• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My feelings on this one fluctuated a lot. I thought the first half was much better than the second. Everytime a fight scene happened it got to a point where I really noticed a fight scene was going on, and not in the best way.

In the end just felt like a throwaway episode to put the characters together. But I do like both characters. I really missed the explanation and lore stuff. Assume that comes back.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
This was the best episode so far.

*checks thread*

*various meltdowns in progress*

Well okay then.

I have checked the threads after every episode of the D+ MCU shows and every single episode has at least one person say it's the worst episode they've seen. You'll never please everybody.

As for me, I loved this one. I think I liked 2 better, but for different reasons. This felt like a higher budget Doctor Who and I'm all for it.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't agree with that even in the slightest.

This look good to you?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I have checked the threads after every episode of the D+ MCU shows and every single episode has at least one person say it's the worst episode they've seen. You'll never please everybody.

As for me, I loved this one. I think I liked 2 better, but for different reasons. This felt like a higher budget Doctor Who and I'm all for it.

By time the plan became highjacking a doomed spaceship to escape the planet my mind went into Doctor Who mode and it 'might' be one of the best Doctor Who stories since that Capaldi time loop one. It was just super fun, high concept, and did a great job showcasing the two leads in an organic way. Like, at first its really weird how different they are until Sylvie lets slip how totally different her life was. Which raises further questions the reveal about the TVA also builds on (which, again, seems strange and lingers until the ahah).

I loved it, they even got a good sense of scale for the finale bit. Yeah the desert scenes weren't perfect but whatever, the episode was great. Best MCU episode I've seen yet.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
A few things:

1) I'm not sure Sylvie was raised by Asgardian royalty. They make it pretty clear that she did not have the same foster mom. And she mocks him as a prince. That said she would have been named Loki by Odin at least. Could be that all the royals were killed when she was younger (maybe the Frost Giants destroyed Asgard?) and she was on her own.

2) they may be on the train still and Loki is testing his abilities to manipulate her.

3) Sylvie looks like she doesn't understand the Asgardian that Loki is singing.

or she does recognize it and it's reminding her of her brief time with Friga.

I feel like her reaction to his singing is significant.
All good points, 3) would explain so much.

I couldn't understand why it was swapping between English and another language but that'd explain everything.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
my biggest beef was with the weird one-take shot at the end

pacing was hella off

*FIVE MINUTES TO LAUNCH*
"Let's go around!"
*stares at ship, waiting for camera to get into position*

seems like they had to keep the pace slow for all the angles, but it really doesnt fit well in a segment where they are supposed to be rushing around

the one-take had one of the better shot fights since the camera isn't cutting all over the place, but it's slow since the shot has to go back and forth between the two as they do the punch-flips

speaking of punch-flips, that move Sylvie pulls in the hallway at the start of the episode was great, where she flips up on the wall

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked the episode, great character stuff with Loki but my only complaint is that we didn't get enough of Sylvie development. Like when she just said she didn't really remember her mother I was like "come on man", how did they pass up that chance to give us more insight into her? That scene/episode had more than enough room to develop both them instead of just mostly Loki. And besides making her have more depth can only help in developing Loki since it really delves into the question of what makes Loki.... Loki. It could all still come back around, not over yet

but yeah besides that I enjoyed it, the word "filler" has lost all meaning in online tv discourse. Unless it's referring to anime episodes not based on manga then hearing the word filler come from someone means nothing to me anymore

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
This one was alright I hated that Sylvie kept losing parts of her costume as the episode went on. Early marvel/Captain America helmet syndrome.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

pacing was hella off

*FIVE MINUTES TO LAUNCH*
"Let's go around!"

seems like they had to keep the pace slow for all the angles, but it really doesnt fit well in a segment where they are supposed to be rushing around

the one-take had one of the better shot fights since the camera isn't cutting all over the place, but it's slow since the shot has to go back and forth between the two as they do the punch-flips

speaking of punch-flips, that move Sylvie pulls in the hallway at the start of the episode was great, where she flips up on the wall

Yep, felt the same.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
Surprised at the amount who are to good to been in a romantic relationship with the opposite sex version of themselves.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm staying out of here because of spoilers as I'm waiting to binge this later, but I just want to say that after seeing Zeo's thread, that's an A+ title.

