• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
....Well you can't just drop that without even suggesting more what happened 😂

Nothing really happened, the few impressions out there so far are basically just happily saying "It's like the first one!"

This is mostly just me bummed that society has forgotten what a massive dumpster fire the first movie actually was

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I didn't hate Venom but it was pretty forgettable. I went with a bunch of friends and the rest liked it; its good enough for normies. Not really interested in seeing the sequel. I wish it was November already so I can see Eternals.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I've brought it up before but Venom felt like a relic of the early 2000s with modern CGI. Writing-wise the only thing that worked was the dynamic between Eddie and Venom and even then it's overboard cartoony (and in a bad way). I enjoyed what I could but there really wasn't anything to actually chew on and my old-school comic nerd dad straight-up fucking hated it and the both of us have been dreading this Carnage movie.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's not even about the movie, there's something about Tom Hardy that makes me fall asleep. I noticed the connection a while ago when I looked at the list of movies I've fallen asleep to the last few years. All of them had one thing in common, Tom Hardy.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I shouldn't have read those spoilers on the last page lol

I think I can get Venom on one of the services I have access to, I wasn't planning on going to Venom 2 either

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Someone alerted me to some potential NWH spoilers and...

They said Tobey's Peter has a daughter.

Is this bullshit or has this been known? I might actually have to watch this if true.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've not been a fan of the live-action Spider-Verse premise since rumors first circulated for similar reasons. The MCU finally brings in the Sinister Six and it comprises mostly if not entirely of non-MCU villains that MCU Spidey has no history with? It always felt and in many ways still feels like fanfiction, for better and for worse. At least the actual premise of it spiraling from OMD/OMIT makes it feel less random.

NWH was always going to be to some degree fandom indulgence - it's literally a crossover between the three live-action Spider-Man franchises. Might as well include Hardy's Venom and go all the way with it, as far as I see it. Wouldn't be the first time Tobey's seen a symbiote, lol.
Yeah, it does technically lessen the impact of getting s Sinister 6 when none of them seem to be MCU villains (a crying shame when the MCU has an excellent Mysterio and Vulture).
I can see it from either side to be honest. On the one hand as mentioned above Im not a fan by the lack of MCU villains included, especially as I badly want mainstay Ock and Osborn characters in the MCU proper. Plus its going to feel like Tom is going to share his screen time with other Spidey's... wont full feel like his own movie but rather a big crossover event.

That said... its going to be a big crossover event and that's going to get me excited purely on a fanboy level. Im rewatching the Spidey movies across all three series in prep and I really love Green Goblin in the original movie. I still think its going to be a mess in many ways, but I cant help but be excited just to see the action on screen even if it'll be a mess.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Trolling over multiple posts, history of similar behavior
Venom 2 ends with the symbiote licking the picture of a 16 year-old boy, and there is a thread in Etc. where many people are excited by this.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like Venom 2 went full Riverdale. Whether you like this or not may vary.

Don't be surprised if the movie ends up doing really well*.

* Relative to the times we're in, of course.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Venom 2 ends with the symbiote licking the picture of a 16 year-old boy, and there is a thread in Etc. where many people are excited by this.

It kinda just dawned on me that "getting a proper Venom" means having a Venom that's big, burly, nasty, wants to eat people, and doesn't look at all like a total fuccboi like Topher Grace. That's our bar.

The whole year's been a real through-the-looking-glass event for me. The way people bitched about the Mandarin and Bohner twists and the lack of Mephisto, of course people are salivating at Venom. Give people 100%-accurate comic book corniness and they'll do whatever backflips you need them to do. The same threads already have people cheering for a "return" of 2000s-era crapshoots in contrast to the "sterility" of the MCU machine.

