• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok, does anyone know how to shuffle cards properly? Because either a god has cursed me or I am so specific in how I shuffle that for the last 3 solo games, I have gotten the exact same hands in a row. As in, the hand I get and the card order is the same and the enemy card order is the same, down to the number written down. Unless I go out of my way to shuffle cards in a way where I can see the exact same cards so I know the order (which is cheating) I will always get the exact same cards right next to each other. I think I'm going fucking crazy, how in the world am I shuffling so I get the exact same setup each and every time!?!
I do the aforementioned stack shuffle, but then because I have everything sleeved I do a side shuffle before that(split deck int two uneven stacks, add the smaller to the bigger sideways)

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I've been bridge shuffling since I was 13. It was a requirement to play in the Euchre game at my Jr High School.

All my cards are sleeved but I still do the top to bottom bridge shuffle 4 times and then cut, then bridge shuffle 4 times and cut.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm getting ready to jump into this. I'm considering getting all the hero packs right off the bat, as well as Red Skull, so we can have the maximum variety possible for our teams. Is this a bad idea? Are there any heroes that just plain suck and aren't worth picking up?

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting ready to jump into this. I'm considering getting all the hero packs right off the bat, as well as Red Skull, so we can have the maximum variety possible for our teams. Is this a bad idea? Are there any heroes that just plain suck and aren't worth picking up?

I don't think there are any bad heroes or packs. I love the game.

BUT

that is a huge investment out of the gate. If you haven't played yet, start with just the core set. Maybe Green Goblin too. See what you think first. You get three villains and five heroes in the core, and they're all really good. I think there's enough in there to give you a sense of it.

after that, if you like it, hell, go all in. It's phenomenal and I have yet to get to anything I dislike.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Everyone has utility and what's nice is each one has a preconstructed deck straight out of the pack, while you can only have 4 of the base preconstructed at a time. Cap is considered easy mode though.

But I echo the guy above me, start playing with base and maybe green goblin 3-5 games. There's 5 heroes in base and it's a good litmus test for if you'll like the game

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Good advice, thanks. I will hold off on Red Skull and most of the hero packs...but i think I will still pick up Black Widow and Thor since those are my daughter's favorite Avengers :) I want her to have a great time out of the gate so she keeps playing with me lol

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Good advice, thanks. I will hold off on Red Skull and most of the hero packs...but i think I will still pick up Black Widow and Thor since those are my daughter's favorite Avengers :)
That's fine, just know Thor is best in team play(and make sure you have a non aggression type teammate deck in play) and BW is more technical. Everything up to/including red skull is designed to be straightforward. They are mixing things up starting with Kang tho

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good advice, thanks. I will hold off on Red Skull and most of the hero packs...but i think I will still pick up Black Widow and Thor since those are my daughter's favorite Avengers :) I want her to have a great time out of the gate so she keeps playing with me lol

yeah, go for that! Honestly, that's what's so cool about this game. You can invest as much or as little as you like. I think trying out your favorite heroes is a blast. Black Widow especially is the bomb.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
yeah, go for that! Honestly, that's what's so cool about this game. You can invest as much or as little as you like. I think trying out your favorite heroes is a blast. Black Widow especially is the bomb.
I only got Ms Marvel out of the first wave of hero packs but I'm hype for Antman, Wasp and Quicksilver! May go back for BW tho

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I just ordered Red Skull, Kang, Doctor Strange, and Black Widow the other day (to join the core game, Green Goblin, and Wrecking Crew). Me and my friends have been enjoying it quite a lot, even if we haven't even gone through everything I already owned lol

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Got my ass handed to me against Ultron the other day. I was playing solo Aggression Captain Marvel, and I went in blind against Ultron. I hadn't played against him yet and decided to not even look at his schemes. It was a fun way to go into it for the first time, as I was figuring maybe Captain Marvel just stumbled upon Ultron without knowing what he was up to.

