• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's right.

Wasn't there a topic that people couldn't hear some dialogue in Endgame because of all the cheering and applauding? Yeah... well.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Mr Mom was the 9th highest grossing film in 1983.

Us out drew Hobbes and Shaw for 8th so far in 2019.

All of these posts about what made what, you know he's referring to the New Hollywood era, right? Which ended in the early 80s. Ever since the major studios have been chasing big money with blockbusters. The directors lost control. Major studios aren't interested in high art films anymore. This wasn't because of the MCU as studios had already changed their focus. It's just gotten to the point now that unless it's a small studio, it's going to be hard to get production started on "high art" films.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Not only that but the MCU killed my Uncle.

723D0A68947F4C4AE5C9A797922384232CE0A9FA

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm not a big Marvel guy, but this--

--doesn't make sense. All three of them have done dumber "theme park movies" than most of the Marvel output, and Lucas in particular is a worse director than most people who have directed a Marvel movie. James Cameron is a style-over-substance director as well. Nobody goes to see a James Cameron film to see a character-driven film. They're action and special effects-driven films.

You misinterpreted the statement completely. it went over your head. He's talking about how most movies that have taken over the theatre are just emulating them rather than doing their own thing.

Lucas, Cameron and Spielberg created the blockbuster and now that's all most movies are at the movie theaters.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Lol

All of these posts about what made what, you know he's referring to the New Hollywood era, right? Which ended in the early 80s. Ever since the major studios have been chasing big money with blockbusters. The directors lost control. Major studios aren't interested in high art films anymore. This wasn't because of the MCU as studios had already changed their focus. It's just gotten to the point now that unless it's a small studio, it's going to be hard to get production started on "high art" films.

Right so holding MCU responsible and calling them an invasion is a bit silly if the issue began in early 80s, which was my point with all these things.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The difference is nobody would act offended or insulted if Avatar was called a theme park-like thrill ride. Probably not even Cameron himself, since that's what Avatar is designed to be like.

Even that isn't really accurate. Avatar's ecology themes are not subtle but they're entirely what the movie is about.

It's not "here's 2 hours of action effects and oh some thing about the environment". That theme is the crux of the movie. You'd have to be a total moron to watch the movie and not pick up on that.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There was posted video comparing Cameron to Michael Bay that illustrated the differences between Cameron's style of storytelling and just "gee whiz bang special effects!" that basically laid that out well.
Even Micheal Bay has his own style of directing, especially when it comes to action set pieces and overall look of his movies

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The difference is nobody would act offended or insulted if Avatar was called a theme park-like thrill ride. Probably not even Cameron himself, since that's what Avatar is designed to be like.
Also Spielberg had this to say about Ready Player One.

"This is not a film that we've made, this is — I promise you — a movie," he informed the sold-out crowd at the Paramount Theatre, which gave him a long, raucous ovation. "It's a movie that's got to be seen on the big screen, and I'm wondering if this is a big-enough screen, because we made this with a lot of ambition to really fill the screens."

I think what Spielberg means with film, is the same what Scorsese means with cinema. Ready Player One isn't cinema, Schindler's List is.

tuhi009

May 1, 2018
These are different times.

Imagine Josh Wheadon saying the same thing about this superhero generation after 20 years or so

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
he's only saying that there is a great distinction between art and reflecting The human condition and how it relates to ourselves and popcorn munching, mindless, action sequences and endless one-liners.

I enjoy a marvel movie as much as the next guy but to not recognize what he's trying to say here is just being stubborn about what is considered art and what is to be considered entertainment

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure Cameron's ass would get on fire if Scorsese said his shit was not cinema.

You know it's true.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP you know damn well this is just gonna be the same bad thread that got closed last time. But let's just go over all the facts.

-Marvel movies are cinema. They are giant blockbuster movies that happen to have the serial storytelling of television, and can ba quite formulaic in their structure and aesthetic choices, but cinema all the same.

