• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder what pretentious crap should i be watching so that i can avoid being compared to MAGA dudes, just for liking some marvel movies.

Film snobs are the fucking worst.

It's funny, too, I'm a film snob, but I enjoy MCU for what it is, and let people enjoy the MCU on their terms.

This shit is like me dropping over on the gaming side and constantly pushing how "formulaic and lazy" Nintendo games are. You'd probably see me banned within hours. (And Nintendo is pretty much the perfect comparison to what the MCU is for films.)

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I just don't understand Marty's point here.

He's all "WHERE WILL ALL THE YOUNG VISIONARIES GO!?!" like A24 and Fox Seachlight don't exist.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's funny, too, I'm a film snob, but I enjoy MCU for what it is, and let people enjoy the MCU on their terms.

This shit is like me dropping over on the gaming side and constantly pushing how "formulaic and lazy" Nintendo games are. You'd probably see me banned within hours. (And Nintendo is pretty much the perfect comparison to what the MCU is for films.)

I don't think you would be banned for saying Nintendo games are formulaic... but you would probably be banned for comparing Nintendo fans to white supremacists.

It's honestly pretty disturbing how many on the last page saw nothing wrong with that comparison. I'm not even that big of an MCU fan these days but it's really not a hill to die on.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
"When your kid wants to go, you take your kids." Lol man, when you're making billions and billions, it's really not the kids, it's almost everyone everywhere watching these. Condescending attempt missed the mark there. Of course he's right about blockbusters becoming theme park rides. Too often it's just a lot of noise that starts to blend together.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you would be banned for saying Nintendo games are formulaic... but you would probably be banned for comparing Nintendo fans to white supremacists.

It's honestly pretty disturbing how many on the last page saw nothing wrong with that comparison. I'm not even that big of an MCU fan these days but it's really not a hill to die on.

I'm kinda not surprised by the people who liked that meme on the last page. Same ones who complain about the MCU on every thread while trying to keep the facade of "elevated cinema discussion".

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
OP you know damn well this is just gonna be the same bad thread that got closed last time. But let's just go over all the facts.

-Marvel movies are cinema. They are giant blockbuster movies that happen to have the serial storytelling of television, and can ba quite formulaic in their structure and aesthetic choices, but cinema all the same.

-Martin Scorsese is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time who's forgotten more about movies than you'll ever know. Why did people think a 76 year old man needs to give a fuck about Captain America lifting Thor's hammer, I'll never know. But he doesn't need to like them and that's ok.

-Martin Scorsese is not "gate keeping". Gate keeping requires power, control, like a comic store manager keeping a woman out until she can name all the Fantastic Four members. Disney owns 1/3rd of all ticket sales this year. Disney is taking over not just movies, but television as well, until its all one big slurry of "content". Disney has influenced, directly or indirectly, just about everything that gets made in Hollywood today. They are not being gate kept. THEY ARE THE GATE. MCU fans, you are the monoculture. You won! Your style of movies is safe and gets safer every year. It's the auteur pictures from artists like Scorsese that are being gate kept. They are the outside and have to go through Netflix to even get made.

\thread
Just insecure MCU fans at it again. Go Marty

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
He's all "WHERE WILL ALL THE YOUNG VISIONARIES GO!?!" like A24 and Fox Seachlight don't exist.

These's been a huge concern of how Disney will impact Fox Searchlight though. Disney is has already started taking an axe to Fox's output and there's no guarantee that Disney will leave Fox Searchlight alone in the long run.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what pretentious crap should i be watching so that i can avoid being compared to MAGA dudes, just for liking some marvel movies.

Film snobs are the fucking worst.

the point of the joke is not that you're a racist for liking mcu, the point is that there are 300 marvel movies a year, that all make more money than god, that are all apparently decently competent, but that's not enough - the cultural elite need to accept them as art for some reason, and any criticism by that cultural elite is met with a billion fan pile on. That's why they are compared with the MAGA crowd, who are apparently the most persecuted people on earth - despite dominating all arms of government - because culture is still predominately liberal.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
the point of the joke is not that you're a racist for liking mcu, the point is that there are 300 marvel movies a year, that all make more money than god, that are all apparently decently competent, but that's not enough - the cultural elite need to accept them as art for some reason, and any criticism by that cultural elite is met with a billion fan pile on. That's why they are compared with the MAGA crowd, who are apparently the most persecuted people on earth - despite dominating all arms of government - because culture is still predominately liberal.

Just admit it wasn't a tasteful comparison and the point could have been made so many other ways.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Now that's some grade a reaching. No one in this thread has said MCU films are high art, or even want them to be considered as such. That's ridiculous. Not to mention that there's little to no link to the MAGA crap.

