• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
This goes with my point that his powers could be used in original ways.
The "powers dont work on each other thing" is getting a bit stretched now. Whats the rules here now? It used to be so simple with Scott and Alex, they couldnt hurt each other but they could kind of charge each othe other up.

In these panels, Adam-Xs powers work on his "grandfather" which makes sense because he is not a blood relation if he is the son of Scott's mother and the evil beardy Shiar dude. But Scott and Alex are immune to his powers and vice versa. I read somewhere that Vulcan, who I dont know as he was introduced after I stopped reading in the mid 90s, is immune to Cyclops but not Havok?

It is making me remember stuff like X-Cutioners Song when Stryfe makes a force field to keep out people without Summers DNA or something. Alex makes it through but gets KTFO by it. I dont need to remember all this stuff at work!

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The "powers dont work on each other thing" is getting a bit stretched now. Whats the rules here now? It used to be so simple with Scott and Alex, they couldnt hurt each other but they could kind of charge each othe other up.

In these panels, Adam-Xs powers work on his "grandfather" which makes sense because he is not a blood relation if he is the son of Scott's mother and the evil beardy Shiar dude. But Scott and Alex are immune to his powers and vice versa. I read somewhere that Vulcan, who I dont know as he was introduced after I stopped reading in the mid 90s, is immune to Cyclops but not Havok?

It is making me remember stuff like X-Cutioners Song when Stryfe makes a force field to keep out people without Summers DNA or something. Alex makes it through but gets KTFO by it. I dont need to remember all this stuff at work!
Mutant powers don't work on mutant family. Scott, Alex, and Adam can't hurt each other, but they can hurt their dad and grandparents because they're not mutants. Likewise with Siryn, Banshee, and Black Tom. They're all related, so they're immune to each other.

Well, Black Tom could grow a tree and cause it to smack them, they wouldn't be immune to that, of course.

Vulcan should be immune to Cyclops and Havok, but they're not immune to him because plot and he's strong as fuck. But for awhile, the whole power immunity thing was wishy washy, which is likely how we got shit like Havok/Vulcan.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The power immunity doesn't really "work" because, like, how are you going to be "immune" to Quicksilver's power as a member of his family?

Or like, if someone's immune to The Blob's power, can they just punch him in the gut and drop him like a sack of potatoes? It just doesn't track.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I just assumed she was opening portals to the Fireworks Dimension.
She is!

Everyone's powers comes from an X power dimension!

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Mutant powers don't work on mutant family. Scott, Alex, and Adam can't hurt each other, but they can hurt their dad and grandparents because they're not mutants. Likewise with Siryn, Banshee, and Black Tom. They're all related, so they're immune to each other.

Well, Black Tom could grow a tree and cause it to smack them, they wouldn't be immune to that, of course.

Vulcan should be immune to Cyclops and Havok, but they're not immune to him because plot and he's strong as fuck. But for awhile, the whole power immunity thing was wishy washy, which is likely how we got shit like Havok/Vulcan.

Ah I had forgotten Cosair etc arent mutants. But then shouldnt Stryfe have been unable to hurt Cable or Scott? I

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

The original logic was that they where brothers. Their mutations shared the same basis so they couldn't hurt each other.

It was used similarly with Emma and her siblings, their psychic powers could not affect each other.

It was broken with Vulcan (which is why this day I call shenanigans)

For a long time mutant sibling powers couldn't harm each other.

It was retconned but I think the retcon is being retconned.

And also I hated that retcon. I remember to this day my first X-Factor comic. It was during the X-Tiction Agenda. Specifically X-Factor 60.

Scott literally beats the memories into Havok because thier powers never worked against each out r.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The power immunity doesn't really "work" because, like, how are you going to be "immune" to Quicksilver's power as a member of his family?

Or like, if someone's immune to The Blob's power, can they just punch him in the gut and drop him like a sack of potatoes? It just doesn't track.
It's usually reserved for energy, sonic, and psychic powers.

Because they're related, their bodies are immune to the energy signatures of their powers yada yada.

