• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going for 100% not just a platinum. This is my favorite game this year which is saying something as I dumped 800 hours into Monster Hunter World.

The
Taskmaster
challenges were the biggest pain in the journey so far but I managed to gold them all. The Drone challenges were the hardest for me. The worst being a score of 39991 when I needed 40000 for gold, the Bomb ones were almost all ace'd first try except the first since I didn't know what I was doing. The stealth challenges went similarly. The Combat challenges were mixed. I ace'd two and the other two took forever to gold.

I had the most fun with the stealth challenges because finding the perfect route to systematically shut down a bunch of goons without being spotted was like a Batman Predator challenge on speed.

In case anyone else is having trouble here's what worked for me:
Drones: Learn the routes and figure out which corners you can cut. The drone will speed up to keep ahead of you and that's the easiest way to buy time at the end. the L2+R2 perch into launch is a great way to safely pop a camera while sticking to the drone too, though be careful as more than once I was perched far away from my intended landing spot.

Bombs: Every bomb location has a perch spot right next to it. Get in range and spam L2+R2 until Spidey makes contact then chuck the bomb and mash R1. Always start with the closest bomb too as the route to the others from there is usually straight forward.

Stealth: While the level is loading in look for an enemy without a backup and perch as close as you can to do the perch takedown. The upgrades to boost the range really help here. In the maps with snipers start with the tallest point and work your way down. When there's two guards you can shoot a web as a distraction and usually take them both out.

Combat: I found changing suit powers to accomodate the main challenge of each arena to be the key to success here. The boosted Focus power from the white spider suit is great to clear out an early wave or keep your HP topped off. The multi takedown and slow motion on perfect dodge upgrades put in serious work here too to help manage crowds. For the Brutes impact webbing and then the web spin will usually stick them to a wall. For one challenge the electric fists suit power saved my ass basically stun locking the whole room while I took them apart. Speed will make up for an otherwise poor performance HP and combo wise which is why I like the focus + multi takedown combo as you reduce enemy numbers with a quickness that way. You still regen focus mid finisher too while the power is active..

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Unsure if this a Spiderman related issue or not. I just notice that my psn avatar change to the Spiderman Avatar. And there are people on my friends list with the same avatar? Did the game auto change my avatar? Was it a pre-order bonus thing? Have other games done this?

spidey-avatar.jpg

You downloaded it and I think it said it would change avatar. It's kind of cool seeing my list full of Spider-Man ones.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Despite TRULY loving the game, me and my roommate have been talking about how unnervingly neoliberal this representation of Spidey is through the side content. It's a fun thing to joke about but it honestly makes us feel a little bit gross. I don't think there was any ill-intent in the writing of the story and character, but the game doesn't exist in a vacuum and, in this climate, it makes Spider-Man feel like less of a hero of the people.

I just came across an article on Deadspin that shares this exact sentiment: https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/they-turned-spider-man-into-a-damn-cop-and-it-sucks-1828944087

Highlights:

The writer of the article, like my roommate and I, is still fairly early in the game so maybe it addresses this later, but it feels like it's baked into the themes.

The way it acts as if systematic oppression doesn't exist and every low level criminal is a bad-to-the-core individual who got into crime by choice. Not like every random enemy needs a backstory, but when Spider-Man is saying things like "Drug deals are in my top five worst crimes" (or whatever) and, as mentioned above, "If you just got real jobs you wouldn't have to work so hard at being criminals!" it is said as if it is absolute truth and you have no reason not to believe him.

And yes, I understand that this is about as much context as any other spider-man game gave in the past, but we are in different times. Games are political, and this one is occasionally a little more Right than I think it realizes.

Still, fantastic game and great writing outside of this. But I think it's a message worth discussing.

I agree with all this except for your use of "neoliberal."

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How hard is Spectacular (hard)?

I start these games on Hard every time, but I don't wanna waste what little time I have with this game throwing myself at losing battles over and over, so I gotta know if Hard is Hard or if it's Fucking Hard

kind of just... sitting at the title screen for the next ten minutes hoping that I get an answer here or at Reddit. Anyone? :p

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How hard is Spectacular (hard)?

I start these games on Hard every time, but I don't wanna waste what little time I have with this game throwing myself at losing battles over and over, so I gotta know if Hard is Hard or if it's Fucking Hard
I am playing on Spectacular and I find it incredibly fair. I died a bit at the beginning but once the combat clicked I only die if I personally mess up.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I have just realized that I screwed myself by spending my challenge tokens on upgrading my gadgets, so I can't unlock all of the suits. I will now have to get a gold medal in every challenge.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is so god damn phenomenal, combat is sublime, I rush to every random encounter because it's fun as fuck.

I love the amount of suits as well, if it's night time, there's only one option for me

sQ5lB8U.jpg

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the credits roll right now. I'm amazed on how good the end was. I'm in a state of disbelief.

This game was a very solid 7/10 for me. A pure joy to play through despite some flaws. The way everything came together in the main story and how Insomniac crafted this Peter Parker/Spider-Man tale is nothing sort of Spectacular.

Of course there's things I think can be improved upon and even things that I feel was poorly done in the game but I'll save those thoughts.

I can't wait for the DLC and for the eventual sequel. Any word on how big the Black Cat DLC is going to be?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
There's no difficulty trophies so play whatever makes you happy. Normal was challenging already but not as oppressive as Hard to me.