Got him down to his second form in no time flat, but not knowing that his final scheme only needed 5 threat to win and that I couldn't remove threat really killed me. I tried keeping him on his first scheme for as long as I could, then when he finally got to his second scheme and I saw it needed 10 threat I relaxed a bit, since I was handling the drones fairly well at that point.

In the end I just got overwhelmed with his drones though. Then I got that card that makes all of his drones gain +1 in every area, with 4 drones on the board. If only that card hadn't entered play I might have won, because I had Hulk deal 1 damage to every character. In ordinary circumstances, that would have been a very nice drone-clearing attack, but alas.

Really cool villain. He plays just like I would have hoped, and I'm looking forward to taking another stab at him. I think Captain Marvel is good for the job in solo, but I'm not sure if Aggression is the way to go. She may need a bit more threat mitigation, so I'm thinking of going with something else next time.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
If some of the hero expansions are your family favourites, picking the core + one or two favourite heroes + Green Goblin is the best course of action.
Anyway, if you didn't have any particular preference, I think that Core + Red Skull Expansion is the best combo content/price you could get. You would have 7 heroes (5 from the core and 2 for the expansion) and 8 scenarios (3 from the core and 5 for the expansion).

Last week, my brother and I finished our first Red Skull's campaign playthough. We had a lot of fun discovering the tricks of the new villains! This weekend I'll play it again, this time two-handed solo on expert.

Also, this week Kang expansion will be available. I pre-ordered it some time ago, and I hope the shop get enough copies this time. Because they haven't received yet any copy of the Hulk expansion :(

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
If some of the hero expansions are your family favourites, picking the core + one or two favourite heroes + Green Goblin is the best course of action.
Anyway, if you didn't have any particular preference, I think that Core + Red Skull Expansion is the best combo content/price you could get. You would have 7 heroes (5 from the core and 2 for the expansion) and 8 scenarios (3 from the core and 5 for the expansion).

Last week, my brother and I finished our first Red Skull's campaign playthough. We had a lot of fun discovering the tricks of the new villains! This weekend I'll play it again, this time two-handed solo on expert.

Also, this week Kang expansion will be available. I pre-ordered it some time ago, and I hope the shop get enough copies this time. Because they haven't received yet any copy of the Hulk expansion :(
Hope you get it - mine just shipped and I only placed it on Sep 27th so hopefully that's a good sign for you.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Hope you get it - mine just shipped and I only placed it on Sep 27th so hopefully that's a good sign for you.
Thanks. Since the release, find english copies in online stores here in Europe is hard. I could have pick them easily in my local store in spanish -strangely, it usually have a lot at launch-, but I wanted to play the game in english to practice my english while playing.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Since the release, find english copies in online stores here in Europe is hard. I could have pick them easily in my local store in spanish -strangely, it usually have a lot at launch-, but I wanted to play the game in english to practice my english while playing.
Ah, yeah that probably does make things a bit dicier as far as supply goes. Fingers crossed for you!

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I just finished my first play against Zola in expert. I played solo with two hands, and my god. What a game, I won after 2 hours with several critical moments when I almost lose. Really fun!

Also, Baron Zemo, I will not miss you if you don't appear in my next game against Red Skull...

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Finally got Rise of Red Skull as well as the Hulk and Ant Man decks. Planning on trying it all out tommorow.

My consider two-decking it just for some variety.

tm24

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I got a bunch of decks for Christmas and now i need a more elegant storage solution? Any advice?

Also, where can I pre-order upcoming decks and the like?

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So I got a bunch of decks for Christmas and now i need a more elegant storage solution? Any advice?

Also, where can I pre-order upcoming decks and the like?
If it can still all fit in the box. There is this

Marvel Champions Insert and Card Dividers With Room for - Etsy

**IMPORTANT UPDATE** if you sleeve your cards, all expansions will fit (tightly) up until Hulk with the base dividers. Please know that Hulk will likely not fit in this insert with all cards sleeved, and if you order additional orange dividers to separate encounters, that may make it more difficult

If you can print cardstock download and cut out these.
boardgamegeek.com

Marvel Champions LCG - Horizontal Dividers - By Lee [Discontinued] | Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Marvel Champions LCG - Horizontal Dividers - By Lee [Discontinued] | Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Finally got Rise of Red Skull as well as the Hulk and Ant Man decks. Planning on trying it all out tommorow.