Bloodsent

Oct 25, 2017

pacing was hella off

*FIVE MINUTES TO LAUNCH*
"Let's go around!"

It really did feel like the director was a bit too ambitious with the idea of a one take, and it came across as way too awkward and choreographed, with weird delays in action to seemingly get the camera in place or actors at their marks. If the budget was big for this fine, but it was certainly not Children of Men from 15 years ago.

Megapighead

May 2, 2018
Enjoyed the episode, but definitely not as strong as the first two episodes IMO. Dialogue seemed rather hit or miss.

Dec 12, 2017
that may have been one of the worst one takes I've seen. The set looked cheap, the choreography was terrible, and the hidden cuts made me laugh. Otherwise the show has been very enjoyable.

Last edited:

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Things I liked

It was very talky. Loki is at his best when he gets to be actually mischievous and talky. I actually find the need to have fights rather tiresome as the choreography always feels off. No fight has been as interesting as the ones in the first episode.

Things that disappointed

The planet was not interesting and my eyes rolled when I saw that the 'aliens' on this planet were humanoid which conveniently saves on makeup and more effects.

Some of the green screen stuff was very off key and not visually interesting. Not sure of the turnaround needed on this show but a few shots could definitely have done with a few more passes.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta get this off my chest, all these superhuman people look so damn ordinary I must say.

But I guess they weren't too concerned about making Loki and everyone else look super strong or fast.

I said this at the beginning of the episode when it dropped last night. And yeah, I get why he looks so normal, at least physically. When Captain America movies came out in the past, they wanted to show how superior he is to regular humans. When Shang Chi's movie comes out, they want to focus on how skilled he is.

But for Loki's show, I don't think they really cared all that much his physical attributes which is why he looks so underwhelming. Doesn't mean it's not jarring though when they can occasionally forget that a character is suppose to be a powerhouse.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Fucking hell the OST of this is incredible

The rest of it seems pretty ok so far after the first episode too

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
This look good to you?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Hey, I remember you from the cinematography thread shitting up each page with a pseudo intellectual, first year film student understanding of cinematography and being exceptionally rude to anyone who dared enjoy MCU shot composition and doing your best to educate them on what "real cinematography" was.

Just from a cursory look at the Wiki page for the cinematographer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autumn_Duraldj, she graduated from the AFI Conservatory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI_Conservatory) so yeah, I personally think this is both good and that said cinematographer knows more about shot composition and lighting than some random cat on a website who was telling strangers yesterday they don't understand what they're looking at and need to educate themselves before contributing on cinematography on an Internet forum designed for video game discussion.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
Hey, I remember you from the cinematography thread shitting up each page with a pseudo intellectual, first year film student understanding of cinematography and being exceptionally rude to anyone who dared enjoy MCU shot composition and doing your best to educate them on what "real cinematography" was.

Just from a cursory look at the Wiki page for the cinematographer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autumn_Duraldj, she graduated from the AFI Conservatory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI_Conservatory) so yeah, I personally think this is both good and that said cinematographer knows more about shot composition and lighting than some random cat on a website who was telling strangers yesterday they don't understand what they're looking at and need to educate themselves before contributing on cinematography on an Internet forum designed for video game discussion.
The cinematographer can be talented and very good at her job, and it can still look like shit. I don't even think this looks bad - I like it - but what kind of rebuttal is this? The cinematographer knows more about cinematography than you therefore the cinematography is good and you cannot have an opinion on it? cmon

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I love this show but I will say, the obligatory hand-to-hand combat every episode is starting to feel a bit forced/out of place for the character. or maybe my lack of interest for that sort of action is to blame. unless it's incredibly well done, but that's pretty much never the case on a television shooting schedule.

I suppose not every MCU show can be as boldly uninterested in pure action as the wonderful Wandavision.

that is my one gripe though. the writing, acting, score and production design (well all the TVA stuff at least) are all fantastic.

Last edited:

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
In terms of Loki's powers, I am a little surprised at how bad he has been talking his way into places/around security.

You can understand it with the TVA and Sylvie but he should be fooling these mortals no problem at all

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
By time the plan became highjacking a doomed spaceship to escape the planet
This goes absolutely nowhere though. It wasn't even a plan. A plan has steps. What they did was decide they wanted to do something, walked to the location, and then watched the ship blow up. At no point was there any indication of any scheme being in place. That's... not very interesting.