• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I'm already seeing some yikes-worthy takes on Twitter, but fuck 'em. Believe in Taika.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that among all the Marvel SDCC announcement threads, this one is the one generating the most replies and views

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
But Thor is his name. I don't get this.

The inscription on his hammer reads "Whosoever holds this hammer, if they(used to be he) be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

I guess if you have the power of Thor you essentially are Thor. In the comics, during a time when Thor was no longer worthy (for a BS reason) he changed his name to Odinson.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Thor 1 isn't great but I don't think it's shit like some people say.

It's a fun fish out of water superhero comedy. Hemsworth is charming and funny enough, and Thor has a clear arc of becoming less selfish.

Broken Dudebro But Super Powerful Thor from Ragnarok and IW/Endgame is way better though.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Well, that's unexpected. Never would've expected Portman to return to the MCU, especially not as fucking Thor.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Thor 1 isn't great but I don't think it's shit like some people say.

It's a fun fish out of water superhero comedy. Hemsworth is charming and funny enough, and Thor has a clear arc of becoming less selfish.

Broken Dudebro But Super Powerful Thor from Ragnarok and IW/Endgame is way better though.
Thor 1 needs to be viewed through the lens of Branaugh's Shakespeare adaptations (which is what he was chiefly renowned for). He basically treats it like a Shakespearean tragedy with Loki as the main character. The rest is competent dressing. Viewed through that lens, I still find Thor 1 to be one of the more unique and enjoyable entries in the MCU. Loki in that film is still one of the best villains in any comic adaptation.

I would argue that Branaugh's treatment of Loki is a huge part of what made Avengers 1 work as well as it did. Thor 1's importance to the success of the MCU should not be underestimated.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if they'll have a different actress play Jane when she's in Thor form? If so I have a suggestion.

gwendoline-christie.jpg

She's tall and everything but I'm thinking maybe they should get someone who has a physique like Meisha Tate

20161111074030_07_Tate.JPG

The voice will be dubbed with Portman's so acting ability importance is minimized. I like Christie but she's always the go-to answer for everyone when talking about a strong woman. For Thor I would rather see a woman with muscle tone and great arms.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm down because I think the Fem-Thor run was awesome. But. Portman always seems bored in these movies. Hope that isn't the case here.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're not gonna cast a different actress for when Jane is Thor. Bet on it.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Wait what, so who is Chris gonna be then? He's Thor. I saw the ending of Endgame, but I assumed he was gonna pick up the hammer eventually again. Don't know about this. Guess we'll see.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
How's the heat in comicgate world? Female Thor was one of Marvel's big critically acclaimed runs, so im hoping their geekiness vs misogyny is tearing em apart

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather Valkyrie was the new Thor.
He passed the torch of leadership to her at the end of Endgame.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Everything about Portman and her "science" team were definitely negatives on the first two Thor films, but they weren't that great all around anyway.

Taika has earned the benefit of the doubt on making good with the Thor franchise with Ragnarok, so I'll trust in his judgement

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The inscription on his hammer reads "Whosoever holds this hammer, if they(used to be he) be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

I guess if you have the power of Thor you essentially are Thor. In the comics, during a time when Thor was no longer worthy (for a BS reason) he changed his name to Odinson.
Always annoyed me, but now I just roll with it

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
I did not give a shit about Thor until Ragnorak so I'm excited to see what Waititi has instore for Natalie Portman's Thor. Plus Natalie Portman is a great actor when she actually gives a shit about the project.

Last edited:

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
People always making a big deal about the name "Thor", acting like there's some sort of official rules and logistics that must be followed or established or some shit. Give it a rest, it's not a difficult concept. I know some, not all, are haters just trying to find a simple, "factual", "indisputable" way to knock her down. Have some imagination and/or get over yourselves, if that's the case.

Honestly, if she gets a hammer and is seen flying around doing Thor stuff, people might just call her "Thor" offhand and the name sticks. OMG, that was soooooooooo difficult, I need a rest after that mental exertion!

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie will obviously delve into what Jane calls herself, she's not just going to randomly pick up a hammer and start calling herself Thor in the first ten minutes. And because it's a comedy they have a lot of leeway to play with humor around the confusion of the situation.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I straight up cried when they announced it, Jane Thor is my favourite character this is my dream come true, such a wonderful surprise!

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Anyone else feel like this movie wasn't a part of their plans at all until recently? Like during Ragnarok-Infinity War-Endgame it doesn't at all feel like they had another Thor solo movie planned out, especially considering the JaneThor aspect. I'm all for it but they are gonna have to show or explain a lot of things like the GotG and Mjolnir etc.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
really wondering how this is going to play out

so thor is going to stop being thor? I dont really get it lol. I'm fine with Portman taking up the mantle of Thor, but what about actual Thor? Are the Guardians going to be in this movie? Is this just another excuse for Thor to fuck off and explore the universe with the Guardians, now that he knows Jane will take up his mantle of Thor? What is going on lol.

Man I need some more info on this.

Anyone else feel like this movie wasn't a part of their plans at all until recently? Like during Ragnarok-Infinity War-Endgame it doesn't at all feel like they had another Thor solo movie planned out, especially considering the JaneThor aspect. I'm all for it but they are gonna have to show or explain a lot of things like the GotG and Mjolnir etc.

No, after the success of Ragnarok I always thought they were planning another Thor movie. Esp. considering Hemsworth's desire to keep playing the role.

I'm just wondering how this is going to jump off of those other movies though

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Natalie Portman doesn't really need to be regulated as just a love interest like she was in the first two movies. I honestly think it makes sense to give it to her, although I would have preferred someone else as I think she's a bland actor.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very cool twist. Glad she gets to do something better with her part which was always pretty weak.

I always laugh at the body haters, weren't people saying Sif should be Wonder Woman just because she looks badass in armour, oh yeah.....armour!

Portman may be small but she is really fit. Those Attack of the Clones abs. Thor isn't muscle because of the hammer etc.

Oct 26, 2017
The female Thor thing was a good arc in the comics but I'm not a fan of Natalie Portman (I guess we're stuck with her) and more importantly didn't Thor get over the idea he wasn't worthy in Endgame? Doing that whole thing seems redundant.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The female Thor thing was a good arc in the comics but I'm not a fan of Natalie Portman (I guess we're stuck with her) and more importantly didn't Thor get over the idea he wasn't worthy in Endgame? Doing that whole thing seems redundant.

Thor is running away. He still has a lot of issues to work out and, instead of doing that, he's running away. I don't even think he has Stormbreaker with him, but I may have simply missed it.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Thor really has bad luck, he lost his mother, father, home planet, hamer, best friends, brother and his new Avenger friends. Now he is also going to lose his identity.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Since this is out before GOTG3 I guess Thor is done with them in the opening act of this film and we won't get a film where they spend most of the film together, that would disappoint me.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm, it does make sense.

The inscription isn't logical when Thor Odinson can lose access to his powers. Based on the understanding that Thor refers to him alone if he's unworthy the hammer would be useless as you'd possess the powers of a homeless vagrant bum (per Thor 1).

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Hmm, it does make sense.

The inscription isn't logical when Thor Odinson can lose access to his powers. Based on the understanding that Thor refers to him alone if he's unworthy the hammer would be useless as you'd possess the powers of a homeless vagrant bum (per Thor 1).
Maybe Thor is a title for the God of Thunder and he's actually called Chris or something