• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I get the impression Kang is basically Batman, but with time travel. He'll be prepared for any scenario. Not sure how they make that interesting.

So you're saying every single Loki that was killed by Thanos...wasn't?

the ones who's scene played out as described, I'd strongly suspect that yes.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda interesting that a human from the 31th century is gonna be the main villain for next phases. He must be pretty damn powerfull.

Going by what the Kang we met could do, he basically mass produced his own Infinity Gem with the TemPad and that weapon that can forcibly send anyone to any point in time and space. Dude would lose in a straight fight against the weakest Avengers, but the technology and resources he'd have access to would make him far more dangerous than even Thanos.

That and if any other Kang gets the bright idea of weaponising Alioth like the Kang we met did, entire universes would disappear instantly.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for Classic Loki. Who's a variant. That was rather an important plot point...

everyone is a variant.

thousands of years after IW, Classic Loki got pruned.

Same thing will happen to MCU Loki, who is currently floating in space as debri, or living in isolation on a deserted planet

one of the takeaways you should have gotten from Kang's speech and the from the show at large, is that the same events keep taking place over and over again. Which is why Kang could predict that the multiverse war will happen again, and that variants of himself will cause it.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
everyone is a variant.

Same thing will happen to MCU Loki, who is currently floating in space as debri, or living in isolation on a deserted planet

one of the takeaways you should have gotten from Kang's speech and the from the show at large, is that the same events keep taking place over and over again. Which is why Kang could predict that the multiverse war will happen again, and that variants of himself will cause it.
One of the takeaways you should have gotten is that MCU Loki is dead

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I felt like in episode 5 they tried to tell that Loki is about magic and not daggers. And then we switch over to episode 6 where they are using swords.

I like the idea of Kang and them showing a "mild" version of him first. I didnt care for the execution though, Im not a big fan of these kind of exposition dumps where one character tells everything. More showing, less telling.
And no, I dont know how to do it instead, Im just expressing how I feel about the episode.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kang is dead.

Long live Kang the Conquerer!

You dropped this, Kang

👑

I think they are going to have a lot of fun with this new villain given they have endless versions of him.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Oh god that was so shit. Kang was so bad. I hope he's relegated to Ant Man/Loki only, or at least when he comes back has a totally different personality.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna say Loki Season 1 is about tied with WandaVision for me. It doesn't reach the high-highs of WV, but I think Loki is more cohesive and impactful.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I remember Kang.

So here I was trying to to see how these shows tie into Dr. Strange and The Multiverse of Madness....and I see Ant Man 3 come out the blue. I totally didnt hear about this before this thread.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
you are, and it's shocking you're struggling with this as much as you are.

He's a variant of MCU loki who only diverged in the last 5 years or so of his life. Avengers 1 happens in 2011. Infinity War is 2016.

Ok...we'll take it very slowly. MCU Loki was *a thousand years old* by the time Avengers 1 happens. He's already as skilled at sorcery as he's ever going to be. Both the Avengers movies AND the Loki TV series make it clear that he learned the sorcery he knows from his mother who dies during Thor 2. Loki learns absolutely no new magic during the years Variant Loki missed out on- he spends it either in a prison cell (Thor 2), impersonating Odin while letting the 9 realms go to hell (Between Thor 2 and 3) or hanging out with the Grandmaster currying favor (Thor 3).

There are no "events to beef up his magic" that occur on screen during this period. Even if your argument is "well, that happened offscreen" you would need to believe that he got drastically better at sorcery in the last 5 years of his life with no one to teach him than he did in the previous 1000 years of his life when his teacher (his mother) was alive and well. This is laughably implausible.

Classic Loki spent his life in total isolation after the Thanos incident, and wouldn't have been able to learn anything new either- only practice what he ALREADY learned. He says straight out that the illusion he cast was extremely detailed, which was only possible because HIS sorcery wasn't stunted because he never relied on daggers- which MCU Loki did all the time. The implication being that Classic Loki was a better sorcerer and capable of fooling Thanos. MCU Loki was not. Sylvie is even farther behind both (with the one exception of enchantment) because she never learned magic from her mother.

no, everyone is a variant. And events in time repeat themselves over and over. I'm not struggling at all. It's you failing to understand how loop theory and multiverse theory have converged to form the MCUs time theory, even though Kang's final lecture paints a vivid picture.

classic Loki's detailed illusion was of himself dying while attempting to kill Thanos. It's a variation of the same illusion he pulled on Thor in Dark World- and illusion that the show's Loki would have done if he had not veered off of the path. I'm not sure why you think he would have had to get "drastically better at sorcery" to fake his death , when he showed aptitude to fake his death immediately after the events of Avengers 2012.

the skill he would need to cast the illusion we saw Classic Loki use in the show, he acquired after thousands of years in isolation.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
everyone is a variant.

Loki died. There's no ambiguity over that. The Variant Loki we followed in the show is basically Marvel's way of getting around that and they're not going to turn around and say the Loki that seemingly died in Infinity War is still alive.

I don't doubt that the Variant Loki will return to the MCU proper, though. The mainline Loki said the sun would shine on them again one day and I think we'd all die of glee if Loki showed up in the future leading an entire army of Variant Lokis to save Thor from some terrible enemy.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ha! I was pretty close with my theory! Kang Gang wins!

Watched the episode again, man I hope Majors is around for a long time. He makes the exposition dump such a delight to watch.

We never found out who Renslayers 'other' favourite agent was did we? Had thought for a moment we might come across a couple of other Mobius variants that work for her but maybe not.

Now to wait for What If?

Damn you really nailed it

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god that was so shit. Kang was so bad. I hope he's relegated to Ant Man/Loki only, or at least when he comes back has a totally different personality.