I could be saying the people who discount MCU films as cinema are like the Gamergaters saying people who play cellphone games aren't gamers. Still find the meme funny, or accurate?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't make the comparison any better.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Just admit it wasn't a tasteful comparison and the point could have been made so many other ways.

Never said it was tasteful, but it's definitely funny!

Now that's some grade a reaching. No one in this thread has said MCU films are high art, or even want them to be considered as such. That's ridiculous. Not to mention that there's little to no link to the MAGA crap.

i dunno man

Last edited:

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
He's talking about innovation. Marty came up in an era where filmmakers were constantly trying to push the boundaries of cinema. Spielberg, Lucas, and Cameron (a little later) did this with great films that basically created the template that Hollywood has been imitating ever since because of the profit. Now we have a bajillion films that strive to replicate that success, but what do these films bring to the evolution of cinema that wasn't done before? Hence the "there is only one Spielberg, Lucas, and Cameron". That ground has already been broken.

The films that do make their stamp don't come from the Disney's, Universal, and Paramount's of the world anymore. They come from smaller studios while the big guys save their funding for big blockbusters. Marty doesn't view cinema as a dollar figure, it's a culture to him, and he's saddened by the emphasis on crowd pleasing films over interesting works that progress the form.

Eh.. the reality is that Big Studios have always ebbed and swayed with formulas for what's popular. Remember early Hollywood would regularly sign actors to exclusively work on their films, similarly to what we see today with Producers and broadcast networks. Big studios also regularly shuffled untested filmakers or niche/risky projects to an off label subsidiary complete with smaller budgets all around to avoid tainting their brand *if* the films didn't do well.

At the end of the day the MCU didn't cause any shift. The shift is a cycle that occurs in the film industry, just as it does in a lot of media. It feels much more like he's just lamenting a shift away from what he enjoys most. And it's hard to say that he isn't a bit bitter at the major studios not just giving him a blank check.

In May 2016, Mexican production company Fábrica de Cine had offered $100 million to finance the film, and through that deal Paramount Pictures would retain domestic rights. IM Global was also circling to bid for the film's international sales rights. STX Entertainment bought the international distribution rights to the film for $50 million beating out other studios like Universal Pictures, 20th Century Fox, and Lionsgate, while Fábrica de Cine closed the deal and Paramount retained its domestic rights.

By February 2017, Paramount Pictures had dropped domestic distribution rights for The Irishman following the announcement that Fábrica de Cine would not be financing the film due to its climbing budget. Netflix then bought the film for $105 million and agreed to finance the film's $125 million budget with a release date set for October 2019. In March 2018, it was also reported the film's budget had ballooned from $125 million to $140 million, due in large part to the visual effects needed to make De Niro, Pacino, and Pesci appear younger at various points throughout the film. By August of that year, the cost had reportedly risen to as much as $175 million, and by the time post-production had wrapped some publications said it was $200 million.

In August 2019, it was reported that the film's official cost was $159 million.

There's plenty of space for innovative films and filmakers and they arguably have better chances at getting noticed today than they did in the 70's because they don't have to convince a major studio to buy their idea first. Scorsese, Lucas, Spielberg, and Cameron succeeded but how many never even got a shot? Today's filmmakers have more options including self funding concepts at extremely low budgets and getting exposure through online distribution.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
In the end of the day, people should just see the MCU for what it is, a return to the cinematic serials of old. Instead of covering pulpy themes, they're covering comic book themes, drawing from 80 years of comic book history. That's what they are, nothing more, nothing less. Just like Indiana Jones or Star Wars tried to do the same thing in reviving these kinds of stories.

That's not inherently bad, and one can watch all sorts of films while still enjoying these sorts of films. I went to see Blade Runner three times in order to support it, and I'm going to keep doing it with any overlooked cineastic masterpiece, doesn't mean I can't also go see Infinity War three times and enjoy it just as much. I was there, back in the day, stanning for Gang's of New York, while the general consensus was, that it's a pretty shit film. Same for Aviator. I was also there when Departed was released and had the direct comparison to what he based his film on, etc.

In the end, I pity anyone who shits on something to try and make themselves more interesting. You're not interesting, you just like looking down on others.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Scorsese acting like no one will make movies with him when he got a 160 million dollar check from Netflix with little to no interference or oversight. It is to laugh.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The joke is making fun of the similarity between both MAGA and obsessive MCU stans being oversensitive to criticism when they are already dominating in society.

