• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

LMAO

Can it be assumed that Scarlett Johansson, Chris Evans and RDJ are back on board for this Multiverse War when it happens? I am aware that they can just as easily be recast, but fans won't be satisfied if varients using the original actors aren't also present.

I think it's all but confirmed, yeah. The audience understands now what a "variant" is, and that they could either look and act exactly like a character we recognize, or they could be a god damn alligator version, or anything in between!

Amazingly, Marvel even succeeded in making us care about this variant Loki... maybe even more than the original Loki that was killed by Thanos? I'm assuming Strange can show anyone a recap video of their greatest hits, like Loki got to watch in the TVA prison, and then badabing they're all caught up and basically the same character!

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If it helps you, there is a reason this Kang in particular is crazy because of how long he had to live alone (also, that's kind of Immortus personality in the comics), it's probable that when an actual Kang, The Conqueror appears, he will be all busisness.

I'm not as down on it now then.

6645b02f6a3aca725c7e2d57466d8036.gif

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I'm honestly having more and more issues with imagining how MoM will be "a horror movie" at this point lol.
maybe something like the mind horror from season 2 of Penny Dreadful. Dimension horror where reality is always changing is pretty terrifying.
Yea if I'm Slyvie, I can confidently say I wouldn't be in the headspace to let Kang live
Yeah it's like the ending of Cabin in the Woods. You did the wrong thing but most would be pushed to do it in that situation.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I didn't know that Michael Waldron was one of the writers for Dr. Strange MoM.
At this point he's the sole writer of the version that is being made. When Raimi came on board, Waldron worked with him to rewrite the script from scratch using only the previous scripts as a base foundation. Waldron is also working with Feige on his Star Wars project.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
So like, does the circular visual image represent all universes or just their respective one.

Trying to understand if it depicts one timeline or one universe or all universes in seamless harmony- guessing the latter. Which means his role has been to prune any variation that may reach out to other universes? Is his goal to stunt that sorta technological development? Or did he have the monster thing consume all other timelines and wishes to prevent the birth of new ones?

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Coolest thing ever is the "What If" show isn't just a show...it's a consequence of this ending.

So if Kang is the next big bad in the MCU, how are they going to handle the idea of there being an infinite number of variants of him? Will one evil variant win out and crown himself the big baddie, or will future movies/shows deal with different Kang variants? I feel Kang isn't at threatening if there are countless versions of him running around.
One possibility is there can be a ton of fake-outs. Various Kangs can show up, each one potentially framed as the one who will go the distance and become the last man standing. The biggest bad. Or the true threat to the next Avengers. But anything can happen to them including death.

Nothing stops the all-singing, all-dancing Kang Express.

And don't forget... Doom is coming. He has a history with Kang, and often holds him in contempt for putting himself on Doom's level.

I am imagining a Burly Brawl scenario with Doom getting mobbed by a hundred different Kangs.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
HOLY SHIT! what an episode!

to think the pulled off a Kang Varient as the He Who Remains was quite the surprise and I'm sure it took an insane amount of effort to keep it under wraps. I knew we would get him on the show but I just assumed he would be played by another Varient who looked like Richard E Grant. Loki is going headfirst in to Kang shit so yeah wouldn't be surprised if casting announcements for Quantumania just straight up confirms Loki's appearance too.

FINALLY! THE MULTIVERSE IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS

RELEASE THE NO WAY HOME TRAILER!

this fucking scene...... god! it got me good and I was wearing headphones in a dark room!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You are factually, 100% wrong. The show even told us this. My god.

I mean, where?

In my timeline, everything proceeded correctly, my entire life, until Thanos attacked our ship.

So, you didn't try to stab him?

( Chuckles ) Certainly not. Take no offense, my friends, but blades are worthless in the face of a Loki sorcery. They stunt our magical potential.

But they look awesome.

