• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nakia over Shuri or hell, the actual best warrior Okoye (an easy justification for training Shuri btw), is just ugh, talk about random as hell

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Shuri doing the challenge ritual. The central place where it is decided who will be the Black Panther. Is there anyone she could beat without weapons? Again, she's not a warrior. Sure, she can fight with her technology, which is useful in battle. But the Black Panther is presented as a 'warrior shaman' whose initiating ritual is a hand to hand fight against any challenger. That won't end well for her, if she'd try (which I don't think she'd even want).
Well thankfully there are those ancient Wakandan scriptures that dictate that a Black Panther can be secretly chosen in a time of crisis without an initiation combat ritual

But this whole semantics doesn't matter because the herb is basically like super soldier serum. Even if she wasn't a combatant before (which she already is), she'd be an expert fighter afterwards

Cut to spiritual plane training where she learns the ways of the warrior from generations of past Panther, "I know kung fu"-style

Nakia over Shuri or hell, the actual best warrior Okoye (an easy justification for training Shuri btw), is just ugh, talk about random as hell
I do think Nakia is the best choice for successor though

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just in practical, in-universe terms, Wakanda is a hereditary monarchy, and T'Challa and Shuri are, to our knowledge, the only living members. Assuming male preference primogeniture, Shuri is next in line as leader of the Golden Tribe. Upon her coronation, other tribe leaders (who could be elected or hereditary or whatever, they don't even have names) could challenge, so in theory you could have the Golden Tribe deposed for the first time since the founding of the kingdom, but narratively that would be kind of a tough sell since the Golden Tribe has ruled for literally 10,000 years.

Of course, T'Chaka could have other children, or other siblings, who could also have a claim, just as Killmonger did. Interestingly, to our knowledge he would have been second in line after Shuri anyways. And Marvel can just make up whatever rules they want, even if they contradict what we saw in the first movie.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
I think while it will be hard to find a replacement who can anywhere near fill his shoes, but I think the right thing is to recast the role. While there are characters like Nakia and Shuri who could take over in the long run, like what seems to be happening with their other characters (Cap, Black Widow), shifting focus over to them now feels premature, and would still not solve the issue of explaining where T'Challa is, in a satisfying manner.

Personally, they should take a couple of years to firstly find another actor, who is ideally relatively unknown, and secondly rework the script to incorporate themes of legacy into the film, and lastly tribute the film to Chadwick and have it open with a small film talking about his legacy, and an introduction from the new actor talking about Chadwick and the shoes he is filling. They can maybe also share a portion of the film's proceeds to an appropriate charity.

Essentially I think its unlikely Chadwick, who poured as much charisma and love into the character as he did, would want it to end with him. Better in my mind to pass the torch and huge opportunity to someone else deserving.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do think Nakia is the best choice for successor though

I can't agree when Shuri and Okoye are the ones the general audience is most familiar with, and therefore would be the easiest to swallow. They also have much better in-universe reasoning with Shuri being royalty, while Okoye is the best warrior in Wakanda without superpowers.

It's whatever in the end since I think they'll ultimately decide to recast though lol

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see Shuri take up the mantle of Black Panther at some point, but they should recast. Chadwick didn't build up the T'Challa character for black kids all over the world to look up to just for them to sideline him or get rid of him. Chadwick built the foundation and someone else can bring that forward in honor of Chad.

Cut to spiritual plane training where she learns the ways of the warrior from generations of past Panther, "I know kung fu"-style
This isn't a thing in the MCU though is it? Wasn't T'Challa trained in the normal world in the tie-in comic book.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
I'm completely sure T'Challa is getting a recast. They're never going to retire that character after just one standalone movie.

Also, (and this might be rude of me) I think that after all the hard work Chadwick put into the role, he definetly would've disagreed to simply burying the character after his passing.

I also think there's a good chance that Shuri becomes a Black Panther later on, but not just yet imo.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Looks like the MCU Spidey films may be coming to Disney+ in the near future.
www.resetera.com

Official Disney+ promotional banner in the Marvel section of shopDisney features a Spider-Man: Far From Home poster

If this isn't a fluke, I guess Disney & Sony finally reached an agreement to have the MCU Spidey films on Disney+. I'd imagine that this will also extend to Homecoming & the third MCU Spidey film (whenever that comes out) if this is the case. In case you're curious, shown below is the poster in...

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
So the newest rumor is now Echo and Mockingbird are in Hawkguy.

The Mockingbird rumor is fake. Fandomwire has no crediblity, especially after they said Peggy would appear in AoS. They just want clicks after it came out a Mockingbird show with Adrianne Palicki (a solo show, not Most Wanted) had a pilot written.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
www.resetera.com

Official Disney+ promotional banner in the Marvel section of shopDisney features a Spider-Man: Far From Home poster

If this isn't a fluke, I guess Disney & Sony finally reached an agreement to have the MCU Spidey films on Disney+. I'd imagine that this will also extend to Homecoming & the third MCU Spidey film (whenever that comes out) if this is the case. In case you're curious, shown below is the poster in...
Fantastic, love me some Far From Home. Don't think Mysterio gets enough love.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
www.resetera.com

Would be nice!

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this means that FATWS only has a few more weeks at most until filming is completely wrapped.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • Ms. Marvel's Disney+ show
  • Cassie Lang in Ant-Man 3
  • Kate Bishop in Hawkeye's Disney+ show
  • Wiccan & Speed in WandaVision
  • America Chavez in Doctor Strange 2
  • Ironheart's (rumored) Disney+ show
01a.gifv

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Makes me wonder if we'll ever get an MCU Miles. They've teased him a bit (and I'd love to see Glover back in a larger role for that story) but I'm sure the Sony stuff has them gunshy.

I think you'd really just need him, SamNova, and Patriot to "fill out" the teenage hero roster. Maybe Noh-Varr, if he counts, but he always struck me as more college age... though I'd say the same about America.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Makes me wonder if we'll ever get an MCU Miles. They've teased him a bit (and I'd love to see Glover back in a larger role for that story) but I'm sure the Sony stuff has them gunshy.

I think you'd really just need him, SamNova, and Patriot to "fill out" the teenage hero roster. Maybe Noh-Varr, if he counts, but he always struck me as more college age... though I'd say the same about America.
I doubt they're going to touch Sam anytime soon, if ever.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

My guess is we won't get Miles, Patriot will probably fill that role in the Champions/Young Avengers they're building.

I think we will get Nova, but as a Latino Richard Rider, not Sam.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I think Ms. Marvel might be the one I'm most excited for of their upcoming projects besides WandaVision and Eternals.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Reports out again today about Hailee Steinfeld confirmed as Kate Bishop, by Daniel Richtman's Patreon. She appears as 'set' on a casting sheet with Jeremy Renner.

We all just have to be patient for set photos this month really.

Last edited:

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm never going to believe that Hailee is Kate Bishop until official trades/Marvel confirms it once again or I see leaked set pictures of her.
I've been burned too many times from this...

Jamie Foxx returns as Electro in Spider-Man 3

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh, apparently Electro is in Spidey 3??????
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Spider-Man 3’ Jolt: Jamie Foxx Returning as Electro (Exclusive)

Jamie Foxx, who played classic Spidey villain Electro in the Andrew Garfield-starring The Amazing Spider-Man 2, is final talks to reprise the role for the latest Spider-Man installment,

And Jamie Foxx is returning?????

??????????????????

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So this is why today was gonna be a shocking day huh, I see what you did there.

They are going in on the multiverse in Phase 4. First with WandaVision, then Spider-Man 3, then Doctor Strange 2.

Hopefully having Electro back doesn't mean there's less of a chance at Michael Mando's Scorpion. Wonder if they are going for a Sinister Six.

Honestly, I really didn't like Electro, and I'm one of those who really loved Amazing Spider-Man 2.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
On one hand that's a unique way of getting a Sinister Six together... on the other hand, I wanted to see the MCU's take on those characters with different actors.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
What if Wanda completely snaps out if it in WandaVision opening up the fabric of the multiverse changing and mixing stuff on our prime timeline. And that's how Electro ends up in Spider-Man 3, how JJJ ended up in FFH if the show takes place after Infinity War but before Endgame, and then she's completely lost as the Scarlet Witch in Doctor Strange 2. But then again Sword is probably in WandaVision and was likely set up after Endgame or secretly before it and after Infinity War but we just didn't know about it.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be funny to do the multiverse.
"I come from another universe..."
"No you don't. That guy already tried that."
*actually does come from another universe*

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Thinking about a multiverse six some more. If they got Tobey and Andrew (and a cg Spider-Ham) that would huge.

But man... I just can't separate how bad/misused some of those characters where in their respective movies. At the very least, get the Marvel Vis Dev team to redo their look.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
If this is the direction they are going, Tobey and Andrew return could actually be a thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.