• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
In what sense? Please don't reply with a comment about me fearing a powerful woman, or some nonsense like that because if you do then you have no understanding of my position on the story.

But for the third time (reposted from facebook):

I think it's fair to have issues with how the comics handled the overall story of Jane as Thor. However the movie might not make the same mistakes. For me, the core concept still has value. If it was another director, or even earlier in the MCU's run I would be more skeptical. For the moment I'm going to be excited.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
People really liked the Mighty Thor as a character? I mean in the comics she, in that role, ultimately only seemed to exist as an opportunity for growth for Odinson. They even built in a guaranteed death sentence for her in which her sacrifice resulted in the power reverting back to Odinson.

She ultimately served the needs of Odinson in the end. I never found that especially empowering but hopefully they do something better with it this time around.
In what sense? Please don't reply with a comment about me fearing a powerful woman, or some nonsense like that because if you do then you have no understanding of my position on the story.

You aren't correct about the story.

Her guaranteed death sentence served the story in a dramatic sense. It didn't exist just to serve Odinson. In fact,
she doesn't remain dead but is revived by Odin, AND the "power" doesn't revert back to Odinson at all. That's utter nonsense, since the hammer was destroyed, and Odinson was never without his powers.

Anyway, her story was awesome. She knew she was dying and chose to keep being Thor even though it was making her cancer worse/interfering with her chemo. But she had to save the realms, so she kept fighting, kept pushing, giving it all she's got.

Odinson, on the other hand, went on a journey of self-discovery, learning to cope with the whole situation. He was still a total badass, just in a rut for the moment (much like in the movies lately).

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
I love Portman , but its a shame they passed on the actor that REALLY born for the role , Vincent D'nofrio
odyaemzcw5w11.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Taika will play the physical embodiment of cancer and make dumb jokes.

I find him so one note

Please do yourself a favour and go watch Wilderpeople, and then firstly the film version, of and then the TV show - What We Do In The Shadows.

Although I think his next project will trigger a lot of peoples.... He's playing Adolf Hitler.

As an aside, have we noticed they're also part of the voice cast for the first What If...? episode?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10670784/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

Let's not act like MCU honors these arcs page to page. We have no idea what they will do and how they will pull it off. Especially since vulnerability and insecurity are arcs Thor just faced in the last two Avengers films. Let's give them a chance.

Oct 26, 2017
You aren't correct about the story.

Her guaranteed death sentence served the story in a dramatic sense. It didn't exist just to serve Odinson. In fact,
she doesn't remain dead but is revived by Odin, AND the "power" doesn't revert back to Odinson at all. That's utter nonsense, since the hammer was destroyed, and Odinson was never without his powers.

Anyway, her story was awesome. She knew she was dying and chose to keep being Thor even though it was making her cancer worse/interfering with her chemo. But she had to save the realms, so she kept fighting, kept pushing, giving it all she's got.

Odinson, on the other hand, went on a journey of self-discovery, learning to cope with the whole situation. He was still a total badass, just in a rut for the moment (much like in the movies lately).
She may have had nice moments but her death was built into her character arc from the very start. Her role in events was designed to be temporary and to instigate change within Odinson.

Jason Aarons is a good enough writer that he knows how to flesh out characters no matter if their ultimate role is to essentially support the development of main characters like Odinson.

I didn't see Jane Foster's arc as being distinct from his, which is why as a whole I enjoyed it no matter my complaints.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Not counting Endgame, it will have been 9 years between two appearances of Jane in the MCU, that's insane.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
I'm confused, didn't Portman had enough of the MCU and didn't appear in the later movies because of it?

The first two Thor movies are the only MCU movies I didn't enjoy, so I don't blame her for bailing. She said she was drawn to the idea of making a super hero movie with Kenneth Braunaugh and (my opinion) it didn't work out. It's possible she saw the third film and liked the vibe. Oh, and she gets to play Thor instead of just being a love interest.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm super excited for this!

