• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
except then people would've had to wait until December to get the DLC.

And we couldn't have continued to get feedback from the first chapter as we finished the third.

Understand what you're saying, but I'm confident the release strategy was correct.
Thanks for stopping by.

First time playing the game so release schedule doesn't matter to me but what's stopping this edition to have the game and the dlc on the disc?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly qualifies a game to have a "game of the year" edition? This has always confused me. I didn't think Spider-Man was even close to the majority of last year's awards.

Regardless I haven't gotten around to the game yet and as someone who's both on a Marvel high and bummed by the Spidey news, this is a pretty big incentive to scoop it up...

Jan 20, 2019
What exactly qualifies a game to have a "game of the year" edition? This has always confused me. I didn't think Spider-Man was even close to the majority of last year's awards.

Regardless I haven't gotten around to the game yet and as someone who's both on a Marvel high and bummed by the Spidey news, this is a pretty big incentive to scoop it up...

There is multiple game of the year awards and Spider Man won some of them.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Bummer about the DLC.

Does the disc have some patches at least? Can anyone confirm?

If not then I might as well buy vanilla for 15-20.

Sep 25, 2018
*sigh*. I bought this game at launch and am just now getting around to playing it and this happens and makes me feel like an ass for buying at launch. I paid $60 and don't have DLC. I'm trying to get better at waiting until I have time for a game to buy it but it's hard...

wait a month and it will drop in price

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
The DLC is only "bad" because for someone idiotic reason they took a really short DLC (in comparison to something meaty like Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds) and decided to make it even shorter by breaking it up into three parts and selling it individually, and releasing them monthly. This resulting in some people playing the first part or the second part and kinda left feeling, "Is that it?"

However if they would have just released the damn thing in one singular package it would have been a lot more well received, because as you said it is more of what makes the game great and as a whole I love the DLC. They just took some horrible advice from whoever came up with the idea of splitting the damn thing into three parts and selling those parts individually.
I agree that I wish the DLC was one whole package. I didn't like how the 3 were separate but wouldn't label it bad.

Maybe for the next game they'll just have a big expansion instead of smaller DLC. The worst part about it was the costumes didn't do anything, I didn't use all the costume powers a ton but it was sool.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
except then people would've had to wait until December to get the DLC.

And we couldn't have continued to get feedback from the first chapter as we finished the third.

Understand what you're saying, but I'm confident the release strategy was correct.

Glad you replied, because I did in fact notice the final DLC was the best of the bunch, and I noticed that it was completely void of the Miles/MJ sections that were somewhat of a point of contention with the fans, and in my opinion it was the better for it. Was the final DLC (and possibly the second, can't remember) lacking those sections a result of the feedback you mentioned, or would you be saying to much by revealing that?

Also, what are the chances of an Into the Spider-Verse Miles costume, the badass one with the hoodie?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that is a great deal! O:
Didn't enjoy the DLC episodes as much as the main game, but this is still a big, super polished package for just 40 bucks.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
so what's a few more months?

About 60 days

latest

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I agree that I wish the DLC was one whole package. I didn't like how the 3 were separate but wouldn't label it bad.

Maybe for the next game they'll just have a big expansion instead of smaller DLC. The worst part about it was the costumes didn't do anything, I didn't use all the costume powers a ton but it was sool.

I didn't mind that about the later costumes lacking powers, I mean we got so many free costumes and look at what a lot of these lesser games are charging for different costumes. I felt the love from the developers with the amount of costumes, with some like Future Foundation releasing long after they had any reason to continue to do so.

I do agree that no matter what the DLC shouldn't have been split up, even if just for the perception of it. It also came out too soon after the game, which led to a lot of people saying "Durr well why wasn't that in the game." So, I think just for perception reasons the DLC shouldn't have come out until at least several months later, and it should have been one package.

That's not to say you can't have separate DLCs, if you notice no one's complaining about the Witcher 3's Blood & Wine and Hearts of Stone, it's just that a DLC the length of the Spidey one comes off better when played as one cohesive package, thus you wouldn't have so many spreading the false narrative that the Spidey DLC is "bad."

Literally the only thing that was questionable about the game was the handling of the DLC, but look at the bright side, only us Day Oners (and there were a lot of us) will remember that now as this Game of the Year edition effectively erases that problem for future webheads.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

It's just used as a marketing term here. Game of the Year is not an offical title either, thousands of gaming outlets, forums etc. small and big give that title to different games. Spider-Man also received the third most GOTY awards after God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2 in 2018 according to: https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got it?

Are some patches on the disc or is it exactly like the vanilla one?

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Sorry to bump this old thread, but it seemed like the most applicable place to ask:

Anyone familiar enough with Insomniac to be able to give an educated guess on if they'll release a definitive edition someday with all DLC on physical media (say in a Greatest Hits edition or otherwise)? I know they've re-released a lot of Batman games, but I don't know how they've dealt with those releases with DLC.

I'm one of those weirdos who still likes to have everything on disc for games that I want to keep in my permanent collection, and I was really disappointed to see they went the voucher route.