• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
There really shouldn't be, but maybe you are just swinging in the wrong areas? the thing about crimes is that they aren't as RNG as they appear. There's actually like 5 types of crime per faction per district, all with set optional objectives that can be permanently completed. To the point that same kind of crime, just like all other activities, will remember if you only did one and not another and when you run into it again, it will keep one objective checked and other unchecked.
Huh I will try going back around the tutorial area and see if anything pops out

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone gotten an email about the Pin for pre-ordering the digital deluxe edition? I haven't gotten it yet

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, this game just completely lost me when they decided (late game spoiler)

to have you fight robot- I mean Sable soldiers and put Joker henchm- I mean prisoners all over the city.

I was actually clearing the map until then (which is extremely rare for me) but that ain't happening now.
There's like 8 and they take like 5 minutes. I did them all, challenges included in one sitting.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just finished one of the areas that has been shown in recent trailers, the
prison break with the super villians.
How much longer do I have in the game?

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
ppyynu8.gif

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I want to see the random crimes taken further. More variety, more dynamic, more more complicated. The random crimes popping up actually actually fit in pretty well and I do feel motivated to react to them. They're just sort of underdeveloped. Sequel Maybe.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I just wanted to chime in and say that the suit I've been using for most of the game (at 90% completion right now) is the Scarlet Spider suit. I've worn every suit for at least one mission, but when I am just going around doing things it's generally Scarlet Spider. Something about it just rules. I'm also a sucker for the plain classic suit.

One of the suits I'm not even gonna craft. Spider-Man with a sleeveless hoodie and gothic bracelets. It looks ridiculous in my opinion. Just like the homemade suit, last stand suit, noir suit, spirit suit, punk suit and wrestler suit. Only reason I may unlock these, is if their power is interesting.

Can't wait to unlock the velocity suit though. That thing looks badass.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
Playing this on a brand new LG C8. 4k and HDR are blowing my mind, I could live with this level of fidelity and just go to 60 fps for next gen.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the suits I'm not even gonna craft. Spider-Man with a sleeveless hoodie and gothic bracelets. It looks ridiculous in my opinion. Just like the homemade suit, last stand suit, noir suit, spirit suit, punk suit and wrestler suit. Only reason I may unlock these, is if their power is interesting.

Can't wait to unlock the velocity suit though. That thing looks badass.
I also love the Scarlet Spider outfit. So good. 90's kid for life.

On that note, has anyone tried the iron spider skill with different suits? I wonder how that looks.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So quick question, I used all my challenge tokens on my gadgets and I need 20 to unlock the last few suits. But I went through the map and counted how many tokens I have left to get and there's only 16. Am I just going to be unable to get these last few suits?

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
So quick question, I used all my challenge tokens on my gadgets and I need 20 to unlock the last few suits. But I went through the map and counted how many tokens I have left to get and there's only 16. Am I just going to be unable to get these last few suits?

Can't you just replay the challenges and get more tokens?

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Just finished the story

What an emotional ride it was, I wasn't ready for May's death, despite hinting at it I really thought they weren't gonna pull it off but man, not only did they went with it, everything about it was heartbreaking, brought tears to my eyes. Everything felt like it had a very good payoff, from MJ (whom I loved in this game, such a strong personality) and Miles (felt a bit tacked on but I can't deny that post-credits scene got me hyped) and the stuff with Otto as well, Peter learning that some people can't be saved from their own demons.

Overall, I loved my time with the game, I still have a few stuff to power through which I will be focusing on. Act II gameplay wise felt like it suffered a bit thanks to the storytelling, confining most villains to the final hours, though working perfectly for the story, left a bit of a void in the midst of things, would've loved some C or D tier baddies make an appearance.

I think this will absolutely be one of the games I'll be buying the DLC for.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Is there a limit to random crimes in the city? Not sure if it because of the story but I have not encountered muggins, break ins and whatnot in quite a bit

Continue the story and they will come back again. There is a stretch with very few of them, but then they come back en masse. So just continue the story.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is that how it works? I thought once you got x3 in a challenge there would be no more tokens left for it.
If you're talking about things like the stealth and drone challenges remember the golds are worth 3 tokens not one. So a first time gold clear of a challenge is worth 6 challenge tokens. If you're still missing some even golding every event I'm not sure where the missing ones would be.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're talking about things like the stealth and drone challenges remember the golds are worth 3 tokens not one. So a first time gold clear of a challenge is worth 6 challenge tokens. If you're still missing some even golding every event I'm not sure where the missing ones would be.

