• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
No, Bungie owns it. In the Infinity Ward court documents, a Marathon remake was planned.
Oh boy I am about to make you two cry. There WAS going to be a Marathon reboot (assumed to be Lehto's project) but it got canned pretty soon on
This is false. For some random reason I got really into Marathon stuff last week and was exploring the Marathon sub-reddit. One of the developers at Bungie who worked on Marathon 2: Durandal (XBLA) posted that the 10% in the contract was simply cleaning up the open-source, Aelph One version of Marathon. He's posted a lot in the Marathon sub-reddit about various things (no longer works at Bungie anymore).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Marathon/c...e_has_a_new_marathon_shirt/f8txp0l/?context=3

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
This is false. For some random reason I got really into Marathon stuff last week and was exploring the Marathon sub-reddit. One of the developers at Bungie who worked on Marathon 2: Durandal (XBLA) posted that the 10% in the contract was simply cleaning up the open-source, Aelph One version of Marathon. He's posted a lot in the Marathon sub-reddit about various things (no longer works at Bungie anymore).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Marathon/c...e_has_a_new_marathon_shirt/f8txp0l/?context=3
Never seen this before actually! Thank you for clearing that up. Most people just assumed it was Lehto's project and that's why he left.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Never seen this before actually! Thank you for clearing that up. Most people just assumed it was Lehto's project and that's why he left.
Yea it surprised me as well, I thought they were working on a remake too! I have no idea what prompted this weird minor obsession with Marathon the past week but I'm glad it started :D

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I quit after CoO came out, but D2 was always undermonetized given its potential.

It's never been "under" monetized. The whole point of season passes is to fund perodic updates without the need for expansions. Destiny has both, and a cash shop. It's literally monetized more than any game in its genre and worse than many actual MMOs.

The game is a product of the greedy 'screw your customers' model that has become so prevelant these days. So prevelant, in fact, that you can claim with a straight face that it's under monetized.

Oct 30, 2017
All of this sounds about right and I don't blame anybody whether that's Bungie, Microsoft, or Activision. Bungie deserved some degree of freedom after Halo and clearly wanted it. Activision was right in wanting to keep a close leash on a $500 million dollar project that Bungie fucked up the development for. Microsoft was probably too greedy in that they should have agreed to partial ownership but I imagine they wanted certain guarantees from Bungie that Bungie didnt want to give.

I don't blame MS for wanting to own the IP, especially considering the cost of the project.

Honestly, Bungie didn't have much options when it came to financing this thing. Can't go to private investors, they'd want shares in the company and would eventually agitate for a sale or some other liquidity event.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering what their options were, I think going with Activision was probably the best course. They held on to the IP and they didn't get bought out and they didn't get assimilated into some huge company's other broad stable of publishers. Activision spent a huge ton of money to let them launch the IP into the stratosphere, and they were able to walk away with full ownership of their game.

Just look at how quickly EA had Respawn under their thumb for comparison.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Its weird how ... irrelevant Bungie is now. Like is Destiny still pulling in huge numbers? I know they went sort of f2p.

Like let's say Bungie announces Destiny 3. How many people actually care? Destiny 2 was pretty mediocre at launch.
Makes one of the biggest franchises for this generation.. Irrelevant Bungie lmao

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Please don't give us that crap.

It's greed, let's call it for what it is. D2 is one of the most played games around.

They make money from expansion sales, Eververse microtransactions and the season passes. They could have settled for one or the other, but nope they must have all of it. Guess which other companies we criticise for such behaviour lol

Since their split from Activision they've actively incorporated pay2win elements into this game that you already have to bloody pay for expansions.
Safeguarding the survival of a company that is independent, and who continues work on new projects and Destiny itself, it being a massive project that has hundreds of people working on it. Its about minimizing risk while safeguarding your employees and your companies future. No company will say, well, we have enough money now, so lets sell less things to customers. Its something you simply cannot do since the game industry is always a risky business, and big companies fall the hardest, so the more capital you have to bridge harder times the better. Call it greed all you want, but you are underestimating how expensive it is to maintain a project like Destiny.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
From memory IP ownership was also the sticking point with Ryse 2 - Crytek would only make it if they retained the IP, and Microsoft would only fund it if they gave it over, so the game never happened.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
and this is why Destiny 1 and Destiny 2 were not the promised projects we were supposed to get. Destiny 1 had a much bigger story that got all turned to grimoire cards.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
It's never been "under" monetized. The whole point of season passes is to fund perodic updates without the need for expansions. Destiny has both, and a cash shop. It's literally monetized more than any game in its genre and worse than many actual MMOs.

The game is a product of the greedy 'screw your customers' model that has become so prevelant these days. So prevelant, in fact, that you can claim with a straight face that it's under monetized.

it's also public knowledge that eververse was bungie's idea, not Activisions.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We got out of touch people thinking both the franchise and Bungie are irrelevant and then some thinking the game is pay2win...