Oh, yes. Especially when they clatter to the ground just before your neck is snapped. I cast a projection of myself so real, even the Mad Titan believed it. Then hid as inanimate debris. After I faked my death, I simply drifted in space. Away from Thor, away from everything. Thought about the universe and my place in it, and it occurred to me that everywhere I went, only pain followed. So I removed myself from the equation, landed on a remote planet and stayed there in isolation, in solitude for a long, long time.

How did the TVA find you?

I got lonely. ( Chuckles ) To tell you the truth, I missed my brother, and I wondered if he missed me, if anybody else did. But as soon as I took my first steps to getting off the planet, the TVA arrived. Because we, my friends, have but one part to play, the God of Outcasts.

I assume you're reading into the following line: "Take no offense, my friends, but blades are worthless in the face of a Loki sorcery. They stunt our magical potential."

There's no reason to assume he DIDN'T use daggers as a general rule - he even agrees that they look awesome, wryly - we just have confirmation that he didn't use daggers to try and kill Thanos. Whether his statement about "stunting magical potential" is something he was aware of BEFORE Thanos killed him, and thus the motivation for not using them, or can say now, with the benefit of time and having met countless other Lokis, is pure speculation.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Coolest thing ever is the "What If" show isn't just a show...it's a consequence of this ending.
I would bet good money Jonathon Majors has a voice role somewhere...

God is it August yet
I mean I believe he's arguing that mainline Loki DIDN'T die when Thanos choked him and ALSO cast an illusion and hid on a planet for years. That's just demonstrably not true.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
One possibility is there can be a ton of fake-outs. Various Kangs can show up, each one potentially framed as the one who will go the distance and become the last man standing. The biggest bad. Or the true threat to the next Avengers. But anything can happen to them including death.

Nothing stops the all-singing, all-dancing Kang Express.
So that Rick and Morty episode from a few weeks ago?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
So if Kang is the next big bad in the MCU, how are they going to handle the idea of there being an infinite number of variants of him? Will one evil variant win out and crown himself the big baddie, or will future movies/shows deal with different Kang variants? I feel Kang isn't at threatening if there are countless versions of him running around.

There will definitely be a lot of different versions of Kang, but the one Ravonna is with is likely to be the primary threat.

So that Rick and Morty episode from a few weeks ago?

This is all cribbing from storylines in the comics written 20 or 30 years ago. Where do you think Rick and Morty got the idea?

RSena7

Oct 26, 2017
Loki was a fun series. It was my favorite original Disney+ series, and better than most Marvel movies. I thought the visuals, acting, music, and mysterious storytelling was really fun. I didn't hate any of the exposition in the finale because exposition is necessary for comic-book films--especially for someone like me who didn't even know who Kang was until after I watched the episode.

I will say that Kang was a little over-the-top cheesy. Like, the writing and acting combined felt a little over-cooked. But, I don't watch Marvel movies for the acting or great acting or story-telling; I watch them for the visuals and the reveals.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Of course YMMV, but I found Loki and Sylvie's character "arcs" in this show totally uninteresting. Loki basically had the exact same character development that he already had in the movies (going from a non-caring asshole / trickster to someone who genuinely cares) and Sylvie is essentially the same character the entire series.

Sure, Sylvie and Loki's bickering was occassionally fun to watch, but there really wasn't much of a character arc there IMO. I had a lot of issues with WandaVision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but at least they did have some interesting new character development, this just had Loki doing essentially the same thing he has been doing in the movies for six episodes.

The only new development I can think of is the reveal that Loki is bi, but that doesn't play any role in the series beyond the one time he mentions it.

I full on disagree. Loki was Never someone who didn't care, but he was always someone who's care for others was came second to his thirst for power and love for self. Even at the culmination of Ragnorak/ beginning of IW, Loki betrays Thor.

This is the first time in any MCU of Loki where Loki became truly selfless. The final words between Sylvie and Loki, cemented Loki's growth. "I'm not you". He finally loved someone other than himself and managed to not
back stab them.