As for Portman as Thor? I'm stoked for that too. I don't blame her for being meh considering how weakly they handled Jane in the past. Adapting the Jane as Thor storyline is a great way to give her something to work with, so while I'm sure they gave her a nice paycheck, I'm not that cynical to think that that's the only reason she came back. Actors act, and as I said, they didn't really give her much to work with in the two previous Thor movies she was in. I imagine playing just "the love interest of hero" isn't exactly a role that leaves you begging for more.

She probably saw how much fun Ragnarok was, and how energetic the production of that movie was, and wanted in. And if they pitched her carrying the Thor series forward, I can totally see why she'd jump back in. This is definitely the announcement I'm most excited about, despite there being some great stuff coming.

Last edited:

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Love love LOVE this.

My only hope is that she gets a name different than "thor". I feel like it would be confusing to have two people with the same name. Other than that minor gripe, I can't wait for this :) Portman, Thompson and Hemsworth will make one hell of a trio in this one.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Hemsworth is probably a bit too valuable for him to exit in favor of Portman full time, but I could see a "Thors" movie leading back into status quo being restored

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
My only hope is that she gets a name different than "thor". I feel like it would be confusing to have two people with the same name. Other than that minor gripe, I can't wait for this :) Portman, Thompson and Hemsworth will make one hell of a trio in this one.
she'll be called.... Natalie Thortman

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Taika will play the physical embodiment of cancer and make dumb jokes.

I find him so one note

These are movies and comics. Likening a creator and their method to cancer is really kind of fucked up. That said, From the directing to writing or tone I think it is fair to say Thor: Ragnarok is the best of the Thor movies. Taika is a really good filmmaker who brought an interesting take that help differentiate Thor from his other MCU peers. ALSO: Read Aaron's run specifically his stories about Young Thor. Young thor could be brash, silly, goofy, and ridiculous and it worked because he was strongly defined. Before Ragnarok I didn't feel Thor was all that well defined and it was also the first film where I said to myself "Damn Self. Chris Hemsworth is a really great actor." Why did that happen? Taika was a good enough director to recognize Chris's strengths and capitalize on them.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Hoping that when "human" Jane Foster changes into Fem Thor, we get Lagertha from Vikings (Katheryn Winnick) instead. She was born for a female Thor role.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
I'm stoked for another Thor film, but I'm not sure about Portman being Thor. Her performance in the first two Thor films was lackluster. I'm hoping since Taika is directing, he'll be able to use her strengths because she's not a bad actress at all.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Why are some of yall expecting an Oscar performance from a CBM directed by Taiki Waititi?

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't be the strangest thing to see an acting nomination for a Marvel film. Johnny Depp was nominated for Jack Sparrow. Every now and then the Academy likes a fun performance.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The logo is cool and all but is there a story reason why it looks so retro? It looks like something out of an 80s American cartoon.

Or is that just because logos of 80s American cartoons happen to look cool?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Are nerds genuinely upset that she was unhappy with the crappy role written for her in the other movies?

Yes they are.

Because they've been conditioned to see women in male power fantasies like comic books as props solely existing for the benefit of the male hero. They can't wrap their heads around the idea that the people playing these parts in movies may not be 100% thrilled to have nothing substantial to work with when it's their job to act and embody these characters.

It's no different from the clerk working an office job where they have to stamp paperwork all day. It gets tedious, boring, and ultimately unfulfilling. They know they can do more/better than what's being asked of them, but they aren't getting that chance.

Poorly written/executed characters have the same effect on an actor. Portman was rightly annoyed with how poorly Jane was written in the previous films. Now there's a writer/director who has reinvigorated the Thor franchise, and clearly has plans for Jane. I'm sure they pitched the idea to Portman, who was clearly impressed with what they're going to do with Jane beyond just making her Thor, and that excited and reinvigorated her interest in returning to the character.

Just like that clerk would be reinvigorated if their boss was like, "hey, you don't have to stamp shit anymore, we're going to put you in charge of project management, like you've always wanted to do." A job is a job, and creatives working in creative industries want to exercise that creativity.