I haven't been 100% a fan of the content we've gotten this year. Season of the Dawn outside of the Saint-14 missions and the entirety of Season of the Worthy was awful and too much grinding. Season of Arrivals has me going back everyday though and their Beyond Light announcement stream with the roadmap from content to features for the next 2ish years has me excited.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure partnering up with Activision caused a fair share of issues behind the scenes but the things that always irked me about Destiny are probably still unrelated to that.
They still seem to have issues with their tools which at least in the past slowed down development of new content significantly.
I also got the feeling that Bungie had one intended way to play their game and experience the content and if you found a way to get around that they changed it and that sometimes felt like they actively tried to suck the fun out of it.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Its weird how ... irrelevant Bungie is now. Like is Destiny still pulling in huge numbers? I know they went sort of f2p.

Like let's say Bungie announces Destiny 3. How many people actually care? Destiny 2 was pretty mediocre at launch.
Uuuhh...what? Destiny is still really big. Bungie just announced the next 3 expansions for Destiny 2 like a month ago.

Still waiting for Bungie to make a new single player game. I hated every minute I played of Destiny.
Don't bother waiting. Bungie is all in on Destiny 2 until AT LEAST 2022. They've already outlined their plans for supporting Destiny 2 into the foreseeable future.

Time to try getting in bed with PlayStation ;D
Absolutely fucking not. The PC version of Destiny 2 is fucking fantastic, and the last thing the playerbase needs right now is console exclusivity.

Nov 14, 2017

It regularly pulls in 1million+ daily active users. Not bad for an irrelevant dead game I'd say.

Nov 14, 2017
Please don't give us that crap.

It's greed, let's call it for what it is. D2 is one of the most played games around.

They make money from expansion sales, Eververse microtransactions and the season passes. They could have settled for one or the other, but nope they must have all of it. Guess which other companies we criticise for such behaviour lol

Since their split from Activision they've actively incorporated pay2win elements into this game that you already have to bloody pay for expansions.
Please explain what elements of Destiny are p2w.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gaming side Destiny faux takes. 2020 may have glitched into some kind of dystopian waking nightmare, but a part of me is glad somethings never change.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the campaigns of Destiny are basically Halo campaigns minus large vehicle sections. They ain't making no single player only game, dream on. Their audience is very much a multiplayer audience.
The Destiny campaigns pale in comparison to what's in any Halo game. There's a lot more than vehicle sections missing. Encounter design, ai variety (including friendly ai), characters, etc.. Halo campaigns are focused on the sandbox. Destiny campaigns are nowhere close.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
No publisher is going to agree to that. The IP is the investment payoff on a risky investment. If a developer can self fund/publish they will, the reality is most cannot.

EA does this, all EA Originals titles are owned by their own studios.

Titanfall was owned by Respawn despite EA funding the studio for years

Crysis is still owned by Crytek despite EA funding three games.

Epic Games Publishing is exactly doing this as well with Remedy, genDESIGN and Playdead

Activision and Namco Bandai did it with From Software, letting them own Sekiro, Dark Souls and Elden Ring, while Sony demanded Demon's Souls and Bloodborne

There are plenty of examples, the only publisher that demands ownership of the IP in the vast majority of the cases is Sony (see The Order, Death Stranding, Detroit Become Human, Bloodborne etc...)

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
"Disintegration" is more like what happened internally to Bungie after their merge with Activision and since Destiny 1 happened.
Yep. Before Destiny 1 I could never in a million years imagine not looking forward to a new Bungie game. They were my favorite studio ever. I'll never forget good ol Bungie days and winning my steak.

Their decline is honestly one of the biggest tragedies in the game industry.

burn bright. burn blue. Forever in my heart. Big sad.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Lol at that fois gras joke. Full on movie supervillain, scripted by a team of writers.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still pains me they got merged with Blizzard.... what a shitty publisher.

Oct 30, 2017
I mean the campaigns of Destiny are basically Halo campaigns minus large vehicle sections. They ain't making no single player only game, dream on. Their audience is very much a multiplayer audience.
Only in very broad terms are their campaigns similar.

We all can admit we grinded out the Destiny campaign on all 3 characters because the gear was crap, the story (initially) was weak, and the mission structure was rote. No one enjoyed playing through them lol.

nath999

May 7, 2018
We'll see how Bungie handles indie publishing. To this point all of their games had massive reveal at big events. I understand wanting to hold on to the IP you create but I can't see any reason why a publisher would go that route now.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I don't really get this forums obsession with Azure being some kind of amazing server tech.

What is P2W? Please tell me what you think is, because I've not seen any such thing. Level boosters and getting a gun early as a preorder bonus don't count, if that's where you're going with it.
p2w... thats how i know you're talkin outta ur ass
"Pay to win", huh? Got some examples? Burden of proof is on the accuser, after all.

