• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
'Avengers' review in progress: It's less 'Destiny' and more 'Streets of Rage 4.' And that's a compliment.

Having played the beta it can't be understated how poor all the heroes are at level 1. There are a lot of really nice tools, some downright essential, that are gated in the skill trees. And that was just in the beta with its singular skill tree; I've seen in vids that the others only exacerbate this more so.

Also, it's funny, I actually came up with the same Iron Man setup in said beta playtime. It's really satisfying using his laser like a shrink ray.

Opencritic down to 75
Meta to 72 (14 reviews)...

The scores are going to be pretty variable until the major outlets weigh in. And between GameInformer, Laura Kate Dale, and WaPo, things are potentially boding well.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
People tripping over themselves to shit on the scores in here but honestly this seems very solid for what is effectively a base game for a GaaS.
Its the reverse GaaS

usually the base story suck and the end game is excellent where in this games case

the story is excellent but the end game leaves much to be desired.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Marvel's Avengers looks like an absolutely-average scoring game and quite honestly I've got a huge variety of better choices to play.

It's still gonna be a best-seller.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Nice to see positive reviews, I had fun with the beta.
Say whatever you want about CD, but they can atleast ship a fuckin good/great AAA game in a reasonable about of time.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'll say this, as good as the story is you have to knock off points for broken matchmaking. Multiple points. Sitting there for 20 minutes trying to find a match is bullshit.

Odelpha

Oct 17, 2018
I've been finding matches in under a minute with Quick match on PS4 since early access started. Couple of minutes with mission selection.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
How long is the campaign? Because with the amount of free time that I get to play, typically I'm beating the campaigns of these games right around when the postgame gets significant content.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How long is the campaign? Because with the amount of free time that I get to play, typically I'm beating the campaigns of these games right around when the postgame gets significant content.

HLTB has it at about 11 hours for the core game & 19 hours if you do the optional stuff, which tracks with what I've read in this thread (some people beating it in around 10 hours, others spending a lot more).

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
72 on metacritic now. I knew it would fall given the time I spent with the beta. Still waiting for my free code for the full game..

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Does Esquire reviews usually count on Metacritic and Open Critic? Because damn.

The day is finally upon us: the Avengers have been let loose. It took months of internet uproar to get here. Like all things Marvel and Avengers—and really, all things video games—the arguing was relentless over everything having to do with this video game. There were complaints about the artistic direction, exhausting anger directed at the microtransactions, and most disappointingly, nerd rage over Kamala Khan's lead role, which is the kind of sexist, racist bullshit we've seen take a disgusting hold on gaming. No one was happy, especially after the lackluster headlines about the beta. "We don't like the art style!" "The art style is fine, but the combat sucks!" "The combat is fine, but why's the matchmaking slow?!"

Shut up, all of you.

I played Marvel's Avengers, a lot, and I'm here to say it's a flashy, heroic blast that brings the Avengers universe into the gaming realm seamlessly and faithfully. (I'm sure that I'll get hate mail for being positive about the game, and that I'll be deemed "idiotic" for failing to see its flaws, but listen, I'm just trying to have a nice time.) Marvel's Avengers is a good thing for 2020, one of the only good things. It is a perfectly fun game. Just accept it. Go get upset about politics or our crumbling society instead. So while it may pain you, here's a warm and fuzzy review of a game I happen to love.

While every Triple-A, blockbuster game goes through some sort of online troll rampage, this was a particularly perfect storm: a video game about the Avengers with a woman of color taking the lead. Kamala Khan, well, she's a massive Avengers fan, just like you all say you are, and following her story seven years after her comic debut, seeing how much she obviously loves these heroes, is powerful stuff. Endearing, too. Those unwilling to explore this game because it doesn't feature another Captain America or Iron Man plot leave a bad taste behind. What this review comes down to is: Avengers is more than worth picking up, as long as you're aware that it is a great game that is not Insomniac's Spider-Man. It is Marvel's much-needed breakthrough into the Triple-A, blockbuster game category, one of the few categories DC had the edge in until now. This could be the start of a new dynasty for Marvel.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017

EDIT

It's well written and informative. The review being provocative isn't a bad thing. I agree with a lot of the points on it.

This review is pretty bad. Nothing on level design, mission design etc.. Nothing about how the encounters play out, how deep the combat mechanics are.... etc.. The whole review is ` Kamala Khan is a fan of the avengers just like me and therefore game is awesome. I love Marvel and want them to compete with DC in games so this is a blast`

Its like the review you see from someone writing for Ilovecomicbookmovies.com or MCU4Life.com or something...