It's hilarious, because Scorcese's fans are being so oversensitive to the criticism he receives, that they go as low as comparing people who enjoy the MCU to Nazis.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Continued inflammatory point of comparison and trolling over multiple posts and doubling down after a warning

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is literally not true though, and a totally cynical, one might say over sensitive, misreading of the joke

Except that several people have called how shitty that fucking "joke" and comparison is. Like I said, I could be comparing Scorcese Stans to Gamergaters telling people that they're not real gamers (TM) because they play cellphone games. Would be funny to see how long that would go without me getting banned over it.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Eh.. the reality is that Big Studios have always ebbed and swayed with formulas for what's popular. Remember early Hollywood would regularly sign actors to exclusively work on their films, similarly to what we see today with Producers and broadcast networks. Big studios also regularly shuffled untested filmakers or niche/risky projects to an off label subsidiary complete with smaller budgets all around to avoid tainting their brand *if* the films didn't do well.

At the end of the day the MCU didn't cause any shift. The shift is a cycle that occurs in the film industry, just as it does in a lot of media. It feels much more like he's just lamenting a shift away from what he enjoys most. And it's hard to say that he isn't a bit bitter at the major studios not just giving him a blank check.

He's definitely bitter about it, which I understand. The Martin Scorsese led reunion movie with Bobby, Pesci, Keital, along with Al has been in the works for years; but no studio wanted to fund it. I agree with you about the studios going with whatever will make them money at that time, which I kind of touched on in another post (probably lost in the sea of this thread haha).

Marty got spoiled in the sense that he built his name in a time where the studios had fucked themselves with bad decisions (things like silly musicals no one wanted) and teetered on the edge of bankruptcy; so that brought new people in charge who gave freedom to hungry filmmakers with the money to back them. That bubble wasn't going to last forever though. New Hollywood ended, and there was a new game in town to produce dollars for the studios (Blockbusters). Now that game had evolved further to cape flicks specifically. With the rising cost in production I can understand to a degree why the studios would be hesitant to fund Marty when they can just have a probable sure thing with another superhero movie. It still sucks though. Todd Phillips referred to this when speaking about getting Phoenix to join Joker. I'm paraphrasing, but it was basically a "let's make the movie we want but use this comic book character as a cover" type of fresh.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
He's definitely bitter about it, which I understand. The Martin Scorsese led reunion movie with Bobby, Pesci, Keital, along with Al has been in the works for years; but no studio wanted to fund it. I agree with you about the studios going with whatever will make them money at that time, which I kind of touched on in another post (probably lost in the sea of this thread haha).

Marty got spoiled in the sense that he built his name in a time where the studios had fucked themselves with bad decisions (things like silly musicals no one wanted) and teetered on the edge of bankruptcy; so that brought new people in charge who gave freedom to hungry filmmakers with the money to back them. That bubble wasn't going to last forever though. New Hollywood ended, and there was a new game in town to produce dollars for the studios (Blockbusters). Now that game had evolved further to cape flicks specifically. With the rising cost in production I can understand to a degree why the studios would be hesitant to fund Marty when they can just have a probable sure thing with another superhero movie. It still sucks though. Todd Phillips referred to this when speaking about getting Phoenix to join Joker. I'm paraphrasing, but it was basically a "let's make the movie we want but use this comic book character as a cover" type of fresh.
and phillips turned out to be right considering his move is making a gazillion dollars whereas You Were Never Really Here made jack-shit, which then leads us to blaming the audience as well as studios with what we get. It's the kind of argument thats hard to make.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Cameron's films actually have something going on beneath the surface. Since people keep bringing up T2, there is an earnest, palpable fear of nuclear dread that bubbles all throughout that film that you can tell is very personal to Cameron. And as such, it plays potently. It's memorable and affecting.

Aliens is a brilliant abortion allegory for the Reagan 80s. The script for that film is incredibly smart when you begin breaking it down.

Cameron's climate change fears are something that he has worn on his sleeve since The Abyss, that he was much less subtle about in Avatar, but it is still a potent allegory because his honest passion feeds it. It doesn't feel like a cynical attempt to ride a wave of public opinion.

And this is just talking about thematic depth. Forget the performances Cameron and Spielberg mine in their blockbusters. Ed Harris and Elizabeth M, Weaver in (her Oscar nom'd) Aliens performance, the 'give us a kiss' scene in JAWS or any number of scenes in ET.

Then you can look at craft. How Spielberg and Cameron block their films. The artistry of how they move through a space to convey information visually. Spielberg is second to none and in a league of his own here. While Cameron is the undisputed master of choreographing set pieces.

It is these facets, but also the transportative quality that Scorsese admires in the blockbusters of these two (and Lucas' Star Wars). If you look to Scorsese's love letter to Méliès in Hugo, you'll know how much fondness Scorsese has for the idea of the filmmaker as a magician who is able to convincingly transport an audience somewhere and leave them wondering how they did that.

