• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The entire TVA thing doesn't make sense at all tbh. I still don't get it properly.

Is there one timeline or multiple? I assume there must be multiple because Sylvie existed for 10 years up until the point she triggered the TVA to intervene. So the working theory is that there are multiple timelines but they all still operate to the general vision - i.e. Loki has to be the villain. Do their devices destroy the *entire* timeline when they prune someone? Or do they leave behind a timeline with someone missing from it? Cause that surely creates an even bigger issue?

I like the show and am enjoying it, but the "logic" behind the TVA and its actions isn't holding up at all with even the most cursory glance.
The bombs only erases the Variance area
I was confused by that too i originally thought it erased the entire timeline but it only erases the area
You see when they took Sylvie that her toys were erased but the floor was still intact

The reason why Sylvie was a variant doesn't seem to be gender it's possible but doesn't seem like it and Owen did say they captured different versions of Loki who have different powers with the only overlap being some forms of illusion powers
we might see that revealed next episode why Sylvie was captured

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So the end credits scene... is that one Loki holding a version of Mjolnir? I didn't know if it was just a different universes take on it where Loki was worthy or if it's just some random copy hammer

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
They grabbed her while she was playing with a toy Valkyrie who was saving Asgard.

The moment she decided she wanted to be a hero and a protector.

When they dragged her into the TVA, she shouted at them to help the other Variant who was being abused.

Her Nexus Event was that she was going to be good.

I've seen this take elsewhere and I'm a fan of it. It lines up really well with what she's been doing as well. She isn't vying for the power of the TVA, she's trying to take down the "fascists" (her words) controlling everyone's lives and give everyone their freedom back. Her mission isn't ambitious, it's noble.

If we do get a Kang cameo, I think he may appear as Immortus or the Scarlet Centurion and we only get a hint to him as Kang and the bigger story of his time travel shenanigans. I picture the series ending where it appears that it wraps up the story, but then we get a post credit scene of an alternate universe Kang and that is where we see that this set the stage for his ascension in the multiverse or that he isn't so easily stopped since he is very savvy about manipulating the multiverse to his advantage.

That being said, with how most of the rest of the Disney series have gone, Ravonna or Old Man Loki will be the big bad behind everything. We are 2 episodes from the end and I've been burned by the speculating about another big character being revealed this late in the game twice before already.

If you're working off earlier speculation of "Old Man Loki" you're gonna have to drop it, most of that was hinged on Richard Grant as the Big Bad. And he's probably still meant to be an older and more sinister version of Hiddleston's Loki, but him being the central villain seems out of the question. And as for Ravonna, it's really a question of whether she's staging everything with herself on top or if she's serving the actual person behind the TVA, and the latter seems more likely given her role so far.

At this point it seems like a toss-up between a different Loki and Kang, and both can work thematically if written in the right way. And unlike Mephisto Kang is an actual possibility because unlike Wandavision there is very clearly someone else we haven't seen before behind the curtain.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I've seen this take elsewhere and I'm a fan of it. It lines up really well with what she's been doing as well. She isn't vying for the power of the TVA, she's trying to take down the "fascists" (her words) controlling everyone's lives and give everyone their freedom back. Her mission isn't ambitious, it's noble.

If you're working off earlier speculation of "Old Man Loki" you're gonna have to drop it, most of that was hinged on Richard Grant as the Big Bad. And he's probably still meant to be an older and more sinister version of Hiddleston's Loki, but him being the central villain seems out of the question. And as for Ravonna, it's really a question of whether she's staging everything with herself on top or if she's serving the actual person behind the TVA, and the latter seems more likely given her role so far.

