• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

Yeah I liked the joke but it's dead now. I'm sorry.

Feige said that the roster will include characters we haven't seen yet so it's not just going to be characters we know so far.

Yeees. Characters we've never seen before like
"Citizen V"

or

"Mach-1". Or "Meteorite"

I see right through you Feige. Oh this Character I've never seen before looks SUSPICIOUSLY like Abomination with a paper bag on his head with a smiley face drawn on it.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Would be awesome if the target the Thunderbolts are after is Doom. Would be a cool way to introduce him ahead of Fantastic Four.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
With this being at the end of Phase 5, there's also like 13 more movies/shows to get through beforehand. Plenty of chances for more team members to be introduced during one of them if they haven't been in the MCU yet.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Well, according to one of our own members, this MIGHT be the team roster:

Deadpool
Punisher
US Agent
Taskmaster
Red Hulk
Yelena
Zemo

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't paid close enough attention to the announcements to be sure this makes sense—and I also know very little about where the comics went after the initial Kurt Busiek run—but I wonder if they use this as a sort of backdoor setup for the next Avengers team.

The government brings together their own team under their control, composed of a mix of disgraced heroes, mercenaries, and outright villains given new identities. Maybe have Zemo in his Citizen V identity, with the fact that it's him as a mid-movie reveal in a nod to the original series? Zemo corrupts the team's goals to his own ends, and stopping them acts as an inciting incident to bring a bunch of other heroes together. When all is revealed, some Thunderbolts join the good guys, some stick with Zemo, they fight, the end, the core of a new Avengers team is established. Zemo and those that stuck with him are now the Masters of Evil in spirit if not name.

Of course, they could also play it more straight in a "shady characters come together to do good" sort of thing.

Last edited:

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know the source for this? Might give hope to the Songbird fans. Orrrrrr ammo to the Deadpool/Punisher rumors.

View: https://twitter.com/mcucomfort/status/1551591955225788417

comicbook.com

Comic-Con 2022: Marvel Studios Panel in Hall H (Live Recap)

On Saturday evening, Marvel Studios took over Hall H of the San Diego Convention Center for their [...]

Brandon Davis's recap of the presentation lists it so I'm guessing it's something Feige said at the presentation.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about the team. USAgent, Taskmaster, Yelena Widow, Ghost and Zemo are the ones that have already been introduced. Punisher is a possibility considering Daredevil's inclusion in the MCU (the same could extend to Elektra but her status is more ambiguous).
General Ross is the obvious one in the modern day but his actor died so that's a bit tricky. I suppose they could have him become Red Hulk off-screen, and then they just need a voice actor, like how they brought Red Skull back without Weaving. Or they might sub in Abomination, that seems likely considering his return in She-Hulk.
As for unintroduced characters, Ghost Rider would be a good one. Rumors continue to swirl about that character recently. And it's yet to be seen if Deadpool with have any interaction with the main MCU, that's a peculiar case that I'm not holding my breath for.
Winter Solider and Hawkeye have both been associated with the team but they feel unlikely to me based on their current associations, Bucky maybe in the realm of possibility.

So with all that in mind I'm thinking:
  • USAgent
  • Yelena
  • Zemo
  • Ghost
  • Abomination
  • Punisher?
  • Ghost Rider??
  • Deadpool???
  • maybe Winter Soldier (like someone mentioned, he could be the Rick Flagg of the team)

White Vision and Moon Knight (Jake Lockley personality) seem like possibilities, too

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Thinking about the team. USAgent, Taskmaster, Yelena Widow, Ghost and Zemo are the ones that have already been introduced. Punisher is a possibility considering Daredevil's inclusion in the MCU (the same could extend to Elektra but her status is more ambiguous).
General Ross is the obvious one in the modern day but his actor died so that's a bit tricky. I suppose they could have him become Red Hulk off-screen, and then they just need a voice actor, like how they brought Red Skull back without Weaving. Or they might sub in Abomination, that seems likely considering his return in She-Hulk.
As for unintroduced characters, Ghost Rider would be a good one. Rumors continue to swirl about that character recently. And it's yet to be seen if Deadpool with have any interaction with the main MCU, that's a peculiar case that I'm not holding my breath for.
Winter Solider and Hawkeye have both been associated with the team but they feel unlikely to me based on their current associations, Bucky maybe in the realm of possibility.