My consider two-decking it just for some variety.
I have more fun playing solo with two hands than with one hand, so I encourage you to try it.

Edit: by the way, after three plays, I can say that Wasp is a fun hero that hit really hard, but I don't like her preconstructed deck.
Also, she comes with some really great aggression cards, so I recommend her to anyone that likes to build and play aggression decks.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Is Christmas did me good, I've ended up with 2 more character packs and the last scenario so I have everything!

Trouble is, now I want to sleeve, and I see they've made coloured/character sleeves and I am having nightmares trying to figure out how many of each colour sleeve I need

(I've only played the game one at a friend's so while I've enjoyed it, I'm bit very familiar)

Help?

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Trouble is, now I want to sleeve, and I see they've made coloured/character sleeves and I am having nightmares trying to figure out how many of each colour sleeve I need

(I've only played the game one at a friend's so while I've enjoyed it, I'm bit very familiar)

Help?
Sorry for writing again, just after my other reply, but I found this amazing spreadsheet to know how many colored (or colorless) sleeves are need depending of your collection.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So I just got the Quicksilver expansion. Anyone understand the logic of having Avalanche be his Nemesis?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So I just got the Quicksilver expansion. Anyone understand the logic of having Avalanche be his Nemesis?
They've both been part of the brotherhood of evil mutants? Although xmen evolution was the only time they've had a direct relationship I can think of. Maybe a xmen tease? Ask Slayven to check I guess

Also I need to order it and the Antman expansion now that I think of it

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
They've both been part of the brotherhood of evil mutants? Although xmen evolution was the only time they've had a direct relationship I can think of. Maybe a xmen tease? Ask Slayven to check I guess

Also I need to order it and the Antman expansion now that I think of it
The only connection I can think is that he can destroy the ground he walks on.

And I don't need to ask Slayven. My knowledge is strong! 😜

I do think Speed Demon would be better just for the Speedster vs Speedster thing.

But then I think that Yelena Belova would have been a better Nemesis for Black Widow instead of Taskmaster so what do I know.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
This friday I received my PnP copy of Kree Fanatic, and my brother and I just played it together with Zola (choosed at random). Oh my! Ronan with Zola's attachments destroyed us.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
This friday I received my PnP copy of Kree Fanatic, and my brother and I just played it together with Zola (choosed at random). Oh my! Ronan with Zola's attachments destroyed us.

Sorry for the bump reply, but what service did you use for this (I'm assuming you used a custom card service if you received a pnp set)? I'm interested in getting a set as well.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Sorry for the bump reply, but what service did you use for this (I'm assuming you used a custom card service if you received a pnp set)? I'm interested in getting a set as well.
Yes, I used MakePlayingCards because I found a ready to print link in reddit (I don't know if is still available or not). It still cost me a bit more than I wished because I'm not from USA.
The cards that I received are fine, the print quality is really good on the front side of each card. But it still has some problems:
1) The backs have different text -says PROMO- and the color is clearly more redish.
2) The cards are a slightly bigger.

But if you use opaque sleeves, or if you have clear ones, use another encounter set like proxy and replace the card when it's revealed, you will not have any problem. I use the second method with the Masters of Evil set. When a Masters of Evil card appears, I look the number, set aside that card and put in play the PnP one.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Yes, I used MakePlayingCards because I found a ready to print link in reddit (I don't know if is still available or not). It still cost me a bit more than I wished because I'm not from USA.
The cards that I received are fine, the print quality is really good on the front side of each card. But it still has some problems:
1) The backs have different text -says PROMO- and the color is clearly more redish.
2) The cards are a slightly bigger.

But if you use opaque sleeves, or if you have clear ones, use another encounter set like proxy and replace the card when it's revealed, you will not have any problem. I use the second method with the Masters of Evil set. When a Masters of Evil card appears, I look the number, set aside that card and put in play the PnP one.

