• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Im howling that the words " Scorsese Stans" and " Scorsese fanboys" are actual things people typed out and posted. What world is this I'm living in
Some of these people did the same thing in the Endgame vs Avatar box office threads. In their heads they built up a narrative that there was a massive legion of Avatar stans in this forum. Avatar fucking stans. If you're not with them, then you're clearly part of an opposing, equally insane fanboy contingent.

edit: didn't see the mod post buried in the thread until after I made this one. No point in taking it down now I guess.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I thought they were atrocious.

Not gonna deny that, I was never that invested into the original trilogy (which is awesome) and the prequel were my first exposure to the series, so I was never with high expectations watching, maybe that's why I don't really hate them, just find them boring. The funny thing is, the memes elevated their status into the "so bad is good" although not good enough to watch them again, just to look at it and laugh at how terrible it was

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
These people did the same thing in the Endgame vs Avatar box office threads. In their heads they built up a narrative that there was a massive legion of Avatar stans in this forum. Avatar fucking stans. If you're not with them, then you're clearly part of an equally insane fanboy contingent.

No more or less insane than throwing everyone who enjoys MCU films into the same damn basket. And it's not like you're not in every single MCU thread voicing your distaste of those films. ;)

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Not gonna deny that, I was never that invested into the original trilogy (which is awesome) and the prequel were my first exposure to the series, so I was never with high expectations watching, maybe that's why I don't really hate them, just find them boring. The funny thing is, the memes elevated their status into the "so bad is good" although not good enough to watch them again, just to look at it and laugh at how terrible it was

That's fair. I liked the Clone Wars cartoons, but to override the prequels awfulness rather than elevate it.

Nov 2, 2018
If nothing else the MCU should be lauded for its format alone.

20+ films all set within the same universe, an ongoing plot, with characters who age and change and grow.

Never been anything like it on this scale. Any attempt to replicate it fails. For cinema this format is new and exciting when done right. Cinema as a long form medium.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Last I checked, pretty much every single one of them. <shrug>

I'm not sure I follow at all what you're saying here.

You're trying to say that those films need to objectively be better so you can subjectively enjoy them more, whilst ignoring that your opinion is neither objective, nor is that standard one the makers of those films will actually have. They're not purposefully underachieving or turning in "lesser products".

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Imagine the people behind John Wick directing a Black Widow action scene and how much cooler that'd be than anything we've seen before in this series.
iirc they've directed The Winter Soldier's and Civil War's action scenes (they were second unit directors on those).

Edit: only Civil War, TWS had different crew.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why Marvel fans took this as some great insult to the most popular media franchise on planet Earth and why film snobs took this as some validation of Marvel as commercial dreck.

His concerns should probably be directed to the fact that the theater experience is too expensive for most people to justify seeing anything but the biggest and baddest movies on the screen. This isn't the 1980s anymore.

I think that second point is very valid. Just two people hitting up the movies can be 49 bucks depending on where you live.

Sep 12, 2018
You're trying to say that those films need to objectively be better so you can subjectively enjoy them more, whilst ignoring that your opinion is neither objective, nor is that standard one the makers of those films will actually have. They're not purposefully underachieving or turning in "lesser products".
Nice straw-man. Nowhere did I say that my idea of how Marvel movies can be better is objective. Do I need to begin every single sentence with "well in my opinion..."

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nice straw-man. Nowhere did I say that my idea of how Marvel movies can be better is objective. Do I need to begin every single sentence with "well in my opinion..."

It's all in the phrasing, though. When you judge their quality, and "how good they can be" in the way you did, it's hard to feel like you're just giving your opinion on what they're worth to you. When making films an artist can't cater to what everyone wants or need. That's like me saying Scorcese has a lot more potential, just because The Departed is a botched adaptation of Internal Affairs.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Keep diggin' Marty. It's funny that you either have to say "He's right" or "Everyone has a right an opinion." Well no he's just wrong and jealous and by pointing out Spielberg and Lucas as "different" he's also a hypocrite.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's all in the phrasing, though. When you judge their quality, and "how good they can be" in the way you did, it's hard to feel like you're just giving your opinion on what they're worth to you. When making films an artist can't cater to what everyone wants or need. That's like me saying Scorcese has a lot more potential, just because The Departed is a botched adaptation of Internal Affairs.
Departed is better than infernal affairs tho

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I should just say that while I understand where Marty is coming from, I disagree that the MCU isn't "cinema." No one said they were good cinema or great cinema, but they are cinema. That they crowd out the market or are comfortably safe in their mediocrity, unwilling to push the envelope, that they lack a real craft and vision behind the lens not dictated by the studio, all of that is a separate conversation as to whether they qualify as cinema.