The incel crowd also can't wrap their heads around the idea of women characters having their own agency and lives outside of how they impact the male hero. They didn't see Jane as anything more than the chick Thor hooks up with. Sadly, the writers of the Thor films seemed to think of her the same way, and gave her storylines with about that much thought put into it. Just enough "personality" so she wasn't cardboard, but about as shallow as a kiddie pool. Thankfully Taika is not of that camp, and will no doubt do wonders with Jane's character, and Portman, being a great actress, will make that shit sing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of confused. Was Thor kind of a transformation like the hulk? Like, how can a human become a thor? The original thor transfer his thor powers to others or something like that?

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of confused. Was Thor kind of a transformation like the hulk? Like, how can a human become a thor? The original thor transfer his thor powers to others or something like that?
I think he started as a human doctor that picked up the hammer to transform and later got retconned into always being thor. When Thor has been deemed unworthy jane picks up the hammer instead and thor goes off adventuring in space or something. Loses or lost his arm, picks up an axe that sort of stuff

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
In the comics, Thor was originally the alter ego of the human doctor Donald Blake, who would turn into Thor when he held Mjolnir, though it was later established that Donald Blake was actually always Thor, just under a spell by Odin or whatever. But basically, the idea of a mortal worthy of Mjolnir holding the hammer and transforming into a version of Thor has happened to other characters like Eric Masterson, and then later Jane Foster (though this definitely isn't consistent).

How this is going to be applied to the films is up in the air. All we know is that Jane will become "the Mighty Thor" per Taika when she gets Mjolnir somehow. How and what's going to happen is unknown.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the answers. So the vibe I'm getting is that Thor is more of an entity than a "character".
I don't remember them hinting at this in the previous movies, I wonder how they will approach this angle after so many titles in the franchise.

My current guess: During Dr. Strange and his multiverse movie. They run into a Jane Foster that took over the mantle of Thor when Thor died in the first movie in their universe. She comes to our universe. It's the only way they get the hammer back w/ the enchantment.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Thanks for the answers. So the vibe I'm getting is that Thor is more of an entity than a "character".
I don't remember them hinting at this in the previous movies, I wonder how they will approach this angle after so many titles in the franchise.

Mjolnir doesn't even exist in the main MCU timeline right now, so we'll see how it plays out. We can assume Thor still wields the Odinforce. A power like that could put an enchantment on a new Mjolnir or any other weapon, that whoever be worthy of it will wield his power.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

in Jason Aaron's story he explains that Mjolnir is super powerful and sentient. Basically it has the most powerful god storm that ever existed trapped inside of it. It can physically transform the weak, frail, dying Jane into this god-like being whenever she's holding it. However when she's in Human form she's undergoing chemo to treat cancer. Every time she turns into Thor her body cleans out the chemo when she transforms-so essentially every time she becomes Thor she's killing her self little by little. But she keeps doing it because Thor Odinson was unworthy and could no longer protect Asgard and the Ten Realms.

jane-foster-is-revealed-as-the-new-thor-1.png

jane-foster-is-revealed-as-the-new-thor-2.png

jane-foster-is-revealed-as-the-new-thor-3.png
jane-foster-is-revealed-as-the-new-thor-4.png

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It not a thing in the movies and it really wasn't in the comics either. Some characters had gotten Thor's powers but they had not actually "become" Thor, I think that was mostly something created for that run.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
My current guess: During Dr. Strange and his multiverse movie. They run into a Jane Foster that took over the mantle of Thor when Thor died in the first movie in their universe. She comes to our universe. It's the only way they get the hammer back w/ the enchantment.
I was just thinking something like this

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Jane will be the 'main' Thor going forward. Not saying it isn't possible, but Hemsworth is confirmed to make continued appearances. If Ragnarok is anything to go by, Taika Waititi will mash up two different stories (maybe God Butcher, or when New Asgard was remade on Earth?) and have Natalie play a defining but not permanent, role.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The dynamic will also have to be pretty different since in the comic Thor is unworthy and ends up accepting the fact that he can no longer be Thor so he's fine with Jane taking over for him. In the movies he knows he's worthy in Endgame and he's fine having all of his powers, and more, with Stormbringer.

It'll be interesting to see what pieces Taiki takes from that run.