These are just some of the differences between the work Cameron and Spielberg's popcorn films and the Marvel films Scorsese obviously doesn't have the same admiration for.

I don't think anyone would argue against Spielberg and Cameron being much better directors than pretty much every director working on MCU films. These directors are legends for a reason. I disagree on Marvel films not having anything beneath the surface though, every movie has very clear themes that are explored during the course of their runtime. One could argue that these themes are only touched upon and not explored in depth, which I consider valid criticism, but not that themes don't exist.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious, because Scorcese's fans are being so oversensitive to the criticism he receives, that they go as low as comparing people who enjoy the MCU to Nazis.
It was a joke, relax jeeves. And you are completely missing the point as well. It has nothing to do with racism. Also lol, the true oversensitive people were Scorsese fans all along #Galaxybrain

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It was a joke, relax jeeves. And you are completely missing the point as well. It has nothing to do with racism. Also lol, the true oversensitive people were Scorsese fans all along #Galaxybrain

Comparing people to Nazis over your bullshit Film Elitism isn't a fucking joke. (Since when has Era adapted the "It's just a prank, brah!" mindset anyway? This is toxic as fuck.) And who's even mentioning racism? Speaking as someone who adores Scorcese's output, Scorcese fanboys on this forum are looking incredibly bad.

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing people to Nazis over your bullshit Film Elitism isn't a fucking joke. (Since when has Era adapted the "It's just a prank, brah!" mindset anyway? This is toxic as fuck.) And who's even mentioning racism? Speaking as someone who adores Scorcese's output, Scorcese fanboys on this forum are looking incredibly bad.

Calm down, there is no need to get so upset. Also you keep bringing up Nazis but then ask who is bringing up racism? Me no compute.

Anywho, to counter the weird idea that Martin is some asshole snob who doesn't care about any other filmmakers or is a, gasp, gatekeeper, please view this touching tribute he did to Abbas Kiarostami. Everyone should try see that director's films.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Im howling that the words " Scorsese Stans" and " Scorsese fanboys" are actual things people typed out and posted. What world is this I'm living in

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Calm down, there is no need to get so upset. Also you keep bringing up Nazis but then ask why are you bringing up racism? Me no compute.

Anywho, to counter the weird idea that Martin is some asshole snob who doesn't care about any other filmmakers or is a, gasp, gatekeeper, please view this touching tribute he did to Abbas Kiarostami. Everyone should try see that directors films.

Don't tell me how I'm supposed to feel while you're discounting a shitty ass comparison as "It's just a joke".

Your attempts at gish-gallopping are tiring. There's a meme comparing MCU Stans to the Alt-Right and you, for literally no reason, bring up Racism. Are you one of those "tHe AlT-RiGhT aRe'Nt NaZiS" folks?

And no one's called Martin Scorcese a snob either. The folks throwing shit at people who enjoy MCU films? They very much are.

Im howling that the words " Scorsese Stans" and " Scorsese fanboys" are actual things people typed out and posted. What world is this I'm living in

You mean to say he doesn't have fanboys? Did the MCU take those away too? D:

yepyepyep

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, you should probably calm down. Your heightened emotional response is very disproportionate to the conversation at hand lol.

Also, I am not sure what you are getting at? Like maybe re-read how I replied to you initially , the weird logic you are on doesn't really make any sense to me. It's also getting very accusatory for no reason.

Also, please watch Abbas Kiarostami films.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nah, you should probably calm down. Your heightened emotional response is very disproportionate to the conversation at hand lol.

Also, I am not sure what you are getting at? Like maybe re-read how I replied to you initially , the weird logic you are on doesn't really make any sense to me. It's also getting very accusatory for no reason.

Also, please watch Abbas Kiarostami films.

Do not tell me how to feel. You're the one defending a Nazi comparison as "It's just a joke". You've no authority on if I did, or did not get it, simply because you agree with the meme and find it funny. So miss me with your shitty ass smokescreens trying to talk a toxic meme into something harmless.

PS: I'm familiar with Kiarostami's films. They're a much bigger deal here than they seem to be in America. Thanks for trying to outsnob me, though, it's kind of cute.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I am not sure if you are aware but I didn't post the meme lol. I just explained the joke to Alice because they didn't get it.

Then you're seriously missing something. If a comparison invokes something so politically charged, you're more or less bringing all that with it. No one is gonna read an image like this and go "Ha ha, it's funny because they're both over-sensitive", they're going to think that the two groups share values in the eyes of whomever created it.