They are cinema. They're just boring, safe cinema.

No one is demanding highest form of art from MCU , theres a middle ground . A middle ground something like Nolan batman movies, like Logan , like Joker. The craft behind those films , the performances and the overall approach to story telling has far more substance . Even outside comic book movies , MCU has a lot of action but a lot of it ranges from solid to barely competent. Movies like Fury road , recent mission impossible films , even lower budget stuff like Raid films or Dredd. Theres craft and pride in making high quality action films . All of em arent high art cinema, they are action blockbusters, but those same films show the level of quality in their execution.
What about Kids films ? How to train your dragon trilogy is one of the best modern kids movies in recent times . Tangled , Frozen, Toy story movies? They are all high quality movies that are aimed at children, but theres no denying about em as a piece or entertainment .
Why MCU , of all things, with all the hundreds of billions of dollars from disney cant strive to be something more? Why Black Panther , probably one of the most important superhero movies in this decade or ever for a significant portion of people has to have god awful cgi fight in third act? Why End game , the ultimate end of a saga that has 20 something movies spanning decades had to have obnoxious fan service and a drop in quality when it comes to fight choreography and set pieces compared to Infinity war?
Marvel and Disney are okay at dictating the modern movie making and having nearly every movie that comes out making a billion , so its only fair to criticize if for not doing something more , because they have resources , because they have talent behind these projects .

Co-signed.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one is demanding highest form of art from MCU , theres a middle ground . A middle ground something like Nolan batman movies, like Logan , like Joker. The craft behind those films , the performances and the overall approach to story telling has far more substance . Even outside comic book movies , MCU has a lot of action but a lot of it ranges from solid to barely competent. Movies like Fury road , recent mission impossible films , even lower budget stuff like Raid films or Dredd. Theres craft and pride in making high quality action films . All of em arent high art cinema, they are action blockbusters, but those same films show the level of quality in their execution.
What about Kids films ? How to train your dragon trilogy is one of the best modern kids movies in recent times . Tangled , Frozen, Toy story movies? They are all high quality movies that are aimed at children, but theres no denying about em as a piece or entertainment .
Why MCU , of all things, with all the hundreds of billions of dollars from disney cant strive to be something more? Why Black Panther , probably one of the most important superhero movies in this decade or ever for a significant portion of people has to have god awful cgi fight in third act? Why End game , the ultimate end of a saga that has 20 something movies spanning decades had to have obnoxious fan service and a drop in quality when it comes to fight choreography and set pieces compared to Infinity war?
Marvel and Disney are okay at dictating the modern movie making and having nearly every movie that comes out making a billion , so its only fair to criticize if for not doing something more , because they have resources , because they have talent behind these projects .

Nolan films weren't that great either in my opinion but that's primarily to do with my issue with Nolan's choice to use the same structure for every film (not watched Dunkirk and have no intention of doing so), but the films also stripped out the character from the original works with a lifeless city and rejected the campy and noir aspects.

But they were better in many other aspects which you alluded to that aren't in the MCU films.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
I will happily eat at a fine michelin starred restaurant but would also be just as happy going to eat ay my favourite burger, pizza, or ramen joint on the same day. MCU films are like good burgers. But I agree with Marty in that these burgers can stifle the rise of smaller quality dishes from up and coming productions

However, Joker is like a burger made by an expensive restaurant. I mean it has all the trimmings of a dish from a fine diner and delicous, but in the end it is still a steamed ham with lipstick

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
iirc they've directed The Winter Soldier's and Civil War's action scenes (they were second unit directors on those).
Only for Civil War, to be precise. And although there are no details to their involvement, I'd wager that they specifically worked on the airport fight and the bucky/tony/steve fight, since they're shot and edited so differently from everything else in the film.
If you mean IA2 and IA3, then yeah, I agree. Other than that they turned tight as hell cop thriller into buffoonery.
I'll personally take some of the buffoonery in TD over the overwrought melodrama in IA.

Sep 12, 2018
EG0_N3XX4AAehJa

This review lmao

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I'll personally take some of the buffoonery in TD over the overwrought melodrama in IA.
Uh, Farmiga/Damon/DiCaprio triangle was more melodramatic than anything in the original. Plus, there's always Wahlberg as an icing on the cake. (yeah, I know he was nominated for an Oscar for the role).