As far as Sylvie, this chapter in her story was about her lust for revenge as well as learning to allow herself to be vulnerable with someone else. And ultimately her success in one area meant a failure in the other. It's a tragic ending to her arc. But the arc did exist.

Loki being revealed as bi wasn't really a character development it was a lore drop.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
I would bet good money Jonathon Majors has a voice role somewhere...

God is it August yet

I mean I believe he's arguing that mainline Loki DIDN'T die when Thanos choked him and ALSO cast an illusion and hid on a planet for years. That's just demonstrably not true.
I wonder if it will end with an "avengers" episode with all the variant heroes coming together to face cartoon Kang.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Ah, well, that's a Schrodinger's cat sort of situation - we can't know until they confirm otherwise. We know that Loki's "correct" path ends with his being killed by Thanos, but we also know it's possible for Loki to slip away at the last minute and hide forever, even from the TVA, up until the point he causes a nexus event.

Classic Loki isn't implied to be Mainline Loki, but there's no reason he couldn't pull the same stunt, y'know? It's just speculation. (But it'd ruin the sacrifice so I doubt they'll ever pull that thread.)

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Ah, well, that's a Schrodinger's cat sort of situation - we can't know until they confirm otherwise. We know that Loki's "correct" path ends with his being killed by Thanos, but we also know it's possible for Loki to slip away at the last minute and hide forever, even from the TVA, up until the point he causes a nexus event.

Classic Loki isn't implied to be Mainline Loki, but there's no reason he couldn't pull the same stunt, y'know? It's just speculation. (But it'd ruin the sacrifice so I doubt they'll ever pull that thread.)
Well yeah I think they've resurrected Loki in a much more satisfying way, don't know why they'd do any different.
I wonder if it will end with an "avengers" episode with all the variant heroes coming together to face cartoon Kang.
There will be some sort of culmination event as hinted at in the trailer... exciting times.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
So is the theory rn that all the variants are humans taken during the snap? Just grab some people and don't send them back when the unsnap happens.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
wouldn't be shocked if what if has at least one of the characters "break out" of their timeline and end up in the movies

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think he would be less threatening if there are multiple Kang running around because, like, stopping him only stops one of him and they all ultimately want the same thing. These are guys capable of existing at any point in space and time that can destroy entire universes and fully intend to destroy all the universes except their own. The only reason the MCU is still standing is because their Kang is the one that won last time, but they no longer have a Kang to "defend" them (if you can call it that).

Even one Kang is far worse than Thanos ever was (his most evil plan was to reduce one universe to its atomic components and rebuild it into a utopia that worshipped him, which isn't as bad as destroying all but one universes). and there's a practically infinite number of them. The best part is they're not a physical threat. They seem entirely human, so the heroes that can punch hard enough to blow up planets won't help.

You're going to need to be a lot smarter to beat Kang, I think, so it's probably a good thing Reed Richards is showing up soon.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
you are.

He never said anything about stabbing. He said he cast an illusion. MCU Loki didn't even think of this which is why the explanation from classic Loki was necessary.

No, he isn't. Classic Loki is shown several times (including his death scene, but also in the scene where the Lokis get into a brawl) to be MUCH more skilled at illusion than everyone else. Not just because he never uses daggers or physical weapons, but also because he is FAR older than everyone else! MCU Loki is a thousand years old and looks like he's in his thirties. Classic Loki looks like he's in his 70s. He's easily thousands of years older than every other variant.

Wrong again. The tape was the entire lifetime of MCU Loki and this was made clear. There was nothing else. The TVA would not have been fooled by an "illusion" because they had already pruned Classic Loki for the same stunt years ago.

I'm not wrong. The TVA was not "fooled" by an illusion- I never suggested as much. Classic Loki's life between his encounter with Thanos and his pruning was not important to the TVA because he was living in solitude. He only came back on their radar when he tried to rejoin society.

