• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played it, I've just watched two YouTube reviews from a couple of well-known reviewers. One common theme, the story is great. The other common theme, the game is extremely repetitive. One of the reviewer's even described it like a cell phone game where are you doing the same move over and over by touching the screen.

Repetitive in the campaign? I don't think so, you switch characters so often, and they all feel so different. There's some real depth to the combat if you want to engage in it. You can get by with button mashing on normal, but I don't think that's the games fault if you choose to play it that way.

I honestly forget how many moves I have unlocked on each character, it's a lot to take in during the heat of combat, lol.

I mean, that's not really how it works. If the second half of the game is mediocre, it shouldn't get an 8 because part of the game is.

The main complaint ive seen on this site towards this game is the GAAS focus. A person like that could buy this game and be satisfied with the campaign I believe whole heartedly, all I meant. The GAAS part is no more repetitive than Destiny, the characters all feel way more different in playstyle than Titan/Lock/Hunter, TBH. I know the raids won't match up, but it's not like the MP is terrible, it's standard GAAS stuff, you either like it or you don't. You're gonna be doing the same shit a lot, over and over.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The main complaint ive seen on this site towards this game is the GAAS focus. A person like that could buy this game and be satisfied with the campaign I believe whole heartedly, all I meant.

Yes, but that isn't how a review score should be decided on. They need to review the entire game as a whole.

The GAAS part is no more repetitive than Destiny

Yeah, gonna disagree there. As many will. The core gameplay of Avengers doesn't remotely touch the gunplay of Destiny. It also doesn't have the art direction and varied areas of Destiny. There's a reason why Destiny continues to thrive while others in the genre flounder.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (3 days): Hostility and antagonistic behavior
Yes, but that isn't how a review score should be decided on. They need to review the entire game as a whole.

Yeah, gonna disagree there. As many will. The core gameplay of Avengers doesn't remotely touch the gunplay of Destiny. It also doesn't have the art direction and varied areas of Destiny. There's a reason why Destiny continues to thrive while others in the genre flounder.

Honestly dude, I don't really give a fuck to argue with a Destiny fanboy. I gave my brief opinion for anyone who cared, I wasn't trying to convert anyone.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
It also doesn't have the art direction and varied areas of Destiny.
This part will be taken care of over time. One of their first biggest expansions is Wakanda and Black Panther. It was supposed to be announced at the last war table, but it was postponed in the wake of Chadwick's passing.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

No, just because people didn't bother to learn what you could do does not mean that's all that's there.

I'd like to actually see some stuff like this in a full 4 person lobby with all of the different enemy types and effects going off at once. Showing impressive combos against individual enemies that can be easily stunned when the game is a 4 player title with a ton of stuff always going on isn't really that convincing.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'd like to actually see some stuff like this in a full 4 person lobby with all of the different enemy types and effects going off at once. Showing impressive combos against individual enemies that can be easily stunned when the game is a 4 player title with a ton of stuff always going on isn't really that convincing.

This is true, but at-least you can pull these type of combos in the campaign?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This part will be taken care of over time. One of their first biggest expansions is Wakanda and Black Panther. It was supposed to be announced at the last war table, but it was postponed in the wake of Chadwick's passing.

I hope so. There are certainly plenty of worlds in the Marvel universe that would be great for a game like this.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible. 4 players is what would make it possible to begin with.

Characters have roles to fulfill

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017

Well you would be way more likely to see it in that scenario than single player just due to aggro being distributed among the 4 players.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I hope so. There are certainly plenty of worlds in the Marvel universe that would be great for a game like this.
Yep, and they've hinted at a bunch. The outlook is very positive for them, they just have to fix these bugs, keep tweaking the gameplay and keep a steady flow of content.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Well you would be way more likely to see it in that scenario than single player just due to aggro being distributed among the 4 players.
Any links? Because every single time something is shared it's a single hero mashing on a lowly grunt.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Any links? Because every single time something is shared it's a single hero mashing on a lowly grunt.

Nah, just saying it wouldn't be very hard to achieve with 4 good players based on the few match made activities I've done with just one other person. The game definitely plays differently when every enemy isn't focused on you.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Would be like looking for a needle in a haystack , most footage online is senseless mashing plus match making is wack atm. Just speaking from experience of the few times I did mp.

A widow or iron man zipping around killing gunners already goes a long way towards letting others combo melee threats

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Its funny, I can understand that Destiny's gunplay is a contender for best of the entire genre, while Avenger's likely isn't anywhere near the top, but when it the gameplay system I'd prefer to engage with for hundreds of hours, its easily the brawler gameplay of Avengers because I just don't like FPS very much.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Would be like looking for a needle in a haystack , most footage online is senseless mashing plus match making is wack atm. Just speaking from experience of the few times I did mp
I find it crazy how people seem in disbelief that training on HARM Room would grant people a better sense of how to react in the game's missions. Why people think the HARM Missions are even there?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Its funny, I can understand that Destiny's gunplay is a contender for best of the entire genre, while Avenger's likely isn't anywhere near the top, but when it the gameplay system I'd prefer to engage with for hundreds of hours, its easily the brawler gameplay of Avengers because I just don't like FPS very much.