Last edited:

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
EDIT

This review is pretty bad. Nothing on level design, mission design etc.. Nothing about how the encounters play out, how deep the combat mechanics are.... etc.. The whole review is ` Kamala Khan is a fan of the avengers just like me and therefore game is awesome. I love Marvel and want them to compete with DC in games so this is a blast`

Its like the review you see from someone writing for Ilovecomicbookmovies.com or MCU4Life.com or something...
Reviews don't need to check all the boxes that you want them to. I like more relaxed and loose reviews.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Speaking as someone immensely hyped to play this game: dishonest fucking drivel. Ms. Marvel was the only reason the people who didn't like this game gave it have a fucking chance in the first place. Don't drag her into this. "Nerd rage". Whoever wrote this is full of it.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
Someone was racist and sexist towards the game? People disliked the gameplay and character design, never saw any negativity towards Kamala. Strange review tbh.
There is a lot of trolls on social media that hate Kamala. They already existed before she became the protagonist of the game, and they are out in full force lately because of the release of the game. We don't see it happening here, but it's definitely something a lot of people outside "Era's bubble" do talk about.

Speaking as someone immensely hyped to play this game: dishonest fucking drivel. Ms. Marvel was the only reason the people who didn't like this game gave it have a fucking chance in the first place. Don't drag her into this. "Nerd rage". Whoever wrote this is full of it.
If you can't recognize that there are actually a lot of people outside here trashing this game because it has a Muslim teenager as the protagonist, I don't know what to tell you. Ignoring that this is a thing won't make it go away.

This is the kind of shit that people involved with this game have to face, btw:

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Someone was racist and sexist towards the game? People disliked the gameplay and character design, never saw any negativity towards Kamala. Strange review tbh.

In fairness I have and continue to see thinly-veiled shit about Kamala being another "forced diversity" pick and all that nonsense, mostly from randos. Saw one particularly lol-worthy comment accuse the character of being a brown distaff version of Mr. Fantastic, because I guess we can only have one stretchy boi.

That said, it reads like a reverse Jim Sterling: a few good points here and there but absolutely dripping in hostility and arguably belittling of the game's flaws and overall industry trends. It's technically okay (it's certainly not as garbage as that 10/10) but it's not something I'd treat as meritful.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
There is a lot of trolls on social media that hate Kamala. They already existed before she became the protagonist of the game, and they are out in full force lately because of the release of the game. We don't see it happening here, but it's definitely something a lot of people outside "Era's bubble" do talk about.

If you can't recognize that there are actually a lot of people outside here trashing this game because it has a Muslim teenager as the protagonist, I don't know what to tell you. Ignoring that this is a thing won't make it go away.

This is the kind of shit that people involved with this game have to face, btw:

Don't act like that's been the primary criticism of this game. I've seen Kamala hatred and yes, I pretty much always attribute it to racism/sexism. But YT and Reddit's primary complaints have always been "This is another Anthem!"

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
In fairness I have and continue to see thinly-veiled shit about Kamala being another "forced diversity" pick and all that nonsense, mostly from randos. Saw one particularly lol-worthy comment accuse the character of being a brown distaff version of Mr. Fantastic, because I guess we can only have one stretchy boi.

ov0ldo8.jpg

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
nah but how is it anything new?

The trend itself of putting rpg-lite (loot, skill trees, enemy levels) elements in action games is relatively recent. It's definitely increasingly difficult to find AAA action games without it, and it often is easily the weakest aspect of the game. Like, reading reviews of Avengers, most seem to agree that the strongest aspect is the campaign, and that the "loot game" is actualyl fairly weak.

Feb 24, 2018
Marvel's Avengers looks like an absolutely-average scoring game and quite honestly I've got a huge variety of better choices to play.

It's still gonna be a best-seller.
No doubt, the marketing campaign, brand recognition and hype culture alone with guarantee it being a big hit, what will be interesting though is if it can maintain it, both sales and playerbase after the initial push like Destiny and Division 1 did or flounder and drop like DIvision 2 and Anthem did.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
No doubt, the marketing campaign, brand recognition and hype culture alone with guarantee it being a big hit, what will be interesting though is if it can maintain it, both sales and playerbase after the initial push like Destiny and Division 1 did or flounder and drop like DIvision 2 and Anthem did.

They certainly have a roadmap of content already lined up that should keep people coming back.

Present endgame issues are fixable. Anthem was NOT fixable and had to be completely reworked.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I have nothing against Kamala at all - I just had never heard of her before this game, and I grew up reading comics. Maybe I was before her time or something. I was also more of an X-Men fan.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Reviews don't need to check all the boxes that you want them to. I like more relaxed and loose reviews.

I mean the whole point of a review is to inform potential buyers what is in store for them. This review had very little of that in it, so I would consider it objectively bad regardless of whether the author loved it or hated it.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I have nothing against Kamala at all - I just had never heard of her before this game, and I grew up reading comics. Maybe I was before her time or something. I was also more of an X-Men fan.

Khan made her first appearance in Captain Marvel #14 (August 2013) before going on to star in the solo series Ms. Marvel, which debuted in February 2014.

Qouted this from Wikipedia, so it's entirely possible it was after your time.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Kamala is the only reason I had interest in any of this. A repetitive, unpolished Destiny-like is not what I was hoping for from an Avengers game. I get why that (and Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad) see that framework and think to adapt superhero teams to it. I get it. I also get how fucking hard it must be to try and balance how wildly differently all these characters are, unlike a Spider-Man game which gets to totally focus on one character's moveset. But everything about its drab aesthetic, its performances, and its structure just seem so unappealing.