At this point it seems like a toss-up between a different Loki and Kang, and both can work thematically if written in the right way. And unlike Mephisto Kang is an actual possibility because unlike Wandavision there is very clearly someone else we haven't seen before behind the curtain.
Plus we know Kang is 100% coming to the point of actually being cast. I do see the Mephisto comparisons but it's just not quite the same.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just supposed to look like Mjolnir? Like a prop or something? You didn't give me enough to answer my question and just gave me more questions lol
You know as much as everyone else knows. Boastful Loki isn't like a comic character or anything, so we have no idea what the hammer is. It definitely seems like it's meant to evoke Mjolnir

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Is it just supposed to look like Mjolnir? Like a prop or something? You didn't give me enough to answer my question and just gave me more questions lol
You know as much as everyone else knows. Boastful Loki isn't like a comic character or anything, so we have no idea what the hammer is. It definitely seems like it's meant to evoke Mjolnir
Could be a version raised by Dwarves who built his own hammer to challenge Thor

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm that makes sense...

Almost as if it was a massive plot point of the last episode

That's not my issue / point.

Obviously the TVA is not doing what it says it is, and something extremely dodgy is going on.

But the actual, factual things they do don't make sense and leave more questions than answers. I'm not perplexed because their actions don't make sense with what their mission is. I'm perplexed because the universe as has been presented makes no sense at all.

If Mobius and other pruned variants are not in fact dead, I'm laying heavy odds the TVA survives but is put under the leadership of Mobius. Who reimagines their purpose as preventing hostile time travelers (like Kang) from changing history to benefit themselves.

I could see Mobius realizing that even after his memories are restored he can't go back to an old life. The prime version of himself would still be there, living it out.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
They grabbed her while she was playing with a toy Valkyrie who was saving Asgard.

When they dragged her into the TVA, she shouted at them to help the other Variant who was being abused.

And unlike Thor she could actually be a Valkyrie.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So the end credits scene... is that one Loki holding a version of Mjolnir? I didn't know if it was just a different universes take on it where Loki was worthy or if it's just some random copy hammer
Their is precedent for that.

554251e26da8118b6b8b456a

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017

Oh shit, this is really good

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Was that the first episode with a post credits scene or did I just miss them in the past?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
OMG I just peeped.... he's in NYC?!?!? I have no idea what's going on anymore, I love it.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's likely the real deal but, of course, it won't have Thor's power inside it (unless something happened to Thor in that universe and Loki inherited Mjolnir).

I am kinda curious what Mjolnir would be capable of in Loki's hands though. He isn't actually a god, after all, he's a jötunn raised by gods so he doesn't actually have any divine power of his own to channel through Mjolnir.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Fanboys going at the IGN reviewer in his mentions and DMing him bullshit. Really having a normal one over criticism of a TV show.

I'll never understand why people care that much about what other people think. I mean, yeah, I would personally rate the episode at least an 8/10, but someone else rating the episode a 5 or even a 1 wouldn't really change anything for me. In this case, the most I would do is ask the reviewer to explain themselves further, since I don't feel that any episodes have "jogged in place" so far.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
So Loki is in love with another version of himself.

Interdimensional incest? Didn't see that one coming.

Xanfrabot

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Now that we know that "pruning" someone doesn't actually kill them , I wonder what the TVA's battons and reset charges actually do to whatever they touch.

Reset charges don't seem to rewind anything, destroyed objects don't get fixed and return to their original place (like an infinity stone would do). They just disappear.

On the other hand, looking at the post-credits scene, it is easy to assume that we're in some kind of post-apocalyptic New York (notice the Avengers Tower in the background). But on second thought... maybe that's not the case. What if everything that gets "pruned" is actually being teleported to somewhere outside time? A completely different realm where pruned people and objects can't affect the Sacred Timeline in any way? Like... a Battleworld?

loki-end-post-credits-scene-kid-classic-loki-richard-e-grant-1274047.jpeg

I bet this isn't actually New York, and all these buildings and people were actually brought here, to this multiversal purgatory, when they got pruned. That would be fun xD.

Last edited:

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Fanboys going at the IGN reviewer in his mentions and DMing him bullshit. Really having a normal one over criticism of a TV show.

I'm not going to defend anyone going after him in DMs and what not, but twitter replies, IGN comment section, etc are fair game. His review seemed to misunderstand or misinterpret the episode and people are rightfully dunking on him for that. Anything beyond that is uncalled for.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now that we know that "pruning" someone doesn't actually kill them , I wonder what the TVA's battons and reset charges actually do to whatever they touch.

