• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like this might be a situation similar to the Edgar Wright dropout. It seemed Feige wanted at least two Disney+ shows to tie-in to MoM, and with setting up the multiverse, it might not have given Derrickson the freedom he wanted.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, hey.

That's a bit of damper, considering how much time he put in and how excited he was to helm it.

I wonder if "Loki" tying into this film is the straw that broke the camel's back.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Well, that's sad. I wasn't really impressed with what Derrickson did with the first one, but this isn't inspiring much confidence either.

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A few weeks ago Derrickson tweeted something like "studio release dates are the enemy of art" so I'm pretty sure the dude just wasn't feeling comfortable in that environment.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Losing Derrickson isn't that bad, Dr.Strange requires a director with vastly more vision and crazy shit than what he's delivered.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I remember him tweeting this in December and thinking it was quite strange.

Yep, there were definitely warning signs of this.
Dude probably wanted more time to develop the movie, But Feige can't allow it.
And with how the MCU is structured now, production schedules are ramped up faster than ever.
It's a double edged sword with what they are doing right now, trying to connect everything together for real this time.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The derrickson/Dr. Strange 2 thread is going as well as expected with all the same annoying passive aggressive trolls

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how far into production Leigh Whannell is on Escape From New York. Cause if it's not too late, give him a call Feige! Depending on how The Invisible Man shakes out, get my man a comic book movie. His boy James Wan got that DC money, let him get his!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The original Doctor Strange is really weak, and one of my least favorite MCU movies. But Derrickson seemed really passionate about the property and has been talking about the sequel for years now. With the wheels already in motion, I can't imagine the movie being better off without him.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
The original Doctor Strange is really weak, and one of my least favorite MCU movies. But Derrickson seemed really passionate about the property and has been talking about the sequel for years now. With the wheels already in motion, I can't imagine the movie being better off without him.
The same was said after Ant-Man 1. It did work out thanks to Reed's ideas mixed with the original script. I wonder if Cargill will jump ship with Scott.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The same was said after Ant-Man 1. It did work out thanks to Reed's ideas mixed with the original script. I wonder if Cargill will jump ship with Scott.

The Ant-Mans are both like, bottom five MCU movies for me - the only thing I really like is the casting, which was from the Wright era. So that's not encouraging lol

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how far into production Leigh Whannell is on Escape From New York. Cause if it's not too late, give him a call Feige! Depending on how The Invisible Man shakes out, get my man a comic book movie. His boy James Wan got that DC money, let him get his!
Hold up a second. Whannell's next film after Invisible Man is an Escape From New York remake?

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
In other news...

New on set pics of The Eternals:

rmkavecv3y941.jpg

They're shooting on location in the UK

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those who wanted Scott Derrickson out after Doctor Strange, but I'm bummed seeing him go, as he was passionate about finally playing with the horror and gothic elements that drew him to the character and his mythology in the first place.

And Eternals' gonna be fire.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
God, Gemma Chan is one of the most beautiful women i've ever seen. Glad she was given a chance to come back into the MCU and actually be a real character.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
The last two times we've had late director switches in the MCU were Ant-Man and Thor 2, which I would view as the two weakest entries. The last two times Disney/LucasArts did it for Star Wars were Solo and Episode 9, both of which were maligned and had disappointing performances. The odds of this being great are very low. With that said, I think it could still be decent or maybe even good. If not, hopefully we get a recovery for the third entry like with Thor Ragnarok.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
What do we think about New Mutants short lived entry into the MCU? I tend to be of the "unless Fiege says it's canon, it's not canon" and they aren't going to introduce mutants into the MCU through a movie they didn't make.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Exactly. There never was even a 0.1% chance that New Mutants would be part of the MCU. Even if mutants were already fully introduced to the MCU. Feige is not going to let an external movie dictate part of the MCU's story, characters and casting. There's just no chance, even if the movie would be a veritable masterpiece. Hell, there's a bigger chance you'll see someone from AoS showing up in the movies, and the chances for that are already as close to zero as possible.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Talking about non-Marvel-Studios-produced movies making it into the MCU, what you guys think are the chances that the Deadpool movies are retroactively incorporated into the MCU, given Ryan Reynolds' recent comments that they're working on Deadpool 3 under Marvel Studios?

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Talking about non-Marvel-Studios-produced movies making it into the MCU, what you guys think are the chances that the Deadpool movies are retroactively incorporated into the MCU, given Ryan Reynolds' recent comments that they're working on Deadpool 3 under Marvel Studios?
With Deadpool being as meta as it is, I'd say retroactively incorporating the first two into the MCU doesn't really mean anything. They were in a different continuity, the Fox one, and retroactively saying that that was MCU doesn't really do anything (except, perhaps, incorporating all the Fox X-Men into the MCU). He's quite able to stand outside continuity, or, simply stand within his own continuity. I still think the connections between Deadpool 3 (and onwards) and the MCU are going to be mostly one sided. Deadpool will make jokes about being the MCU, there will be cameos from MCU characters, but.. I just don't really see Deadpool crossing over into another MCU movie. Perhaps it's partially because I wouldn't like Deadpool's fourth wall breaking in any other MCU movie. But, since we 'know' Deadpool will stay R-rated, I'm still wondering if that might be another reason not to associate Deadpool with the rest of the MCU too closely. We'll see, I guess.
Now, whether Deadpool will bring his supporting cast with him, and if so, who.. that's a good question. I could see him being the only one to make the jump (perhaps with the old lady and the taxi driver), but, it'll be fun to see what they choose to do and how they'll do it.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
New Falcon and Winter Soldier pics with Bucky, Sharon and Zemo

Love the comic accurate Zemo costume.

EN_V-oLXsAIxpfj

Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So there's word Hawkeye has been postponed but I dunno how true the source is and the link is busted.

Status
Not open for further replies.