I sound salty af but if anything it's been sobering getting a sense of where the bar for expectations really lies. The MCU is by no means high-art but I've come to really respect the level of care that goes into it, a level that's clearly significantly more than is expected. And it's not like I don't get fanboy hype to all the upcoming things myself. And I probably would've preferred a more by-the-book Taskmaster myself too.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
And I probably would've preferred a more by-the-book Taskmaster myself too.
With how good Marvel/Disney are usually with at least giving a villain a good setpiece, this one hurts so much. Aside from completely butchering the character from a comic accurate point of view, the movie version doesnt even really get any big setpieces to really show off how badass their powers are in a fight. I could have taken the bastardisation of the comic accuracy if the action was actually good...
Oh well, at least the new Black Widow is amazing.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
With how good Marvel/Disney are usually with at least giving a villain a good setpiece, this one hurts so much. Aside from completely butchering the character from a comic accurate point of view, the movie version doesnt even really get any big setpieces to really show off how badass their powers are in a fight. I could have taken the bastardisation of the comic accuracy if the action was actually good...
Oh well, at least the new Black Widow is amazing.

For the most part agreed, but at the same time Taskmaster is probably the most blatant case of the MCU taking advantage of it's shared universe. They can afford to do a character "wrong" just to "fix" them down the line. And everything around Taskmaster comes off as the name being forced in by executive meddling.

It will take time and we don't know how it'll be done but Taskmaster will likely be fixed eventually.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
For the most part agreed, but at the same time Taskmaster is probably the most blatant case of the MCU taking advantage of it's shared universe. They can afford to do a character "wrong" just to "fix" them down the line. And everything around Taskmaster comes off as the name being forced in by executive meddling.

It will take time and we don't know how it'll be done but Taskmaster will likely be fixed eventually.
Here's hoping. I get the feeling the character will be used again in the future. Also, nit pick, but I want a better outfit... I have always, and still hate that weird biker helmet look.

But I suppose my other issue is, I really love comic Task Masters personality and interactions with certain characters - namely Deadpool. I'll be sad that we wont get such a thing in the MCU...

Oct 31, 2017

Hope so. I'm still salty at that.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I would not pin your hopes on "oh, they can just get the *right* version from another universe" on any character, because that would instantly cheapen a: the extant character, such as in taskmaster, or b: completely invalidate the death of the original. Neither of which, I would bet, marvel studios wants to do. They'd be insane to open the door to "oh, so and so just got killed. Guess we'll see their multiversal variant in the next film." You people complain about a lack of stakes, imagine how it'd be in they could just replace 'em with a carbon copy from a different universe? (no, loki isn't a carbon copy)

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm gonna assume Black Widow spoilers are fair game. Shang-Chi's already been out nearly a month, it should all be fair game.

Here's hoping. I get the feeling the character will be used again in the future. Also, nit pick, but I want a better outfit... I have always, and still hate that weird biker helmet look.

But I suppose my other issue is, I really love comic Task Masters personality and interactions with certain characters - namely Deadpool. I'll be sad that we wont get such a thing in the MCU...

The MCU hasn't exactly been 100% accurate with character interactions but I'd say they've done a real solid job doing their own things.

On that note I could still see an MCU Deadpool/Taskmaster "relationship" but one that's more similar to the "relationship" between Deadpool and Domino. Especially if they straight-up import Zazie Beetz's take from Deadpool 2, who has a far different vibe due to her being more carefree.

Too much of the Taskmaster aesthetic feels tacked-on and underused for it to be a coincidence. The name only pops up off-hands once, the personality is completely nonexistent (due to Antonia being brainwashed), the adaptive superpowers are severely underplayed even accounting for the movie half-ass explaining them as tech-based, even Taskmaster's typical sword-and-shield combat style is barely used. It's to the point that this easiest way to improve her is for her to not be Taskmaster, which would at least resolve the weight of expectations coming in.

MCU Taskmaster actually shares quite a few notable similarities with the minor villain Recluse, which only further suggests to me that the character had to be Taskmaster, likely assuaged by franchise confidence that the kinks could be worked out in time.

I would not pin your hopes on "oh, they can just get the *right* version from another universe" on any character, because that would instantly cheapen a: the extant character, such as in taskmaster, or b: completely invalidate the death of the original. Neither of which, I would bet, marvel studios wants to do. They'd be insane to open the door to "oh, so and so just got killed. Guess we'll see their multiversal variant in the next film." You people complain about a lack of stakes, imagine how it'd be in they could just replace 'em with a carbon copy from a different universe? (no, loki isn't a carbon copy)

To be clear, I'm not advocating for this, and I actually really do not like it myself. I really don't like how quickly the nerd conversation has gravitated towards exploiting the multiverse as a gumball machine that they can pop out refreshed versions of characters from after the old ones got used up. I especially don't like it as an attempt at justifying recasts in-universe, as if that is a thing that seriously needs to be worried about.

