• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Normally in these situations I try on my devil's advocate hat and look for any evidence that the artist has been misrepresented.

Yeah... I got nothing. This is overt as FUUUUUUUUCK.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
But the inkers and colorists probably should have noticed everything unless they're absolutely clueless/overworked to the degree it's just white noise.
Right? I had the same reaction. Inkers and colorists would for sure be spending enough time on it to be like "Wait, what am I working on here? wtf??" They probably feel like their job is at stake if they have any complaints. So fucked that it went out.

May 24, 2019
This is the sorta thing I can see whizzing over the head of like, final pass editors. It took me a second to realize there was a giant Star of David and I never noticed the "Jewery" bit until that was pointed out

But the inkers and colorists probably should have noticed everything unless they're absolutely clueless/overworked to the degree it's just white noise.

I'm guessing the steps where it could have been caught would be: Editor approval of pencils, Inker, colourist, letterer, editor/publisher approval of final art (probably also including the writer getting a look at art files), print check and everyone getting their free copies in time to halt sales.

They've had artists hide coded bigoted messages in their comics before, but this is so blatant that it's insane how nobody stopped it.

edit: Throw in someone at Comixology checking the file too. It should be in their right to not approve of something going up on their store.

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Right? I had the same reaction. Inkers and colorists would for sure be spending enough time on it to be like "Wait, what am I working on here? wtf??" They probably feel like their job is at stake if they have any complaints. So fucked that it went out.

Yeah that's probably the most charitable explanation. Still, alarm bells should have been ringing at multiple points in the process.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
That Star of David isn't even drawn well. Guys' got a job as an artist and can't even make the triangles that form it join evenly?

The Diamond District in Manhattan is just a couple blocks from Marvel's offices and many of the owners of those stores are Orthodox Jews. I've never seen a Star of David on any of the windows like that, though.

As someone Jewish, while there sometimes 'is' a Star of David on a Jewish storefront, in my experience they're only really there if it's specifically a store selling religious stuff. If it's just a regular shop or restaurant owned by someone Jewish, there's not really any reason to put it there (unless it's a Jewish diner, in which case it's there to let people know they can get knishes inside, and knishes are amazing).

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Yeah that's probably the most charitable explanation. Still, alarm bells should have been ringing at multiple points in the process.
They should be taking a serious look at how things are done when this is the second event like this in a few years (X-Men Gold).
That Star of David isn't even drawn well. Guys' got a job as an artist and can't even make the triangles that form it join evenly?
As big of a piece of shit as he is, Bennett is a very good artist. He probably did that on purpose to add more disrespect, honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Bennett is choosing to go with the "I didn't know" denial route:

His only chance, I guess:

"Immortal Hulk" artist Joe Bennett responded, "I've been including references to famous horror directors to pay respects to the genre throughout the series, and in 'Immortal Hulk' #43, I included a nod to David Cronenberg. The misspellings on the window were an honest but terrible mistake – since I was writing backwards, I accidentally spelled both of those words wrong. I have no excuse for how I depicted the Star of David.
Yeah, no, way too many coincidences for this to be true.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this must of gone though at least five different pairs of eyes before being published and nobody noticed, beggers belief honestly.

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Oh man I saw the title and expected something subtle but nooope that's just flat out awful. Everyone involved up the chain in approving that should get shitcanned.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Joe Bennett is Bolsonaro supporter and he hates the left... So he is a piece of shit.

Terça Livre : Hulk Contra O Comunismo - Com Joe Bennett (Hulk against the Communism)

SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Terça Livre is source of far right bullshit, fake news and Bolsonaro balls sucking portal/channel/podcast. Terça Livre youtube/twitter are banned. Thank You Sleeping Giants Brasil :D

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
There is so much fucking wrong in this picture I don't even know where to begin. How did any editor approve this?

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
As a jew, i looked at this and thought "Cronemberg, ok jewish run jeweler, what's the point of having the star of david on the window? Whatever, unncessary, but whatever."