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

You know, looking at the Heimat series...

It's not really the same?

The closest thing it gets to being a "cinematic universe" in the vein of the MCU is the final 2 films but even then that is stretching it. Because movies with one spin off and a prequel does not make a cinematic universe.

It's just a movie series showing a family over the course of years. There was no spin offs that would eventually crossover. There was no big crossover movie.

This would be like saying JoJo's Bizzare Adventure is a "cinematic universe"

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather watch the marvel movies than anything he makes.

But people are entitled to their opinions.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The closest thing it gets to being a "cinematic universe" in the vein of the MCU is the final 2 films but even then that is stretching it. Because movies with one spin off and a prequel does not make a cinematic universe.

It's just a movie series showing a family over the course of years. There was no spin offs that would eventually crossover. There was no big crossover movie.

JoJo is actually JCU technically

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018

Lol, you've never seen it, have you?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, you've never seen it, have you?

Just from what I was reading on the wiki.

Each movie was split up into episodes detailing the history of the family from 1919 to 2000.

There was 1 spin off focusing on the women in the family set around the 1960s.

And then a prequel set during the 1840s.

Sorry but that isn't a Cinematic Universe. The amount of movies there is still impressive but it's not a Cinematic Universe. Cinematic Universe doesn't mean: "This series has a ton of movies".

At least if you referenced say the Godzilla movies and it's various era's you'd have something since those movies did actually crossover and spin off into their own things. Though that was often muddied whenever a new "era" began and they would usually start over again but not completely over as some movies would be kept.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you a joke character? Spielberg has held the highest grossing movie record multiple times. Jaws, E.T. and Jurassic Park were all the biggest movie ever at some point. E.T. held the record for ten years until Spielberg beat himself with Jurassic Park. More or less the same the same thing James Cameron did with Titanic and Avatar.

4 out of the 10 highest grossing movies of all time are Marvel movies.

2 out of 5 highest grossing movies of all time are Marvel movies from the same directors.

22.585 billion of 23 movies. That's 983 million average.

Last Spielberg movie was Ready Player One. Last Scorsese movie is financed by Netflix so this "real cinema" talk is funny to me.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Just from what I was reading on the wiki.

Each movie was split up into episodes detailing the history of the family from 1919 to 2000.

There was 1 spin off focusing on the women in the family set around the 1960s.

And then a prequel set during the 1840s.

Sorry but that isn't a Cinematic Universe. The amount of movies there is still impressive but it's not a Cinematic Universe. Cinematic Universe doesn't mean: "This series has a ton of movies".

At least if you referenced say the Godzilla movies and it's various era's you'd have something since those movies did actually crossover and spin off into their own things. Though that was often muddied whenever a new "era" began and they would usually start over again but not completely over as some movies would be kept.
So it's ok for you to critique (wrongly, of course) movies you haven't seen, but it's not ok for Scorsese to do so? Et tu?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So it's ok for you to critique (wrongly, of course) movies you haven't seen, but it's not ok for Scorsese to do so? Et tu?

Okay so you clearly are not arguing in good faith and are just trolling.

Also where am I critiquing those movies? Not being a cinematic universe isn't a critique.

Saying that Harry Potter is a 8 movie fantasy series based on a book isn't "critique".

Do you actually know what critiquing is?

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The marvel films have become a genre unto themselves. It's also IronMan and everyone else and that's big problem. I don't think the films have improved very much since their phase 1 era of bland retreads of the same formula. There are highlights here and there - a lot of them can be enjoyable to watch - but I wonder how much of their appeal is also tied to the times. You're guaranteed a story where good always wins and Iron Man shows up once in a while to quip. Good looking smart people who get cool powers and become more attractive and even stronger?

I get the appeal, I really do - but there's no meat to chew on with these films. You see one, you've really seen them all. I don't really leave the theatre with anything. They are amusement park rides. Nothing wrong with that.

But Marvel has "won." There is no need to get excited about Scorsese's opinions. He's earned the right to have them. If you're TRULY chafed by them, take a step back and wonder if it really matters to care.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

2 out of 5 highest grossing movies of all time are Marvel movies from the same directors.

Last Spielberg movie was Ready Player One. Last Scorsese movie is financed by Netflix so this "real cinema" talk is funny to me.
"Nah Marvel fans have the highest grossing movie of all time. Something neither Mr expert or Spielberg could achieve. "

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Are you playing a character or something? You're not being serious with this, right?