My comments on Taskmaster are about the version we already have. She spends 99% of the movie brainwashed as an emotionless killing machine, it deserves attention but Antonia Dreykov could be retooled into something more resembling Tony Masters, plus might as well take full advantage of casting Olga Kurylenko.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
To be clear, I'm not advocating for this, and I actually really do not like it myself. I really don't like how quickly the nerd conversation has gravitated towards exploiting the multiverse as a gumball machine that they can pop out refreshed versions of characters from after the old ones got used up. I especially don't like it as an attempt at justifying recasts in-universe, as if that is a thing that seriously needs to be worried about.

My comments on Taskmaster are about the version we already have. She spends 99% of the movie brainwashed as an emotionless killing machine, it deserves attention but Antonia Dreykov could be retooled into something more resembling Tony Masters, plus might as well take full advantage of casting Olga Kurylenko.

I can certainly agree with retooling her into something resembling the comic taskmaster. What I was objecting to was tossing her, and just plucking a tony masters from another universe. I apologize for misunderstanding what you were saying.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned my ideas for Taskmaster in the future somewhere, I can't remember if it was this topic or not, but here goes:

Antonia opens up a shelter for runaway girls where she trains them to defend themselves, a take on the Taskmaster academy. To support this shelter she turns to mercenary work as "The Taskmaster" as she figures it's the only thing she's good at. To sell herself as the Taskmaster she uses a voice modulator to make her voice sound deep and masculine and invents a cocky personality based on action movie characters (having been mind controlled for decades she's not really clear what her real personality is and her mimicry abilities let her pick up traits that she sees). She also starts going by "Toni" and changes her last name to Masters.

She can appear in Deadpool 3. Like maybe Deadpool is lost after getting dumped in a new universe without his supporting cast and tries to partner up with her or something.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Too much of the Taskmaster aesthetic feels tacked-on and underused for it to be a coincidence. The name only pops up off-hands once, the personality is completely nonexistent (due to Antonia being brainwashed), the adaptive superpowers are severely underplayed even accounting for the movie half-ass explaining them as tech-based, even Taskmaster's typical sword-and-shield combat style is barely used. It's to the point that this easiest way to improve her is for her to not be Taskmaster, which would at least resolve the weight of expectations coming in.
Could be, but I don't see how that points to executive meddling. It just seems that character was underused and undercooked. I agree that it's quite probable that it didn't start out as being Taskmaster, but during the writing process they thought it was a nice fit. Kind of like how Monica wasn't envisioned as being in WandaVision, but when she did enter the picture, she fit in a part they had already been writing.

I just don't really see how that's executive meddling is all. For all we know it's one of the writers proposing that this villian they've been trying to create from Antonia could well be Taskmaster.

Unless you're saying they might've wanted Taskmaster to be introduced here for her to appear in a future project, like Thunderbolts or something. I guess I could see it be that kind of executive meddling.

Anyway, I agree there's ample room for them to flesh out and breathe life into this Taskmaster in future appearances, if they want to.

She also starts going by "Toni" and changes her last name to Masters.
A bit on the nose?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really do think you should wait for some of these movies to hit D+ before you go open season on spoilers. (Obviously not counting premium access.)

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
The OP rule of waiting one week for open spoilers on movies seems fine to me. It'd be a bit silly to talk about the D+ shows openly one week after each episode but keep spoiler tags for movies for two months.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
The OP rule of waiting one week for open spoilers on movies seems fine to me. It'd be a bit silly to talk about the D+ shows openly one week after each episode but keep spoiler tags for movies for two months.

Shows are a bit more accessible than movies, but I tend to agree with you, two months is a long time to wait before open spoilers.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The pandemic is still a thing. Not all of us feel comfortable going to a theater. (You can make the argument that Black Widow was on premiere access during that time, but that doesn't apply to Shang-Chi and won't apply to Eternals and everything else that follows.)

Status
Not open for further replies.