Ah I had forgotten Cosair etc arent mutants. But then shouldnt Stryfe have been unable to hurt Cable or Scott? I
I don't know how shit works with clones!

But telekinesis is just applying physical force, so it probably doesn't count.

You mean the Von Doomension.
I like it, glad I thought of it.

Von Doomension© TheMadtitan 2021.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Scott literally beats the memories into Havok because thier powers never worked against each out r.

I just remember from the cartoon the two of them circling each other and peacocking like fuck before cutting loose, and just thinking like, "Wait, you guys didn't know your powers don't work on each other, right? Were you just totally down to annihilate each other right then? Or did you know and you just do this shit every Thanksgiving?"

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Marc Summers should be their uncle or something with the powers that manifest as him being able to put people into episode of Double Dare or some shit.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
Summers are invulnerable to lasers?
Originally mutants were immune to the mutant powers of their family members, but later on writers decided to change that because it doesn't make much sense, but Scott and Alex being immune to each other's power was established and used in many stories before so they kept it for them.

RC.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The animated series was an excellent representation of the comic books of the time.
And the despite what some of you might say, the 90's animated series does indeed hold up.
Of course the same can't be said about Spider-Man.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 29, 2017
Originally mutants were immune to the mutant powers of their family members, but later on writers decided to change that because it doesn't make much sense, but Scott and Alex being immune to each other's power was established and used in many stories before so they kept it for them.
I assume that's why scott doesn't burn his own eyelids off?
The animated series was an excellent representation of the comic books of the time.
And the despite what some of you might say, the 90's animated series does indeed hold up.
Of course the same can't be said about Spider-Man.
I love the 90s Spider-Man, but admittedly I think it only looks good through rose tinted nostalgia glasses

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Soon it will be revealed Logan is actually Corsair's grandfather.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
And Alex always canceled out the Living Monolith for some reason

That's because Living Monolith's powers were activated in an experiment by Mister Sinister using x-gene's from Havok, so they're "genetically similar". Actually makes me wonder if Living Monolith could ignore Cyclops and Adam X using their powers on him like Alex does...

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That's because Living Monolith's powers were activated in an experiment by Mister Sinister using x-gene's from Havok, so they're "genetically similar". Actually makes me wonder if Living Monolith could ignore Cyclops and Adam X using their powers on him like Alex does...
Without Havok LM would just grow to be a planet. Alex is doing dude a favor

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Scott accidentally hits Groot with an optic blast. The blast has no effect. Groot and Scott exchange a long look, and the panels gradually narrow in on a pendant hanging from one of Groot's branches with a picture of Scott's mom inside.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I was 12 when the fist episode came out. Unless you are taking about the theme song, it is shit.

I have to disagree although just my opinion of course. I think it did and still works for the age group it is aimed at. I have watched it again recently with my son, who is only 8 and English is not his first language and he really enjoyed it and wanted to get X-Men comics although he cant read them. That mission was accomplished. It did a good job of taking some of these wacky storylines and making it understandable and relatable, especially in the first three seasons. Not all the episodes are classics, but I think they work more often than they dont for kid logic.

Exposure to the comics might have some sway. Although I was already reading X-Men at the time the show came to the area I grew up, issues were hard to find and irregular. I knew more of the backstory from reading weird "issue guide" type things that Marvel would put out. Although the characters in the show were the characters I was reading at the time, I didnt mind the "cut down" nature of the cartoon versions but perhaps if I had been deep into the comics monthly for say 5 years before the show aired, I might have felt differently. I was admittedly happy to see Cable or Archangel or Havok or Maverick on screen moving around for second!

Nov 2, 2017
Cyclops' brother Havok has had a long lasting relationship with Polaris that almost lead to marriage a couple times.

Polaris is sometimes the daughter of Magneto and the sister of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, currently Magneto's only child.

Scarlet Witch was once married to Vision, and that relationship has a chance to come back soon.

Vision was constructed by Ultron, who now that I think about it had his brain patterns based off of Hank Pym while Vision's were based on Wonder Man's, so there's some more to this family tree.

Havok has a daughter with Janet. Ultron has regarded Wasp as his mother. So there is that connection too.