• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I really, really don't understand why they'd make 165 crimes mandatory for 100% completion when you get enough crime tokens to unlock everything after doing half of that and there's only ten or so different crimes. How could they think this would be a good idea (and put a trophy behind it)?

They just picked a huge number to pad the game out an extra five hours. Wild.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not really sure what you mean "standards" - it's hardly a type of game without precedent. There's been plenty of other Spider-Man games that attempted this type of open world traversal (with very limited success, but Spider-Man 2 was incredible in it's time), the Arkham games had an open city with aerial traversal that I really enjoyed. Also Insomniac themselves have done well with fun traversal in Sunset Overdrive and Infamous. There's plenty of games it can be compared to in that regard, and besides that the story and side activities are pretty standard stuff in terms of structure and mechanics.

Insomniac didn't do Infamous, why is everyone saying this ? !

RhoMu31

Oct 31, 2017
I finished the game last night, it was a good solid 3 star game.

Getting around the city feels great and the main story was pulpy fun.

The side missions could have done with a bit more personality and variety

Looking forward to them building on this for the inevitable sequel.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at the love for this game. The experience is just as shallow and empty as the numerous superhero films we get each year. They did a good job on the look of the city at least.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Act 2 last night. Good stuff.

We all knew who the last super villain would be, but the journey getting there was great. And Octavius' motivation for making the arms was also good, seeing that his body is failing him. I'm loving the whole "NY on fire" thing going right now, too. I was running out of thugs to beat up, so all of the prisoners on the streets breathes some new excitement for combat for me.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe people pick suits for the aesthetics. I'm having to stick with the Iron Spider suit for the spider-arms perk. Makes dealing with crowds or multiple heavy thugs a piece of cake.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to get home from work and platinum this. This would be my first platinum trophy as I'm usually not a completionist but this game is just so good.

I immediately bought the season pass after finishing the story, I can't wait for more content.

Is there a list of what you have to do to get the platinum?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Just for shits and giggles I turned off HDR to see what the game looks like... hell nope. Made everything looks very bland and flat

HDR looks a million times better in this game, I know some mentioned that the HDR implementation isn't the best they've seen, but it's perfect in my book.
For me & my TV, it's the best use of HDR I've seen for any game. Everything is so vibrant. This is how HDR is supposed to work.

I can't believe people pick suits for the aesthetics. I'm having to stick with the Iron Spider suit for the spider-arms perk. Makes dealing with crowds or multiple heavy thugs a piece of cake.
You can use the arms with any suit. You do know that you can switch your suit powers with any suit, right?

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Kinda surprised how buggy the game is.

I've copped the CE-34878-0 error once and it seems to be popping up on Twitter.

NPCs floating up buildings Poochy style, NPCs randomly on top of stuff they shouldn't be, leaves blowing in the wind...inside F.E.A.S.T.

Not a huge deal or anything, just kinda surprising.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I think its pretty hard to rate Spider-Man properly. Like, what standards do you apply?
It has many flaws and shortcomings, but it also is the first open world game where the traversal itself feels fun to me.
Strictly comparing it to other open world titles. I like it better than Witcher 3(which I would rate in the low-mid 80s), but not as much as Horizon Zero Dawn(which I would rate in the low 90s).
Spidey's traversal literally makes all the open world busy work stuff fun to me.

Game of the generation for me.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Just for shits and giggles I turned off HDR to see what the game looks like... hell nope. Made everything looks very bland and flat

HDR looks a million times better in this game, I know some mentioned that the HDR implementation isn't the best they've seen, but it's perfect in my book.
Yep, game looks phenomenal with HDR

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a new costume and i am a bit disappointed.

I thought the 2099 spider-man costume would have the techno shine to it as it did in shattered dimensions and edge of time games.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I went to play the Spider-man that I had been given for my birthday and after installing it I was surprised to see that it was completely in English. I have searched for language selector and do not have, I checked that I had received the PAL UK version.

Searching online I have found that for some reason Insomniac has released different PAL versions with different languages and what is worse, you can not combine different dubs with different subs.

If for example you want to play with texts in spanish and voices in English, you can not. I was surprised because all the other Sony games that I have bought have come with all the European languages in the same game.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
man act 3 has got some stuff in it huh. I guess cos I keep stopping to do Bases.

there was a stealth mission in there that kinda just sucked all the momentum out of what I was doing...

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I wasn't too sold for the first few hours here. Combat was really damn good, story was fantastic, but side content and swinging were just OK. Disappointingly OK.

Now I'm into the later acts of the story and holy shit this is unbelievable. It really just escalates and escalates. And as you level up you get faster and faster, the swinging feels better and betters - especially as the world becomes more and more dangerous. And the more side content I do the more and more fun it becomes - some of the side missions are amazing.

The way it's toying with world design is amazing too. It takes the 'deserted thug cities' of the Arkham games but gives you a long time in the friendly, safe city before it all kicks off.

Fucking incredible

Had my jaw on the floor for the entirety of a mid-late game "boss" sequence (although it wasn't too boss-like)

Also

I unlocked the 'photograph little dolls' side quest costume

Fucking amazing, closest we'll get to the Symbiote outfit in this game, I'm sure

Last edited:

BumblebeeCody

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got around to making a mini combo video. Hopefully to show how in depth and stylish the combat system is. Enjoy!

I've been playing a lot but still not finished it. That said, I love the combat system and I'll be doing a full combo video soon!

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Would love to have seen this Ben Reily costume in it. Maybe they can add it in at some point for the DLC's.

MU0q7HN.gif

Nyteshade517

Oct 25, 2017

Just swap out the Suit Power

Once you unlock those when you craft a new Suit you can then use it on any suit in the game...so you can have the Spider Arms thing on the Classic Suit or the Guitar Riff thing on Spider-Man 2099

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
You know what would be great for a sequel (or heck to even add as DLC into this one)?