• USAgent
  • Yelena
  • Zemo
  • Ghost
  • Abomination
  • Punisher?
  • Ghost Rider??
  • Deadpool???
  • maybe Winter Soldier (like someone mentioned, he could be the Rick Flagg of the team)

Justin Hammer has been rumored from day 1 of this rumor

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS

• USAgent
  • Yelena
  • Zemo
  • Ghost
  • Abomination
  • Punisher?
  • Ghost Rider??
  • Deadpool???
I think no Yelena personally, her connection to de Fontaine is kind of over now that she's knows Hawkguy isn't actually a bad dude.

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Zemo
Agent - Cap
Hammer - Iron Man
Yelena - Widow
Abomination - Hulk
Punisher - Hawkeye
Ghost

Zemo, Ghost, Abomination and Hammer were the first names mentioned when this stuff leaked.

Yelenda will definitely leave

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Zemo
Agent - Cap
Hammer - Iron Man
Yelena - Widow
Abomination - Hulk
Punisher - Hawkeye
Ghost

Zemo, Ghost, Abomination and Hammer were the first names mentioned when this stuff leaked.

Yelenda will definitely leave

If they want Hammer involved but want someone else in the suit seems like we may be getting Zeke Stane soon. I think Hammer will play a role similar to Osborn but he wont be like Iron Patriot or something

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

• USAgent
  • Yelena
  • Zemo
  • Ghost
  • Abomination
  • Punisher?
  • Ghost Rider??
  • Deadpool???

Another possibility that came to mind for the "characters who haven't been introduced yet" would be "Freedom Force" characters - from when the Brotherhood worked for a government beaurocrat named Val. Specifically, Mystique could be a good fit.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Or they'll just recast. No need to get tied in knots like this.

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
If they want Hammer involved but want someone else in the suit seems like we may be getting Zeke Stane soon. I think Hammer will play a role similar to Osborn but he wont be like Iron Patriot or something

Oh my bad, that's right. I heard Zeke's kid is going to be in a few things. Makes more sense.

I'm still pinching myself that they chose a movie route for this, not a show. Unreal to me it's really, really happening. MCU has come so far to make this even possible. Unlike SS, we already met these characters too and some, a couple of times.

I remember Thunderbolts first issue. And that last page reveal. It was the big watercooler chatter for a good while in the comic shops/hangouts.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Well, according to one of our own members, this MIGHT be the team roster:

Deadpool
Punisher
US Agent
Taskmaster
Red Hulk
Yelena
Zemo

That team would be really cool but I feel like everyone's specialties are kinda similar bar one and the 'power level' is kinda low. Though I guess that wouldn't matter if they're supposed to be on the down low.

White Vision and Moon Knight (Jake Lockley personality) seem like possibilities, too

That would fix the above problem.

I think no Yelena personally, her connection to de Fontaine is kind of over now that she's knows Hawkguy isn't actually a bad dude.

Yeah I feel like it'd be hard to get her in unless she's, like, a mole or something?

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I want Zemo to be a member of the team and be totally kickass, and then when they finally complete the mission and the third act of the movie is winding down, there's suddenly a surprise fourth act and one by one all the members of the team die in a sudden, The Departed style shock ending until only Zemo is left remaining because every single twist and turn that happened in the movie was something he orchestrated to accomplish the mission, kill the villains and set up all his superpowered teammates to die, because goddammit he's a man with convictions, and all superheroes must die.

Last edited:

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want Zemo to be a member of the team and be totally kickass, and then when they finally completely the mission and the third act of the movie is winding down, there's suddenly a surprise fourth act and one by one all the members of the team die in a sudden, The Departed style shock ending until only Zemo is left remaining because every single twist and turn that happened in the movie was something he orchestrated to accomplish the mission, kill the villains and set up all his superpowered teammates to die, because goddammit he's a man with convictions, and all superheroes must die.
There's no way they'd do that...

...but that sounds sick lol

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The original source is Deadline and they mention some other tidbits.

Not much is known about the plot of film other than it revolves around a group of villains who are sent on missions commissioned by the government. Another element that remains vague is which characters will be part of this team since the film is technically still is in development, though sources say Marvel has been in touch with certain individuals who already are part of the MCU to make sure to keep an opening in their schedules for next summer when it shoots.

That said, some of the characters who could potentially be appearing in the film include Baron Zemo, Yelena Belova, Ghost, Taskmaster, The Abomination, US Agent and the Winter Soldier. General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross is also a possibility since he is the person in the comics who assembles the first team — hence the name — but that is unconfirmed as no deal for any actor has closed.