How our standards have fallen huh

The paid season pass provides significantly game altering items.

It has several ascendant shards, each of which could very well tip a couple of your stats up a tier. At the high end of PvP that makes a difference and gives an advantage. I happen to have enough shards from Trials, but that doesn't make it any less shitty.

Also several exotic engrams provided again by the paid season pass only. This gives you more chances to get a better rolled exotic. Again that's bullshit, and a gameplay altering advantage. Small? Maybe, maybe not. It's the principle.

I remember when this stuff was creeping in people would be like "well it's only cosmetic that's ok". But now Bungie has crossed well over the line and guess what, people like you are still excusing them.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
If there's one thing that never fails in ERA, its the same song and dance with Destiny threads every single time.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
How our standards have fallen huh

The paid season pass provides significantly game altering items.

It has several ascendant shards, each of which could very well tip a couple of your stats up a tier. At the high end of PvP that makes a difference and gives an advantage. I happen to have enough shards from Trials, but that doesn't make it any less shitty.

Also several exotic engrams provided again by the paid season pass only. This gives you more chances to get a better rolled exotic. Again that's bullshit, and a gameplay altering advantage. Small? Maybe, maybe not. It's the principle.

I remember when this stuff was creeping in people would be like "well it's only cosmetic that's ok". But now Bungie has crossed well over the line and guess what, people like you are still excusing them.
"People like me" have never had issues with acceleration. It's not like you can pay money for a gun that is far and away the best in the game and a metaphorical win button. Extra engrams is nothing. Extra resources is nothing.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While Activision no doubt behaved like one would expect Activision to, this story shifts blame completely away from Bungie. Activision even had Blizzard helping out Bungie in how they were able to revamp Diablo III successfully and gave them tips and what not. Read the chapter on Bungie/Destiny in Blood, Sweat, and Pixels by jschreier

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
"People like me" have never had issues with acceleration. It's not like you can pay money for a gun that is far and away the best in the game and a metaphorical win button. Extra engrams is nothing. Extra resources is nothing.

Saying "it's nothing" doesn't make it true.

It is something, no matter how much you pretend it isn't.

So to you they have to do something so extreme it completely screws the game before you dare to call it out? No nuance no nothing. Lol

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought it was weird, that they left MS because they wanted to be independent, and then choose Activision as their partner for 10 years or so IIRC.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

So to you they have to do something so extreme it completely screws the game before you dare to call it out? No nuance no nothing. Lol
Or in your case anything that's not cosmetic is paying to win.

I have never budged on my stance for this in Destiny or any other game with this sort of thing. But we can probably stop this anyway since you're dead set on making villains out of the people who disagree.

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017

It is nothing... if you think +2 to stats is game altering in pvp, then sorry you're just bad at it. You can get +2 to stats and ascendant shards faster by playing the game normally by the time you even get to the end of this so called p2w season pass.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Was Destiny a success? I really did not understand if the game sold well or a lot less than they expected.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Or in your case anything that's not cosmetic is paying to win.

I have never budged on my stance for this in Destiny or any other game with this sort of thing. But we can probably stop this anyway since you're dead set on making villains out of the people who disagree.

Ok then. Would you rather I called it pay4advantage so we could water down any criticism against Bungie?

It is nothing... if you think +2 to stats is game altering in pvp, then sorry you're just bad at it. You can get +2 to stats and ascendant shards faster by playing the game normally by the time you even get to the end of this so called p2w season pass.

Buddy, if anything the people at the lower end of PvP are less likely to care about such supposedly minor minmaxing.

When you're optimising for the perfect build yes +2 to every stat on each armour piece is an advantage. A decently large one at that.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
  • The first red flag that Bungie notices was that at a dinner before the contract was signed, Activision higher ups mocked Marty's statement that you should "respect the goose"
  • If you treat the goose with respect, it'll make golden eggs.
  • one of their financial advisers made a joke about how there's nothing better than Foie Gras
  • Foie gras is a french specialty, it's liver from ducks or geese. The way they make it is pretty horrible though, they basically overfeed the animals by stuffing food down their throat with a stick so their liver gets really fatty
Both of them sound awful honestly. How high on the smell of your own farts do you have to be to think it's okay to publicly refer to yourself as a golden goose?

This was probably a statement that made everyone else at the table uncomfortable and the financial advisor may have tried to diffuse the tension with a joke that fell flat.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Both of them sound awful honestly. How high on the smell of your own farts do you have to be to think it's okay to publicly refer to yourself as a golden goose?

This was probably a statement that made everyone else at the table uncomfortable and the financial advisor may have tried to diffuse the tension with a joke that fell flat.

The Activision suits were the ones that brought it up at the dinner.