• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
www.fantasyflightgames.com

Taking the Lead

Announcing the Cyclops Hero Pack for Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Cyclops's Hero Pack was officially announced.

And damn does he look strong. Incredible Leadership cards in this pack.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
That Field Commander Upgrade combined with Exploit Weakness is strong AF. Effectively gives all the heroes +1 attack against the main villain. If he has more than one of each of his Hero Specific Tactics then wow.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
That Field Commander Upgrade combined with Exploit Weakness is strong AF. Effectively gives all the heroes +1 attack against the main villain. If he has more than one of each of his Hero Specific Tactics then wow.

It does feel like Cyclops players will very much mulligan often to get that Field Commander upgrade opening hand.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
www.fantasyflightgames.com

Rising from the Ashes

Announcing the Phoenix Hero Pack for Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Not a big fan of this pack purely because of a lot of dumb reasons, but will get it for those Justice cards mostly.

tm24

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love the vibe behind this set. Lots of cards that we've seen in villain decks to play with the theme that the Phoenix is bad news. And I love it anytime a game gives her a resurrection mechanic

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit confused about this "downside" of the unleashed version. Sure, it potentially brings in the nemesis minion, but Shadow of the Past and some recently added treachery cards in for example Mysterio's Modular also do that, so it seems like the risk is pretty minor. And then of course there are some scenarios where you remove obligations (Kang, Wrecking Crew) so then there's no downside?

Also, those events they showed where they say "it has different effects whether you're Unleashed or Restrained" confuse me too. As far as I can see it just adds effects? Like the Thwart event is "Remove four threat, then if you're Unleashed stun and confuse an enemy", so it's more like a good event becomes even better rather than having different effects?

Anyway, I do like how her cards have effects that we have seen before on enemy cards, I always like it when we are able to turn the tables like that. "No, now I'll possess a minion, fuck you Enchatress."

EDIT: Her nemesis set is absolutely brutal, I love that. I love the introduction of alternative lose conditions.

Last edited:

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely tempted to buy Spider-Ham* even not owning the Core set (or anything else). For what I understand, I could play with the deck as it comes without any issues, beyond not being as good as it could be and so, isn't it? A friend owns everything that has been published (although for some reason he won't buy this pack), so I will be covered on dials, tokens and scenarios, but modifiying the deck could be a bit tricky due logistics.

Would the default deck be decent enough for the non-hardcore difficulty levels?

*And Cyclops, to be honest.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
I'm extremely tempted to buy Spider-Ham* even not owning the Core set (or anything else). For what I understand, I could play with the deck as it comes without any issues, beyond not being as good as it could be and so, isn't it? A friend owns everything that has been published (although for some reason he won't buy this pack), so I will be covered on dials, tokens and scenarios, but modifiying the deck could be a bit tricky due logistics.

Hero packs are completely playable out of the box. So if you just wanted to buy Porker and bring that to your friend's to play, you would be totally fine

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

For standard, most default decks should work fine, although probably suboptimal. There have been examples of default decks being kind of an awkward fit with the hero though. For example, Vision's default deck contains a lot of defense cards that are totally unplayable in one of his forms.

But looking at his deck, I don't think this will be the case with Spider-Ham, I think you'll be fine.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
For standard, most default decks should work fine, although probably suboptimal. There have been examples of default decks being kind of an awkward fit with the hero though. For example, Vision's default deck contains a lot of defense cards that are totally unplayable in one of his forms.

But looking at his deck, I don't think this will be the case with Spider-Ham, I think you'll be fine.
Yeah, Vision's precon was particularly bad. I think it may have been talked about it several pages back, but that one can probably be chalked up to the defense and defend rules being different when his hero pack was designed. If that wasn't the case, then his pack is a real head scratcher. Agreed with Spider-Ham though, he looks viable straight out of the pack.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah, Vision's precon was particularly bad. I think it may have been talked about it several pages back, but that one can probably be chalked up to the defense and defend rules being different when his hero pack was designed. If that wasn't the case, then his pack is a real head scratcher. Agreed with Spider-Ham though, he looks viable straight out of the pack.
Wait what?

The rules changed?

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Wait what?

The rules changed?
Yeah, but don't worry, they've since changed back. I believe it was in the Rules Reference v1.3 version they kind of nerfed defending, but the current RR v1.4 changed it back.