Then I see how you spell Jewelry. oversight my ass

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this must of gone though at least five different pairs of eyes before being published and nobody noticed, beggers belief honestly.
I am not, see if you can spot the problem with this DC promo material
flashpointmapbig.jpg

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Dropping the L is clearly antisemitic, would a Jewish run jewellery store be also?

Not really, I've been to several jewelry stores owned by Jewish people, but none of the stores call out that they're owned by Jews in the fucking window or anything. There's zero doubt of what the artist was doing.

bryehn

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa
I completely missed the window lettering at first and thought this was about the mangled Star of David. Yikes

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
How do you get a dream job like working for Marvel Comics and throw that all away for a shitty "joke"?

And the comics industry is a very different place without the contributions of Jewish people.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
If youre stupid enough to be racist, you might be stupid enough to do this.

Weirdly, "Jewery" was the first thing I saw.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is that is kind of subtle and our brains just fill the gap of the missing letter. As it was backwards I can see no one noticing it before going to print. The artist? That was intentional sure.

Jun 17, 2019
A few questions that pop up about the process here on how it might have been missed. How big is this panel compared to the other panels on the page? If the panel is the big top panel then it being missed, then I would say "WTF editor." if the panel is smaller on a page of many smaller panels, then I can say I can see how it might have been missed. Keep in mind that the editors aren't just doing one book they could be doing up to three or four. So Yeah not a great look on them.

The ones that I have to wonder about are the inkers and colorist? Did they notice this when it was being inked and took Bennett at his word? Because this thing needs to have multiple passes. Rough sketches for the panels, the inked panels and the colored ones. So gotta wonder if anyone did notice and brought it up, or if the Editor didn't actually know about this sort of trope. Because I know about the idea of Jewish jewelry stores being a trope, but I don't know how many know about the whole imagery thing and reading backwards.

I'm pissed about it and it needs to be called out.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
The misspelling Cronenberg thing is too clever by half, it feels like someone intentionally adding in a second mistaken detail to their dog whistle as a cover-their-ass story.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It's worth pointing out there's been other typos with lettering backgrounds (King in Black - Hulk) had electronics missing a few letters.. so on one hand I can sort of see the language thing, but that was another artist, and the star of david does suggest otherwise.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
...Okay, as a guy who only knows comics from popping into the occasional thread about dumb comics stuff, I feel like I need a little help to figure out what this is even supposed to be.

It's a world map for an alternate universe where everything went bad (Flashpoint)

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
There's something obvious to notice before any spelling "errors".

Thinking better, the Star of David presence should make anyone double check everything in the panel for not being offensive. If it was just the letter missing I could say it could go unnoticed but:
- if the editor does his job well the Star would get his attention and he should ask why it is there
- inker and colorist Would notice too

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
To put into perspective the crazy disparity between writer and artist in this instance, this is a page from the same series, by the same artist, just an issue prior

EtZJ9HWWgAAP3o0

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
JFC to the thread OP and this, like wtf

I have no idea what's going on in this event, but I imagine the intent is that it's been taken over by Gorilla City. Nowhere close to being an excuse, but I imagine that's the idea.

Still though as Slayven mentions shit like this is not that difficult to squeak by unless someone's reviewing the entire thing like a hawk, something that's just not done with this grind. Jim Shooter, infamous for his strict editorial control, still let Avengers #200 somehow slip past him, and while he takes the fault for it there were just as many people that had to have eyes on it as well. And that's story, not art.

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what's going on in this event, but I imagine the intent is that it's been taken over by Gorilla City. Nowhere close to being an excuse, but I imagine that's the idea.

Still though as Slayven mentions shit like this is not that difficult to squeak by unless someone's reviewing the entire thing like a hawk, something that's just not done with this grind. Jim Shooter, infamous for his strict editorial control, still let Avengers #200 somehow slip past him, and while he takes the fault for it there were just as many people that had to have eyes on it as well. And that's story, not art.