Rest charges don't seem to rewind anything, destroyed objects don't get fixed and return to their original place (like an infinity stone would do). They just disappear.

On the other hand, looking at the post-credits scene, it is easy to assume that we're in some kind of post-apocalyptic New York (notice the Avengers Tower in the background). But on second thought... maybe that's not the case. What if everything that gets "pruned" is actually being teleported to somewhere outside time? A completely different realm where pruned people and objects can't affect the Sacred Timeline in any way? Like... a Battleworld?

loki-end-post-credits-scene-kid-classic-loki-richard-e-grant-1274047.jpeg

I bet this isn't actually New York, and all these buildings and people were actually brought here, to this multiversal purgatory, when they were pruned. That would be fun xD.

You know, that makes sense to me - we've already established with the Sif scene that the TVA can create pocket dimensions, transport people to them, and set the rules there. The background looks pretty slapdash, with buildings just sort of randomly dumped at odd angles. Could be post-apocalyptic, but I buy this as a possibility - the multiversal dumping ground.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
So. A lot hasn't been answered yet but we have working theories and some comics background we can work around.

The TVA is a massive scam of some kind orchestrated by a Villain we haven't seen yet - so what they've told us about timelines etc can't be taken as fact. And the Time Keepers were part of that scam - think like Wizard of Oz.

Ravonna is the name of the woman you're talking about. There is a comic character called Ravonna Renslayer and partner of a villain called Kang the Conqueror (long story short, he's a scientist from the future who is a time-traveller). Kang was also cast ages ago and is the antagonist in Ant-Man 3 (and rumoured to be an ongoing antagonist for the MCU).

I don't recall them saying Sylvie's their daughter, the only specific thing I remember is calling her a "cosmic mistake".

Main Loki's origin is he was a frost giant, Odin waged war against them, and ended up adopting him. Sylvie's origin, in theory, is the same although we don't know that for certain; she's from a different timeline/universe.

The show hasn't exactly explained timeline/universes well, but at the at same time we've only had it explained by the TVA - an authoritarian regime with their own agenda. But between Loki's shenanigans with the TVA, and Wanda exploring the Multiverse in search of her children, we'll get an explanation for how the Spider-Men will cross universes.
Wow thank you for your very thoughtful post!

Now I need to also keep Ant-Man 3 on my "to watch" list! Everything sounds excellent!

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm not going to defend anyone going after him in DMs and what not, but twitter replies, IGN comment section, etc are fair game. His review seemed to misunderstand or misinterpret the episode and people are rightfully dunking on him for that. Anything beyond that is uncalled for.
They're not doing that though. "You just didn't get it" is one of the most tired ass responses toward reviews. It's not a deep show. They're just doing game review bullshit, "score too low", "why didn't they hire someone who likes genre", "your writing is garbage", etc.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't think of battleworld, but it certainly seems like the TVA has been lying and actually trying to prune alternate realities instead of timelines. Anyone they prune gets sent to that pocket reality to just live it out.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to like this show more but it defs has some rough edges. Hoping it was just down to Covid production issues and future season will be way more inline with expectations. That fight scene in the Time Keepers chamber was like something straight out of 60's Batman TV show lol

The fight scenes have been mostly bad. It's my one major complaint about the show. They also seen to have forgotten that Asgardians have super strength.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
They're not doing that though. "You just didn't get it" is one of the most tired ass responses toward reviews. It's not a deep show. They're just doing game review bullshit, "score too low", "why didn't they hire someone who likes genre", "your writing is garbage", etc.

