• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I started playing the MCC again. I've been a Halo fan since day one, and while I always loved Martys music, I didn't realize just how much I truly appreciated it until I just sat there with the menu screen listening to the various themes, taking it in. It is truly masterful, across all the games he did. Halo 4 and 5 had some good music but none of it really transports me the way Martys music does. The sci-fi vibe he melds into the music at certain points is perfect and sets the mood beautifully. I hope the rumor is true and that he is back. Halo still deserves the best talent it can get to make the games, and he was that from the beginning.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You know you did something truly special when your shooty bang bang game has people doing this:

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Isn't Marty a libertarian weirdo

Nah, should've gave Kaz the money and let him continue his great work on Halo 4/5

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I started playing the MCC again. I've been a Halo fan since day one, and while I always loved Martys music, I didn't realize just how much I truly appreciated it until I just sat there with the menu screen listening to the various themes, taking it in. It is truly masterful, across all the games he did. Halo 4 and 5 had some good music but none of it really transports me the way Martys music does. The sci-fi vibe he melds into the music at certain points is perfect and sets the mood beautifully. I hope the rumor is true and that he is back. Halo still deserves the best talent it can get to make the games, and he was that from the beginning.
wouldn't even make a dent for MS

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Marty a lot too. But the 4 and 5 soundtracks were great in their own right. Kaz is fantastic and I'm actually disappointed he's gone from 343. The only way I'll feel okay with it is if they actually do bring Marty back

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have agreed before he outed himself as an MRA dipshit. Get someone else to do it.

OP
OP
super-heated plasma
Oct 27, 2017
well the Gillette thing is not a good look, but I still would prefer his music. A dumb tweet won't make me stop appreciating it.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
People have done a hell of a lot worse than make dumb tweets and continue to get work, I'd be totally down for Marty's return. One of the few western composers that'd easily make a top 10 list for me.

Nah, let's not for obvious reasons. Kaz is a really talented composer, I would argue that 117 is a top 5/3 Halo song tbh. I'm sad to see him leave 343, hopefully he will continue to work with them.

He already left:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, let's not for obvious reasons. Kaz is a really talented composer, I would argue that 117 is a top 5/3 Halo song tbh. I'm sad to see him leave 343, hopefully he will continue to work with them. His music for the Infinite trailer was perfect, he can clearly pull at Halo fans nostalgia.

I'm surprised some people didn't know Marty is a dick, iirc he was the most conservative person at Bungie.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
He's too busy posting on Twitter that he flushed his Gillette razor down the toilet because they had the gall to make an ad that says you maybe shouldn't beat your wife and kids.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I think Halo should go a different direction. There's no doubt Marty was part of what defined early Halos, but I'd personally like a change. I feel like Halo 4 was actually on to something. Orchestral space opera music doesn't fit the mood of actual gameplay, I want Division 2-like atmospheric building synth beats that entrance the player into the flow of action. String-based soundtracks just don't do it for me anymore. There's a disconnect with it thats hard to explain. I felt it hard while playing Destiny 2...constant orchestral climaxes sound so weird behind fps gameplay.

Exhibit A:

Last edited:

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
To be fair, if every person ResetERA had some problem with was cancelled, Keanu Reeves would be the only person left.

A month ago I would have said "and Terry Crews." So yeah, spot on.

I like Marty and Kaz's work, but I think letting the music evolve is a good idea. Infinite seems like a soft reboot/new direction for the franchise, lets get some new blood in on the OST (with at least one Gregorian chant song please).

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Derogatory language in reference to serious issues.
damn all the SJWs are gonna have a field day with this thread.

Last edited:

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
A month ago I would have said "and Terry Crews." So yeah, spot on.

I like Marty and Kaz's work, but I think letting the music evolve is a good idea. Infinite seems like a soft reboot/new direction for the franchise, lets get some new blood in on the OST (with at least one Gregorian chant song please).

Wait, what did Terry do?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Halo 4/5 OST sucked. People try and pretend like it was decent but it wasn't. It's mediocre at best. They need to do something

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
I genuinely don't care what a composers political views are if his music is good, especially if I've known Marty to lean conservative since... the Halo 3 documentary I believe? He's created arguably the most iconic suite of music in video game history. Bring the man back in to the fold.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
I think Halo should go a different direction. There's no doubt Marty was part of what defined early Halos, but I'd personally like a change. I feel like Halo 4 was actually on to something. Orchestral space opera music doesn't fit the mood of actual gameplay, I want Division 2-like atmospheric building synth beats that entrance the player into the flow of action. String-based soundtracks just don't do it for me anymore. There's a disconnect with it thats hard to explain. I felt it hard while playing Destiny 2...constant orchestral climaxes sound so weird behind fps gameplay.

Exhibit A:
Agreed, I'd love for Halo to try to blend in some more electronic goodness.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Believe it or not, probably the biggest reason that made me quit the franchise was the lack of Marty's music. That allied with the bad Halo that 4 was, the franchise was dead for me (with all due respect to everyone at 343)

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Finishing Move did a superb job with the Halo 2 Anniversary soundtrack and also the Halo Wars 2 soundtrack. I definitely see other MS projects happening with them as the composers, but yeah i'd love to see them helping out on Infinite's soundtrack.