It's super clear that whatever Kang shows up next is going to have a very different personality (given that most of the speech is emphasizing how much worse they are)

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty apparent he's this phase's Thanos and will be in almost everything.

So my long-term guess is Doctor Doom is the main villain in phase 5. Gives them time to introduce F4.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
When Kang talked about meeting alternate versions of himself, I immediately went "oh, so Reed Richards is gonna be Black too, cool."

It's not a done deal, but considering they're going to be operating in the same space - super-smart scientist guy who discovers and then masters the multiverse - it feels like a shitty move to have some white guy come up and be the smarter, nobler, more successful, "good" version of Kang. Not that Disney/Marvel hasn't made shittier moves, but their Phase 4 diversity push would be really undermined by something like that.

Kang isn't Reed Richards, Kang is a very, very, very distant descendent of Reed. He doesn't necessarily have to be black or white, but whoever they choose they need to make sure they get his character right. He needs to be a bit pompous, a bit of an asshole but ultimately is an asshole because he's so obscenely smart and is doing everything he's doing for the good of everyone.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Loki died. There's no ambiguity over that. The Variant Loki we followed in the show is basically Marvel's way of getting around that and they're not going to turn around and say the Loki that seemingly died in Infinity War is still alive.

I don't doubt that the Variant Loki will return to the MCU proper, though. The mainline Loki said the sun would shine on them again one day and I think we'd all die of glee if Loki showed up in the future leading an entire army of Variant Lokis to save Thor from some terrible enemy.

that's your takeaway. Classic Loki's story casts doubt on that. Loki dying to Thanos and Loki appearing to die to Thanos, but actually living in isolation on a deserted planet has the exact same impact on the timelien

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Avengers Forever is a weird ass story, but given that it is a story about grabbing different avengers from different points in continuity, it works very well as a standalone story.
Bonus points: it also has the TVA, time keepers, He Who Remains...
Nice, got to put my Marvel Unlimited subscription to use, so I might read that.

I don't understand how you could watch a show where there are multiple versions of the same character who act completely differently

Yeah that scene underground where all loki's start fighting really proves your point there.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Wanda wasn't effecting the multiverse with her new abilities?

She probably will. If the theories are right and she heard her sons the moment the multiverse sprang into life at the end of this season of Loki, you can pretty much guarantee Wanda is going to tear her way through universes to find them and cause immense damage to the multiverse in the process.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now as someone who doesn't care for "ITS THAT GUY FROM THE COMICS", that struck me as really mediocre.

Ending the last episode of a season in a big exposition dump because they didn't bother to actually introduce the main villain and had to spend the last episode attempting to tell us why we should care about him is unideal at the best of times.

It doesn't help either that apparently any development that Sylvie had as a character was transient and she hadn't learned anything. Oh well. At least it didn't have a single line that completely blew the episode like wandavision did, I suppose. Basically nothing resolved that the series had been building up to 🤷‍♂️

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty apparent he's this phase's Thanos and will be in almost everything.

So my long-term guess is Doctor Doom is the main villain in phase 5. Gives them time to introduce F4.

"Almost everything". Thanos showed up two or three times in the near twenty movies leading up to infinity war and only the GOTG appearance could have been called anything more than a cameo, and even then he sat on his chair being threatening and that was essentially it.

The infinity stones were the driving force for most of phases 1-3, not Thanos.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
So the way I interpreted the last scene with the TVA and the changing statue is now a new version of Kang has taken control of the TVA and instead of their mission being about preserving the sacred timeline, it's now about conquering any new timelines. Did anyone else interpret it as that?

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Now as someone who doesn't care for "ITS THAT GUY FROM THE COMICS", that struck me as really mediocre.

Ending the last episode of a season in a big exposition dump because they didn't bother to actually introduce the main villain and had to spend the last episode attempting to tell us why we should care about him is unideal at the best of times.

My thoughts exactly.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was obvious Nathaniel acted the way he did because he's like a trillion years old and has gone insane but I guess it wasn't.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Almost everything". Thanos showed up two or three times in the twenty movies leading up to infinity war and only the GOTG appearance could have been called anything more than a cameo

That's because there was only one Thanos. There's a practically unlimited number of Kangs that can show up with a practically unlimited variety of names, personalities and resources. Plus these versions of Kang can actually die, something Thanos obviously never could do.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
So the way I interpreted the last scene with the TVA and the changing statue is now a new version of Kang has taken control of the TVA and instead of their mission being about preserving the sacred timeline, it's now about conquering any new timelines. Did anyone else interpret it as that?
Same, except I think an alt-Kang came in and retrofitted the entire TVA because it doesn't really make sense since there's only supposed to be 1 TVA.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Thanks for explaining this. So is the multiverse now open because of Sylvie's decision? And variant Loki will try and do what Kang did and preserve the sacred timeline?

Yes and no. For the most part, He Who Remains has seen every single outcome, what we see here is the one outcome he was hoping for - a true successor. He knew that Loki and Sylvie were going to make into his citadel, however, he didn't know which one would take his spot because they waited until after the point of no return during the branching of the multiverse (as seen in episode 2 where Sylvie bombs the sacred timeline) to make a decision.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
I wonder if the people complaining that Kang is someone from "the comics" (ironic because everything here is) complained when Sauron was very bascially explained in Lord of the rings movies? Wait what is this some guy from "the books"? This is the start of Kang's story. You'll learn about him from now on....

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
he appeared to be dead, but it was an elaborate illusion
009b507a-5659-48c3-95ca-93de32693079_text.gif

I'm done, it ain't my fault you haven't watched episode 1

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
everyone is a variant.

you're a variant