His major critique was that the story isn't advancing in any meaningful way. In this episode we learn:
Sylvie's reason for being a variant; that the timekeepers are puppets for someone bigger; that there are other variant Lokis in presumably a Battleworld; that the TVA is in fact housing variants and two major characters learn that; we learn more about Renslayer's background (and probably villain status?)
I think the reviewer wants bombast and spectacle when the show is throwing tons of little bread crumbs in the water. It's not nearly as incoherent as he's portraying it to be. My only point of agreement with his review is that they didn't really explain how the multiple fraying timelines was resolved.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand why people care that much about what other people think. I mean, yeah, I would personally rate the episode at least an 8/10, but someone else rating the episode a 5 or even a 1 wouldn't really change anything for me. In this case, the most I would do is ask the reviewer to explain themselves further, since I don't feel that any episodes have "jogged in place" so far.

I sure felt the third one did.

On the other hand, I thought this episode was fantastic, and in hindsight needed the last one to establish a relationship between Sylvie and Loki. (I just didn't think they did that good a job of it.)

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Shit at all the details people notice. Didn't notice the croko Loki or Avenger tower in the post credit.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
What happened when Sylvie bombed the sacred timeline? I feel like they never got back to that…

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
What happened when Sylvie bombed the sacred timeline? I feel like they never got back to that…
Seemed like it got handled by emptying the TVA, which gave the opening for Sylvie to come in and not be seriously challenged. If not for Loki slowing her down, she's able to get past the door.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been as high on the last couple of episodes as they lose a lot of the mystery that made the first couple so alluring. But I'm still in love with the visuals. Lamentis so far seems like a throw away setting, and yet it is one of the coolest concepts in the MCU. The opening scenes of episode 4 gave me a big ol grin. Great sci-fi imagery if nothing else.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Tell me everything about Alligator Loki.

I love him.

I bet this isn't actually New York, and all these buildings and people were actually brought here, to this multiversal purgatory, when they got pruned. That would be fun xD.
That's a pretty solid theory, I like this a lot.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The fight scenes have been mostly bad. It's my one major complaint about the show. They also seen to have forgotten that Asgardians have super strength.
This is a thing my nerd brain can't over both Lokis are asgardians (frost giants whatever) and Loki survive getting his shit rock by people like the hulk with only his ego hurt and can give Thor and Valkyrie (i remember Valkyrie in ragnarok show of some super strength) a fight
FATW seems to at least sell super strength better with super soldiers tearing through everyone but other super soldiers and falcon who has wings

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Gonna be real, the latest episode actually is kinda losing me in terms of interest. I don't care about the dumb plot stuff. I only care about Loki's character development. It's a bit weird they're leaning into the romance angle, but it could be explored since again it would all serve to explore Loki's character since he's basically falling in love with himself. But, every time him and Sylvie are separated to focus on pointless plot shit we lose this crucial aspect to explore Loki and their different facets.

I want to see them explore their differences and their similarities, I want to see them challenge each other. And I want to see each of them confront themselves. I don't give a shit about who the Time Keepers are or if its all Kang or seriously who gives a fucking shit. The series is titled LOKI, so give me LOKI. That's why last episode was such a good episode. I want Loki: Moon or Loki: Looper not Loki: Quantum Leap.

You want all of that in just 6 episodes, huh? Are you forgetting the part where these shows and movies are all supposed to connect and build to another large cross over event? You might not "give a fucking shit", but those story beats are important to flesh out and build the new phase. Again, you're viewing Marvel content as one offs instead of a series of interconnected episodes.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You want all of that in just 6 episodes, huh? Are you forgetting the part where these shows and movies are all supposed to connect and build to another large cross over event? You might not "give a fucking shit", but those story beats are important to flesh out and build the new phase. Again, you're viewing Marvel content as one offs instead of a series of interconnected episodes.

I'm sorry I view these shows as stories that should focus on their characters as opposed to "building the next plot phase." And 6 episodes is the equivalent to 5-6 hours. I'm sorry that the show seems to be unable to do what plenty films have done in less time. Moon is 95 minutes.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the episode a lot and advancing the plot is valid. But it's 100% a worthy criticism to judge the show for itself and not just its larger place in the MCU plotline.

It doesn't need to be a character study but it does need to be satisfying unto itself.

Edit

Also, FWIW, I think this TVA stuff is not going to be foundational to the next MCU phase, really. It's its own story, and that's fine.