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have tips for the I heart Manhatten trophy? Last one I need that's not story related and it sounds like a slog.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I have just realized that I screwed myself by spending my challenge tokens on upgrading my gadgets, so I can't unlock all of the suits. I will now have to get a gold medal in every challenge.
Yeah I thought max gadget upgrades would be a trophy so I dumped my tokens into them. I think I will drop the platinum for this game because I don't enjoy challenges enough to get good at them and get a gold in each of them.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loving the game but damn i hate how enemies magically can hit me with their guns when i'm swinging behind them in a car chase. Or the spiderseeking fists of the bigger goons. They can be 20 feet away from me and still close that range in one punch. Another thing is how Spider-Man can bench press cars but needs up to 10 punches for regular street thugs to finally drop. I get that the game should be a challenge but damn, normal goons shouldn't be that tough against a superhuman.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I am playing on Spectacular and I find it incredibly fair. I died a bit at the beginning but once the combat clicked I only die if I personally mess up.
Same. Much of the combat feels tuned to Spectacular difficulty honestly. With all these upgrades I'd probably feel unstoppable on easier difficulties. I died a bunch early on to those asshole brute heat-seeking turn-around haymakers, but since learning the nuances of the combat and getting a few more moves/gadgets unlocked, the combat is incredibly rewarding on Spectacular.

That said, the Car chase "take no damage" objective sucks on Spectacular. I'm going to have to get incredibly lucky one day and land right on top of one, because those assholes have miniature sniper rifles that never seem to miss and don't give you enough warning to dodge (while still going fast enough to close the gap).

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
My friends list is full of people playing D2 instead of Spider-man, weird (although my friends list grew a ton playing D1....) Also, as a native Houstonian, I'm very annoyed by the constant mispronunciation of Houston in the police chatter /s.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
It's only Task Master, Black Cat (no fight), Oddball, Tombstone. It's really the only thing I'm disappointed with. All the side quests should end in a villain fight, hope they fix that in the next one.
Yeah, I'm with you.
Tombstone was the highlight. I'd also like if the quests were lengthier and progressed alongside of the story. I'd prefer fewer quests, but more to those quests left in the game, like Arkham Knight as others have said.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
My friends list is full of people playing D2 instead of Spider-man, weird (although my friends list grew a ton playing D1....) Also, as a native Houstonian, I'm very annoyed by the constant mispronunciation of Houston in the police chatter /s.

not sure if serious, it's not really being mispronounced. common thing that confused me when i first went to NYC

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/nyregion/houston-street-pronounce.html

edit oh missed the s

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the reaction to the MJ stealth missions kills shit like this for good. This is probably the worst it's ever been, the whiplash from switching from Spidey to her is just terrible. These bird brained forced stealth missions in AAA games have got to go. This is even less involved then the MSX Metal Gear games. By the 4th time you do this did no one wonder if this was actually fun or engaging? What would actually be lost by not cutting every single one of then?

I like the game a lot besides that and the police fellatio but holy shit it just kills the momentum whenever you get to these

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the reaction to the MJ stealth missions kills shit like this for good. This is probably the worst it's ever been, the whiplash from switching from Spidey to her is just terrible. These bird brained forced stealth missions in AAA games have got to go. This is even less involved then the MSX Metal Gear games. By the 4th time you do this did no one wonder if this was actually fun or engaging?

I like the game a lot besides that and the police fellatio but holy shit it just kills the momentum whenever you get to these
I legit dread seeing "15 minutes earlier...."

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I liked the MJ sequence where she was directing Spidey to drop down from the roof and take goons out. Until I looked up and saw he would just pop out of existence after doing it, anyway. That was an immersion breaker.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the reaction to the MJ stealth missions kills shit like this for good. This is probably the worst it's ever been, the whiplash from switching from Spidey to her is just terrible. These bird brained forced stealth missions in AAA games have got to go. This is even less involved then the MSX Metal Gear games. By the 4th time you do this did no one wonder if this was actually fun or engaging? What would actually be lost by not cutting every single one of then?

How they didn't know of how much people hate instant failure from stealth missions. Have they been in a bubble for the past 10 years?
Do they on purpose wants you to hate MJ?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I've just played an hour or so. I'm enjoying it but it's definitely not wowing me like I hoped it would. The controls feel weirdly floaty to the point that I actually had to check I hadn't enabled the wrong setting on my TV.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
When can I buy the OST? iTunes? I had my reservations but damned if Paesano didn't at the very least put Giacchino and Zimmer to shame. His Spidey theme is a hell of a lot better than theirs.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
TetraGenesis - what, so you're saying that a story about a vigilante ubermensch might be slightly right-wing?

The whole superhero genre is about special individuals who act outside of the legal process, which is at best an individualist fantasy, at worst it's purely right-wing. You've read Watchmen, right?

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the MJ sequence where she was directing Spidey to drop down from the roof and take goons out. Until I looked up and saw he would just pop out of existence after doing it, anyway. That was an immersion breaker.

Must've been a bug. When I looked up at that sequence I saw Spider-Man wrapping fools up and attaching them to the ceiling. I looked up once or twice though.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Real talk though, I loved the stealth missions and walk around segments mostly because they provide a human element and you see the events going one from the eyes of normal humans and how they deal with threats that Spidey would curb stomp.

The terrorist attack sequence as Miles was more powerful than anything in the Arkham games.