• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How Do You Feel About the New Look?

• I like it

Votes: 1,289 33.6%
  • I'm ambivalent

Votes: 628 16.4%
  • I prefer the old look

Votes: 1,353 35.2%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 570 14.8%

• Total voters

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be honest. Spider-man PS4 probably had my favourite Peter Parker in ages and the new face really does not match the character that he is in that game. I understand that they have their technical reasons, but for me it hurts the product more than it does it any good.

I agree. I wouldnt even have minded the model change if they at least made him look a bit older. The previous parker looked late 20s/early 30s and it really suited the characterization in the game.

I hope in the sequel at least they age up the in game model a bit.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
So I didn't realise he was supposed to be 23. I thought he was closer to 26 - 29.

And, I really liked that? So... I prefer the old Peter.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Can see the upgrades but to me it's pretty minor so will save the time it takes to complete and be happy not buying the newer version.
The Miles Spiderman will be enough at some point.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Currently, while I prefer the rendering of the new scenes, I prefer the old design for Peter Parker. It isn't a big deal to me, but not a fan of the change. Still ordered the ultimate edition though.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
OG Peter definitely looked older than 23, that's for sure. I think people forget how young 23 is. lol.

I found an old picture of me and some friends back when we were about that age (22-23), and man, we looked sooooo young back then. XD

It's not an exaggeration to say that Hollywood has skewed our perception of what high schoolers and 20-somethings actually look like in the real world. Obviously, video games have that same issue (I remember reading that Nathan Drake in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was supposed to be, like 25, but I had him pegged as being in his early to mid-30's!).

New Parker definitely looks young, but he looks closer to a 23 year old than, "I need to make my mortgage payment this month or me and the wife and kids are moving back in with the in-laws!" I admit I wasn't a big fan of OG Peter, but he did grow on me. I also remember there being a lot of comments (on this very forum!) about how he looked back when he was finally revealed, but people got over it. I imagine the same will be true here. It's definitely going to be weird playing this Remaster with Nu-Peter, but I'm confident it will be as much of a non-issue as it was for me to get used to OG Peter.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Imagine if they re-animated Into the Spider-Verse where all the characters are the same but Miles was a completely different character design. It would feel so off to me. Because I know that movie, I know that version of Miles, and I love it and it's burned into my brain.

That's how this would feel to me. I'm taking a pass, at least for a good while.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Should have remodeled him after Frank Reynolds.
a8t22fsshc201.png

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
what are we expecting from BC? boosting the game closer to native 4k but still capped at 30fps as the game is? Would have liked to have seen a simple free 60fps patch keeping the dynamic res. By all means keep the remaster as an option for those that choose to pay for it, but I think it would have gone a long way to calming down some of the 'free spiderman upgrade' voices

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, it wasn't just "to make him look more like Lowenthal" for artistic reasons, but performance reasons. Yuri Lowenthal did the voice work, and the motion capture for Peter Parker. That means that the motion tracking dots were mapped to Yuri's face, not the face model. With the facial structure of both Yuri and the face model being so different, there would be problems mapping that facial capture onto the character model.

Now let's say that Peter Parker's PS4 character model has X number of bones on his face. The difference in bone structure probably wasn't as big of a deal, because there was a limited number of bones on the face that could be manipulated to make the facial expressions needed for that performance. A lot of work probably went into the original Spider-Man PS4 game to get the result we got, which was pretty good.

Now let's say that Peter Parker PS5's character model has XXXX number of bones on his face. Now, he has a wider expressive palette to play around with, unfortunately, because of the structure of Yuri Lowenthal's face, the motion capture tracking dots align differently on this higher fidelity model. The amount of work to then get the depth of the performance they need for Spider-Man PS5 is now quite an undertaking. The "simpler" solution, would then be to find a face actor who's structure closer resembles Yuri's. Now, the motion capture dots map to the in game model closer, resulting in a tighter, more emotive translation of Yuri's performance.

