• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Predicted low 70s, didn't expect it to be lower (which may happen). Still a few reviews to be added.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Will play for campaign and when character comes in but hell no...for the grind ...

Prediction gets great initial sales but the reaction to MTX and the GaaS will put square under pressure to fix the game and a new update in the next year where they say they adjust the game...

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Will play for campaign and when character comes in but hell no...for the grind ...

Prediction gets great initial sales but the reaction to MTX and the GaaS will put square under pressure to fix the game and a new update in the next year where they say they adjust the game...
The same Square that sells FFXI (my favorite game ever btw) and still require a sub to play? Naah, they know what they're doing, this isn't their first rodeo. The game is a good foundation for the future.

People, they let you know from the start that this would be a game as a service. And so far so good.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
The same Square that sells FFXI (my favorite game ever btw) and still require a sub to play? Naah, they know what they're doing, this isn't their first rodeo. The game is a good foundation for the future.

People, they let you know from the start that this would be a game as a service. And so far so good.
I mean the GAAS part of the game is awful so far. Buggy as hell, no mission variety, challenge cards contain no desirable rewards for the effort needed to complete them. I hope it gets better soon but I can't see a large number of people sticking with it in the short term.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh snap, hadn't realized this was out. After reading some of these reviews I think I can safely wait for it to hit the bargain bin (game might even get dramatically improved by then), or might just skip it and wait for an improved sequel.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the GAAS part of the game is awful so far. Buggy as hell, no mission variety, challenge cards contain no desirable rewards for the effort needed to complete them. I hope it gets better soon but I can't see a large number of people sticking with it in the short term.
With any GaaS game I would tell people to wait at least a month to see if the base game is enough for them. Then wait half a year at most to see how support and new content is. Jumping in early especially for a cost or subscription is usually risky, thankfully the main story stuff is very solid, to me at least, so there's stuff to do while the inevitable patches, changes, and updates happen. The game seems well funded, and it has a lot of faith in it being successful (name, developers, publisher) so I don't see them dropping support or giving up on it. Maybe this is where that Sony and Verizon type of money will help them too. Now they just need to adjust to working from home, and become a well oiled machine again.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
With any GaaS game I would tell people to wait at least a month to see if the base game is enough for them. Then wait half a year at most to see how support and new content is. Jumping in early especially for a cost or subscription is usually risky, thankfully the main story stuff is very solid, to me at least, so there's stuff to do while the inevitable patches, changes, and updates happen. The game seems well funded, and it has a lot of faith in it being successful (name, developers, publisher) so I don't see them dropping support or giving up on it. Maybe this is where that Sony and Verizon type of money will help them too. Now they just need to adjust to working from home, and become a well oiled machine again.
Yeah I agree. Putting it down now but I'll come back. It's still amazing to me though that Destiny 1 somehow did this better right out of the gate compared to any game since.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree. Putting it down now but I'll come back. It's still amazing to me though that Destiny 1 somehow did this better right out of the gate compared to any game since.
I remember Destiny having story mode complaints, having to look online or something to piece it together. Destiny 2 apparently had a more story driven approach.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Why are most of the positive reviews from publications with little to no gravitas? It's a bit suspicious.
Gamerheadquaters
GotGame
But Why Tho
Gamer Crate
etc.

I have nothing against new media btw, just weird that most positive scores also happen to be from obscure websites

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Why are most of the positive reviews from publications with little to no gravitas? It's a bit suspicious.
Gamerheadquaters
GotGame
But Why Tho
Gamer Crate
etc.

I have nothing against new media btw, just weird that most positive scores also happen to be from obscure websites

Maybe there would be something to it if no big sites gave it a good score but several have (Game informer, ign Spain for example)so it's all good. Plenty of smaller sites with no "gravitas" gave it bad scores too. I think it's just mixed overall and generally comes out to a 7/10 which is fine imo. I don't think anyone is being paid off if that is what you are getting at.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
70s. About what I guessed. Not a bad score.

What? This is absolutely a bad score compared to it's budget, developer, publisher and license expectations. I will bet you this was planned to be a 90+ title, emails to the bigger outlets are already out and heads will probably roll.
In no situation is "low 70's not a bad score" for a service game AAA Megabudget title.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Gamerheadquaters
GotGame
But Why Tho
Gamer Crate
etc.

Just checked Metacritic and I recognize half of the publications that gave it a score higher than 80 (Game Informer, Playstation Universe, Worth Playing) so it's not like it's just small publications giving it good scores. I imagine it's a combination of an Avengers game having mainstream appeal so a wider variety of publications are trying to cover it and a lot of the big publications are doing reviews-in-progress (due to its nature as a GaaS and due to them not getting a copy of the game until recently) and haven't given it an official score yet.

And well, it's a GaaS so launch reviews don't mean a whole lot. Path of Exile is a drastically different game now than it was in 2013-2014 (which is when all of the critic reviews on Metacritic for the game were posted).

Chuck795

May 7, 2020
What? This is absolutely a bad score compared to it's budget, developer, publisher and license expectations. I will bet you this was planned to be a 90+ title, emails to the bigger outlets are already out and heads will probably roll.
In no situation is "low 70's not a bad score" for a service game AAA Megabudget title.
Lol so dramatic.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Gamerheadquaters
GotGame
But Why Tho
Gamer Crate
etc.