Oh! Okay, that makes much more sense. I just counted them up individually, didn't know they multiply. Thanks!

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
You should technically be able to perfect all challenges to get the maximum amount of tokens and be able to unlock all suits. I said f*** that though and reloaded one of the many story savegames the game throws at you (thankfully I left every side quest for after the story, cause otherwise I'd have nothing left to do) and did the unlock all suits trophy there in ~30 minutes. But yes, it's best to not spam too many gadget upgrades early on (so you can do the suit trophy and then reload a savegame with the tokens for the upgrades).

Story done spoiler:
I'm also team anti-Act 3. I loved the boss fights but I couldn't suspend my disbelief that the Avengers don't bother showing up even though the final act is essentially 1-2 days ingame time. Sloppy writing IMHO + I'm insanely tired of the "Spidey is a menace let's throw armored goons with lasers at him" story twist. Hope the DLC stories are more intimate & grounded and not "NYC is on fire but Tony Stark drinks cocktails at his Malibu Beach mansion instead of rocket boosting over here with an army of drones in 45 minutes IG time". /rant

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone cross the bridges?

First of all.....what the hell is going on with the actual bridge, second of all when you cross it....wut

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should technically be able to perfect all challenges to get the maximum amount of tokens and be able to unlock all suits. I said f*** that though and reloaded one of the many story savegames the game throws at you (thankfully I left every side quest for after the story, cause otherwise I'd have nothing left to do) and did the unlock all suits trophy there in ~30 minutes. But yes, it's best to not spam too many gadget upgrades early on (so you can do the suit trophy and then reload a savegame with the tokens for the upgrades).

Story done spoiler:
I'm also team anti-Act 3. I loved the boss fights but I couldn't suspend my disbelief that the Avengers don't bother showing up even though the final act is essentially 1-2 days ingame time. Sloppy writing IMHO + I'm insanely tired of the "Spidey is a menace let's throw armored goons with lasers at him" story twist. Hope the DLC stories are more intimate & grounded and not "NYC is on fire but Tony Stark drinks cocktails at his Malibu Beach mansion instead of rocket boosting over here with an army of drones in 45 minutes IG time". /rant

I imagine a good in game excuse is that Mayor Osborn didn't want them in and that he had it under control. Once the mayor lets them in he'l have more trouble keeping his shit undercover which is why Sable was there.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time taking pictures of landmarks and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? It doesn't show anything on the camera that indicates hey this is the right angle bar the first guided one where you photograph
the Empire state building.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time taking pictures of landmarks and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? It doesn't show anything on the camera that indicates hey this is the right angle bar the first guided one where you photograph
the Empire state building.

Are you pressing L2 after pressing up on the d-pad?

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
One of those "how far am I?" questions (sort of far?):

It's the Miles mission where you go to FEAST for the first time.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Despite TRULY loving the game, me and my roommate have been talking about how unnervingly neoliberal this representation of Spidey is through the side content. It's a fun thing to joke about but it honestly makes us feel a little bit gross. I don't think there was any ill-intent in the writing of the story and character, but the game doesn't exist in a vacuum and, in this climate, it makes Spider-Man feel like less of a hero of the people.

I just came across an article on Deadspin that shares this exact sentiment: https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/they-turned-spider-man-into-a-damn-cop-and-it-sucks-1828944087

Highlights:

Spider-Man doesn't just help the cops by catching armed robbers and putting deranged super villains in jail, he helps them maintain a high-tech, citywide surveillance network. [...] But it isn't strictly a game mechanic, it's also a narrative choice
A big part of the character's appeal is that he is just as much under the thumb of the city as the people he tries to help. He's from a shattered family, he works multiple jobs, he can't pay his bills, he's stressed out all the time. He's not a hero who swoops down from on high in order to save the commoners from themselves, he is a commoner.
He's no longer performing heroic deeds out of just the goodness of his heart, but also for the purpose of solidifying the existing power structure's grip on the city.
All I know is that it kind of sucks to play a game in which Spider-Man, in the process of beating up some drug dealers, taunts them by yelling, "If you just got real jobs you wouldn't have to work so hard at being criminals!"

The writer of the article, like my roommate and I, is still fairly early in the game so maybe it addresses this later, but it feels like it's baked into the themes.