Totally get that.

And I enjoy the gameplay in Avengers for what it is. I don't need it to be deep or anything.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
If nothing else, having those daily missions for the challenge cards has helped me use my full arsenal. Also unlocking specialization sand getting gear that triggers status effects or ups stun damage by specific moves reveals how satisfying the game can get. I think my biggest issue combat wise is the over-reliance on uninterruptible beam attacks that can stun lock you to death. there is definitely room for improvement there. Very curious to see how the raid evquivalents go down as I've started to notice other players and myself sort of divvying up the battles ie Hulk goes and Argos the big mechs while I as cap knock out all the turrets and flying drones, Kamala is crowd control for trash mobs and Black Widow ripping loose on high priority targets.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Have enjoyed what I've played of the campaign, hope they fix the bugs on PC. Like most Gaas titles it's getting a mixed reception but so did Destiny/R6 Siege/Sea of Thieves etc., hopefully they stick with it and build it up.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it, I've just watched two YouTube reviews from a couple of well-known reviewers. One common theme, the story is great. The other common theme, the game is extremely repetitive. One of the reviewer's even described it like a cell phone game where are you doing the same move over and over by touching the screen.
Must be playing it on normal or easy to rush the review if they are playing it like a cell phone game, which is very possible on easy or normal. Brutal is where the fun is, though it may be annoying for some that don't want that kind of gameplay. Then you will use all of your tools available to you.

Lyon

Jun 5, 2019
Honestly dude, I don't really give a fuck to argue with a Destiny fanboy. I gave my brief opinion for anyone who cared, I wasn't trying to convert anyone.

Wow, that escalated quickly. Someone disagreeing with you does not mean they're arguing, trying to invalidate your thoughts, etc.

This is a forum; persons say things, some read and move on, some read and reply. If you can't handle or don't want persons to reply, but still want to voice your thoughts, there are plenty of other means of doing so.

n.b. You make it seem as if you hadn't found a history of positive Destiny posts, you would have been fine having an Avengers vs Destiny arguement.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Wow, that escalated quickly. Someone disagreeing with you does not mean they're arguing, trying to invalidate your thoughts, etc.

This is a forum; persons say things, some read and move on, some read and reply. If you can't handle or don't want persons to reply, but still want to voice your thoughts, there are plenty of other means of doing so.

n.b. You make it seem as if you hadn't found a history of positive Destiny posts, you would have been fine having an Avengers vs Destiny arguement.

The funny part is that I've both defended Destiny and I've been negative on it. Made a thread a couple months back shitting on one of its recent events. I am a fan, not a fanboy. I fully recognize and discuss its flaws.

I've also defended Avengers and spoken negatively on it.

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you got called out for your dumb comment on how the game should be at least an 8 alone based on the SP, when that's like 1/3 of the game; and makes zero sense, then you got all hostile. I'm not even a big Destiny fan, but the foundation and content they had day 1 with D2 destroys what The Avengers has.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I mean you got called out for your dumb comment on how the game should be at least an 8 alone based on the SP, when that's like 1/3 of the game; and makes zero sense, then you got all hostile. I'm not even a big Destiny fan, but the foundation and content they had day 1 with D2 destroys what The Avengers has.

Dumb comment, lol. I'm just saying a person could completely ignore the MP aspect if they want a solid campaign and to me, it's a solid 8 from that aspect. But, I don't know why I'm even bothering.

My first mistake was posting in a review thread. These threads are always dumpster fires.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Would be like looking for a needle in a haystack , most footage online is senseless mashing plus match making is wack atm. Just speaking from experience of the few times I did mp.

A widow or iron man zipping around killing gunners already goes a long way towards letting others combo melee threats
Based on what I played in the beta, I feel like it would be really tough to get 4 players (even if they're an existing friend group) to coordinate even a single flashy combo with latency taken into account in a typical mission. Everything just gets too crazy.

I actually wanted this game to succeed. I assumed it would pull Destiny sales numbers/engagement numbers and receive a ton of post launch support. I love the Marvel universe, and was planning on buying it 2-3 months from now for $40 on Black Friday or something.

But looking at the Twitch viewership numbers, I'm worried about this game long term. I would have guessed it would be top 4/5 games in terms of viewed all weekend.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
While you certainly do have to look at all parts of a game, you don't have to consider all parts equally. I certainly didn't score Metroid Prime 2 down back in the day because of tacked on, boring multiplayer for example. I wrote about it and acknowledged it. I also however thought that there was more than enough fantastic content in the single player game to more than justify the game. I think one could make the same argument with Avengers. A fantastic single player game, that the multiplayer is kind of mediocre doesn't bother me at all. I just won't play it. I got more enjoyment out of the single player mode than the vast majority of such games. I'm not reviewing it, but if I was I'd give it a good score.