Game Informer's Andrew Reiner gave an 8.75. A lot of obscure websites are giving the game negative scores. It seems that the public was ready to hate on this game either because of Spider-Man's exclusive deal, fanboy wars, being a GaaS and what have you. Some of my favorite game critics loved game critics liked (Andrew Reiner, Greg Miller) and some websites that I never heard of gave negative scores. Not sure what you call publications with gravitas, but if anything, the Open Critic is unusually low compared with Metacritic. Almost like giving this a negative review would generate more traffic.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017

Square isn't exactly infallible when it comes to GaaS.
The literal sequel to the game you mentioned needed to be basically remade.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Every games as a service has a low score. 70s is good for a launch for GaaS

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I will bet you this was planned to be a 90+ title,
tenor.gif
giphy.gif
0707d69172af38894644ff659f185830.gif
tenor.gif

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I don't know what to tell you then, outlets received emails for mid-80s on TLOU2, do you honestly think Squenix is happy with a 73 and it matched their expectations for the budget that went into this?
I'm sure they're fine with it. Most MP focused games get awful scores at launch.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
There was such a massive hate boner for this game coming from so many sides. DC fanboys, people that hate Marvel or superheroes in general(there are so many of these people btw the Scorsese threads here illustrated that,) alt-right like the Quatering and his copycats angry at Kamala, people that hate GaaS and the rage over the Spiderman exclusivity. I'm shocked it's sitting where it's at.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
There was such a massive hate boner for this game coming from so many sides. DC fanboys, people that hate Marvel or superheroes in general(there are so many of these people btw the Scorsese threads here illustrated that,) alt-right like the Quatering and his copycats angry at Kamala, people that hate GaaS and the rage over the Spiderman exclusivity. I'm shocked it's sitting where it's at.

it's the online bubble - this is tied with call of duty for most anticipated game of 2020 per neilson

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
And let's not even talk about the fact that one of the reviewers that most clearly gets the game isn't even listed on either Metacritic or Open Critic:

Gene Park writes for the Washington Post.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing for 6-7 hours, to me its a high 7 low 8. Im sure after a few months of patches and updates it will be even better. SO far im enjoying it.

Also the reviews are about what i expected. Scores under 6 though are kind of harsh IMO.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
And let's not even talk about the fact that one of the reviewers that most clearly gets the game isn't even listed on either Metacritic or Open Critic:

There's some cool stuff in this game, definitely. The problem for me is that this is just isolated training combo clips. So much of the game is trying to do that while the camera shakes, the frame rate struggles to stay above single digits, you're being shot from off screen, particle effects shower the screen, overlays from status effect obscure your vision, the camera zooms in to colonoscopy range even on wide combat camera, and allies knock enemies out of your combo leaving you swinging at nothing.

In practice, a lot of the game is just kind of a sloppy mess, even if it all feels ridiculously fucking cool when it clicks.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
There's some cool stuff in this game, definitely. The problem for me is that this is just isolated training combo clips. So much of the game is trying to do that while the camera shakes, the frame rate struggles to stay above single digits, you're being shot from off screen, particle effects shower the screen, overlays from status effect obscure your vision, the camera zooms in to colonoscopy range even on wide combat camera, and allies knock enemies out of your combo leaving you swinging at nothing.

In practice, a lot of the game is just kind of a sloppy mess, even if it all feels ridiculously fucking cool when it clicks.
I train on the harm rooms a lot, and I am able to translate that into the field missions. And I'm not the only one. I'm pretty sure others have already chimed in around here saying the same.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Low 70s is where I would have expected this to land. I still think it looks boring as hell, but a big AAA game has to do a lot more wrong to go lower.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to tell you then, outlets received emails for mid-80s on TLOU2, do you honestly think Squenix is happy with a 73 and it matched their expectations for the budget that went into this?
I doubt they care as long as it sells. For GAAS it's clearly the longterm engagement they're looking for.

I like the game quite a bit, but no way did I ever expect coming into a 9/10 or 10/10 experience. Seems like it was released a bit early given all of the bugs, and there hasn't been a GAAS period to score that high out of the gate, so I doubt that was the expectation.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017

Cool and all, but this is basically impossible in the normal game. There's no way you're pulling off a combo like that without getting staggered out of it by another enemy so you're better off just going with the short light, light, heavy, heavy combos.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
This game was/is never going to be a GOTY pick (popular one) the same year Animal Crossing, TLOU 2, Doom Eternal, Cyberpunk, (and hopefully) Demon's Souls, or Miles Morales, are all landing. I'm fine letting the game be it's own thing and grow over time 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
To be fair, i would guess the game could have been much more different back then, and SE/Marvel probably hoped for CD to pull off Tomb Raider critical reception for the game 🤷🏻‍♂️
I can't see Crystal Dynamics and Square thinking about making Avengers not a GaaS multiplayer experience. The power fantasy of becoming an Avenger demands that the game should be a multiplayer game as a service experience, imho.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018

How many hours do you have to grind to unlock those moves though? And then apply them to the same robot enemies in the samey missions and environments.

This game is the most mediocre game I've seen this gen. It's just meh. It's fun and frustrating at the same time. There's a ton of potential that's wasted behind heavy GaaS practices, meaningless grinds, repetitive missions and lots and lots of bugs.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
I can't see Crystal Dynamics and Square thinking about making Avengers not a GaaS multiplayer experience. The power fantasy of becoming an Avenger demands that the game should be a multiplayer game as a service experience, imho.
We will just have to agree to disagree then. I like the game we got, but there is nothing about grinding post campaign missions over and over again, trying to get invested in a fairly lack luster loot system, that makes me feel like i'm living my best Avengers power fantasy.