The way it acts as if systematic oppression doesn't exist and every low level criminal is a bad-to-the-core individual who got into crime by choice. Not like every random enemy needs a backstory, but when Spider-Man is saying things like "Drug deals are in my top five worst crimes" (or whatever) and, as mentioned above, "If you just got real jobs you wouldn't have to work so hard at being criminals!" it is said as if it is absolute truth and you have no reason not to believe him.

And yes, I understand that this is about as much context as any other spider-man game gave in the past, but we are in different times. Games are political, and this one is occasionally a little more Right than I think it realizes.

Still, fantastic game and great writing outside of this. But I think it's a message worth discussing.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Despite TRULY loving the game, me and my roommate have been talking about how unnervingly neoliberal this representation of Spidey is through the side content. It's a fun thing to joke about but it honestly makes us feel a little bit gross. I don't think there was any ill-intent in the writing of the story and character, but the game doesn't exist in a vacuum and, in this climate, it makes Spider-Man feel like less of a hero of the people.

I just came across an article on Deadspin that shares this exact sentiment: https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/they-turned-spider-man-into-a-damn-cop-and-it-sucks-1828944087

Highlights:

The writer of the article, like my roommate and I, is still fairly early in the game so maybe it addresses this later, but it feels like it's baked into the themes.

The way it acts as if systematic oppression doesn't exist and every low level criminal is a bad-to-the-core individual who got into crime by choice. Not like every random enemy needs a backstory, but when Spider-Man is saying things like "Drug deals are in my top five worst crimes" (or whatever) and, as mentioned above, "If you just got real jobs you wouldn't have to work so hard at being criminals!" it is said as if it is absolute truth and you have no reason not to believe him.

And yes, I understand that this is about as much context as any other spider-man game gave in the past, but we are in different times. Games are political, and this one is occasionally a little more Right than I think it realizes.

Still, fantastic game and great writing outside of this. But I think it's a message worth discussing.
I couldn't enjoy games if I looked into them as much as this

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
I imagine a good in game excuse is that Mayor Osborn didn't want them in and that he had it under control. Once the mayor lets them in he'l have more trouble keeping his shit undercover which is why Sable was there.

Why would the game even need to give an excuse for this? This is common ground for any comic book reader, they imply they're there but might be doing their own shit, we don't know, and frankly people shouldn't even be bothered by it, I find it so silly

Okay, so

Is that a sort of symbiote on Harry's body?

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the story

What an emotional ride it was, I wasn't ready for May's death, despite hinting at it I really thought they weren't gonna pull it off but man, not only did they went with it, everything about it was heartbreaking, brought tears to my eyes. Everything felt like it had a very good payoff, from MJ (whom I loved in this game, such a strong personality) and Miles (felt a bit tacked on but I can't deny that post-credits scene got me hyped) and the stuff with Otto as well, Peter learning that some people can't be saved from their own demons.

Overall, I loved my time with the game, I still have a few stuff to power through which I will be focusing on. Act II gameplay wise felt like it suffered a bit thanks to the storytelling, confining most villains to the final hours, though working perfectly for the story, left a bit of a void in the midst of things, would've loved some C or D tier baddies make an appearance.

I think this will absolutely be one of the games I'll be buying the DLC for.

Just finished it myself and I thought it was rough around the edges with some real moments of brilliance and a hell of a payoff towards the end. Broadly I pretty much have the same opinions as you though.

Really enjoyed the game overall and think it's a great base to build future games on. I would have liked to have seen the side content have a bit more stuff like the Tombstone missions, but all in all congrats to the Insomniac team and to Sony for another enjoyable single player game for their roster to prove SP gaming is alive and well.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Finished the main story. It remained impressive til the very end, what a ride. I'm already level 50 and still got some bases and a lot of crimes left to cover for the plat, but I think I just screwed myself over for the All Suits trophy. I bought gadgets upgrades thinking I'd get enough anyway for the remainder of the suits, but it looks like I'll have to get gold on Taskmaster challenges now? Wish I'd spent the tokens on the suits first.

So about the ending:
so is Harry gonna be a Green Goblin/Venom hybrid? That was a symbiote right at the end?

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Unsure if this a Spiderman related issue or not. I just notice that my psn avatar change to the Spiderman Avatar. And there are people on my friends list with the same avatar? Did the game auto change my avatar? Was it a pre-order bonus thing? Have other games done this?

spidey-avatar.jpg

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017

Highlights:

this does get somewhat addressed when another faction enters the fray later in the game

also: