• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought the first film was fine if a little bit generic aside from the visuals. Hope Derrickson and Cargill bring it, especially after how awesome Strange was in the Avengers movies.

Wait isn't Cargill out? I remember Benedict Wong saying Marvel got a new writer for the sequel?

And how scary can PG13 really be? A May release date has to indicate how important they view this film. It's the Avengers/GOTG slot.

I hope it manages to still be spooky, dark but still moments of fun and great action with beautiful visuals. Nightmare is a great pick. I want to see broken Strange. They kind of skipped the best part of his origin. Hope he gets confronted with all of the pain that lead to him being a doctor.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Wait isn't Cargill out? I remember Benedict Wong saying Marvel got a new writer for the sequel?

And how scary can PG13 really be? A May release date has to indicate how important they view this film. It's the Avengers/GOTG slot.

I hope it manages to still be spooky, dark but still moments of fun and great action with beautiful visuals. Nightmare is a great pick. I want to see broken Strange. They kind of skipped the best part of his origin. Hope he gets confronted with all of the pain that lead to him being a doctor.

The Dark Knight was PG13.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Probably my most excited MCU movie announced

After Infinity war and endgame I'm a doctor strange Stan now sorry Thor :p

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This title is amazing, who would've thought we could have movies about the multiverse like this 10 years ago. I love the direction MCU is taking and how Scarlet Witch is growing not only more powerful but is getting a lot of screentime between this and her own series.

edit: Nightmare is the villain?? In my veins already.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I very much look forward to this movie. I liked Dr. Strange, but both him as a character and the team at Marvel have become so much better showcasing his powers, developing his character and going absolutely nuts with some of these sequences (looking at you Far From Home). This could be the sequel among all sequels.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
source.gif
Same. After Endgame i felt satisfied. Fantastic conclusion. Skipping Far from Home. I knew there was more coming but not like this.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

A horror movie doesn't have to be rated-R gory or have tons of cursing to be scary/creepy or tense.

A Quiet Place, Drag Me To Hell, The Grudge, The Ring are all PG 13. Not to mention movies like The Dark Knight and True Grit

If they actually go full Lovecraft, I'm interested, but somehow I doubt this 'horror' thing is anything more than a marketing ploy. Just like The Winter Soldier was a "70's spy thriller" or Ant-Man was a "heist movie".

Not that I'm really all that interested anyway, because Dr. Strange is easily the most boring MCU character right now.
To be fair, Winter Soldier and Antman were both Phase 2 movies. Since then we've had movies like Ragnarok, which takes a hard swerve and decided to be a sci-fi comedy that effectively reboots the character, and the MCU Spider-Man movies, which commit to their "teen high school adventure" tone

Oct 27, 2017
Derrickson said that the first Strange was going to be part horror as well and look at what we got. They always make these films sound more exciting on paper than they actually turn out being in the end. Like at first you think, "ok they're finally changing up the formula and doing something different" and then when you see the final product it's "eh, more of the same".

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wait, so will this be 15 rated in the UK?

Cos we've had several 12 rated films already (the closest equivalent of PG13). All the Avengers films have been 12 rated and I think Dr Strange was too.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Horror, interesting, but still LG13. So it's still gonna be "tame"? I'd love if this had been R like Logan.
I don't get why people feel this needs to be R. It's going to be a superhero movie with horror elements. It's not going to be Brightburn, which was a slasher where the killer happened to be evil Superman

What exactly are you and others envisioning, for a Doctor Strange movie with Lovecraftian aspects, that would need an R that couldn't be done with a PG-13?

Even Shazam had some surprisingly dark monster massacre scenes and that was more family-friendly than any MCU movie

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Of all the movies they've announced this one has me the most excited. Go complete mindfuck, have scarlet witch really explore her powers

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wait, so will this be 15 rated in the UK?

Cos we've had several 12 rated films already (the closest equivalent of PG13). All the Avengers films have been 12 rated and I think Dr Strange was too.

It's gonna be PG13 but could still be 15 I guess.

With just a moment of googling (so pardon if this is wrong) it looks like Venom was rated 15 in the UK and PG13 in the US, so this might be the same situation.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017

THere´s a lot of good Pg 13 horror out there. PG 13 means no gore ou extreme violence, but good horror can be made without it

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I could see this working as a horror, they already had a few disturbing scenes in Spider-Man FFH, with Mysterio's big illusion scene, so I can see it being similar in tone to that.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, quick mini-rant.