On one hand, I get it. I know DC has Grodd and that stuff, but you read enough fictional stories that make a connection between Africa and apes/monkeys when there are other places in the world that have them, and you just start to...I dunno, just sigh and wonder

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017

I'm aware of the context in-universe but that doesn't excuse how they labeled it because there is still the context of reality that the reader and writers/artists themselves inhabit and they should have found a way to get their point across without echoing garbage that has damaged our society. So the sentiment of JFC i expressed at the panel Slayven showed was directed at how unaware/short-sighted DC was being in composing that panel. I won't call them lazy ala "lazy devs" but if the aim is to tell hard hitting stories (And I would personally categorize Flashpoint as that) they have to recognize the bar is set higher because shit like this can and will deflate whatever tone they're going for.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I'm aware of the context in-universe but that doesn't excuse how they labeled it because there is still the context of reality that the reader and writers/artists themselves inhabit and they should have found a way to get their point across without echoing garbage that has damaged our society. So the sentiment of JFC i expressed at the panel Slayven showed was directed at how unaware/short-sighted DC was being in composing that panel. I won't call them lazy ala "lazy devs" but if the aim is to tell hard hitting stories (And I would personally categorize Flashpoint as that) they have to recognize the bar is set higher because shit like this can and will deflate whatever tone they're going for.

No, again, I'm not excusing it. They fucked up and they fucked up bad. And I will use "lazy" in the sense that I imagine one or two guys throwing it in and not thinking of anything but the context of Gorilla City, and then it gets past people not looking for it (or, worse, people who did notice it but for whatever reason let it pass) and here we are. And that's a really really bad fuck-up to make.

Bottom line is, there is no "social justice reviewer" or anybody peering through making sure that you haven't slotted in any secret bullshit in after everything conceptually was already approved. With the way the comic industry's handled the current state of affairs (i.e. Marvel and DC are both willing to support social justice movements and tell those crying "PC" to screw off) it might be good to have just to make sure a fuckwit like Bennet doesn't try anything.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
No, again, I'm not excusing it. They fucked up and they fucked up bad. And I will use "lazy" in the sense that I imagine one or two guys throwing it in and not thinking of anything but the context of Gorilla City, and then it gets past people not looking for it (or, worse, people who did notice it but for whatever reason let it pass) and here we are. And that's a really really bad fuck-up to make.

Bottom line is, there is no "social justice reviewer" or anybody peering through making sure that you haven't slotted in any secret bullshit in after everything conceptually was already approved. With the way the comic industry's handled the current state of affairs (i.e. Marvel and DC are both willing to support social justice movements and tell those crying "PC" to screw off) it might be good to have just to make sure a fuckwit like Bennet doesn't try anything.
You have my sincerest apologies as I did not mean to imply you were excusing it by bringing up the in-universe rationale. And I'm in agreement with you that the general trend in comics and gaming seems to be companies trying to have it both ways as you illustrated in this quoted post and how it is bullshit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a Jewish guy, I am almost amused at how unnecessary and unoriginal it is. Like, if you're going to be anti-Semitic, at least put effort and subtlety into it.

It's so blunt that I can only assume that the artist is an imbecile.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
...Okay, as a guy who only knows comics from popping into the occasional thread about dumb comics stuff, I feel like I need a little help to figure out what this is even supposed to be.
If you watched the Flash on CW, you might have seen the poor CG gorilla Gorilla Grood. In the show, he was a gorilla that got exposed to dark matter to become telepathic.

In the comics, Gorilla Grodd is from a Planet Of The Apes style hidden city known as Gorilla City; a technologically advanced place full of gorillas with intelligence superior to that of humans that live in a city cloaked by technology.

This map is from an alternate universe where Earth went to shit and is in the middle of a superhuman war; those super smart gorilla's are in charge of that region of the continent.