Great, I think I will do something similar. Thank you very much for the detailed reply!

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Just finished a game of Once and Future Kang (+Masters of Evil) with Iron Man (Protection), Ant-Man (Justice) and Hawkeye (Aggression) and won, after losing with just Ant-Man and Hawkeye.

This was my first game with Ant-Man and he is now my favorite character to play. The form-changing is so fun and the automatic responses he gets whenever he changes make him an extremely versatile character. He works great with Justice too.

I don't think it is worth it to play with the team-up card if the only way for the other character to pop up is as an ally card. It is just too hard to draw the one card while the one copy of the ally card is in play. I had Janet in Hawkeye's deck and still didn't pull it off. But I have the Wasp deck so I think next game I will do that one with Ant-Man and try the team-up. I was reluctant to play them together since they nullify each other's unique allies but maybe I am overestimating how big of a deal that is.

This was also my first time playing Once and Future Kang, and I wish the rules for setup and play were a bit clearer. I still can't find where it tells you to set aside Kang's Dominion. I got destroyed in the first game because that kept coming out, which I guess isn't how that card is supposed to work. ;p I was also confused by the timing of the second scheme's first villain turn.

Really interesting encounter but quite long.

edit: sitting here cleaning up my cards and whelp there's the note about Kang's Dominion in the setup on 1A lmao 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I got quicksilver in, still need to order Antman, wasp and kang(plus some more dividers for my box)

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Once and Future Kang is one of my favourites scenarios right now. Really tematic, hard -but not impossible-, and very replayable. If this is the quality to spect of the scenarios to come, I'll buy more content for years.

I have been able to catch up all the releases, and Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Ant-Man are really fun and versatile heroes. Only Wasp didn't click on me, but I didn't give up and I'll play with her more to try to find a fun deck for me.

I'm bored, so I'll rank my fav heroes and scenarios.

Heroes
1. She-Hulk
2. Ms. Marvel
3. Black Widow

4. Captain America
5. Spider-Man
6. Scarlet Witch
7. Ant-Man
8. Quicksilver
9. Hawkeye
10. Black Panther
11. Spider-Woman
12. Iron Man
13. Captain Marvel
14. Hulk
15. Thor
16. Dr. Strange
17. Wasp

Scenarios
1. The Once and Future Kang
2. Klaw
3. Red Skull

4. Crossbones
5. Mutagen Formula
6. Risky Bussiness*
7. Taskmaster
8. Rhino
9. Ultron
10. Zola
11. Absorbing Man
12. Wrecking Crew

*I house rule one card to make this scenario more tough. I add the Crisis Icon to Criminal Enterprise.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Played a few rounds of Solo against Klaw, a few times with that Aggro Quicksilver deck, and a few with the Dr. Strange Leadership deck. With Quicksilver, if you can get that Friction Resistance+Jarnbjorn combo out early, it's pretty much game over, especially if you have upgrades on Quicksilver that up his ATK or THW. I lost one game to Klaw because I couldn't get that combo out, but the other times is wasn't close. There was one other game, though, where Klaw got his Solid Sound Body attachment that gives him Realiate 1 -- the perfect answer to Quicksilver's multiple attacks per round. I still ended up beating him, but I was down to 1 health and he had 6 threat on his second scheme. It was maybe the most exciting game of MC I've played yet. With Strange's Leadership deck, it's almost funny how OP it is. Haven't even come close to losing.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I don't think it is worth it to play with the team-up card if the only way for the other character to pop up is as an ally card.

Does it have to be as an ally? If you're playing Ant-Man and Wasp, or Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in multiplayer or two-handed solo, those team-up cards would work from the get-go, right? That was my impression at least, but that having them in there as allies makes it a (somewhat less) viable card for solo players.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Completely' forgot about this thread, hahaha.

Love the game but it sucks FFG's releases are erratic as hell. :(

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Does it have to be as an ally? If you're playing Ant-Man and Wasp, or Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in multiplayer or two-handed solo, those team-up cards would work from the get-go, right? That was my impression at least, but that having them in there as allies makes it a (somewhat less) viable card for solo players.