People keep jumping back and forth between the first Dr. Strange movie, this one, and Spider-Man: Far From Home in terms of the validity of the "multiverse". What people seem to be missing is that the term is being used to describe two different concepts.

When Dr. Strange uses it it's describing the various dimensions of the Marvel universe: the Dark Dimension, the Chaos Dimension, the Microverse, the Negative Zone, etc. This is a different flavor than the "multiple Earths" concept that people bring up in regards to Ultimate Marvel and Spider-verse. Now, maybe they could be similar in the MCU's depiction of it, but Dr. Strange hasn't bridged that gap yet.

/mini-rant

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

People keep jumping back and forth between the first Dr. Strange movie, this one, and Spider-Man: Far From Home in terms of the validity of the "multiverse". What people seem to be missing is that the term is being used to describe two different concepts.

When Dr. Strange uses it it's describing the various dimensions of the Marvel universe: the Dark Dimension, the Chaos Dimension, the Microverse, the Negative Zone, etc. This is a different flavor than the "multiple Earths" concept that people bring up in regards to Ultimate Marvel and Spider-verse. Now, maybe they could be similar in the MCU's depiction of it, but Dr. Strange hasn't bridged that gap yet.

/mini-rant

That gap was bridged in Endgame when they were talking about creating new realities by changing events in the past.

The Thanos they fought in Endgame came from another reality.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I think the multiverse premise might allow this to be basically a pseudo Avengers movie like Civil War. They can easily bring back actors to play multiverse counterparts, doesn't matter their status in the main world.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017

/mini-rant

In Endgame, the Ancient One refers to Hulk's universe as separate from her own. There is a multiverse in the "multiple Earths" sense. The past settings that the Avengers travel back to are actually in separate, parallel universes, not the main MCU. This is how Loki can escape with the cube in 2012 and Thanos and all his forces can essentially disappear from 2014, and the MCU timeline is unaffected. Because they affected parallel universes instead.

They still returned the stones because not having the stones would fuck up those parallel universes more than the Avengers already did.

Oct 28, 2017
Derrickson said that the first Strange was going to be part horror as well and look at what we got. They always make these films sound more exciting on paper than they actually turn out being in the end. Like at first you think, "ok they're finally changing up the formula and doing something different" and then when you see the final product it's "eh, more of the same".

Yeah, this horror nonsense isnt going to be what people expect it to be.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
So delighted to read this announcement this morning! Between this and WandaVision, it's great to see Wanda finally getting the screentime she deserves. I thought the first Doctor Strange was fantastic and rate it as one of my favourite MCU movies, so pairing up the two characters as leads for the sequel easily makes it my most anticipated of the new slate of announced movies/shows 😁

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
That gap was bridged in Endgame when they were talking about creating new realities by changing events in the past.

The Thanos they fought in Endgame came from another reality.

....True, though Endgame does position it more as branching timelines of a single universe than as multiple universes.

Lot of people compared the time travel in Endgame to DBZ, and I actually think that's a good way to explain the very slight nuance I'm working with. Trunks may have created branching timelines but he was still operating within the confines of Universe 7. It took the Tournament of Power to reach Universe 6 and beyond.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doc Strange is my fav character so I was already in but the title and Wanda got me extra hyped

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The Strange/Witch pairing is amazing. Two of my favourite characters, and this sounds like it'll be embracing the more incredible aspects of the lore.

So in.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
....True, though Endgame does position it more as branching timelines of a single universe than as multiple universes.

Lot of people compared the time travel in Endgame to DBZ, and I actually think that's a good way to explain the very slight nuance I'm working with. Trunks may have created branching timelines but he was still operating within the confines of Universe 7. It took the Tournament of Power to reach Universe 6 and beyond.

