• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
so i'm probably about 1/2 through the story, and I have a question. do the "clearing the base" side missions have different difficulty rankings?

I did one of them, but died a bunch and then tried a second and it was the same thing. just wondering if I should wait until i'm a bit higher level to bother with those or not.
Some are easier than others and overall difficulty varies wildly with suit powers, suit mods, and gadget use. If you're having trouble with one I'd hold off until you unlock more stuff. As you level up at certain points your melee attacks will do more damage and you'll have more health too.

If you want to power through check your current loadout and try something else to see if you have more success.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
The enemy design in the game for the bosses aren't doing it for me. Just did the part from this years E3 demo, it's some good stuff.

Villains in general aren't doing it for me. Arkham games definitely set the bench mark, in that regard. Perhaps as the villains are a much bigger focus of those games, which makes them more interesting overall.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Please reply in spoiler tags, but don't actually spoil it for me, a simple yes or no will suffice.

Does the game move on from Negative Man and the Demons or are they the antagonists throughout the whole story? E3 raft demo had me thinking they'd be left behind at some point. My last story mission was the demo mission with Fisk construction and the helicopter.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I know Octavius is Doc Ock. Everybody knows that. All these red flags in the game are telling me that. Am I going to be surprised by anything he does?
For context, he's only just got the equipment back and keeps going on about being 'more.'

He basically is the main villain of the third act and he does some pretty crazy shit which you will see for yourself. ;)

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Before I decide if I'm going for the Platinum or not: do you have to finish all bonus objectives for all the crime/base missions? Or do you just have to complete the required amount and get the right amount of tokens for unlocking all gadgets/suits?

Also spoiler for a mid-game side mission involving a Spidey villain:
Can I just say Taskmaster using a fake world icon to lure you into a fight is near Psycho Mantis levels of fuckery and I am all for it. Him just showing up to beat on me was a complete surprise and probably my favorite moment of the game so far.
Based on guides I've read, if you save up base, crime, and challenge tokens until the end (when all the upgrades and suit locks are available) and do a manual save, buy all upgrades of one type, pop the trophy, reload, repeat for each gadget/suit you can get the platinum without going the extra mile. I'm curious about the challenges in the crime stuff since I'm not sure I completed all the side objectives in the earliest ones so if I'm missing crime tokens from that I'm going to be really bummed out. Trophy guides say no trophy is missable though so maybe I'm good?

DSoup

Oct 28, 2017
London
So I wasn't too sold for the first few hours here. Combat was really damn good, story was fantastic, but side content and swinging were just OK. Disappointingly OK.

I've still not heavily invested in the traversal skill tree but I'm much better at swinging - chasing flying things in side missions is good for honing your skills. I think the most apt description of the swinging is "easy to grasp, difficult to master".

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably just an idiot and not seeing it, but is there an overall checklist anywhere in the menus? As opposed to the district ones when you move your cursor over an area.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I know Octavius is Doc Ock. Everybody knows that. All these red flags in the game are telling me that. Am I going to be surprised by anything he does?
For context, he's only just got the equipment back and keeps going on about being 'more.'

Eh, if I'm honest, there's nothing really surprising about that arc.

There are a few things at the very end that you might not see coming.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This different take, with him being a friend and mentor of Peter, is the purpose of that plot, not a "twist" that he is Doc Ock

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Please reply in spoiler tags, but don't actually spoil it for me, a simple yes or no will suffice.

Does the game move on from Negative Man and the Demons or are they the antagonists throughout the whole story? E3 raft demo had me thinking they'd be left behind at some point. My last story mission was the demo mission with Fisk construction and the helicopter.
answering the question:
There's more after you deal with Mister Negative and the Demons.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked the IGN walkthrough, and I only have about 10% of the main story left :(

This game has been just incredible. I've tried to take my time and do lots of side activities, but the main story is just so engaging and so well told, I need to see it through. Truly some Naughty Dog-tier storytelling in this game. Strip out all the cutscenes and assemble them together, and you have the best Spider-Man film ever, by a pretty wide margin. I can't wait to see where they take it from here, my only nit pick is now long it takes for the story to really get moving in earnest.

