• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
Wonder Man is the latest Marvel superhero to get the screen treatment.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings filmmaker Destin Daniel Cretton has teamed up with Andrew Guest, a writer-producer on comedies such as Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Community, to tackle a live-action series featuring the longtime Marvel character.
Guest will serve as head writer of the series, while Cretton will exec produce and possibly direct an episode or more. Cretton is working via his overall deal with Marvel Studios, signed late last year in the glow of Shang-Chi's success.

Development for what is being titled Wonder Man is in the early stages, but if things crackle, cameras could be rolling in 2023.
Wonder Man is one of Marvel's oldest characters, first introduced in 1964 in the pages of Avengers No 9. He was initially a villain and only appeared sporadically in the early Marvel Age, until being reconceived as a hero (and Avenger) in the late 1970s.

In the 1980s the character really came into his own. Known as Simon Williams, he was a founding member of the Los Angeles-based West Coast Avengers and, with a look that included a turtleneck, a red jacket and sunglasses, became a celebrity thanks to his day job as an actor and stuntman.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Marvel Developing ‘Wonder Man’ Series With Destin Daniel Cretton, Andrew Guest (Exclusive)

The 'Shang-Chi' filmmaker is teaming with the 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' and 'Community' scribe, who will serve as head writer.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I Wonder how this is going to turn out. I don't actually know anything about Wonder Man other than the name so I'm excited!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're still gonna use Nathan Fillion or recast the part with someone else.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
YOOOOO I love Simon. Introduce the X-Men already so we can finally get a Wonder-Man/Beast show.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
lol everyone assumed this was going to be a Ten Rings show. Wonder Man, now that's a random pull.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Destin is a made man with Marvel now

He'll get his run of the lot

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Put Ares in the show!

herculesares15.jpg

(Actually just do an Ares show.)

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Definitely not what I expected out of Destin Daniel Cretton's Disney+ show but it should be entertaining.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They should do this in a Superior Foes of Spider-Man tone to show the character the respect he deserves.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
A West Coast Avengers series or film would have to be in the works for after this then, wouldn't it? We'll have US Agent, War Machine (if he lives past Armor Wars), Wanda and Vision, and more by the time.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not at all what I expected Cretton's project to be. I can see Wonder Man carrying a show if they go kind of goofy with it, superhero actor comedy... like Entourage with more punching. I assumed he was in the scrap heap, since they've already cleared away most the characters around him - Vision, Scarlet Witch, the West Coast Avengers in general...

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
screen_shot_2017-04-21_at_11.11.51_am_-_h_2017.jpg

wandavision-episode-2-animated-opening-grim-reaper-helmet.png

Nearly already appeared in a GotG2 scene. Plus his brother was in a Wandavision intro which... never came up weirdly.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I could see it working both ways.

But if they're going the classic route and having him hang out with Scarlet Witch (love interest) he's probably too old.

I don't think Wanda's coming back from Strange 2. Not enough to have a replacement love interest to Vision. That arc is gone.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
I could see it working both ways.

But if they're going the classic route and having him hang out with Scarlet Witch (love interest) he's probably too old.
They are the Shang-Chi director (Destin) and the writer / producer of Brooklyn 99 (Andrew). We don't have an Wonder Man just yet. I do wonder who could play him tho. My vote would be Steven Yeun.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Lol

She's coming back

That's not what I mean. Obviously the character will be used again.

But as a character, there's no coming back for her from what she did in WV and Strange 2. She's passed the point of no return now, she's not just going to get a new love interest and be treated like a regular hero again. At best she'll show up as an uneasy ally in a team-up flick and then disappear again. The best thing you're gonna get is a reconciliation with White Vision before she's written out and even that isn't a guarantee.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This has potential, Wonder Man is a pretty versatile character with a role in a lot of Marvel history

They are the Shang-Chi director (Destin) and the writer / producer of Brooklyn 99 (Andrew). We don't have an Wonder Man just yet. I do wonder who could play him tho. My vote would be Steven Yeun.