You're quite correct, I am saying I don't think it's worth running the card if you just have Wasp as an ally card. I am sure it's more effective if Wasp is a hero. I didn't do that in my first game with Ant-Man because I wanted to use his Wasp ally card (which you can't do if she's in play as a hero).

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Completely' forgot about this thread, hahaha.

Love the game but it sucks FFG's releases are erratic as hell. :(

Lol, yeah, it's nice to see some movement in this thread. I'm really excited for Guardians, but the whole Asmodee not allowing US retailers to ship FFG products outside of the US is proving to be a huge thorn in my side as I'm in Japan. Amazon still ships here, but you can't pre-order the new sets there. All of the UK retailers have absolutely ridiculous shipping prices to Japan. I ended up signing up for Planet Express to re-ship my package from within the US to Japan, so we'll see how that goes.

You're quite correct, I am saying I don't think it's worth running the card if you just have Wasp as an ally card. I am sure it's more effective if Wasp is a hero. I didn't do that in my first game with Ant-Man because I wanted to use his Wasp ally card (which you can't do if she's in play as a hero).

Ah, I see. Yes, I agree with you there.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Played a game vs the Wrecking Crew.

I played Doctor Strange. Partner played Scarlet Witch.

I'm just gonna say when Scarlet Witch has the whole family out she's dangerous.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
Played a game vs the Wrecking Crew.

I played Doctor Strange. Partner played Scarlet Witch.

I'm just gonna say when Scarlet Witch has the whole family out she's dangerous.
She's so busted it's not funny. Even with the two obligations, she's a problem. I played a game a few nights ago with a splash justice so I could get my deck down to play multiple Hex Bolts in a turn due to her ridiculous card draw potential.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Decided to round things out so ordered Antman, wasp, Kang and some more dividers for my box so I can finally sleeve and sort everything XD

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well I bit, and wasp will be here Tuesday. I think I'll sleeve these(and the red skull villain cards) and store them in the red skull box till my additional dividers for the deck box arrive. This puts me up to the core, ms marvel, green goblin, red skull, and this. Nice little lineup if I say so myself
image0.jpg

now if I could just get around to playing it more
Edit: sleeved(plus red skull villain stuff)
image0.jpg

Last edited:

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Started the Red Skull campaign yesterday. Going to play 1 scenario each night until I finish, true solo. Used a Captain America protection deck last night that I stole from marvelcdb and absolutely wrecked Crossbones. Got my Avengers Mansion and Super Soldier Serum out early, and had Mockingbird, Nick Fury, and Widow out. Cap's Shield along with my protection card draws and Shield Block made it so that I didn't even need to chump block with my allies. It was my first time using this deck, but it seems to be beastly (and it also my first time using a non-precon protection deck).

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
Started the Red Skull campaign yesterday. Going to play 1 scenario each night until I finish, true solo. Used a Captain America protection deck last night that I stole from marvelcdb and absolutely wrecked Crossbones. Got my Avengers Mansion and Super Soldier Serum out early, and had Mockingbird, Nick Fury, and Widow out. Cap's Shield along with my protection card draws and Shield Block made it so that I didn't even need to chump block with my allies. It was my first time using this deck, but it seems to be beastly (and it also my first time using a non-precon protection deck).
I think I played that same deck recently. Is it a lot of stunning the villain? If it is then good lawdy, very few things are gonna stand up to you

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I need to get back into this (and Arkham Horror), it just after I fully got into boardgames, I now have too much to play and no time to play everything.

Planning to jump back in after GOTG expansion comes here, it was shipped yesterday (UK),
I also need to figure out a better storage solution because I straight up only have space for a couple more heroes.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

I would say Thor and Hulk are not worth bothering with, but I still got them because it felt weird to not have two key Avengers available.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
My FNGS called me to let me know my Galaxy's Most Wanted will be available to pick up Friday!

So definitely try that out this weekend.

And wow how fast these expansions have been coming out lately