The Loki in the show isn't MCU Loki. He didn't think of this because he hasn't lived any of the experiences that would have lead him to think of this. he was pruned before IW, before Ragnorak, before Dark World, before all of the events that would have lead him to beef up on his magic.

Yes, classic loki is thousands of years older, wiser , and more experienced than the shows Loki- which is which is why he was able to tell the shows Loki about the things he didn't get to experience... including the fact that reliance of dangers stunts progression with sorcery.

You are factually, 100% wrong. The show even told us this. My god.

No it didn't. It classic Loki literally recaps the scene in IW, and tells us it was an illusion. My God.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I get the impression Kang is basically Batman, but with time travel. He'll be prepared for any scenario. Not sure how they make that interesting.

No it didn't. It classic Loki literally recaps the scene in IW, and tells us it was an illusion. My God.

So you're saying every single Loki that was killed by Thanos...wasn't?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad this didn't completely, disastrously drop the ball in the finale. Best writing and performances of the season, Majors is going to kill it.

Last edited:

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
HOLY FUCK THEY DID IT, THEY NAILED THE ENDING

After WandaVision and Falcon I had to temper my expectations on expecting big villains/plot points to appear suddenly at the very end, even with the blatant Kang hints and references, but Loki said fuck all of that, here's Kang!!! Johnathan Majors with the drip!!! Also as a non-comic book reader, this episode greatly helped me picture how much of a threat Kang is, and I gotta say, it's pretty dope having what is seemingly the next big Marvel villain be black.

And I loved how they got around the worries about "wasting time" explaining everything about Kang's backstory and motivations by revealing that he is not the actual antagonistic (well, more antagonistic than this one) Kang we're going to see in future movies/Loki S2. This was essentially his origin story in a sense. There was no big fight, just a thorough explanation on why Kang exists, as well as what the cost will be if they decide to kill him. The episode was huuuuge on the exposition, but I was captivated the entire time, helps that Majors gave a great performance.

This is also BIG because now people can no longer deny that these Disney+ shows are absolutely just as important as the movies. We were getting a taste of that with the previous two shows, but Loki is by far the most important MCU content we've gotten since Phase 4 has begun. Like anyone that doesn't watch Loki is just straight up missing out on hugely important info. The amount of stuff it's setting up (and could setup since we're going full-blown multiverse) when you sit down and think about is truly mind-boggling, holy fuck

But plot aside, back to the Lokis. Loki's character development has been an absolute joy to witness. I like how, at least for me, there were some points during this episode where you're like Slyvie, wondering if Loki is really thinking about betraying Sylvie. But nope, he's actually genuinely concerned about the consequences of killing Kang, and only wants Slyvie to be okay. In the end, it's Slyvie, not Loki, who ends up fucking up massively (this dwarves what Starlord did by FAR), ironically by doing exactly what she said she was gonna do from the start. But it didn't provide her with any relief, she clearly feels empty despite having finally succeeded in her eons-long mission. Also their little scuffle they had was amusingly easily the best fight in the series as well I thought. Also despite being into their relationship, I was still taken aback at them actually kissing, crazy

As for Renslayer, where the hell did she go? Because Miss Minutes was following Kang's orders when she told Renslayer to leave, but he's dead now, so... Either way, not sure what's going to happen to this specific Renslayer, but I imagine this whole multiverse stuff will provide an easy to show a Renslayer from another timeline that has a more personal relationship to Kang that's closer to what the comics have done.

Overall, I stand by my opinion that this is easily the best MCU Disney+ show has done yet, and definitely the strongest finale so far. So, so glad that this is the one getting a 2nd season.
You pretty much said everything I wanted to say LOL

I was so ready for Marvel to chicken out again like they did with WandaVision but nope, they gave us the real deal and set up the rest of Phase 4. The hype for MoM is going to be insane but I'm guessing that Spider-Man will ease us into the multiverse war before we get a full blown taste later.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yea, can somebody anybody explain why exactly Kang is a threat in some more detail? Tech advantage, super high IQ, and knowledge of events is primarily it right?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I came it saying this was gonna to be the best of the starting crop by far and boy did they deliver.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Holy fucking shit they nailed this.

