• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How Do You Feel About the New Look?

• I like it

Votes: 1,289 33.6%
  • I'm ambivalent

Votes: 628 16.4%
  • I prefer the old look

Votes: 1,353 35.2%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 570 14.8%

• Total voters

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Is that how ray tracing works? (I honestly have no idea.) If you look closely at the reflection Spidey's model is of lower asset quality and if you look at the trees they are also much sparser and I notice that people and cars lack shadows in the reflection. I always thought raytracing wasan actual or at least much more accurate reflection of assets.
Up to the implementation. RT is costly and that cost goes up with accuracy. That's probably the best the PS5 hardware and Spider-Man build can currently do while hitting the performance target. I agree with you though, it looks rather sobering in still images. Probably much less noticeable and much more immersive than traditional fake reflections in action.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I think they did this to take the L now instead of when they reveal the new face with Miles/Spider-Man 2. By then people will be used to the new face.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
One important thing that new Peter model is missing is that tired look. Peter was barely sleeping in the game and taking too many tasks at once. This new model looks like he just sleeps.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see details, but as expected, I don't think this really justifies the price, which I guess is technically £20, but seeing you can't buy it seperately and it's linked to pricing MM at £50 (which it itself may be debatable if it's worth that), puts things up into question.
Even at that, I'm just gonna keep pointing to other examples. The Witcher 3 is doing this for free and it's 5+ year old game now, so SM, which is a newer game and one published by the platform holder (who you'd think would be trying to come up with ways to entice people to jump onto the newer platform more easily), I haven't seen any real attempts, it's all paid upgrades, except for stuff releasing now, and the PS store is a mess as it doesn't label or even list the games we know of that can be upgraded to PS5 for free if applicable.
It would really depend what SM was doing to justify it, and at essentially full price, I'd be expecting a from the ground up remake for that price, (which wouldn't be worth it), and that's simply where the bar is now, which you'd think Sony would consider seeing they made some of them, like Demons Souls/SOTC/Medievil (kinda), etc.
I don't care about the facial capture, didn't feel necessary to do to me, ray tracing, higher fps, new features I'm all for, but not sure I see it being worth £20+, especially when I already own the game with ~90% of the same content.
I will probably want it eventually, but I don't see it being worth the cost, but sadly if people buy it, they can justify it, so that's where we are with it. Shame Sony is being pretty backwards on this kinda stuff, and we're seeing Xbox giving free upgrades for the likes of Gears 5 and etc.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly thought, I think they did this to take the L now instead of when they reveal the new face with Spider-Man 2. By then people will used to the new

Yeah, they're doing the Tomb Raider Special Edition thing, modifying Lara's face a bit to make it in line with future games.

Honestly, I like both. The new one obviously looks more technologically accurate, but I don't look at it and think the older one is completely invalid now.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
I cannot fathom that so many are saying they prefer the old model to the new one.

EjLaHJuVoAA57V0

That's just a bad picture.

cd8a8a482d7c7cb740bc57466e2644f2.jpg

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Super happy about them changing the face because let she honest, the first face was never a looker and always had that video game weirdness to him. Also the 60fps gameplay looks amazing!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Old MJ looks 23. The old model for Peter (John Bubniak) is 23 irl but something with the hair/rendering tech made him look much older. Sucks they couldn't work it out with the old model but I doubt they'll change MJ's actress as a result.
latest

50395503493_d2070bef5e_k.jpg

I remember MJ looking older but she does look rather young in that pic .
Don't think they have to chnage much for her aside from just a more HQ model with better hair etc etc.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Christ!!

So glad I'm still near the beginning of the PS4 version. Will be picking this up.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
New Peter looks awful. Otherwise, I'm excited to play this again.

EDIT:
Now I wonder if they changed MJ too.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Miles is older in the new game.

Miles also gets bitten near the end of the game and we barely see him after that. His new look in his game reflects the physical changes he'd go through at that point - put a lot of muscle on a 15 year old kid over the course of a year and he is going to look older than he is.

There are some subtle differences with Peter they could go with that would make him look slightly older, but in his case he shouldn't have a big physical difference in just a year and I think when we see Miles in this Remastered game it's gonna reflect that a bit better.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about the mug, but there were boxes with aim on the side in the original release. I remember if they were some kind of sponsor or supplier for the lab.
Could be a further tie into Avengers at least as an easter egg rather than actually being the same universe. Although since Avengers' Spider-Man is exclusive to PS, maybe he will have an outfit from Insomniac's game.

Missed their chance to include him in THPS 1+2, unless they're saving this for PS5.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this new Peter model is a stopgap to prepare us for full on digital Tom Holland in the sequel.

/s..... Maybe?

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
People claiming Peter doesn't look like a 20-something need to go out and see some 20-somethings in the wild again.

I was grabbing lunch in Boston this week and was frightened how young people looked at the bar.