• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
From a mind like Scorsese, you want to allow him to recommend you movies you havent watched and try to learn something.

If you want him to list movies you know or that literally everyone else picks ... then I dont know why you would want that, theres nothing to be gained there other than "I have something in common with Scorsese".

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
These lists by directors are always boring and pretentious. I prefer Speed Racer than most of the movies in that list (with the only exception being 2001).

Speed Racer has way better cinematography and direction than most of those boring/pretentious films.
3USgt2g.gif

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
From a mind like Scorsese, you want to allow him to recommend you movies you havent watched and try to learn something.

If you want him to list movies you know or that literally everyone else picks ... then I dont know why you would want that, theres nothing to be gained there other than "I have something in common with Scorsese".

Yeah, but Speed Racer.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
There's a sophistication to how it explores racism as well as some character subtleties that elevate it within the canon of Western film.

I do somewhat agree with you, though. The Searchers is interesting and I should give it another watch, but I happen to vastly prefer spaghetti westerns over Hollywood ones. Once Upon a Time in the West is the greatest western, in my opinion.

Easily. I can't take any western seriously unless everyone's skin is at least half as leathery as the characters in Once Upon a Time in the West.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"This is a list of my favorite movies."

"This is a list of the only movies that will ever matter and if you don't like them then you are trash and so are the movies you reference."

Scorsese said the first one (basically), Era reads the second one.

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe y'all should watch these movies before posting about how "pretentious" his list is. Who knows, maybe you'll learn something. Maybe you'll even like the movies!

He chose the wrong Renoir though. Rules of the Game >

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WTF? Where's The Dark Knight, the best movie ever made? Or Black Panther?

/s

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe y'all should watch these movies before posting about how "pretentious" his list is. Who knows, maybe you'll learn something. Maybe you'll even like the movies!

He chose the wrong Renoir though. Rules of the Game >

He most certainly did because The Grand Illusion is definitely Renoir's best. Rules of the Game was a chore the first time I saw it. Maybe upon a revisit that would change. But Grand Illusion was fantastic start tp finish.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
to the people who think 2001 is boring, just pretend that the apes and rogue AI are lex luthur's experiments and the end of the movie is Kal-El arriving at earth

starchild.jpg

you can enjoy it now knowing that its about super heroes

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These lists by directors are always boring and pretentious. I prefer Speed Racer than most of the movies in that list (with the only exception being 2001).

Speed Racer has way better cinematography and direction than most of those boring/pretentious films.
Good lord, don't tell that to other people. That's something to keep to yourself.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'd report FernandoRocker for the massive derail but he didn't break any rules with his stupifyingly egregious taste.

i did bookmark that post though to remember that his aesthetic discretion unit is trashed beyond repair

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I love 8 1/2 so so much, what a ride that is. Also lol @ people falling for the " I'm not trolling , for reals, im not" bait

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He most certainly did because The Grand Illusion is definitely Renoir's best. Rules of the Game was a chore the first time I saw it. Maybe upon a revisit that would change. But Grand Illusion was fantastic start tp finish.
they're both really amazing start to finish. I'm kinda glad he picked one that wouldn't be on a lot of other lists though.

one of the strangest things about this thread is that people are attacking the list because it has a lot of movies they haven't seen. isn't the point of a list like this to give you movies he loves so you can watch for yourself and make your own mind up?

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine calling a list that has 2001: A Space Odyssey, Vertigo and Citizen Kane, "boring" "shallow" or "pretentious" Haha never change ERA. Truly the peak for movie taste.
Stuff like this is a great way to find the dumbest posters on Era and add them to your ignore list though.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love 8 1/2 so so much, what a ride that is. Also lol @ people falling for the " I'm not trolling , for reals, im not" bait

im actually gonna be watching it for the first time soon, non-english films are a blind spot for me that im trying to rectify it

even recent films i gotta watch are Burning, Shadow, and Parasite

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
im actually gonna be watching it for the first time soon, non-english films are a blind spot for me that im trying to rectify it

it's so good! if you're trying to get into Fellini i think Amarcord is a really great place to start too. then 8 1/2, then La dolce vita. but almost all of his films are really great.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017

If you're jumping into Fellini, most definitely put La Strada on the list of his films to watch, along with the other mentioned above. La Strada is a wonderful & heart-breaking tale wrapped up in one.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that good art takes a bit of effort to consume, and people who act like that are not used to it so the easiest way to self-justify their unwillingness to understand is to act like they are above it. I wish pop culture wasn't infested with kids stuff, everyone would be just a tiny bit smarter.
and you can't play with your phone while you watch legit great movies.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I go back and forth between Once Upon a Time in the West and The Good, Bad, and Ugly as my favorite western. Both are top of the westerns of all time for me though.

Both are masterpieces for sure. I can't really fault anyone for choosing one over the other.

8 1/2 is incredible. Have you seen La Dolce Vita yet? For as amazing as 8 1/2 is, I was astounded to find how much I adored La Dolce Vita even more.

Ebert has a stellar retrospective review that puts its greatness into words in a way I never could.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-la-dolce-vita-1960

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
I have to wonder whether these movies being listed by these directors (not just this list but others I've seen) are just good movies that they liked and they think are worthy to be on their list, rather than actually their favorite movies.

Like none of them love a well directed huge blockbuster like Jaws for example?

Jaws is in his expanded list of favourites JB1981 posted earlier - https://mubi.com/lists/martin-scorseses-favorite-films

That list also has a super hero movie (Sam Raimi's Spider-Man) and movies mentioned in this thread (Blade Runner) but alas, no Speed Racer! It's an interesting list to browse through.

As for the top 12, love the films I have seen, will venture to see The Red Shoes soon!

Oct 27, 2017
To all the people pissed that Scorsese doesn't have anything beyond the 1960's on this list, I just want you to know that I've interviewed the man before and his 13th favorite film is "The Garbage Pail Kids Movie" dir. Rod Amateau, 1987.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Vertigo finally last year at an outdoor cinema. Directing was very interesting but it was just so hard to get past seeing how things were in that era. The sexism was so blatantly bad it was super distracting to the overall movie.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Speed Racer is fucking trash. A poor man's Redline that has like 15 good minutes and is bloated with 2 hours of terribleness.