Probably another argument for why scores don't really make sense though and we'd all be a lot better off if we just read reviews instead of glancing at scores and moving on. This is a very different game if you're someone who just wants a good, reasonable length single player game which will continue to receive new single player content going forward than it is if you're someone who wants a GAAS to spend the next couple years of their lives grinding with. I strongly recommend the game to one of those players (who more closely matches my tastes in gaming admittedly) while I'd be hesitant to do so to the other. There's no good way to communicate that with a number.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Hmm ok...

From browsing this thread it seems like the only smart move is to pick this up in the 20-30€ range, play the campaign and quickly sell on eBay.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Based on what I played in the beta, I feel like it would be really tough to get 4 players (even if they're an existing friend group) to coordinate even a single flashy combo with latency taken into account in a typical mission. Everything just gets too crazy.
You're misunderstanding what we are saying , it's not that 4 players would combo one foe, but everyone doing their jobs that let everyone do the crazier things. While Im sure some people will post team combos in due time there is typically enough enemies for everyone to focus down their targets.

The beta is a really mediocre slice of the combat (low level characters are overly basic)

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Yeah, one of my biggest gripes atm is too many of the dungeons are designed too cramped for all of the action but when you have multiple players who know their roles taking on elites and such it can really shine.

I had a moment last night where I was styling on an elite enemy with Cap and after a quick flash the enemy disappeared and I thought it had bugged out.

Turns out Thor had nailed him mid combo with a hammer throw and he was pinned to the wall next to me.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A few reviews over the last day

Gaming Bolt 5/10

Shacknews 8/10

Worth A Buy 4/5/10 (thumbs down)

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I actually get to do a good amount with AI with me, though they do be messing up my attempts to line up a lot of enemies for multi hit via punchthrough/palm through abilities. I can only imagine it being better with four players, especially if Kamala tank is in the group grabbing (actually long ranged grabbing) and placing strays near her, then going embiggened for the taunt passive and self healing.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
What? This is absolutely a bad score compared to it's budget, developer, publisher and license expectations. I will bet you this was planned to be a 90+ title, emails to the bigger outlets are already out and heads will probably roll.
In no situation is "low 70's not a bad score" for a service game AAA Megabudget title.
I found the Beta to be joyless, lifeless and as thrilling as watching a particularly dull patch of grass grow. The GAAS bs and the content carving are also really gross.

I still don't consider 7/10 to be a bad score. Bad game? Perhaps? But, since I'm not a shareholder for Square Enix, I don't need to concern myself with how the games scores compare to the expectations.

betawaychill

Jun 6, 2018
If nothing else, having those daily missions for the challenge cards has helped me use my full arsenal. Also unlocking specialization sand getting gear that triggers status effects or ups stun damage by specific moves reveals how satisfying the game can get. I think my biggest issue combat wise is the over-reliance on uninterruptible beam attacks that can stun lock you to death. there is definitely room for improvement there. Very curious to see how the raid evquivalents go down as I've started to notice other players and myself sort of divvying up the battles ie Hulk goes and Argos the big mechs while I as cap knock out all the turrets and flying drones, Kamala is crowd control for trash mobs and Black Widow ripping loose on high priority targets.
Agreed, the beams and rockets popping off faster than I can dodge them legit just isn't fun. I get so much enjoyment out of coming up with new, more efficient combos. When everything flows well (and I'm not getting pelted from 6 different turrets) the combat is so much fun.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I'm just saying a person could completely ignore the MP aspect if they want a solid campaign
I don't actually agree here. The story campaign is bogged down by those MP hooks. For many people, wandering around different bases being introduced to a parade of faction reps who sell you near-identical goods is going to be a pace-killer in the single player. Whether you are ultimately able to appreciate the single player over those things or not, they're definitely there, and they are going to affect people differently.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
i can see describing marvel's avengers as 'a nice follow-up' to marvel's spider-man, but, as much as batman was dc's 'breakthrough', spidey's already been there / done that for marvel...

This game isn't on Spider-Man's level of quality. At least in its current form. Those comparisons need to die.
Dumb comment, lol. I'm just saying a person could completely ignore the MP aspect if they want a solid campaign and to me, it's a solid 8 from that aspect. But, I don't know why I'm even bothering.

My first mistake was posting in a review thread. These threads are always dumpster fires.

I liked the campaign but I wouldn't even consider it an 8 on its own. An 8 to me is kind Spider-Man level of quality which this is not.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I don't actually agree here. The story campaign is bogged down by those MP hooks. For many people, wandering around different bases being introduced to a parade of faction reps who sell you near-identical goods is going to be a pace-killer in the single player. Whether you are ultimately able to appreciate the single player over those things or not, they're definitely there, and they are going to affect people differently.

I ignored pretty much everything about vendors aside from being forced to talk to them in their introductions, took maybe 5 minutes at both "bases", not really a pace killer, IMO.