That was absolutely amazing. I cant believe they really went with Kang. I loved this to pieces.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
HOLY FUCK THEY DID IT, THEY NAILED THE ENDING

After WandaVision and Falcon I had to temper my expectations on expecting big villains/plot points to appear suddenly at the very end, even with the blatant Kang hints and references, but Loki said fuck all of that, here's Kang!!! Johnathan Majors with the drip!!! Also as a non-comic book reader, this episode greatly helped me picture how much of a threat Kang is, and I gotta say, it's pretty dope having what is seemingly the next big Marvel villain be black.

And I loved how they got around the worries about "wasting time" explaining everything about Kang's backstory and motivations by revealing that he is not the actual antagonistic (well, more antagonistic than this one) Kang we're going to see in future movies/Loki S2. This was essentially his origin story in a sense. There was no big fight, just a thorough explanation on why Kang exists, as well as what the cost will be if they decide to kill him. The episode was huuuuge on the exposition, but I was captivated the entire time, helps that Majors gave a great performance.

This is also BIG because now people can no longer deny that these Disney+ shows are absolutely just as important as the movies. We were getting a taste of that with the previous two shows, but Loki is by far the most important MCU content we've gotten since Phase 4 has begun. Like anyone that doesn't watch Loki is just straight up missing out on hugely important info. The amount of stuff it's setting up (and could setup since we're going full-blown multiverse) when you sit down and think about is truly mind-boggling, holy fuck

But plot aside, back to the Lokis. Loki's character development has been an absolute joy to witness. I like how, at least for me, there were some points during this episode where you're like Slyvie, wondering if Loki is really thinking about betraying Sylvie. But nope, he's actually genuinely concerned about the consequences of killing Kang, and only wants Slyvie to be okay. In the end, it's Slyvie, not Loki, who ends up fucking up massively (this dwarves what Starlord did by FAR), ironically by doing exactly what she said she was gonna do from the start. But it didn't provide her with any relief, she clearly feels empty despite having finally succeeded in her eons-long mission. Also their little scuffle they had was amusingly easily the best fight in the series as well I thought. Also despite being into their relationship, I was still taken aback at them actually kissing, crazy

As for Renslayer, where the hell did she go? Because Miss Minutes was following Kang's orders when she told Renslayer to leave, but he's dead now, so... Either way, not sure what's going to happen to this specific Renslayer, but I imagine this whole multiverse stuff will provide an easy to show a Renslayer from another timeline that has a more personal relationship to Kang that's closer to what the comics have done.

Overall, I stand by my opinion that this is easily the best MCU Disney+ show has done yet, and definitely the strongest finale so far. So, so glad that this is the one getting a 2nd season.
I thought Renslayer was going to open the portal and then walk into that room where Kang, Loki, & Sylvie were. Since she didn't, it makes me wonder which version of Kang is her lover (if that is still a thing).

But other than stating that this is the best MCU Disney+ show, I agree with everything here. I think Loki as a tv show at all is the worst out of the three on Disney+ set in the MCU, however, this finale definitely triumphs the WandaVision finale which was one of the weakest points of that show, and Falcon which to me aimed higher but didn't achieve what it set out for - as a whole, including its finale even though its finale wasn't bad.

And I think watching these shows are just as essential as watching the movies. They are MCU installments all the same, so skipping one of these series in my opinion is the equivalent of skipping any of the movies in between the major crossover films. If you decide to skip any installment, you're always going to miss essential parts of the story. For example, Captain Marvel and Antman 2, two films that both came between Avengers 3 & 4, both which grossed significantly less than both. That's indicative that the full target audience hadn't seen all of the pieces of the story, even though the two pieces in between were legitimate interims between Avengers films