• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Shang-Chi-Marvel-cover-1.png

Marvel Studios is fast-tracking Shang-Chi to be its first superhero movie tentpole franchise with an Asian protagonist. The studio has set Chinese-American scribe Dave Callaham to write the screenplay, and Deadline hears Marvel is already looking at a number of Asian and Asian-American directors who want to do something as potentially monumental as was accomplished in Marvel's first viable Best Picture candidate, Black Panther.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/shang-...allaham-kevin-feige-black-panther-1202512660/

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Will they use his arch-rival that went on to fight the silver surfer?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
surely all of the people that used shang chi to deflect from people wanting an asian Iron Fist will see this?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me hyped as hell. I wonder if they'll do a dead-serious film (akin to WS) or a strait up comedy. Both would work well.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
surely all of the people that used shang chi to deflect from people wanting an asian Iron Fist will see this?

It's my understanding that Shang Chi isn't exactly the most well known comic book character. I imagone most people who've ever even heard of the character Shang Chi have got to be pretty big comic book fans, so...yeah, probably.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
If they're making a martial arts superhero movie, I hope they prioritize choreography and clarity. My dream picks would be Yuen Woo-ping (The Matrix) or Iko Uwais on fight choreography and Matt Flannery (Raid movies, Merantau) on cinematography.

Up-and-coming/promising director choice would be Roseanne Liang; she's the Chinese-New Zealand director behind the short Do No Harm. The short was already quite promising and is getting expanded into a full film by her, being produced by David Leitch. Established director choice would be Kim Jee-woon; between A Bittersweet Life, The Good Bad Weird, I Saw The Devil, and Illang, I'd argue he's one of the best modern action directors

Chaofahn

Nov 16, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Fingers crossed they get an actual Chinese-American actor as opposed to "meh, looks Asian, good enough!".

So hyped. Hoping to get that same feeling my Africian-American fam got with Black Panther.

This is awesome and yes Steven Yeun would be an awesome choice. Thank you Feige for caring about diversity.

I love Steven Yeun and all, but this exactly the "looks Asian, good enough" thing I was talking about. :/

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This is a MUCH better martial arts IP than Iron Fist ever was, so good call

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
After I posted this the other day in the MCU hangout...

With DC and a Latino Blue Beetle movie, I think Marvel should put out an Asian superhero movie, and high key just have a diversity competition between these two studios. I'm not even kidding; I fully believe representation matters, and it's making money.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Nice. I wonder if or when they'll formally announce Phase 4, like they did in the past for Phase 3.

Last we heard from Feige, "Phase 4" may not exist as a concept. The idea of the MCU moving in set "phases" culminating in a big crossover thing is apparently going away. We'll still get movies like Avengers but they won't be a central focus I guess? And sequels will happen whenever without a guarantee of there being one every "phase" for certain heroes.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit. No way! This gets me hype. We finally will get an Asian lead superhero movie.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm happy that they're diversifying their line-up but I can't say that I've ever liked Shang-Chi that much. Maybe it's because I first discovered him in a really shitty X-Men crossover. But hey, if they pick a good actor and director, why not.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
This is kinda weird given that Marvel Studios has shown no previous interest in street-level characters, but it could work in the right hands.

TBH, I kinda expect this to play up the mystical elements with not-Fu Manchu and to be something of an ersatz Iron Fist movie, which I'd be okay with after the Netflix series so badly missed the point of the character.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
No but seriously how are they going to make the whole Fu Manchu thing not super racist other than completely changing his backstory. Or casting Tilda Swinton as Fu Manchu.

Oct 31, 2017

"Oh an asian dude that does martial arts would be stereotypical" was used so much against the idea of an asian Iron Fist, but I doubt any of those replies will actually show up here.

That said, Shang Chi lacks most of the defining features that make the coolest Marvel characters to me: no colorful codename, costume or super visual powers(as far as I know).

It was my issue with Amadeus Cho before he got Hulk powers; he was one of the top smartest people on the planet but all the other top smartest people on the planet also had badass code-names and colorful costumes/powers.

But it's an MCU adaption so there is plenty that will change from what I know of the comic character to the actual movie version. And seriously, Steven Yeun needs to be in more movies and tv shows. I swear he would be a huge star if Hollywood didn't hate asian dudes.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Fingers crossed they get an actual Chinese-American actor as opposed to "meh, looks Asian, good enough!".

So hyped. Hoping to get that same feeling my Africian-American fam got with Black Panther.

I love Steven Yeun and all, but this exactly the "looks Asian, good enough" thing I was talking about. :/
Same can be said about Johansson and Olsen. Neither of them are European. I like Yeun a lot. I can't think of any Chinese Americans who'd draw as well as Yeun.

Fortunately Marvel could go with a newbie and it would still make bank with the Marvel name :)

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I am there Day 1 if they ever come through with this movie.

I say let's go with Daniel Wu for the lead.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Up-and-coming/promising director choice would be Roseanne Liang; she's the Chinese-New Zealand director behind the short Do No Harm. The short was already quite promising and is getting expanded into a full film by her, being produced by David Leitch. Established director choice would be Kim Jee-woon; between A Bittersweet Life, The Good Bad Weird, I Saw The Devil, and Illang, I'd argue he's one of the best modern action directors

Saw this short on Short of the Week the other day and thought it was amazing. This is a great choice!

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So does this mean there's going to be a potential point in the MCU where Shang Chi teaches Spiderman the Way of the Spider? :O

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was waiting for Marvel to make a true kung fu movie.

(I love how 1970s Marvel didn't care how blatantly they tried to cash in on all the latest trends, lol.)

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
No but seriously how are they going to make the whole Fu Manchu thing not super racist other than completely changing his backstory. Or casting Tilda Swinton as Fu Manchu.

Is it really that hard to have a supervillain who happens to be Asian without evoking the Yellow Peril archetype? Marvel Studios doesn't even have the rights to Fu Manchu anyway, and it's not like they need to be particularly beholden to the source material.