• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I for one can't wait for the big screen adaptation of Jean Grey outing Iceman.

With that said, I'm not going to pat them on the back just yet, it's taken them 10+ damn years to get a female led movie out ffs

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for said characterizations to be implemented in a way that keeps it marketable for the Chinese Box Office so as to meet the criteria necessary to be allowed to partake in that Cinema market. Due to that reality I will keep my expectations low. But regardless their hearts are in the right place and I hope they give it a good effort.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Forced diversity would be to make Falcon gay when his mannerisms and behavior up until this point is anything but.

If they decided to make Falcon gay but he flirted with Natasha, that doesn't go against his mannerisms and behavior. Fun fact: gay people can flirt with people of the opposite sex because flirting isn't always about being sexually attracted to somebody.

Oct 31, 2017
If they decided to make Falcon gay but he flirted with Natasha, that doesn't go against his mannerisms and behavior. Fun fact: gay people can flirt with people of the opposite sex because flirting isn't always about being sexually attracted to somebody.

Okay.

Hmm... that's an interesting take. I won't jump down your throat but I'm curious to know how someone's daily behavior or mannerisms is automatically linked with who they are sexually attracted to? Are you assuming that one has to be flamboyant to get the point across? Because, in my humble gay opinion - that surely isn't the case.

That is not what I suggested or implied.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Forced diversity would be to make Falcon gay when his mannerisms and behavior up until this point is anything but.

Hmm... that's an interesting take. I won't jump down your throat but I'm curious to know how someone's daily behavior or mannerisms is automatically linked with who they are sexually attracted to? Are you assuming that one has to be flamboyant to get the point across? Because, in my humble gay opinion - that surely isn't the case.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
China:
CaringSmugInsect-size_restricted.gif

Good

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Yes sometimes people are just amicably flirty.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Additionally, rumor has it that there exist people who are attracted to men and women at the same time.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
I would love to see how China edits around Wiccan and Hulkling when the time comes for Young Avengers.

....... They're gonna make Hulkling shapeshift into a woman, aren't they?

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Let's get steve Rogers out of the closet so he can be with winter soldier.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The world already has gay superheroes. Maybe stop the queerbaiting and removing scenes that show characters as LGBT. Just a thought.

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Antagonizing other members and negatively characterizing diversity over a series of posts

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
You don't think thats what he meant do you?

Which you won't know watching the movie.

It was originally going to be made more explicit in the movie in a scene with a woman leaving her bedroom, and then Marvel vetoed it to play in China.

But you were originally meant to know that the other Valkyrie who is highlighted in the flashback, the blonde one, was her lover.

Flirting with a woman, for instance.

Have you heard of bisexuals before?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
What is "diversity for the sake of diversity"? That line of thought is based around that Woman, PoC, and LGBTQ need to justify their existence while white straight male doesn't.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Or the middle east or a lot of Eastern European countries or South Americans etc. There's still a LOT of homophobia in the world.

Yeah. There will inevitably be some number of countries that don't show Eternals. (Not that that should stop Marvel, in a perfect world) I just wonder if that means they will ban the whole series.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
What is "diversity for the sake of diversity"? That line of thought is based around that Woman, PoC, and LGBTQ need to justify their existence while white straight male doesn't.
Personally I really dislike forced heteronormativity. Damn straights always weaseling their way into my superhero movies.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Or the middle east or a lot of Eastern European countries or South Americans etc. There's still a LOT of homophobia in the world.

I think that it's actually explicitly illegal for films to be shown in China with gay content without being censored, but I might be misremembering. Since China is the biggest market outside the US -- and often bigger -- where most films make a lot of their money, the fact that China is so homophobic has been one big stumbling block for these huge franchises in particular.

See also the terrible additional scenes set in China for Iron Man 3 for proof of how much Marvel focuses on that market.

Thats what i thought cause if that dude was talking about that valkries and hel scene that ain't nothing.

edit: and they're banned now.

I somehow didn't realize, due to lack of an avatar, that the person arguing against forcing diversity was the same person who thought Valkyrie's bisexuality was as established as it needed to be in Ragnarok. Jesus.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Looking at all those comments about TLOU Ellie's sexuality I am not so sure if the world is ready for a gay superhero.
It would be great if Marvel pushes for it anyway but it's hard to believe that they would willingly chose to loose money because of it.
On the other hand, if it is "only" one person on a team of heroes, people might be more open and accept it. If I were the actor I would quit social media though... just in case.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm trying to figure out who Quinto can play in the MCU

I'm trying not to limit my thoughts to characters who are already gay in the comics. There are plenty of straight characters they could do that with and it would make sense.

I'd love to see Amadeus Cho as the next hulk as well.

They did a very early setup for Amadeus in Age of Ultron but it will be quite some time until we see him barring any sort of time jump in the universe.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm trying not to limit my thoughts to characters who are already gay in the comics. There are plenty of straight characters they could do that with and it would make sense.

They did a very early setup for Amadeus in Age of Ultron but it will be quite some time until we see him barring any sort of time jump in the universe.

Yeah I hear you. That's right Amadeus's mom was Helen Cho

Oct 29, 2017
I think the intensity of the backlash will depend of whether it's a main character or secondary. One thing is for sure, those incel type assholes are going to be trash no matter what.
I dunno, you're all talking about the weird, sad folk but, culturally, there's more of a precedent for different ethnicities and women being our stereotypes of heroic and strong. Gay people? Not so much. I honestly think that to an extent the wider audience would reason more with a lesbian superhero because they have an unfair stereotype as being overtly masculine. Likewise, gay men ordinarily have their masculinity diminished or stripped away in the media.

I dunno. I'm sure Marvel will do a good job.