I've still not heavily invested in the traversal skill tree but I'm much better at swinging - chasing flying things in side missions is good for honing your skills. I think the most apt description of the swinging is "easy to grasp, difficult to master".

The traversal skill tree was a bit of a disappointment, in that the vast majority of the skills don't actually relate to traversal. Aside from the high jump, trick, and jump after landing skills, all three trees basically just affect combat.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I played the demo at expos so had some decent understanding of the movement system already. What's making swinging better for me now is the more dangerous city and the constant increases in speed whenever I level up. I'm at level 32 now and swinging at speed, especially during missions or combat, is just phenomenal. You feel REALLY agile. I felt pretty lithe but not Spider-Man agile earlier in the game

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
That's a bit of a shame, we've already seen him in a similar role a decade prior. At least it seems pretty well told.

Those were my thoughts exactly, but I really enjoyed how they did most of it here, and I think the facial capture and voice work for Otto is probably one of the best in the game.

As hammy as it may have been some scenes, it never felt overdone or out of place. If you like what you're getting now I think you'll like the overall conclusion.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So what did the statue end up being?
Just a pile of wreckage of all of the sinisiter six. So Oc's tentacle, Rhino's horn, Scorpion's tail, etc

It's okay. It's a cool idea, but looks a bit messy. The whole way they handled it was really dumb imo, a bit misstep in an otherwise incredible marketing campaign. Considering just how early in the game you meet and figure out the reason they kept it hidden, it just pissed me off.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Some are easier than others and overall difficulty varies wildly with suit powers, suit mods, and gadget use. If you're having trouble with one I'd hold off until you unlock more stuff. As you level up at certain points your melee attacks will do more damage and you'll have more health too.

If you want to power through check your current loadout and try something else to see if you have more success.
Okay cool. I wasn't sure how how uniform they were. I'll hold off and do more story missions and then go back to them. mostly just wanted to grind some of the tokens for unlocks.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my favorite Doc Ock story ever.

As a longtime fan of Spidey, every single moment of this game has been nothing but happiness for me.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
People put too much emphasis on shock revelations or plot twists in order to call a story good. This game doesn't really have that but it's an amazing journey, so well crafted.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Game is incredible. Pretty bland and uninspired start, but imo it just gets better and better and better. The characterisation of some of the core characters is among the best I've seen for the IP, (eg Doc Oc) and I just love how the stakes in the story and world continue to be upped.

Some very cool segments and scenes throughout, like the massive armoured truck city chase and everything that follows; which seemed almost like it was straight out of an Uncharted set piece, GCT and eventually giving Spidey orders and so many other cool moments or environments. You can tell a massive amount of love and care went in to these scenes. The production values are simply off the chain.

Nov 14, 2017
I could definitely check this myself but I assume whatever suit you wear shows up in the cut scenes as well? I wasn't a huge fan of the Advanced Suit but I've really come around on it as I've played the game.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Game is incredible. Pretty bland and uninspired start, but imo it just gets better and better and better. The characterisation of some of the core characters is among the best I've seen for the IP, (eg Doc Oc) and I just love how the stakes in the story and world continue to be upped.

Some very cool segments and scenes throughout, like the massive armoured truck city chase and everything that follows; which seemed almost like it was straight out of an Uncharted set piece, GCT and eventually giving Spidey orders and so many other cool moments or environments. You can tell a massive amount of love and care went in to these scenes. The production values are simply off the chain.
Yes! Like each act feels like a graphic novel story line and hits all the right beats. I wish I was at home so I could finish it! Is this an Insomniac original story or did they bring in any Marvel writers to help out? I'd buy the graphic novelization of this in a heartbeat.
end of act 2/start of act 3 spoiler
You knew Doc Ock was going to fall, the motivation they give him makes him more sympathetic than he was in Raimi's Spider-Man 2. It's one of the best video game examples of dramatic irony I've seen. When he finally shows all the arms and knowing Pete helped to create this just adds to the tension and you want Ock to realize what he's doing and snap out of it.
Seriously, this blows my mind with how well they nailed the main characters while writing their own story.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Would love to have seen this Ben Reily costume in it. Maybe they can add it in at some point for the DLC's.