I think the time travel of Endgame is very much like the time travel of Michael Crichton's Timeline, which was also based in ideas of quantum mechanics. You don't travel to your own universe's past, you travel to an identical parallel universe instead, to whatever year you choose because they all exist in all moments simultaneously and infinitely. Any changes you make continue to affect that universe, not yours. Ancient One talking about a branch was talking about only her universe getting fucked by losing the stones. They weren't dooming their own MCU by taking stones, but parallel universes. The Thanos that was fought and defeated was a parallel Thanos. The Loki that escaped was a parallel Loki. Tony had a nice conversation with a parallel Howard. Cap stood in the office and looked after a parallel Peggy. You get it.

Actually if I recall correctly, in the novel Timeline, when characters returned to their own time, there was no guarantee they had returned to their own original universe. But it's essentially identical, so nobody sweats it. It is assumed that parallels of the main characters returned to the main characters' universe, so it's not like they disappeared. Everything sort of falls into place and works out, like particles in an atom. Nobody is the wiser. It was, admittedly, a bit of a mindfuck for young me. But it works. Mindfuck-wise, it's like Star Trek, in a way, if you imagine that every time somebody transports, they are destroyed (killed) then a rebuilt copy emerges. But nobody cares, it's the same person, just move on.

Endgame actually provided an out for that issue, in the pad that they launch and return to. They always leave their own universe/time from that pad, and they always return to their own universe/time to the pad. The pad is the anchor to guarantee they get back to the "real" MCU. Otherwise, it's not really necessary, since the characters can travel through time and space on their own with only the suits, as Tony and Steve did. The only exception is Cap himself, who seems to have returned to his own past world and lived a life with Peggy without needing to arrive on the pad. But, consider that the timeline Cap returned to was again parallel. But it's identical, so he doesn't sweat it. Meanwhile, the Cap we see in the end, if he indeed lived a life with Peggy in the real MCU before strolling over to the bench, is actually a parallel Cap who did the same thing our Cap did. But he's identical, so nobody sweats it. It all falls into place like hadrons in atoms, or molecules in matter. Just roll with it.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's gonna be PG13 but could still be 15 I guess.

With just a moment of googling (so pardon if this is wrong) it looks like Venom was rated 15 in the UK and PG13 in the US, so this might be the same situation.

Considering Marvel usually shoots for the family audience it would be weird to have a 15 rated Marvel here (besides Deadpool which was 18 and Logan which was 15).

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Out of all the stuff they announced this movie got me the most excited. From the crazy title to Scarlet Witch/Strange team up to the fact that it's going to be a horror movie. I'm all about this movie.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Have a look at the director's filmography, it's mostly horror movies so this should hopefully be a sign that him saying Dr Strange 2 is going to be a horror isn't just lip service. Fiege is encouraging his directors to work with their strengths, Taika is doing weird comedy, and now Derrickson delving into his horror wheelhouse. Should be fun.

The only issue is expectations. Let's not expect this movie to be something fucked up like The Witch or something. It's an MCU movie that will feature elements of horror, genre tropes and such. It still has to be consistent to the universe it's set in, or as lazy critics of the MCU like to say: it has to follow a formula. The very formula that has made the MCU so beloved and successful: a consistent universe of disparate characters and plotlines, all feeding into one another, no matter the genre.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I won't be surprised if the "horror" aspect to the movie is just mostly jump scares.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
The Exorcism of Emily Rose scared the hell out of me but I'm also a weenie when it comes to horror movies. It'll be interesting to see how they toe the line with the rating.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
It being horror makes me more interested in this then in all the other Marvel stuff.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
My thought process through out all this was ...

"Monica in WandaVision? WTF is she doing in WandaVision? She has nothing to do with Wanda.
Monica played by a young 30-31 yo actress when by my math she should be in her mid 40s (depending on if she got snapped or not)
WandaVision described as being "weird"?
WandaVision sets up Doc Strange: MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS where Wanda will also be in it? And it's a horror movie so prob some fucked up stuff happens?
Wanda has fucking crazy reality screw uppy powers ...

Head math gif
Could Monica be in WandaVision so that she gets her powers from some reality screwing fuckery caused by Wanda, who opens up the path to a MULTIVERSE setting where the members of NEXTWAVE could be recruited at some point by Monica for a Phase 5 movie or show?!!? Could THIS be how we get Monica fighting a Giant Lizard with baggy Purple Shorts??? "

Needless to say I want NEXTWAVE and connecting Monica to the strangest reality wrapping powered person in the house gets me hopeful.