon that was conveniently never mentioned before? LOL Lazy writing."

This would 100% be the case lmao