• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Her prominent appearance in the credits of Endgame makes a bit more sense now, keep her character in people's minds.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Taika is the equivalent of the Avengers in Endgame travelling back in time to fix their reality. Except it's the Thor franchise.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Fuck yes. This is going to be great, and Natalie will probably be far more into playing Thor Jane rather than Basic Love Interest Jane (even if I still liked her). Sometimes the best man for the job... is a Portman.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jane Thor will train Fat Thor back into Hot Thor is it?

I don't actually remember if Thor takes Stormbreaker with him at end of Endgame. What if Thor 4 is a twist on the comics - Jane is dying from cancer; she goes to New Asgard to talk to Thor because she regrets how they broke up and doesn't want to die with regrets; he isn't there but Stormbreaker is and Valkyrie gives it to her to save her life?

Then Jane and Valkyrie goe off into space after Thor, Jane sees the state he's in and helps him get back on track while Thor tries (very badly) to play cupid for Valkyrie.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Natalie is a great actress and she can be hilarious, but her character in the first two movies was very... Meh.

Very curious to see how Taika will rewrite her into the story.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Ok now that we've discussed Portman, let's focus on Jane herself. It's going to be interesting seeing them interact again, as we'd gotten so used to his half-hearted excuse that he dumped her. Did they really drift apart because of distance and busy lives, or will there be a new reason thrown into the mix? Will they get back together by the end or remain friends? Lots of different ways they could play this out.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Ok now that we've discussed Portman, let's focus on Jane herself. It's going to be interesting seeing them interact again, as we'd gotten so used to his half-hearted excuse that he dumped her. Did they really drift apart because of distance and busy lives, or will there be a new reason thrown into the mix? Will they get back together by the end or remain friends? Lots of different ways they could play this out.
I can't remember if they did the cancer stuff in the old Thor movies, but I don't think so, right? Wonder if there's still going to be some kind of on-the-brink-of-death situation with her.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not too excited about the return of Jane. She was s pretty uninteresting character and dropping her to focus Ragnarok on....well everything else was one of the great things about it. This should have done everything in its power to pretend those first two Thor films didn't exist imo.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
She's too old, too short and not buff enough but she can acted so will see I guess

Last edited:

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how much muscle Portman's gonna have to put on. I can't imagine her getting super bulky, but it'd be nice to see a female superhero who's not lithe and slender like all the others.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Please let Si f be in this, and not a small cameo. Maybe give her a tv show (with the Warriors Three?) on Disney+?

plain

Oct 27, 2017
Natalie Portman as Thor is the best news to come out of this panel. Super hyped for this and Blade.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Annihilation is one of the best Sci fi movies of the decade.
This is true. I will forever be scarred by the bear scene.

As for the news itself, YES. With Taika and Hemsworth making it no secret that they both wanted a Thor 4, this is great. Portman however... that is a surprise. Especially because Mjolnir is still broken. I guess Eitri recreated the hammer? Or timeline shenanningans?

Man, Mjolnir takes a liking to many people these days.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
She isn't to old, she is only 38, she doesn't need to big or buff. She could play Jane Foster while they do Thor with a body double, similar to how they made Steve Rodgers pre-Serum but in reverse.

Honestly considering overweight Thor worked just fine in Endgame. What would be the problem with a lean female Thor in the one?

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Real talk though

Will she and Cap make out?

Edit: people talking about Portman's physique? Guess we shouldn't tell them that Jane had cancer in the Goddes of Thunder series and that the powers of Mjolnir/Thor kept her alive.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This is wild. I love it. I thought JaneThor would never happen, even after that Endgame cameo. Announcements like these make sure the MCU isn't running out of steam anytime soon.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Except she is a fantastic actress and you're lying to yourself if you think Taika Waititi would "act circles" around Natalie Portman.

Your schtick is getting tiring.

It's not as if Taika was forced to come back to Thor and then forced to make this specific movie. Marvel (and Hemsworth) liked what he did with Ragnorak and wanted him back for another. Taika is also writing this movie. This is clearly a movie he wants to make. So he wanted Portman as Thor, that's enough to keep me excited.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
User warned: Hostility towards another member.
Don't know why I'm surprised that PlanetSmasher is here trying to shit on Portman. I shouldn't be surprised. Yet here I am, being surprised. Uncanny negativity. Never saw him happy about anything. And he always has to make sure that it's not his opinion (which would be totally fine !), but that it's the absolute truth.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
it was on Netfix in Europe right from the start. So i bet enough people saw it.

Just because something is on Netflix doesn't mean people will watch it, plus the whole reason it was sold off to Netflix was that the studio was afraid it was too weird for the mainstream.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't allow retroactive shitting on Thor 1. It's a great film.

Thor 1 had no chance of being good and Kenneth Brannagh found several angles to make him genuinely funny and charming and those are throughlines that have made thor a fan favorite. Taika recaptured the absurdity of the idea with a giant safety net that is Brannagh's film. It's not perfect but it's really well done and it's easy to forget how tremulously this whole effort began.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Yeah Portman is a great actress she's just been in some movies with bad scripts, Thor and Annihilation come to mind.

Deadman

Oct 29, 2017
I finished reading the Jane as Thor run only last week. There are some really good stories in there, it will be interesting to see what they choose to adapt.

Many of the supporting characters in the stories dont really exist in the mcu and/or are dead. Odin, Loki, Malekith are gone. Roxxon has only been mentioned in passing in Iron Man 3 as far as I can remember.

I hope that its not just a 1 film thing, it would be better served over multiple films, perhaps her own trilogy.

Then in the future you can have Hemsworth come back for an Old King Thor story.

Last edited:

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly considering overweight Thor worked just fine in Endgame. What would be the problem with a lean female Thor in the one?

Overweight Thor was one way to show off how broken the character felt after Infinity War. Similar in the comics they used a big contrast between Jane Foster and her appearence as Thor to support the story. Just look at the cover of The Mighty Thor #1. If they decide to drop all of the interesting themes of Jane Thor than they could obviosly do a more lean thor.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
As someone who unironically liked Dark World this makes me happy. Also the salt from the anti-SJW crowd. IT WILL BE DELICOUS

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Just because something is on Netflix doesn't mean people will watch it, plus the whole reason it was sold off to Netflix was that the studio was afraid it was too weird for the mainstream.
Just saying that the "lol nobody saw it" joke is maybe not on the money when millions of people could stream it in their NF sub in the EU without the need to go to the theatre like in the US. Annihilation was prominent in the "popular" netflix tab and many media outlets did reviews at release. Like always with higher profile flicks like blind spot, bright etc. these garner usually a lot of attention.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Is this something they'll commit to in future movies, or will it be a one off thing for half the movie?

Idk, feels like bullshit to me. Haven't read the entire thread so please tell me I'm wrong and it's been announced that she will be Thor going forward!

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
It really says something to MCU's quality that Dark World is the worst they can accomplish. Fox, WB and Sony would kill for that quality control.

Yeah, it was a fun movie. Don't get why so many people meme it to be so awe full.
And while I really liked Thor 3 I wasn't the biggest fan of Thor randomly turning into a comedian.

More Tessa Thompson is great though, Valkyrie is a great character.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
She's too old, too short and not buff enough but she can acted so will see I guess
She's only in her 30s, and women can go gym if you didn't know. I never noticed she was "too short" but they can use directing to make her look more intimidating... or maybe none of this matters and it's after all a comical film. Portman will be worthy of holding the hammer.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was thinking the thundercats might be in it:
latest