Yeah I'd love this tbh. He needs an in to the MCU lol

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020

But as a character, there's no coming back for her from what she did in WV and Strange 2. She's passed the point of no return now, she's not just going to get a new love interest and be treated like a regular hero again. At best she'll show up as an uneasy ally in a team-up flick and then disappear again. The best thing you're gonna get is a reconciliation with White Vision before she's written out and even that isn't a guarantee.

Ohhhh I understand now. Sorry

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Hell yeah, get Grim Reaper and his stupid hat in here.

Weird to do Wonder Man after Vision's basically out of the picture, though. I wonder if they'll retcon in a relation or just ignore it.

I have no real fondness for the character, so now's your chance to make me like him, Marvel!

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Apparently there's a time in comuc where Wanda is presumed dead and later found living peacefully in a remote village with no memory of who she was. While I'm not a fan of amnesia plot in stories in general, I really think this is probably what we'll see Wanda next, and if she had no memory, she can start fresh and could have new romance with Wonder Man

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Whaaa, random but one of my fave marvel characters and his modern look is something they can keep without changes so I'm in. Wonder who they'll cast.

Yeah best way to do it is play on the comedy of he's an actor that got energy powers and invulnerability but is scared of death(and skip the Tony rival businessman part). So much you can do with that

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Apparently there's a time in comuc where Wanda is presumed dead and later found living peacefully in a remote village with no memory of who she was. While I'm not a fan of amnesia plot in stories in general, I really think this is probably what we'll see Wanda next, and if she had no memory, she can start fresh and could have new romance with Wonder Man

She remembers pretty quickly once they start using her again. They could not do that here, but in comics that was mostly an excuse for why she was alive but not in use for awhile.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
dammit, thanks for the spoiler!

It's more just that there's really not a way to reconcile her arc from the comics with how she's been portrayed in the MCU. Vision's gone, etc. You can't just start using her as Wonder Man's Girlfriend when her power has progressed as far as it has. She's going to be a focus of her own story or she won't be used at all.

Feb 16, 2022
WOOO! I've been waiting for this. Simon deserves to be one of the MCU's biggest hitter. Bendis really did him dirty in the comics. Fantastic team behind it, too.

They were talking about Nathan Fillion, who was cast as Simon in GotG Vol. 2, not Destin or Andrew.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going for superhero comedy show they have to keep Nathan Fillion please please please it would be so good

also can we not have unmarked Dr Strange 2 spoilers please, the movie is out on Disney+ in less than a week we're so close ):

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So he's a Hollywood type? Marvel's Johnny Cage?

Basically. He's a film actor and stuntman who moonlights as a hero.

Wow. I'd have guessed he was 7-12 years younger.

He must take incredibly good care of himself. I never would've guessed he was 53, but the more I think about it the more sense it makes - the State was ages ago. He was popping up in Reno 911 episodes almost two decades ago.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
They were talking about Nathan Fillion, who was cast as Simon in GotG Vol. 2, not Destin or Andrew.
I love Nathan Fillion but he clearly isn't the right part for this. Steven Yeun getting ripped to play a Marvel hero that is also a Hollywood star and hangs out with Kingo, Wanda and She-Hulk though? Now we are talking.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

Nah, there's just no basis for this. There are volumes of precedent in comics for characters doing awful shit, getting a redemption arc and being heroes again. There are numerous examples for this one character, hell there are multiple examples for the specific scenario of her being separated from her children. She remains one of the most popular MCU characters and I think it's far more likely than not that they will do this as long as Elizabeth Olsen wants to do it. There will be "but what about Westview" and "but what about Kamar-Taj" gripes which they will calmly lampshade while her millions of fans cackle all the way to the theater to see the team movie with Wanda multiple times.

Feb 16, 2022
I love Nathan Fillion but he clearly isn't the right part for this. Steven Yeun getting ripped to play a Marvel hero that is also a Hollywood star and hangs out with Kingo, Wanda and She-Hulk though? Now we are talking.
Depends on the version they're going with, as Fillion fits right in with the "superhero past his prime and now working as a Hollywood actor" version lol. But the point was, if they were to go with Fillion again, he'd be too old to pair with Wanda, but that's also if they paired them up. Two big ifs, basically.

I'd love to see Steven Yeun in the MCU, but I can't see him as Simon tbh. I'm actually having a hard time picturing anyone at all for now.