MU0q7HN.gif
Looks like the insomniac costume was heavily inspired by this one.

I also really like this one.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
The mission that ended with the helicopter setpiece was awesome from beginning to end. Until this I have only been liking the game, but now I'm hooked.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I will start to play today and im very excited to know that the set pieces are awesome.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I think it's more surprising that his arms changing his brain isnt the reason he goes evil. He clearly planned on going after Osborn long before the arms affected his mind.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People put too much emphasis on shock revelations or plot twists in order to call a story good. This game doesn't really have that but it's an amazing journey, so well crafted.
Yep, people were disappointed when the statue started leaking, but it was clearly a long-form Spidey story with lots of investment/development...

It's about the journey, not the endpoint. Not the surprises.

I could definitely check this myself but I assume whatever suit you wear shows up in the cut scenes as well? I wasn't a huge fan of the Advanced Suit but I've really come around on it as I've played the game.
Yup. It's fantastic, all the suits look excellent - several look significantly better in cutscenes than in gameplay, what with the better lighting.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Beat the story, did a majority of the side junk.

Overall, kinda short, but... I'm not sure it was a bad thing.

The side content generally respected my time, and derivative or not, that's a laudible improvement in my book. As for the story, despite being fairly short, we got a beginning, middle, and end, along with several character arcs that have quality pay out by the credits, which is all more than I can claim for another certain sony exclusive that i still loved this year. Even with the teasers at the end, i feel like we got a complete game, even if sony is obviously planning as many sequels as they can get away with. I want more, and I hope the dlc provides more than what i expect of modern dlc.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes! Like each act feels like a graphic novel story line and hits all the right beats. I wish I was at home so I could finish it! Is this an Insomniac original story or did they bring in any Marvel writers to help out? I'd buy the graphic novelization of this in a heartbeat.
end of act 2/start of act 3 spoiler
You knew Doc Ock was going to fall, the motivation they give him makes him more sympathetic than he was in Raimi's Spider-Man 2. It's one of the best video game examples of dramatic irony I've seen. When he finally shows all the arms and knowing Pete helped to create this just adds to the tension and you want Ock to realize what he's doing and snap out of it.
Seriously, this blows my mind with how well they nailed the main characters while writing their own story.

Good question, I'm not entirely sure but I'm guessing it's Insomniac's story.

Also, I only visited NY a little while ago, so seeing so many of the landmarks and Grand Central Station etc was just extra cool for me. I know it's not an exact copy, but they got in some of the most important bits and did a solid job, so much so that it brought back memories of my recent touristy holiday lol.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
So the game doesn't really spell this out but when does each act start/end? I'll put it in spoilers but I'll try to be as spoiler free as possible. I haven't finished the game but I fell like I'm pretty far in. If I'm wrong someone let me know so I can adjust expectations on where I am.

Act 1:
Fisk takedown to event at city hall

Act 2:
Church to Subway fight

Act 3:
Last prosthetic to credits?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Am I the only one who is just constantly webbing enemies and throwing them at the wall to get rid of them asap? :p

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
MJ is a great character but boy do I not like
playing as her.

Also whats the best way to go about getting the birds bane trophy?

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Oh thanks! I didn't realize since I have notifications turned off so I wouldn't get taken out of the game.
Ah, I guess that could explain why some people didn't know. I never turned those off because I like the rewarding little feeling I get when I know I got a trophy.
Is this an Insomniac original story or did they bring in any Marvel writers to help out? I'd buy the graphic novelization of this in a heartbeat.
Totally original story, and yes, they brought in Marvel writers to help out. Insomniac and Marvel Games' office are very close to each other, so they collaborated a lot. On top of that, they brought in Christos Gage and Dan Slott to help with the script, but the latter only for an early advisory role.

In case you didn't know, there's also a prequel novel that takes place several months before the events of the game. It's called Marvel's Spider-Man: Hostile Takeover.