The defense/defend rules under RR v1.3 would have made the Vision precon a lot stronger than it actually ended up being, but I think RR v1.4 came out before Vision was actually released. Vision has a form where he can't defend. Under 1.3 he still would've been able to use all of his defense cards because using those didn't count as defending at that time. Now they do, so he can't use those when he's in that form.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It never made sense to me that the defense events didn't work like that. Attack and thwart events count as attacking and thwarting, why wouldn't defense events count als defending?

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
It never made sense to me that the defense events didn't work like that. Attack and thwart events count as attacking and thwarting, why wouldn't defense events count als defending?
Yeah, I have no idea why they changed those defense/defend rules in 1.3. Didn't make a lick of sense. I really only play true solo so this didn't affect me very much, but I remember people complaining that Protection players were getting screwed because they couldn't defend their teammates and gain any of the bonuses from doing that. Either way, I'm glad they course corrected on that ruling relatively quickly.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Played a few more games with Miles Morales yesterday. Dude is such a beast. I haven't even come close to losing with him. Granted I only play standard, but still.

Expert Venom Goblin rocked me, I couldn't even figure out a way to crack him with Miles. I had to nerf the encounter to pass it. Mostly though yeah, nothing stops the Miles train.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Going to be doing Ms Marvel and Valkyrie tonight against Standard Kang.

First time I've played against Kang since I bought him nearly a year ago.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
For some reason I cannot find the Death Glow card for Valkyrie.

We switched out to Spectum and are getting started now.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Spider-Ham is absolutely insane, the whole Toon Counters thing is so strong lol. Wild resources everywhere all of the time.

Last edited:

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Expert Venom Goblin rocked me, I couldn't even figure out a way to crack him with Miles. I had to nerf the encounter to pass it. Mostly though yeah, nothing stops the Miles train.
You're right, that stopped me in my tracks as well. But just for fun I went and did the first three scenarios of Sinister Motives without the campaign stuff added and just steamrolled them all with Aggression Miles in a little over an hour. So much fun.

Really looking forward to Ham and sp//dr to arrive in a month or so. This spider content is gonna keep me satiated for a long, long time though.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
You're right, that stopped me in my tracks as well. But just for fun I went and did the first three scenarios of Sinister Motives without the campaign stuff added and just steamrolled them all with Aggression Miles in a little over an hour. So much fun.

Really looking forward to Ham and sp//dr to arrive in a month or so. This spider content is gonna keep me satiated for a long, long time though.
Haven't played with Sp//der yet, but the Ham might be up there with Ironheart, Venom and Strange as one of the strongest characters in the game.

Dude essentially has infinite wild resources as long as he takes any type of damage.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Spider-Ham is as fun and bonkers as people say. Never had this much fun when villains actually activate against me, haha.

Sp//Dr is also very good and strong, especially for a 3-4 hand character. My only issue is I agree with some of the criticisms that she plays very similarly each time. She kind of plays herself. Like most "suit building" characters, I'm just speedrunning her upgrades out and then once they're attached, it's just pound town on the villain. Don't get me wrong, it's enjoyable, but I think I enjoyed some of the decision making when building Ironheart's suit more.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed my one game with Sp//der so far, she feels really unique. And yeah, like with most unique-feeling heroes there is the issue of her playstyle probably being very similar each game because her hero set works pretty well regardless of aspect, but that's more of an issue with the game in general than her design.

War Machine, Ironheart, Quicksilver, Dr. Strange, Miles Morales, etc. have similar issues where you really don't need anything outside of their hero set to win.

I actually think that Sp//der's design is significantly more interesting than that of other suit-building heroes in the game. Where with Ironheart you really don't have any particular decision-making to do (built up the suit to max and win), here you have a kinda interesting choice each turn where you have to decide which upgrade you want to use for its power and which you want to use for a resource. It's pretty neat IMO and a clever way to have a small hand size and don't feel underpowered, like Thor, She-Hulk, Drax (outside of Protection) and especially Hulk can be. It's a pretty clever solution that's not just "with this upgrade you get more card draw" (Drax) or "play an upgrade to actually get a normal hand size" (Thor).

I think my main "issue" with Sp//der is how her obligation is even less threatening than other Obligations lol. If you choose to exhaust Penny the only drawback is that in hero form you get one resource less.

I noticed that M.J. Newman (of Arkham Horror fame) designed Sp//der and Black Widow, now I'm wondering which (if any) heroes she also designed. Nevertheless, I want more M.J. Newman designs, because Widow and Sp//der are so fun and unique.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Had some extra birthday money so I got mostly caught up.

Bought Nova, SP//Der, Spider-Ham and Sinister Motives.

Now all I don't have is The Hood.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Okay. So I'm looking at Miles and I don't exactly get his Venom Blast power. To my knowledge, using your hero ability doesn't exhaust you, nor does the card say "Once per Turn"

So couldn't he technically just take down the villain in one turn?

Oct 26, 2017
Okay. So I'm looking at Miles and I don't exactly get his Venom Blast power. To my knowledge, using your hero ability doesn't exhaust you, nor does the card say "Once per Turn"

So couldn't he technically just take down the villain in one turn?

It is a Special trigger meaning it only triggers when you have a card that says to trigger the venom blast ability.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Ohhhhh!

That makes sense. I didn't notice the special for some reason.
Yeah, so the fun of Miles is triggering those specials and stunning and confusing the enemy for maximum effect. Getting out his webshooters so you can trigger his specials when playing Web-Shot or Swing In, and then pummeling them with Arachnobatics. If you can play Arachnobatics twice in one turn on a stunned and confused villain, you'll probably one-shot them if you're playing solo. I like to play him Aggression with Jarnbjorn. I've only played maybe 10 games with Miles, but I probably win on turn 3 on average. He's so much fun.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah, so the fun of Miles is triggering those specials and stunning and confusing the enemy for maximum effect. Getting out his webshooters so you can trigger his specials when playing Web-Shot or Swing In, and then pummeling them with Arachnobatics. If you can play Arachnobatics twice in one turn on a stunned and confused villain, you'll probably one-shot them if you're playing solo. I like to play him Aggression with Jarnbjorn. I've only played maybe 10 games with Miles, but I probably win on turn 3 on average. He's so much fun.
Miles and Gwen are next.

My partner and I are currently doing Rocket and Groot for Galaxy's Most Wanted Campaign.

After we finish that we are doing the Mad Titan Campaign with Miles and Gwen.

Edit: I keep trying to convince them to 2 hand it like we do for Power Rangers but they don't get it as well as Power Rangers.

I have the advantage having played MTG, Overpower, Versus, etc.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Always knew you were a real one deimos.
I still have 6000 Overpower cards. All the Event Cards, Power Cards, Team Up Cards, etc. I even still have my various house rules for 5 and 6 hero decks.

I got started on the internet on geocities writing house rules and making custom character for Overpower.

My screen name back then was Death's Head 2.

And indeed my first custom cards were Death's Head, Death's Head 2, Tuck and Spratt and the 7th Doctor.

I even made my own event cards based on the story of Chanel from the Death's Head 2.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Ohhhhh!

That makes sense. I didn't notice the special for some reason.
Yeah, the game has a lot of moving parts, so it's normal to miss things time to time.

Enjoy the ride! And if your partner or you begin to get frustrated with a Galaxy Most Wanted scenario, skip it. It's widely know for the "weird" balance of the scenarios and the campaign himself, so it's better to stop, play another scenario or game, and return later than being burned playing it.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Good luck with Galaxy's Most Wanted. It's a bitch of a campaign. Honestly, don't be afraid to nerf some of the scenarios if you get stuck, I know I did.

Me and my gf in the end just decided to ignore some of the set up instructions for Ronan, because fuck that shit.

In fact, the final scenario has an official errata by FFG making it slightly easier in campaign mode simply because so many people complained that it was unfairly hard, so be sure to look that up before you start.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
FFG just announced that Wolverine will be the next Hero Pack after the combined release of the X-Men Expansion Box + Cyclops + Phoenix.
Also, later this year they will release a new Scenario Pack called MojoMania. It will be a 3 small scenarios liked together.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
FFG just announced that Wolverine will be the next Hero Pack after the combined release of the X-Men Expansion Box + Cyclops + Phoenix.
Also, later this year they will release a new Scenario Pack called MojoMania. It will be a 3 small scenarios liked together.

they know i'm gonna go all in on the mutants huh

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Did they preview the Wolverine card at all? Or just announce he's next? I'm ready to see how they incorporated his mechanics.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Did they preview the Wolverine card at all? Or just announce he's next? I'm ready to see how they incorporated his mechanics.
Just announced. We'll need to wait to the usual monthly updates for the card spoilers.
Edit: well, they said that wolverine will be able to hurt himself to boost his attacks and other powers, and that will be able to use his regeneration to recover a health too. My first impression with that brief description is that will be another push your luck character like Star-Lord (changing encounter cards to damage).