• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How Do You Feel About the New Look?

• I like it

Votes: 1,289 33.6%
  • I'm ambivalent

Votes: 628 16.4%
  • I prefer the old look

Votes: 1,353 35.2%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 570 14.8%

• Total voters

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
peter looks better, but like some others have said, we were old pete for 60hrs and had to go through the ending with him, its kind of weird to completely change the look. I always thought he did look too old, but they couldve updated the look to be younger or find a face model that isnt so drastically different.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I would've understood them changing it if it wasn't based on a real person, but it was. Could've just updated it. Sad to see it gone.

I don't get the "to make him look more like Lowenthal" reasoning...who cares? It feels like a deepfake to me now and worse fitting than before.
Character artists and mostly animators on the project. Really simplify things by a great length.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm looking on their Flickr

PlayStation.Blog

Explore PlayStation.Blog’s 54,835 photos on Flickr!

I think it's there based on the link embed

Dictator here may have it

www.flickr.com

Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered

Explore PlayStation.Blog's 54835 photos on Flickr!
Really interesting being able to see this fully blown up.

Looks like they're using checkerboarding in the reflection and a number of effects (like DOF) are missing in the reflection. Looks great though. I'll be choosing 30 fps with RT for sure when I play this.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot fathom that so many are saying they prefer the old model to the new one.

EjLaHJuVoAA57V0

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Young Face Peter is worse because he's more conventionally attractive. Preferred the average looking Peter, fits the character better IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Oct 27, 2017
"This does bring us to one of the bigger changes. In order to bring the best performances to players with our next-generation Marvel's Spider-Man games, we have recast the face of Peter Parker. We loved working with John Bubniak on the original game; however, to get a better match to Peter Parker/Spider-Man actor Yuri Lowenthal's facial capture, we have cast Ben Jordan to be the face model for Peter Parker on the PS5 console. He looks incredible in-game, and Yuri's moving performances take on a new life."

I think OP should edit this in. At least theres a reason for the change

A while back, I actually made a thread where someone had deep faked the Raimi cast into PS4 Spidey (+ some additional deep fakes with Holland & Garfield).

One thing that stood out to me was how well the the MJ/Dunst face mapped over, while Maguire & Holland didn't work as well as Garfield did for PS4 Peter. I speculated that a large part of it was to do with the proportions of Dunst / Garfield's faces being much closer to models of the game characters — so I can see how it would be easier for them to get better capture results by using a model thats more rounded / closer dimensionally to Lowenthals' face.

(Obviously pro level tools and dedicated team would get a much better result than open source deepfake sw though)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The Advanced Suit in the remaster looks like E3 2017/Reveal version rather than the Retail one.
Looks good.

maxresdefault.jpg

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Totally going to platinum this again. Kind of wish they had explained the game modes. I assume the 60 FPS mode is 1440? Would that mean a 4K quality mode with the RT effects would be 30FPS? Would be hard to pick between those options.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Insomniac: bring me a twink and bring it to me right now

that's a lot of effort to use Tom Holland's likeness without just casting him and pay him his royalties

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
New guy looks like he is 5-7 years younger, I don't get why they would make this change
New Peter looks like a 23 year old playing his age. Old Peter looks like a 29 year old playing 23. I got used to old Peter but if they had to recast I'm glad they went with a younger looking actor.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
New Peter looks way better. Excited to replay this, it'll be my girlfriend's first time

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
50395503493_d2070bef5e_k.jpg

"Omg this is so weird" x10 is all I was saying to myself as I scrolled down to see this. So weird!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's interesting and unexpected that they changed Peter's face. I like the Tom Holland look.

Now show me the undies costume so I can decide what I really think about this remaster.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
New Peter is a notable upgrade, i'll just have to get used to it. It actually reminds me a LOT of the Lara Croft in Tomb Raider Definitive edition change. It's better, just different.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
Peter went from off-brand Andrew Garfield to off-brand Tom Holland.

I consider that an improvement.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
they made peter look like a typical pretty-boy. i loved the original peter because he looked "normal" and not like a model.
i hope they did not turn mj into the typical hot girl.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
LOL, always fun to see how resistant gamers are to even benign change, seeing some of the over-the-top reactions here.

That vid looks smoooooth. Can't wait to see this in action in person in November. I almost restarted the campaign when I bought a 4k TV recently but I'm glad I waited.