While I didn't hate OG Peter's look, one of the things I noticed during the many times I played Spider-Man, and watched Lets Plays of the game, is that his facial animations were "stiffer" than the animations of characters like Otto, Norman, May, and MJ, for example. Otto in particular is a standout, which is no surprise, as the voice actor and motion capture actor of Otto is the same person, so the motion tracking dots on his face map very well to his in game model. I actually had to get used to the OG Peter's face over the course of the game, because, in my head, I associated Spider-Man in 3 dimensions so much with Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland (sorry, Andrew Garfield, you were a great Spidey, but I couldn't stand your Peter Parker). I'll have the same adjustment to make with this new Peter.

Now, obviously Yuri and the new face actor don't look exactly alike, but the structure of their faces is similar, meaning a better match between the motion captured Yuri, and the in game model of Peter, especially compared to the original one.

This is 100% speculation on my part, as I obviously don't know the behind the scenes at Insomniac, but basing it off of what I know of motion capture and facial capture, this seems like the likely reason for the change: to get a more emotive performance out of Peter Parker for future Spider-Man games, and since they were already working on this Remaster of Spidey, why not update that model as well?

Motion capture, and in particular, facial capture, isn't as simple as "press button to capture emotions." A lot of work goes into it. Look at Naughty Dog's output in that area. They used to hand animated the faces to tighten up the facial capture performances. Now they don't have to, but it's still a lot of work to get the level of performances they manage to get in the Uncharted and The Last of Us games. Insomniac has entered that arena with the Spider-Man games, and they are upping their prowess with it with each successive game.

I'm super impressed by what they did with Spidey PS4, and even moreso with Miles and this Remaster of PS4 Spidey.

...and maybe speed up production of Spiderman 2... I hope. (great post btw)

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I've seen people say "well the old Peter looked like he was older and he'd been through shit" not realizing that yeah, he has, he started being Spiderman in high school and now he's 23. He's been Spiderman for 8 years already. People get too attached to weird media stuff like this and I really don't get it. It's a face. He animated like a cartoon. Now he animates like a person.

Don't get this shit trending, jesus, that's just embarrassing. It's as dumb as the puddle stuff ever was.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
the new ones way better. Previous one looked weird and old. Really took me out of the experience everytime i saw his face.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Is this some sort of proof that GaMeRs don't respect the director's intent 😋 like that Hard Mode thread recently?

I dunno why when all the people saying he looks too young next to everyone else reminds me of the teacher in Spider-Man 1, looking the same age as everyone else.
2002-Rami-Maguire-Spider-man-shan-omar-huey-teacher-movie-what-is-going-on-the-next-person-who-talks-is-going-to-fail-this-course.png

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Older peter was my favorite peter.

New one looks like a 5 yo grafted onto a big man body.

The actor they used looks significantly better than the ingame model, which doesnt help.

Maybe they deliberately made him younger to use a closer age likeness in MM / spiderman 2. So that they didnt have to make the actor look older.

The hairstyle sucks though. Give me wavy Peter.

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen people say "well the old Peter looked like he was older and he'd been through shit" not realizing that yeah, he has, he started being Spiderman in high school and now he's 23. He's been Spiderman for 8 years already. People get too attached to weird media stuff like this and I really don't get it. It's a face. He animated like a cartoon. Now he animates like a person.

Don't get this shit trending, jesus, that's just embarrassing. It's as dumb as the puddle stuff ever was.
It is not embarrassing nor is it at all similar to puddle gate. Puddle gate was a bunch of bullshit posted by people who didn't know wwhat they are talking about.

Meanwhile Peter's face is something most people are familiar with and a lot of people feel connected with. I could relate to him way more compared to the new one.

New face Peter looks really young. Especially compared to Marry and Felicia and Miles. It just doesn't fit with well.

Like seriously, why do you think a lot of people are making fun of the new Peter being young and posting FBI memes? It should be obvious.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It is not embarrassing nor is it at all similar to puddle gate. Puddle gate was a bunch of bullshit posted by people who didn't know wwhat they are talking about.

Meanwhile Peter's face is something most people are familiar with and a lot of people feel connected with. I could relate to hil way more.

New face Peter looks really young. Especially compared to Marry and Felicia and Miles. It just doesn't fit with well.

Like seriously, why do you think a lot of people are making fun of the new Peter being young and posting FBI memes? It should be obvious.

Probably because they're insane and out of touch and too attached to a video game character that had a bad face model in the first place.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Is this some sort of proof that GaMeRs don't respect the director's intent 😋 like that Hard Mode thread recently?