-Martin Scorsese is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time who's forgotten more about movies than you'll ever know. Why did people think a 76 year old man needs to give a fuck about Captain America lifting Thor's hammer, I'll never know. But he doesn't need to like them and that's ok.

-Martin Scorsese is not "gate keeping". Gate keeping requires power, control, like a comic store manager keeping a woman out until she can name all the Fantastic Four members. Disney owns 1/3rd of all ticket sales this year. Disney is taking over not just movies, but television as well, until its all one big slurry of "content". Disney has influenced, directly or indirectly, just about everything that gets made in Hollywood today. They are not being gate kept. THEY ARE THE GATE. MCU fans, you are the monoculture. You won! Your style of movies is safe and gets safer every year. It's the auteur pictures from artists like Scorsese that are being gate kept. They are the outside and have to go through Netflix to even get made.
Damn. Haven't seen a post this truthful since your Disney post back at the old place.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Hes right that its a new type of movie, but I find it wierd that he calls it "an invasion". Whos invading what? Makes it sound like an old man take.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Only I read the title as an insult? (before reading the rest)

Like "Lucas, there's only one Spielberg"

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Cameron's films actually have something going on beneath the surface. Since people keep bringing up T2, there is an earnest, palpable fear of nuclear dread that bubbles all throughout that film that you can tell is very personal to Cameron. And as such, it plays potently. It's memorable and affecting.

Aliens is a brilliant abortion allegory for the Reagan 80s. The script for that film is incredibly smart when you begin breaking it down.

Cameron's climate change fears are something that he has worn on his sleeve since The Abyss, that he was much less subtle about in Avatar, but it is still a potent allegory because his honest passion feeds it. It doesn't feel like a cynical attempt to ride a wave of public opinion.

And this is just talking about thematic depth. Forget the performances Cameron and Spielberg mine in their blockbusters. Ed Harris and Elizabeth M, Weaver in (her Oscar nom'd) Aliens performance, the 'give us a kiss' scene in JAWS or any number of scenes in ET.

Then you can look at craft. How Spielberg and Cameron block their films. The artistry of how they move through a space to convey information visually. Spielberg is second to none and in a league of his own here. While Cameron is the undisputed master of choreographing set pieces.

It is these facets, but also the transportative quality that Scorsese admires in the blockbusters of these two (and Lucas' Star Wars). If you look to Scorsese's love letter to Méliès in Hugo, you'll know how much fondness Scorsese has for the idea of the filmmaker as a magician who is able to convincingly transport an audience somewhere and leave them wondering how they did that.

These are just some of the differences between the work Cameron and Spielberg's popcorn films and the Marvel films Scorsese obviously doesn't have the same admiration for.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The phenomenon that is the MCU is uniquely cohesive. I don't think anything at that scale and scope, has ever been done like that in cinema history.

I have already answered this but would 90 movies over 4 decades as well as being some of the most popular movies with the biggest budgets and special effects of the time, popularising the characters and stories to become a part of a global lexicon but were already very popular to begin with. With the films being a mix of connected stories, stand-alone and cross-overs which also established the movie franchise, also by one of the biggest movie studios of the time and were made to a studio style fit the bill?

Come to think of it Universal Monster might have even inspired the Marvel and DC shared universe from the original comics as they were that popular, they definitely had cameos in them.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017
Marvel releases 3 films a year out of thousands. These people need to fuckin get a grip. Count how many movies release in theatres every year and tell me what the ratio is from Low budget to blockbuster.

Last edited:

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Black panther is horribly paced, I almost fell asleep in the damn theater, no joke. You're comparing black panther favourably to terminator 2? Geez
Black Panther has the final confrontation in which you can't literally see the black costumed characters in front of a black backdrop. Horrible cinematography.

BanGy

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I just want the MCU to fuck off so we can stop having this stupid internet fight every few weeks.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's funny that he doesn't consider Marvel movies Cinema and have Hollywood doesn't consider Netflix movies for Oscar runs.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cameron's films actually have something going on beneath the surface. Since people keep bringing up T2, there is an earnest, palpable fear of nuclear dread that bubbles all throughout that film that you can tell is very personal to Cameron. And as such, it plays potently. It's memorable and affecting.