A "Make Your Own Costume" feature. Either design your own or everyone can upload their versions that you can choose from.

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure how far I am into the campaign, so ONLY click the spoiler if you've finished the game.

Holy fuck! I wasn't expecting to see Miles Morales, and I certainly wasn't expecting to control him. T'was only a small part, but a really fucking good part. Shit turned dark at the award ceremony for Jefferson. RIP to a bro :(

So far I'm loving it. It would be a 9.5/10 if the side missions weren't filler, well, the ones I've done so far felt like it. Witcher 3 spoiled me on side quest quality tbh, but still, it's a fantastically fun game. As of now I'd give it an 8.5/10

Yey for arbitrary numbers!

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
I finished this last night at like 89% Completion and the game is amazing. It's the first open-world game I finished this entire generation. I'll go back to 100% it for sure.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Pulled off a 156 hit combo last night, felt pretty...spectacular. Wish there were some bonuses for hitting high combos, lol.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Really enjoying the game so far, combat is a pleasant suprise as well. Traversal is good thankfully, but the one thing that is bothering me is the lack of options while wall running, especially horizontally. The game doesnt seem to be designed to let you wall jump/bounce between parallel buildings on narrow streets for example, nor can you use the charged jump ability while on a wall. All spiderman ever does is this little pirouette jump at a 45 degree angle that doesnt get you anywhere, you cant really control angle or distance. In a game that gives you several tools for traversal, this aspect is suprisingly rigid and static. Not to mention that the 1 wall jump animation spiderman has gets very repetative. I hope this something they can adress in a future patch.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Given that things start to ramp up later into the story, does the game ever end up kind of narrowing you down a path and taking away your freedom between some missions? Somewhat like how FFXV let you free roam in the first 2/3 then it became way more linear towards the end.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
I went to play the Spider-man that I had been given for my birthday and after installing it I was surprised to see that it was completely in English. I have searched for language selector and do not have, I checked that I had received the PAL UK version.

Searching online I have found that for some reason Insomniac has released different PAL versions with different languages and what is worse, you can not combine different dubs with different subs.

If for example you want to play with texts in spanish and voices in English, you can not. I was surprised because all the other Sony games that I have bought have come with all the European languages in the same game.

Iirc, they said they're aware of the demand for that and are looking into it.

Last edited:

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Man... I'll wait for them to add the option to choose (and mix) the language of the audio/subtitles to finally play the full game. The localization for Brazilian Portuguese is pretty bad and they don't give the option to play with subtitles that are not in the same language as the audio.

There's a lot of people complaining about this (not just Brazilians). I hope they add this option as soon as possible.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Man this game is incredible. I went on a media blackout until launch and I feel I'm far enough in the game to post in threads. I've been bingeing side content pretty much as it becomes available. I've cleared everything (including golds on all challenges/bases) available to me and I'm starting to wonder if I can get all suits and gadgets or if there's a token limit that will prevent me from doing so. I only have 2 suits left to unlock.

Current story position:
I just beat Mister Negative and Octavius just finished his arms

How long until the rest of the side missions unlock? Based on positioning and quantity of tokens I'm missing I guess it's:
A new base type, probably Sable, and 2 sets of crime token givers

Am I right?

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I just finished the story and I have to say that the game is amazing. It's the most well paced open world main quest out there. It knows when to ramp up the pace and when to slow down. Combine the pacing with great combat and traversal system and you have an exceptional game. The story is solid for a super hero game and the game has some good character like Peter himself and MJ. If I had to score it right now I would give it a 9 or 9,5. The sequel can be the GOAT if it gives us meaningful side content.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Finished Act 2 last night. Good stuff.

We all knew who the last super villain would be, but the journey getting there was great. And Octavius' motivation for making the arms was also good, seeing that his body is failing him. I'm loving the whole "NY on fire" thing going right now, too. I was running out of thugs to beat up, so all of the prisoners on the streets breathes some new excitement for combat for me.
Yeah, I'm having fun with that going on right now, too. I find myself randomly web striking dudes sniping me from rooftops.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
so i'm probably about 1/2 through the story, and I have a question. do the "clearing the base" side missions have different difficulty rankings?

I did one of them, but died a bunch and then tried a second and it was the same thing. just wondering if I should wait until i'm a bit higher level to bother with those or not.

Nov 14, 2017
Loving the game so far. The only activity I've done so far I didn't like was the Harry Osborn research station.

The combat is pretty fast-paced and I can feel myself getting better at it each time I play but I do feel like I'm dying a lot from either not healing quickly enough or missing my dodges. The big brute guys fuck me up every time because I kinda go combo crazy and forget about webbing people up.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Given that things start to ramp up later into the story, does the game ever end up kind of narrowing you down a path and taking away your freedom between some missions? Somewhat like how FFXV let you free roam in the first 2/3 then it became way more linear towards the end.
I wouldn't say so.

I just love swinging through the city, feels great!

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, full freedom until the end.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I know Octavius is Doc Ock. Everybody knows that. All these red flags in the game are telling me that. Am I going to be surprised by anything he does?
For context, he's only just got the equipment back and keeps going on about being 'more.'

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Before I decide if I'm going for the Platinum or not: do you have to finish all bonus objectives for all the crime/base missions? Or do you just have to complete the required amount and get the right amount of tokens for unlocking all gadgets/suits?

Also spoiler for a mid-game side mission involving a Spidey villain:
Can I just say Taskmaster using a fake world icon to lure you into a fight is near Psycho Mantis levels of fuckery and I am all for it. Him just showing up to beat on me was a complete surprise and probably my favorite moment of the game so far.