I dunno why when all the people saying he looks too young next to everyone else reminds me of the teacher in Spider-Man 1, looking the same age as everyone else.
2002-Rami-Maguire-Spider-man-shan-omar-huey-teacher-movie-what-is-going-on-the-next-person-who-talks-is-going-to-fail-this-course.png

That's more akin to George Lucas going back to change things.

Did people respect that ?

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
The hair looks way better. I'll get used to the new face, I guess. And the gameplay looks dope. Day one for me.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hated old parker the moment I saw him, new Parker is better in every way. Wtf are people on over here? I guess its the same effect people have when they see the new 4series BMW grill, as soon as something is new, its outright bad or some shit.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Meanwhile Peter's face is something most people are familiar with and a lot of people feel connected with. I could relate to him way more compared to the new one.

Peter Parker looked different in every two movies, every game etc. so far. People worked through that

Wtf?

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because they're insane and out of touch and too attached to a video game character that had a bad face model in the first place.
So you are calling people embarassing because you yourself didn't like the OG face?

If you didn't like it then fine but don't act as if you speak for everyone. A lot of people liked the original face and are let down by the decision to change it into something else (that potentially makes it stick out compared to other characters).

Also people connecting with a character isn't embarassing.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
What the hell? Really weird decision. I really liked Peter's look in the original.
I mean, it's not a huge deal or anything, but it is pretty jarring. After all, people do get attached to these characters.

Oct 27, 2017
This read like pushing the "he looks too young"-spin so far as some people would insinuate some kind of underage stuff? Or maybe i'm not getting the connection with FBI memes?
A lot of people feel like Peter looks way younger than Felicia and Mary Jane. Like way younger and they are supposed to be the same age as him.

Heck even Miles is getting memes about him being the mentor now. That's how young how he looks.

Last edited:

Xclusion

Nov 8, 2017
the 60fps looked so smooth I can't wait, also not mad at the remodel... but its definitely gonna take some getting used to

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people feel like Peter looks way younger than Felicia and Mary Jane. Like way younger and they are supposed to be the same age as him.

Heck even Miles is getting memes about him being the mentor now. That'shhow young how looks.

Okay. Thanks for explaining.

Though, I do think that people have a really skewed view (because of media probably) of how people look at certain ages otoh as well as possible differences in looks even at similiar ages.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I don't buy it because he looks way too much like Tom Holland now! That said i am surprised he was meant to be 23, he was atleast 29, but then i liked that it was an older take on him

MJ looks considerably older now by comparison

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
That's more akin to George Lucas going back to change things.

Did people respect that ?
My only problem with that situation was that the original versions were basically impossible to find, so even if you preferred them over the new ones, you were out of luck. That isn't the case with Spider-Man PS4, especially since it'll play perfectly fine on the PS5.

Also, you could apply your logic to any remaster/remake, so I guess the question is do you respect Demon's Souls 2020, Halo Anniversary, LoZ Link's Awakening 2019, etc?

Personally, I thought new Peter looked weird when I initially saw the screens but the video clip completely sold me on the change. Sorry folks, I overlooked it when Spider-Man came out because the rest of the game was so good but old Peter's face was very... stiff, if that's the right word. It just didn't look good next to God of War, TLOU2 and GoT. New Peter is a big improvement.

Oct 27, 2017

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the actor, but i don't really feel the new look.

Interesting, having seen a image of the actor in person, i think it wouldn't look off. But to me it feels that Insomniac also made him look younger in-game than on the picture i saw, i think that's what's feeling off.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I didn't even remember what Peter looked like until someone posted his original face, heh.

The old face was fine, the new face is fine. I think slightly older would have been preferable, but that's the only nitpick I have.

edit: holy shit, didn't realize this thread was 23 pages.

Oct 27, 2017
]
Sorry for the actor, but i don't really feel the new look.

Interesting, having seen a image of the actor in person, i think it wouldn't look off. But to me it feels that Insomniac also made him look younger in-game than on the picture i saw, i think that's what's feeling off.
The new model does look older than the game version. I could buy him being a 23 year old.

Not sure what is going on there at Insomniac that they made him look younger than the actual model.