While the town has been buzzing about The Fantastic Four directing search quietly , which has only begun meeting potential candidates, the studio has been focused on Thunderbolts ODA, and according to insiders, Schreier's presentation in recent weeks blew away execs and ultimately landed him the job.

deadline.com

Marvel’s ‘Thunderbolts’ Movie Taps Jake Schreier As Director

Marvel's top secret Thunderbolts movie looks to have gained momentum as Deadline has learned that Jake Schreier is set as director of the new Marvel tentpole.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I've been feeling pretty confident that they'll be going the Dark Avengers route for a while now, but I am starting to feel a lot less sure on who will be in the line up since they can go so many directions with this and have a good number of options. I kind of hope that we learn the lineup sooner than later.

My personal hopes:
Support team-
Zemo as reluctant strategic leader
Taskmaster as trainer of the team
Justin Hammer as tech supplier

U.S. Agent as field leader
Bucky
Yelena
Abomination
Ghost
Namor just because I feel they need another powerful character, but I'm not sure who else might fit.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

deadline.com

Marvel's top secret Thunderbolts movie looks to have gained momentum as Deadline has learned that Jake Schreier is set as director of the new Marvel tentpole.
Except it wasn't Ross who assembled the first team in the comics and the name had nothing to do with him. Love when these comic "experts" that use their "expertise" to legitimize their position of being in the know have no clue what the fuck they are talking about.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

deadline.com

Thunderbolt Ross didn't assemble the original team, Zemo did. Ross had nothing to do with the OG Thunderbolts, they weren't a government team, they were straight up a new super hero team that showed up because The Avengers and F4 were "dead", until the reveal they were the Masters of Evil in disguise.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You're focusing on the wrong thing. The Hollywood trades are not known for getting their comic lore right. Their known for having info fed to them by the studios directly or through reliable sources. Ignore their incorrect comic lore.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thunderbolt Ross didn't assemble the original team, Zemo did. Ross had nothing to do with the OG Thunderbolts, they weren't a government team, they were straight up a new super hero team that showed up because The Avengers and F4 were "dead", until the reveal they were the Masters of Evil in disguise.

They even popped up in other books before their first issue.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You're focusing on the wrong thing. The Hollywood trades are not known for getting their comic lore right. Their known for having info fed to them by the studios directly or through reliable sources. Ignore their incorrect comic lore.
Nope. First off a lot of these trades not named Variety or entertainment weekly while they get more right than straight rags still do a lot of guessing that turns out wrong but get millions of defenders because they are "experts".

More importantly half the arguments about comics on the internet stem from this kind of erroneous information, leading to situations where people who have never read a comic in the first place 1. Argue with people who are hardcore comic fans and act as if they cannot be wrong/have superior knowledge because they read an article on deadline (as an example) and "those columnists are experts" 2. Is a lot of where fan speculation/theories leads to the Wandavision Mephisto bull or " there will be a twist and Kamala is really an inhuman" nonsense that is usually spread and propagated by people that have never read a comic and think they know more because they read an article on the lore that was also full of misinformation.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
White Vision is a possible powerhouse.
Maybe.

I didn't know if White Vision may care to get involved in matters like this, especially after getting manipulated by SWORD and since Vision really can't be controlled or manipulated in the same way as others without straight up erasing his memories, but then I did think that in the same way that original Vision concluded that superheroes need oversight and went along with the Accords, I could see White Vision maybe coming to a similar conclusion. I kind of doubt it, but maybe. I mean, Zemo doesn't seem like he'd get involved either.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The official team will probably debut in New World Order first

And then the movie will add a few more members
Interesting thought. So whether or not the film is about Red Skull's New World Order, it could include some of the Thunderbolts. It would also give the film's title a double meaning (you know, with the government still not loving Sam Wilson and still installing its own lackeys). I like that idea.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting thought. So whether or not the film is about Red Skull's New World Order, it could include some of the Thunderbolts. It would also give the film's title a double meaning (you know, with the government still not loving Sam Wilson and still installing its own lackeys). I like that idea.
Makes me wonder who the villain of Cap 4 is going to be, are we getting Sin or a new Red Skull? or even the Serpent Society? Grand Director? Americops? There's so many characters that could fit the New World Order gimmick.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing it's Thunderbolts v Young Avengers and it's huge ensemble mixup

Im kind of hoping it starts with different individual heroes trying to stop thunderbolts and so they just naturally form as the young heroes keep trying to stop them and run into each other and form the young avengers.

Unless of course they just never do young avengers…