Aliens is a brilliant abortion allegory for the Reagan 80s. The script for that film is incredibly smart when you begin breaking it down.

Cameron's climate change fears are something that he has worn on his sleeve since The Abyss, that he was much less subtle about in Avatar, but it is still a potent allegory because his honest passion feeds it. It doesn't feel like a cynical attempt to ride a wave of public opinion.

And this is just talking about thematic depth. Forget the performances Cameron and Spielberg mine in their blockbusters. Ed Harris and Elizabeth M, Weaver in (her Oscar nom'd) Aliens performance, the 'give us a kiss' scene in JAWS or any number of scenes in ET.

Then you can look at craft. How Spielberg and Cameron block their films. The artistry of how they move through a space to convey information visually. Spielberg is second to none and in a league of his own here. While Cameron is the undisputed master of choreographing set pieces.

It is these facets, but also the transportative quality that Scorsese admires in the blockbusters of these two (and Lucas' Star Wars). If you look to Scorsese's love letter to Méliès in Hugo, you'll know how much fondness Scorsese has for the idea of the filmmaker as a magician who is able to convincingly transport an audience somewhere and leave them wondering how they did that.

These are just some of the differences between the work Cameron and Spielberg's popcorn films and the Marvel films Scorsese obviously doesn't have the same admiration for.

I mean you only need to see the impact these older films have had on society / meme (I mean it in the actual sense of the word not memes on Facebook) etc.

The score from jaws or Jurassic park, the shots in terminator 2 of him walking out of the bar with the leather jacket, liquid metal, shots / setups from aliens (even the motion detector used in the story is amazing in film), and even some of the lines that come out of these films. ET phone home, the shot of ET flying over the moon, etc. these old films are part of the social conciousness now, in terms of visually how they are, how they sound, the characters and dialogue.

that means something. In 20 years time what will we remember from the MCU infinity saga? Serious question. I feel we will remember "I am iron man" and the snap. That's about it though.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I mean you only need to see the impact these older films have had on society / meme (I mean it in the actual sense of the word not memes on Facebook) etc.

The score from jaws or Jurassic park, the shots in terminator 2 of him walking out of the bar with the leather jacket, liquid metal, shots / setups from aliens (even the motion detector used in the story is amazing in film), and even some of the lines that come out of these films. ET phone home, the shot of ET flying over the moon, etc. these old films are part of the social conciousness now, in terms of visually how they are, how they sound, the characters and dialogue.

that means something. In 20 years time what will we remember from the MCU infinity saga? Serious question. I feel we will remember "I am iron man" and the snap. That's about it though.
black panther easily but who knows what would be remembered 20 years from now. Phantom Menace came out 20 years ago and people still actively talk about.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
OP you know damn well this is just gonna be the same bad thread that got closed last time. But let's just go over all the facts.

-Marvel movies are cinema. They are giant blockbuster movies that happen to have the serial storytelling of television, and can ba quite formulaic in their structure and aesthetic choices, but cinema all the same.

-Martin Scorsese is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time who's forgotten more about movies than you'll ever know. Why did people think a 76 year old man needs to give a fuck about Captain America lifting Thor's hammer, I'll never know. But he doesn't need to like them and that's ok.

-Martin Scorsese is not "gate keeping". Gate keeping requires power, control, like a comic store manager keeping a woman out until she can name all the Fantastic Four members. Disney owns 1/3rd of all ticket sales this year. Disney is taking over not just movies, but television as well, until its all one big slurry of "content". Disney has influenced, directly or indirectly, just about everything that gets made in Hollywood today. They are not being gate kept. THEY ARE THE GATE. MCU fans, you are the monoculture. You won! Your style of movies is safe and gets safer every year. It's the auteur pictures from artists like Scorsese that are being gate kept. They are the outside and have to go through Netflix to even get made.

I hereby dub this post of the thread.